BajaNomad

Photo Trip to the Bay of Conception Peninsula

Pompano - 12-28-2013 at 01:15 PM

Recently I had some weird problems with changing huge photo sizes via Photobucket on a thread about Conception Bay’s peninsula. After a long battle, I found it’s far easier to just erase and redo my post on a separate thread with my own computer down-sized photos. (I’d really like to meet the person responsible for the changes on Photobucket.) Oh well, got them sized just right this time…I hope. :rolleyes:

Okay, Christmas festivities are over , the river’s too low for steelhead, and we have a short lull before welcoming the New Year. Time enough to post this information about the BOC’s peninsula for anyone interested in camping or exploring overthere. (BOC in this case means Bay of Conception..or Bahia de Concepcion. Excuse me, I’m trying not to use those shortcuts anymore…after all, I’m not in that much of a hurry these days. Maybe that would make a good New Years resolution?)

Anyway, here you go. It’s a photo trip and general information tips. I enjoyed hunting through my files for these peninsula pictures and providing some earlier threads, but it’s not a ‘how-to-do-it’ thread, just some visuals and tips to give you an idea of what to expect if you’re headed to the peninsula. How you drive, camp, take care of yourself, etc. is up to you, naturally.

First some reading. Below are some archived threads posted on BajaNomads about the Conception peninsula. I think you’ll find great browsing created by previous adventurers.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=8448&page...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=15462#pid1303...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=45350#pid5093...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=45503&pag...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=55285#pid6554...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=60257#pid7262...

Bay of Conception Peninsula

I’ve never kept track of the number of trips I’ve made over there…but I expect it’s quite a few...and always a special time. About 40 years worth now, starting back in the early 70’s. But being conveniently close made those trips easy and often…just 6 miles across from my home in Coyote Bay by boat….or a short drive of about 15 miles around the southern end. I get to do lots of impromptu trips. If I want a quick trip to the Painted Canyon, Baja Patty’s, Jingle Beach, Playa Domingo, or the Mine, I just jump in the boat…or Jeep…and go. I’m there before my beer gets warm.

Here are some photos of the peninsula and it’s approaches…by land and by water. Also some points of interest you might want to explore when over there. As said before, your special gear and supplies on your particular adventure will be up to you, as we are all different in our wants and needs. Your basics for an extended trip are the same as my basics….water, food, shelter, communications, shovel, ax, matches. Me? I pack my cameras and binoculars first. :rolleyes:

SO…HOW ABOUT WE TAKE A LITTLE PHOTO ADVENTURE TO THE PENINSULA?

Your map of the Bay and peninsula.

This photo was taken from the microwave tower road directly across from Pt. Conception. This trio of gals were photo hams and tried to block my shot of the point.

Driving south along the Bay, a good landmark to spot on the highway as you near the southern end of the Bay…the Shell monument. Hah!..more like a grave marker these days after the scallops were decimated. :rolleyes:

About all that’s left of the Bay scallops…huge piles left here and there. One day they were covering the sea floor, the next day the empty shells were covering the desert. Still saddens me.

Turning off the highway near here, this collage shows the southern beaches of the Bay. This is not a good place to leave your rig unattended....even for a few minutes. The last couple decades have seen a huge increase in petty theft, especially in this area. You’ll want to scoot right on by…following a well-worn trail to the east. This area can be treacherous to cross anytime, but always after a rain, so caution is your friend.

A pit stop maybe? CLAMMING
IF you wanted a quick fix of some tasty clams like steamers or chocolates, you can try getting a few from the south bay shore…but don’t get out of sight of your vehicle…or better yet, leave a guard. Of course we all know that clamming is illegal, right? :rolleyes:

A word of caution about wading and clamming…watch out for lots of little sting rays especially towards spring. Ouch times ten! You know about doing the ‘shuffle.’

Rigs to the peninsula
Speaking of driving…..
Over the years, we’ve driven about every form of vehicle you can imagine…including flying a C180 taildragger with tundra tires and camping under the wing. Given the condition of the trails due to weather, we usually take 4x4’s like Jeeps, my 2500Ram, and the like, but have also hiked, motorcycled, boated, and sailed a Hobie cat to adventures galore. To give you an idea of what will work, I’ve made a collage of the various rigs we’ve taken for various outings. The only one I would not take again would be the 25’ Minnie Winnie…too much overhang for some of the ‘vados’. Plus it’s not fun when you get stuck in a downpour.

