BajaNomad

Any musicians on this forum?

Bob53 - 3-11-2014 at 05:52 PM

Just curious if any of you play musical instruments and if so what do you play?

DENNIS - 3-11-2014 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53

The radio. I'm really good at it too. :lol:

Ateo - 3-11-2014 at 06:34 PM

Guitar, Bass, Drums, Keys. Vocals too. Cool topic.

islandhop - 3-11-2014 at 06:50 PM

I've been taking and playing my Banjo to Baja for decades. One of many of my favorite things to do in Baja and life is being in remote Baja is learning new songs and playing my favorites. Recently we put our instruments on donkeys and went on multi day trips in the mountains and played ranchero music with the guides. They haven't ever seen a banjo. I'm headed down soon with the 5 string.

MulegeAL - 3-11-2014 at 07:00 PM

Is,
That is awesome real deal baja.

I have a 5-string here in town. So far as I know, I'm the only one that bonks on a banjo here. My baja banjo went underwater in hurrican Paul, but it came back for another life, like me!

I need to figure out how to carry it on a quad to the remote ranchos without beating it to death! They would love it!

Banjos are life.

Bob53 - 3-11-2014 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Guitar, Bass, Drums, Keys. Vocals too. Cool topic.

That's awesome! I also play. Main instrument is the bass but I also play guitar and a little piano. I have a drum kit but I really don't play that well. I just have them so drummers don't have to lug their kits to my studio.

Bob53 - 3-11-2014 at 07:04 PM

I've always wanted to learn to play the banjo. Just haven't got around to it yet. That and the pedal steel.

woody with a view - 3-11-2014 at 07:09 PM

i can play drums. i lernt from Dennis who is a bongo meastro!

but really, was in a band in H.S.

MitchMan - 3-11-2014 at 07:58 PM

I have been playing guitar for 50 years. I sound like a gifted guitarist who just started playing two weeks ago. I would love to start a rock band where I can be the lead guitarist and lead singer, but I can't find anyone worse at both than me who would be willing to play in a band that will never ever get hired.

Kgryfon - 3-11-2014 at 09:46 PM

I play guitar and harmonica, and congas/drums (not a drum set) a bit. Just started learning guitar last May. Sometimes I sound good on harmonica...sometimes not so much :lol: I have a whole chest of percussion instruments from many different places/countries for jam sessions.

55steve - 3-11-2014 at 11:11 PM

No musicians, just drummers....

jimgrms - 3-12-2014 at 07:55 AM

Owned a guitar for years when i can play like vince gill i will say i am a player .

Bob53 - 3-12-2014 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

How many radios do you have? What style of radio do you play. Did you take lessons or are you self taught?

PlanB - 3-12-2014 at 09:07 AM

Cajon (less stuff to pack) and marimba

24baja - 3-12-2014 at 09:08 AM

I learned to play the spoons at family reunions, played clarinet and recorder in school, Brett is learning acoustic guitar and played trumpet in school.

bajabuddha - 3-12-2014 at 09:14 AM

Blues bassist here (and rock, of course). Used to wail on the guit-fiddle but too old, arthritic and FAT to hit the li'l strings any more. Bass is a new-found love.:cool:

durrelllrobert - 3-12-2014 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I've been playing it daily for the past 65 years but when I'm feeling really creative I play the horses :lol:

Mulegena - 3-12-2014 at 11:05 AM

Al, how fun. I didn't know you play.
How 'bout a banjo backpack for stringing it along on your rides? I'll help you create a tailor-made if you like. Just let me know.

Quote:
Originally posted by MulegeAL
Is,
That is awesome real deal baja.

I have a 5-string here in town. So far as I know, I'm the only one that bonks on a banjo here. My baja banjo went underwater in hurrican Paul, but it came back for another life, like me!

I need to figure out how to carry it on a quad to the remote ranchos without beating it to death! They would love it!

Banjos are life.

