BajaNomad

Boy, do I miss Amigos....

Santiago - 4-5-2014 at 06:41 AM

I realize that this board never was intended as a fishing board and by the time Fang and gang got tired of the grind even the Amigos was stating to lose it. BD's focus is on large pelagics, the best guides, and who's girl friend has the largest breasts, not that there's anything wrong with that. Just saying it can get a little Jr High'ish over there.

But Redhilltown's posting asking when the Sierra show up between BOLA and Gonzoga really points out the complete lack of weekly info on huge swaths of Baja.
I mean, between BOLA and Punta Chivato I challenge anyone to tell me what's being caught if in fact anyone is fishing these waters.

It used to be that on Thursday night, I went to bed knowing pretty much what was happening, and more importantly what was changing in the fishery along the entire length of the peninsula.

Now Redhilltown has to ask when the effing sierra are going to show up in the northern mid-riff and the only answer I could give was when they might show from seasonal experience.

Folks, where the best fish tacos are or what your dog is doing can be mildly interesting, maybe, but what a lot of us would like to know is where the sierra are right now. What the heck happened??

Pescador - 4-5-2014 at 07:39 AM

I write a weekly report as well as others for Western Outdoor News which can be found on Robin Wade's blog and http://www.bajafisherman.com although it may be a little slow on the update.

I agree that the flavor of the board is like a political discussion but that may be the way that lots of things have gone in the world.

Kinda reminds me of a song that we perform that was done by Johhny Cash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSN1F72QU4

Info

bajaguy - 4-5-2014 at 07:40 AM

OK, so who's girl friend does have the largest breasts????.......and are their photos??????..........sounds like we need a new forum topic :lol:

24baja - 4-5-2014 at 08:16 AM

I'm with you Santiago!

shari - 4-5-2014 at 08:25 AM

Hmmm...interesting point Santiago. I wonder if there are just less people fishing...less fish?...less people wanting to tell other people where the fish are?...less fishing types posting on the internet(maybe they are busy fishing?) or a combination of all those factors.

watizname - 4-5-2014 at 08:45 AM

Hmmmm------fishing?---------Breasts?. Boy, it just doesn't get any tougher than that. :bounce::cool:

Pompano - 4-5-2014 at 09:13 AM

I used to write weekly posts here and on Mexfish about fishing the SOC, especially around the Mulege area. I'm one of those 'oldtimers' now, with a lot of time on the water. Still like fishing the area, but in truth there are so many other better places to fish these days, so I've sort of let that my fish report writing hibernate here on the forum. I do miss the old fishing grounds, but mourn for what has happened to the ecosystem and the fishery through Greed and Stupidity.

I've not written any fish reports on Nomads lately, but still write them, but for my own journal and some other forums & publications regarding saltwater & freshwater places elsewhere...

Certainly Nomads has become less relevant to fishing, which is natural I suppose. Some reasons, maybe? Fishing is not nearly as good as it once was, the economy is the worst ever with a dire future, and many folks are saving the money for something else...like their retirement. On the other hand, it seems that a lot of posts are too insulting, demeaning and used to further political agendas. It's weird behavior by certain characters, but good material for a book chapter. I'm updating my old Baja journal right now.

It sure is fun to write....Of course I promise to never publish it. :rolleyes:

Not much fish info, but....You can check in and read the latest redneck jokes, jibes, criticisms, get bored with all the wornout political arrows, and soap operas. (Novellas?)

As to knowing where the sierra are, I know plenty of fishermen up and down the coast who are still going out every day. They keep up with current fish conditions....they just have never wanted to post it here due to the uncertain climate and possible criticism.

Maybe that will change...I certainly hope so.

willardguy - 4-5-2014 at 09:41 AM

it is ironic that in this day of information technology we get less than we did back when we waited for the mailman to drop off the weeks WON! even though by the time you read it, it was over!:lol:

David K - 4-5-2014 at 11:09 AM

This is the fishing forum, on Nomad. You want more fishing here, then have at it... post more fishing articles, make it YOUR fishing forum! If you think a sub-forum like 'Fishing News' or This Weeks' Catch would help, let Doug know.

Amigos de Baja had everything, for all kinds of Baja fun, as does Nomad... That's were most of us first met online, then in person at Viva Baja and BBBB, before Nomad.:cool:

[Edited on 4-5-2014 by David K]

bacquito - 4-8-2014 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Hmmm...interesting point Santiago. I wonder if there are just less people fishing...less fish?...less people wanting to tell other people where the fish are?...less fishing types posting on the internet(maybe they are busy fishing?) or a combination of all those factors.