My trouble-free Vulcan 750…good mule to just about anywhere…mostly good for day trips, but I did ride it once from North Dakota to Coyote Bay.

The V Cactus
As you head east along the South Beach road and get closer to the peninsula, you may come across this old trail landmark…the V cactus. We stopped for a group photo a few times and gave our V-for-Victory salutes.

This V cactus is a good landmark for other reasons besides a good pit stop….straight ahead (mostly ESE) is the trail to San Sabastian Cove…a truly beautiful little bay on the Cortez side of the peninsula. This photo is from back in the day, but it’s still my favorite of this charming anchorage.

Playa Teresa
You’ll find another trail south to Playa Teresa and a fish camp. The long smooth beach at Teresa is one of the most pristine around… and you have it all to yourself. Also next to some fine inshore & offshore fishing.

I’ve often caught some small cabrilla, sierra, and whatevers from the rocky points at Playa Teresa…casting a small crocodile or kastmaster. Plenty for a group when camping out.

Note: You can also take an old rugged trail south from there, but you’re getting away from the peninsula, so we’ll forget that one for now. Lots of trails just end…so don’t go off wandering.. and backtrack if you have to …when you have to.

Old fish camp-Rays
Back at the junction of trails.
Turning off to the left on the peninsula trail….you will pass old fish camp ruins on the shore. This was one many years ago where the ray fishermen did their thing. Naturally, those rays are about extinct these days.

Jingle Beach
A good place to beachcomb and toss a lure. A little further along the shore will bring you to a small point with a shell beach. Called Jingle Beach for as long as I can remember by shell collecting gringos, it’s truly a beachcomber’s heaven. Seems almost every beach over there is called Jingle Beach today…go figure. When the gals …or guys…wanted something that jingled, we’d take them by boat to this place. The little almost transparent covers from the murex shell openings are paper thin and make perfect wind chimes.

All of these home décor shells came from beachcombing trips to Jingle and Domingo Beaches. Just add glue and some imagination.

The Painted Canyon
Along about here you’ll see the eastern trail up one of the valleys into a beautiful place nicknamed Painted Canyon. Lots of early middens and rock paintings here. Here’s an old photo showing one of the Gardner expeditions with some local characters…The Hanging Rock gets a lot of attention then..and now.

You should spend a night or two in this canyon. You may have to walk the last leg, but it’s well worth your effort. The solitude..with lots of peace and quiet..is remarkable. The old Kochimi must have loved it here so many years ago. The place has the feel of their ghosts. You may find some evidence they left behind…like I did.

I found this jabbing me in the back when sleeping in the Painted Canyon near one of the old middens one night. Well, better that than a rattler or scorpion!

Pt. Conception and Playa Domingo
For most of my visits to Domingo Beach, I go by boat…cuz I am usually on my way out of the Bay to go fishing.

I normally will stop at this great beach to rest, clean fish, have a picnic…or go beachcombing for treasures! You’ll be surprised at what you find sometimes…

Here’s an oldie. A Playa Domingo beach stop in 1975 in my old Alumacraft…and handy bimini-umbrella.

Almost 40 years later, I’m still coming ashore here. Everyone loves a stop here…Playa Domingo (Sunday Beach)

The Mine
Now if you want to visit or camp at the old manganese mine on the east side (Cortez side) on the peninsula, here is where you should head over…easy road, but,like any, is subject to weather conditions.

To give you the best views I have, I am showing these photos that were taken from offshore.

Landmark near the Mine is this osprey nest rock…and my buddy with a nice dog snapper. :rolleyes:

Old haul road from mine. Hah, just after I took this photo, a jogger came down the road. Kind of a surprise, but hey, why not? Baja, she’s a changing!

Well, it can get a bit crowded even out there at times…like when a group of kayakers show up. This is a group from NOLS, one of my Coyote Bay neighbors. They have a few water and food caches along this stretch of coast for their 2 and 4 week classes. Years ago I used my cruiser, Pompano, to supply them at certain coves. They’re headed many days south and enjoying a life-changing experience.

Well, that’s about all the photos on the peninsula I could find right now….unless you want to see 5000 pics of fish caught near there? No? Okay, some other time then.

I’ll end this post with a collage of a friendly whale shark we came across one day…on the way into Playa Domingo.

HOPE THAT WAS ENJOYABLE. VIVA BAJA! ……AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRIPS!