Pescador - 3-12-2014 at 11:59 AM

I have played guitar and sung most of my adult life but since retirement, I have really been able to focus on development. We have a group that consists of me, Darlene Humphrey (guitar and vocals) from Alberta, Canada, Bill Hammell (12 string guitar and vocals) that was a boat mechanic for a long time in San Lucas but has now moved over to Asuncion, and our newest addition who is Pepe who was hired to teach guitar and music to the local people as part of a Government Cultural Development program. Pepe is one of the hottest lead guitar players I have had a chance to play with in a long time.
We play every Sunday at the Bahia Restaurant in San Lucas Cove and most Fridays at Los Chibatos restaurant at Punta Chivato. It really helps the restaurants and brings in a good crowd when we play. We are trying to set a date for another restaurant, but will announce more when that one comes together.
We also have a great bass player who we hope will play with us on Sundays as he added a lot to the group before he had to leave and go north.

Bob53 - 3-12-2014 at 12:42 PM

My music career began when I was just a kid. I recorded two albums with Sundance in the early 70s, then went on tour with country star legend Rose Maddox. After that I played in several bands through the years. In 2003, I joined the band RDG. We won instrumental album of the year and performed live on NBC at the Los Angeles Music Awards. Later, we shared the stage with Blue Oyster Cult, Joe Satriani, Gary Hoey, George Lynch, Jefferson Starship and many more. Now I am basically a hired gun. I just do session work and fill in gigs. I am planning on bringing a bass rig, guitar rig and a small drum kit to my house in BOLA for some occasional jam sessions.

[Edited on 3-12-2014 by Bob53]

woody with a view - 3-12-2014 at 01:12 PM

can't wait.....

24baja - 3-12-2014 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
My music career began when I was just a kid. I recorded two albums with Sundance in the early 70s, then went on tour with country star legend Rose Maddox. After that I played in several bands through the years. In 2003, I joined the band RDG. We won instrumental album of the year and performed live on NBC at the Los Angeles Music Awards. Later, we shared the stage with Blue Oyster Cult, Joe Satriani, Gary Hoey, George Lynch, Jefferson Starship and many more. Now I am basically a hired gun. I just do session work and fill in gigs. I am planning on bringing a bass rig, guitar rig and a small drum kit to my house in BOLA for some occasional jam sessions.

Gees Bob, i grew up around Rose Maddox band i the 70's my parents, uncle and friends used to party and jam with them.....funny how small a world we live in. C

Pescador - 3-12-2014 at 02:05 PM

Quote:

Well, you need to make an overnight down here. We now have a 24 Channel mixer, two Mackie Speakers, Microphones,
lots of spirit and fun, and continue to draw good crowds with some people only coming out when we play. Who knew that retirment could be so good.

Bob53 - 3-12-2014 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:

Well, you need to make an overnight down here. We now have a 24 Channel mixer, two Mackie Speakers, Microphones,
lots of spirit and fun, and continue to draw good crowds with some people only coming out when we play. Who knew that retirment could be so good.

Sounds like a blast. I'd love to.

I have a friend that lives down that way. Do you know Ed Hogan?

Bob53 - 3-12-2014 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja
Quote:

Gees Bob, i grew up around Rose Maddox band i the 70's my parents, uncle and friends used to party and jam with them.....funny how small a world we live in. C

One place I remember playing up in Oregon with Rose was the Idleyld Lodge. It used to be a fun little bar back then. That's where our drummer met his wife. I think that place is a bed and breakfast now.

BajaGeoff - 3-12-2014 at 02:42 PM

Fun topic!

I've been drumming since 1988. I have played in bands throughout the years and got to tour around the US several times and also play in Canada, Mexico, Japan, Italy and Germany. It's never been a viable way to make a living but I have seen a lot of amazing places and met some great people because of music!

Bob53 - 3-12-2014 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Fun topic!

I've been drumming since 1988. I have played in bands throughout the years and got to tour around the US several times and also play in Canada, Mexico, Japan, Italy and Germany. It's never been a viable way to make a living but I have seen a lot of amazing places and met some great people because of music!

That's awesome! You're so close. We should jam sometime.

Barry A. - 3-12-2014 at 02:51 PM

Somebody ought to U2U NOMAD "ToneArt" (Tony)--------- he is a long time musician, I understand.

I have a 60+ year old Martin Guitar, but have not played it for many years. What a shame!!!

Barry

Pescador - 3-12-2014 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course he takes fishing lessons from me?;D;):yes:

Bob53 - 3-12-2014 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course he takes fishing lessons from me?;D;):yes:

lol. Is he on here? Haven't talked to him in a while.

