BajaNomad

Toyota diesel

David K - 3-5-2014 at 08:49 AM

There are a lot of Tacoma people hoping for a diesel too... wondering if it will come when they finally make the Third Generation Tacoma (body redesign). They also want the Toyota Hilux truck instead of the Tacoma...

monoloco - 3-5-2014 at 09:01 AM

Considering the price of diesel fuel, the increased complexity of modern diesel engines, and the increased maintenance costs associated with them, I can no longer see any benefit to owning them. It's true that they get better fuel economy, but when you factor in the increased cost of the vehicle and all the other expenses, I would guess the cost per mile is much higher now for a diesel vehicle than a gas one.

larryC - 3-5-2014 at 09:27 AM

I agree with mono, I have had diesel trucks since 1980 and now that the costs are so high I doubt that I would buy another one. Not enough benefits.
Larry

wessongroup - 3-5-2014 at 09:59 AM

Got one in 76, think it was around $0.21 ... .. .think gas was around $.65-.70, those were the days ... the wife HATED the diesel .. especially when filling up :lol::lol:

TMW - 3-5-2014 at 10:05 AM

I've never owned a diesel car/truck but have had diesel powered generators and diesel fuel can be a mess. It's my understanding that people who like diesel are usually pulling a large RV and that's where the diesel really shines.

aguachico - 3-5-2014 at 05:47 PM

Diesel kicks ass. Hence the move of all top manufacturers in the US offering what's been available globally for decades. Small diesel vehicles. The blimpin emission controls forced on them have been the bump in the road, but that will soon change.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/02/23/long-las...

edm1 - 3-5-2014 at 07:25 PM

Love my diesels - a 93 vintage Cummins in my motorhome, a 95 vintage Dodge Cummins Dually 3500, and my latest acquisition a 97 VW Passat TDI sedan which does 45 mpg all day long. If not for the 10c per gallon premium for debit card use, i won't hate fuel stops. I stash a bunch of cash in my pocket for fuel nowadays. Screw the banks.

Btw, All of the above are emissions-test exempt!

edm1 - 3-5-2014 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Diesel kicks burro. Hence the move of all top manufacturers in the US offering what's been available globally for decades. Small diesel vehicles. The blimpin emission controls forced on them have been the bump in the road, but that will soon change.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/02/23/long-las...

Where's Dodge in the list?

I have 270k miles on my Dodge Cummins and it's just broken in.

My VW TDI has almost 400k miles and runs like new.

David K - 3-5-2014 at 07:38 PM

Hi Art... good to see you out there!

LancairDriver - 3-5-2014 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
I agree with mono, I have had diesel trucks since 1980 and now that the costs are so high I doubt that I would buy another one. Not enough benefits.
Larry

Agree with this. I just made a trip to Baja in a diesel powered RV, and for this size vehicle diesel makes sense. However, later model diesels all require DEF, diesel emissions fuel, which is in a separate tank and is separate from the main diesel fuel and is an emissions requirement in the US now. Mexico does not require this fuel for emissions, and consequently it is scarce and few places carry it or have heard of it, so for now you have to carry your own. I don't know if the smaller diesels coming up will need this, but would bet they probably will, so plan on adding about 5 bucks a gallon for DEF as an added expense to all of the other mentioned expenses. My RV uses about 10 gallons DEF/300 gallons of diesel fuel which seems about typical from talking with other users. All of the truck stops in the US have DEF pumps right along side the diesel pumps. Walmart sells it in 2.5 gallon container for 12 bucks.

edm1 - 3-6-2014 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Ola David, I ended up buying a property at Cajon Summit, at 4000ft.

David K - 3-6-2014 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Quote:

Like along the 15 towards Hesperia??? That's between Neal Johns and John M.

rts551 - 3-6-2014 at 07:15 PM

Since the 80'sowned ford diesels. Finally this year made the move to gas and switched from Ford. 15 miles later I'm happy and that is all that matters.

Wonder if Toyota will get the message soon. Their Tacoma and Tundra were ranked at the bottom of the 2014 Consumers Reports Best cars ranking that came out this month.

edm1 - 3-6-2014 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Quote:

Like along the 15 towards Hesperia??? That's between Neal Johns and John M.

Yup, Oak Hills. It's 2 miles off the 15.

David K - 3-6-2014 at 07:58 PM

Great! Hope to visit you guys when you're settled in.

Desertbull - 3-6-2014 at 10:00 PM

725,000 miles getting 20 miles a gallon with the majority of this trucks' miles on the dirt roads of Baja. Got my money out of this beauty about 500,000 miles ago.

:lol:

Desertbull - 3-6-2014 at 10:02 PM

725,000 miles getting 20 miles a gallon with the majority of this trucks' miles on the dirt roads of Baja. Got my money out of this beauty about 500,000 miles ago.

4WD Dodge Ram Cummins ....

:lol:

wessongroup - 3-6-2014 at 10:19 PM

Would say so ..

rts551 - 3-7-2014 at 07:48 AM

My experience has been with Ford and Ram diesels that the rest of the truck dies before the motor goes.