[Edited on 1-3-2014 by Pompano]

BajaParrothead - 12-29-2013 at 09:44 AM

Very enjoyable, thanks Roger. Always enjoy your pictorial adventures!! :yes:

desertcpl - 12-29-2013 at 10:51 AM

Love it

wessongroup - 12-29-2013 at 10:58 AM

Thanks for sharing .... great stuff ... :):)

Islandbuilder - 12-29-2013 at 11:33 PM

Hey Roger, thanks for this great report! Too bad some of the pics didn't upload!!

We're working on being in the area next winter with our boat, and I am looking forward to exploring some of these little coves.

Since I haven't been on here for several months, I want to let you know that it is really great to see you posting again! This place isn't nearly as much fun when you're hiding out in a hospital somewhere!

Take care, post more stories, and Happy New Year.

Barry A. - 12-30-2013 at 10:17 AM

Roger--------Excellent subject----excellent photos-----------and well put together.

Thank you very much--------really enjoyed it, as always.

Barry

Pompano - 12-30-2013 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder
Hey Roger, thanks for this great report! Too bad some of the pics didn't upload!!

We're working on being in the area next winter with our boat, and I am looking forward to exploring some of these little coves.

Since I haven't been on here for several months, I want to let you know that it is really great to see you posting again! This place isn't nearly as much fun when you're hiding out in a hospital somewhere!

Take care, post more stories, and Happy New Year.

Thanks to you all for the nice remarks, t'was fun to do.

And also thanks for the heads-up on the photo upload problem, Islandbuilder. I must have moved some file locations, but have it fixed now. Sometimes the wrong keys get punched...:rolleyes:

BornFisher - 12-30-2013 at 04:16 PM

Muy Bueno, gracias!!! Great pics, great adventures, great times!!

David K - 12-30-2013 at 04:36 PM

Thank you Roger! For someone on a 15" monitor, I really appreciate you sizing the Photobucket upload size to 800 pixels!

Vince - 12-30-2013 at 04:42 PM

Your photos are always enjoyable, Roger. One time I was walking along playa Domingo and a roosterfish chased a mullet right up out of the water and at my feet. I picked him up and put him back in the water and he followed us along the beach in shallow water for 100 yards until he felt safe enough to venture back to deep water. I was that mullet's best friend.

David K - 12-30-2013 at 05:56 PM

Great story Vince!:bounce::coolup:

Islandbuilder - 12-30-2013 at 07:51 PM

Thanks for the repair job Roger. What a life!!

CaboDreamer - 1-2-2014 at 06:54 AM

Bravo Roger! A fantastic collage of one of Baja peninsula's finest jewels...Bahia de Concepcion. Mil gracias!

Pompano - 1-2-2014 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Your photos are always enjoyable, Roger. One time I was walking along playa Domingo and a roosterfish chased a mullet right up out of the water and at my feet. I picked him up and put him back in the water and he followed us along the beach in shallow water for 100 yards until he felt safe enough to venture back to deep water. I was that mullet's best friend.

Great memory for you from Domingo Beach, Vince. I can just see that mullet using you for cover on your walk down the beach.

I had a very similar incident about 15 years ago while scouting on a country trail in ND near the Manitoba border. I was driving a marshy area and came upon a rare sight...a bald eagle chasing a snow goose. They flew round and round in tight circles...the eagle getting closer on every turn, the snow goose seemed about to lose the race and become eagle dinner on each next turn. I quickly stopped my suburban and was standing on the trail filming this event with my camcorder, when all of a sudden the snow goose made a beeline straight towards me... The snow flew right by about 20 feet up..and the eagle shied abruptly away at 90 degrees when he saw me. One smart move by the snow goose!

I've always smiled at the memory of that snow goose adapting so quickly...like your mullet. ;)

Bob H - 1-2-2014 at 10:45 AM

That was great! Really enjoyed it... thanks Roger!:spingrin:

TLBaja79 - 1-2-2014 at 11:20 AM

What a great report! Thank you!

JakeinVegas - 1-2-2014 at 12:35 PM

This post was very helpful to get a lay of the land. Thank you for all the hard work gathering this information together.

basautter - 1-2-2014 at 02:46 PM

Thanks for the great pictures! Makes me want to get back to Conception Bay!

AmoPescar - 1-2-2014 at 05:10 PM

ROGER....

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO POST AND CAPTION ALL THE PICTURES!!

AND...for sharing the great wealth of information you have about Baja and especially the BOC area!

Looking forward to seeing you down there someday!

Miguelamo :yes: :D :yes: ;D