Pescador - 3-12-2014 at 04:53 PM

No, they are up in CA right now, probably will be here later this spring.

Bob53 - 3-12-2014 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
No, they are up in CA right now, probably will be here later this spring.

I meant...is he on this forum? If so what is his screen name?

Pescador - 3-12-2014 at 05:19 PM

NO, not on the forum

Pescador - 3-12-2014 at 05:19 PM

NO, not on the forum

Bob53 - 3-12-2014 at 05:31 PM

ok.

ok.

lol

Ateo - 3-12-2014 at 05:35 PM

Here's a link to some music I made back in 2007/2008. Some of it's pretty slow and atmospheric. Track 5 and 6 are a little more upbeat.

https://myspace.com/sleepnorthamericana/music/songs

[Edited on 3-13-2014 by Ateo]

CortezBlue - 3-12-2014 at 05:52 PM

Blues harp
Drums
Vocals

And.
Really good air guitar

High point

Opened for Was Not Was and Donny Osmond in 1989

Don Was complimented me on my blues harp licks

[Edited on 3-13-2014 by CortezBlue]

Bob53 - 3-12-2014 at 06:18 PM

We should start a band from members of this forum and call it "NOMADS"!

bajamedic - 3-12-2014 at 06:45 PM

Bob53, I still have my Gibson EB3L Bass from back in the good old days. I purchased it from a really great bass player Izzy Alvarado, he sold it to me with the condition that I would "never sell it". Izzy toured with several of the rock and roll bands and he was based out of the central valley of California. I also play a little 5 string banjo and really enjoy my quite time on the back porch with a fairly spendy limited edition autoharp. JH

Bob53 - 3-12-2014 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamedic
Bob53, I still have my Gibson EB3L Bass from back in the good old days. I purchased it from a really great bass player Izzy Alvarado, he sold it to me with the condition that I would "never sell it". Izzy toured with several of the rock and roll bands and he was based out of the central valley of California. I also play a little 5 string banjo and really enjoy my quite time on the back porch with a fairly spendy limited edition autoharp. JH

I still have my 72 Fender Jazz bass that I bought from a friend in 74. I don't play it much anymore. It's semi retired. I play an Alembic Stanley Clarke bass now and a few others.

Ateo - 3-12-2014 at 07:07 PM

Fender Telecaster. Twin Reverb baby.

When I retire in Baja I plan on building a basic recording studio/practice space.

I've been too busy with work lately and have neglected my musical needs, supplementing with surfing. All that will change.

durrelllrobert - 3-12-2014 at 07:39 PM

Quote:

Used to go to Bakersfield to hear Rose Maddox. My stepsister was (is?) Lavern Yoakam, a? relative of Dwight and was (is?) married to Bob Peters (Little Bo Pete) a steel player with Johnny Paycheck.

Phil S - 3-12-2014 at 07:50 PM

Bob53 Rose Maddux????? The day I met my wife Wendy, we attended a performance by Rose at a little lounge at Idelyld Park, east of Roseburg Oregon.
We drove up and after parking in the lot, managed to get out of the car couple hours later, and that was when Rose was leaving the lounge!!!!! 35-36 years ago. If ownership makes you a player. I own a Yamaha guitar that my son has tried to sneak out of the house numerous times. I own a clarinet (self taught poorly) A mandolin. A flute (lips are too old & dried out) Several harmonicas of various models (sort of play at these once in a while) Piano (took lessons in l945 for seven years) Own an electric keyboard we carried in our vehicle to Loreto over the years. Somewhere there is a juiceharp (yeah I know it's spelled differently. Just couldn't do it.) And a comb with wax paper. There. That is the end of my musical talent. Oh yes. vocal. Not so great. Can manage the 99 bottles of beer on the wall, without any problems. But that's the extent of it. Dang. Remembered another one. Took accordion lessons in l950 from Mrs. Smith. But never got good at it. Remember one tune still today. Vegetables on Parade. Was a masterpiece. Bet no one has ever heard of that one.

Pescador - 3-13-2014 at 08:43 AM

I have a practice room at my place and one of the beautys of living in a small town is that musicians find their way to my house. There can be issues of language when speaking, but Music is a universal language and we have spent countless hours playing songs back and forth. I can not believe how many songs have a spanish translation version like Jambalaya, Hang on Sloopy, Blue Bayou, 16 Tons, Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys, Etc.
In addition there are great workshops each year at the Mariachi Festival in Ensenada where you get lessons in Mariachi from the experts like Mariachi Vargas. So my repertoire has greatly increased and the cultural lines are a little more blurred.

Bob53 - 3-13-2014 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Bob53 Rose Maddux????? The day I met my wife Wendy, we attended a performance by Rose at a little lounge at Idelyld Park, east of Roseburg Oregon.
We drove up and after parking in the lot, managed to get out of the car couple hours later, and that was when Rose was leaving the lounge!!!!! 35-36 years ago.

It's quite probable that I was performing that night with her. I played with Rose at the Idelyld Lounge on numerous occasions. Small world!

Martyman - 3-13-2014 at 08:54 AM

I was lead singer in a rock band for many years. My most recent musical foray was a 60 voice Bach choir.
No not Barbara Bach...JS!

motoged - 3-13-2014 at 11:19 AM

I used to play guitar a lot (acoustic folk/electric rock/blues)....;but stopped when I bought a TV when I was in late 20's.

I just started playing again three weeks ago....picked up an electric Epiphone in a pawn shop ($80....feels and sounds good)...and just got a Telecaster (Fender Squire Classic Vibe....$400) and a couple of used amps (Roland AVG-3 and Line Six practice modelling amp)....great fun relearning and learning....

BajaLuna - 3-13-2014 at 11:45 AM

We play the Djembe drums!

Them's fightin' words...

Whale-ista - 3-13-2014 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
No musicians, just drummers....

For my drummer friends!

On the other hand, I play piano. I was an accompanist for choral groups back in the day. Alas, it's difficult to take my piano down to see the whales.

motoged - 3-13-2014 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
On the other hand, I play piano. I was an accompanist for choral groups back in the day. Alas, it's difficult to take my piano down to see the whales.

That's okay....the whales probably couldn't play the piano anyway....or if they did, it would be by fluke...:biggrin:

Doug/Vamonos - 3-13-2014 at 04:52 PM

I played the trumpet in Jr. High and first year in high school till I realized what a bunch of geeks we were and got the hell out of that! Got a girlfriend soon after! But as a freshman (1976) we did the Rose Parade. Still remember the song. Now trying to make time to learn guitar. My bro works for Yamaha music in Buena Park and got me an electric and acoustic. But so far I have no guitar talent at all. Did learn to sort of tune them and I dust them once a month.

Kgryfon - 3-13-2014 at 05:06 PM

Great thread. So much talent!

Bob53 - 3-13-2014 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

Used to go to Bakersfield to hear Rose Maddox. My stepsister was (is?) Lavern Yoakam, a? relative of Dwight and was (is?) married to Bob Peters (Little Bo Pete) a steel player with Johnny Paycheck.

I just did a gig a couple weeks ago with a Dwight Yoakam tribute band. It was pretty fun.

toneart - 3-13-2014 at 06:17 PM

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Fast Eddie and The Slow Lernerz. We played the Mulege area a lot.:cool:

Pompano - 3-13-2014 at 06:36 PM

When I was a youngster, all in my family played some kind of instrument, so I was signed up to take piano, saxaphone, guitar & chorus lessons in the hopes something would take. But growing up as a Huckleberry Finn type made me a AWOL student. Probably a good thing, as later in life I became somewhat deaf due to tinnitus. I recall my HS chorus instructor mentioning that even though I couldn't sing a lick, I had good height and could stand in the 3rd row and just mouth the songs.

Music has always been part of Baja for us, and a real plus is that one better understands a nation by listening to it’s music. But, even though I am not one, I have hosted many musicians at mi Baja home and being a photobug have taken their pictures.

Photos below show some musical amigos that I have met in Baja and am pleased to call my friends. Enjoy them like I have.

One of my more musical Coyote Bay neighbors,Joe, has a home on Coronado Island, San Diego and often plays jazz with his retired buddies in the Gaslamp district. Great fun listening to these gents. Joe is playing the guitar.

[Edited on 3-14-2014 by Pompano]

Ateo - 3-13-2014 at 06:48 PM

I had a Cornet once. I left it at the Casbah in San Diego, on accident. I was drunk and after playing "misplaced it."

Bob53 - 3-13-2014 at 07:04 PM

Played a few gigs there years ago with the band GIMIC.

Elena La Loca - 3-14-2014 at 09:29 PM

Bought a soprano ukulele for $20 from a co-worker a few years back. Figured it'd be easier than learning to knit mittens. Took a class at Mira Costa College & even though I have no musical background I really had fun with it. Roberto gave me a beautiful tenor ukulele (complete with a hard case & tuner) - gracias Compadre! - and now I play twice weekly (with Moonlight Beach Ukulele Strummers and Ukulele Society of America) and enjoy the heck out of it. The more I drink the better I sound! Half surprised nobody else has piped in saying they play ukulele...seems to be the rage these days.

bajabuddha - 3-14-2014 at 11:33 PM

Speaking of cornets, my father was a music major in college after WW2, and played cornet in his dance band (Miller/Dorsey/James era) and raised me to play also, and i became a classical french hornist until i tuned in, turned on and dropped out with rock and guitar (no, i didn't play a rock; he just wanted to smack me with one). I still have his R.A. Reynolds silver inlay cornet made in 1938 (he bought it new in high school) and serial #1788 or #1988... it's gorgeous, and since my lip is totally shot i'd love to find a good home for it. So, if someone is or knows a collector, u2u me. Price? For me it's priceless, but i'm willing to listen.

Bob H - 3-15-2014 at 07:54 AM

Started piano lessons in the 4th grade, and continued them for 8 years. Still play today, now and then. Love the piano! It takes me where I want to be sometimes.... And, voice. Sang in the Blue Jackets Choir when I was in the Navy. That was a great experience.

Bob53 - 3-15-2014 at 09:00 AM

There are a lot of musicians on here that are based in the San Diego area. I'm surprised no one has made connections for at least a jam session. This Sunday I will be playing in a three piece featuring Bill Ray on drums (ex drummer for Ike Turner), Les Allen on guitar and myself on bass. We will be playing, unrehearsed, from 2pm till 5pm at a little bar in Fallbrook called Ron's Redeye Saloon. Anyone that can make it should cruise up. We'll be playing a vaiety of blues, country and rock. Hope to see you there!

durrelllrobert - 3-15-2014 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I just did a gig a couple weeks ago with a Dwight Yoakam tribute band. It was pretty fun.

How long have you been in Fallbrook? I used to live on Santa Margarita before I got divorced and moved to Baja.

Bob53 - 3-15-2014 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How long have you been in Fallbrook? I used to live on Santa Margarita before I got divorced and moved to Baja.

I just moved to Fallbrook last November. Before that, I lived in Valley Center for 24 years.

shari - 3-15-2014 at 05:01 PM

great topic...I play a bit of keyboards, violin, drum, but spoons are my favorite!
My husband is a gifted musician with a band that many Nomads have heard.

There is a really cool mini drum set that they have here called Tarola that is a compact snare drum with a cymbal and cow bell that is very versatile and fun to play.

A couple months ago we had a great party with some folks at our campground and a fellow had these awesome travel bagpipes!!!!! and Doug in the next camper is a talented penny whistle player...it was so cool to see them jamming with other guests who were rasta Huichol indian drummers!!!! I so love when all types of musicians get together!

Baja Bucko - 3-15-2014 at 05:04 PM

Guitar and fiddle.......

Barry A. - 3-16-2014 at 01:46 PM

Some ideas for gettin started-----

http://www.youtube.com/embed/96I_UrTOZF0

Barry

Bob53 - 3-17-2014 at 11:12 AM

hahahaha nice!

Banjo

baconjr - 3-17-2014 at 09:43 PM

I have been playing the banjo for almost 50 years.Penned a song and wrote the music for "The Dogs of Tijuana" Award winning video 2nd place Del Mar Fair. What part of Baja are you located?
Quote:
Originally posted by islandhop
I've been taking and playing my Banjo to Baja for decades. One of many of my favorite things to do in Baja and life is being in remote Baja is learning new songs and playing my favorites. Recently we put our instruments on donkeys and went on multi day trips in the mountains and played ranchero music with the guides. They haven't ever seen a banjo. I'm headed down soon with the 5 string.