Right on!!

BajaNomad - 4-8-2014 at 02:53 PM

Earle, Eric and Trish spent - by their account - around 70 hours (combined) per week keeping up with the Amigos site. Besides managing and moderating the site, they leveraged many connections (70 or more) throughout the peninsula for fishing information which was shared on the website (and prior to that, email, and before that... fax broadcasts).

If someone's got that kind of time to do something such as this again (on a volunteer basis, no less), more power to them. Let me know if I can help in any way.

:)

BajaNomad - 4-8-2014 at 02:59 PM

Site Tracks Ins and Outs of Baja
By PETE THOMAS
June 13, 1997

If you've been traveling the Baja California peninsula recently, you might have encountered some unpleasant surprises.

You might have been among those stopped on Mexico 1 in the El Rosario area, turned back by an on-again, off-again citizen blockade, which has been trying to force the Mexican government to pay overdue wages to road workers and to put at least some of the town's hard-earned tax dollars back into the community.

Or maybe you were among the unfortunate souls whose boats were seized recently in San Quintin or La Paz by fisheries officials who have suddenly decided to crack down on those without proper paperwork.

These same officials might have slapped you with a $250 fine for fishing without a Mexican license, even though--once at your destination--you couldn't find a place that sells them.

Perhaps you've had none of these problems, finding yourself instead with another, stuck on a desolate stretch of highway under a brutally hot sun, because the gas station you had planned on filling up at had no gas left.

If any of these things have happened to you, they might have been avoided, had you logged onto the Amigos de Baja web site at: http://www.geocities.com/thetropics/4888

This column is rarely used to promote or review addresses on the Internet. But given the interest Southlanders have in that vast, desert frontier south of the border, and the unpredictable nature of the peninsula, we're making an exception because, unlike most web sites, Amigos de Baja is not self-serving. Instead, it's a source of valuable information Baja travelers might not be able to find elsewhere.

"If we have anything going for us, it's that we only print the absolute truth with none of that market hype, and no promotional stuff," says Earle Robitaille, who apparently created a monster when he first went on-line last spring. "It's gotten so big, it's getting in the way of my fishing and I tell you, it's [upsetting] me to no end."

Robitaille, 66, is only joking, of course. The retired chief of the Huntington Beach Police Department fell in love with Baja more than 40 years ago, and he enjoys keeping fellow Baja-lovers informed nearly as much as he does traveling down there himself.

Well, maybe not, but he has no choice. The Amigos de Baja web site--which is maintained and updated every Wednesday by Robitaille, his son, Eric, and Eric's girlfriend, Trish Ramsey--receives more than 60,000 hits a month. Robitaille himself spends 25-30 hours a week keeping the site up to date.

Most visitors are interested in the comprehensive fishing reports from around Baja, which are obtained from a network of fleet owners, Baja residents and frequent Baja travelers.

Robitaille is so concerned about the accuracy of his reports that he won't even accept advertisements on his site from fleet owners because he says it will sacrifice his credibility.

In fact, his site has no ads, yet, and is funded solely by Robitaille, who says he may not be able to afford the constant upgrades in software for long.

One of the most popular features is the newly created On-Line Discussion Center, which allows visitors to post questions, converse with one another and generally compare notes about trips to various Baja locales.

It also allows Robitaille to post breaking news--such as the recent road closure, which has since been at least temporarily resolved--without waiting for the regular Wednesday update.

"It's going hog-wild," he says of the new feature. "It's just going crazy. We've had system crashes every weekend for the last four or five weekends because our server just can't handle it. Now we have to find a new server that can handle it."

All this has been a little overwhelming for Robitaille, who acknowledges he had no idea what he was getting into when he had Ramsey design a web page a year ago.

Amigos de Baja started out as a group of 15-20 Baja buffs who would share their experiences via fax.

"I became keeper of the fax," Robitaille says. "After a trip, they would call me and I would let everyone else know with a fax. Then people started moving and I started looking at my phone bill, and I thought, 'This is ridiculous.'

"They all had or were getting computers, so we started doing it by e-mail. We picked up the name 'Amigos' and everything was addressed 'Amigos.'

"Then we started up a web page and within a week we were off and running. People eventually started e-mailing us asking all sorts of questions: about the weather, road conditions, Mexican regulations and a lot of general stuff like that."

Since then, Robitaille has compiled a contact list of 70 people south of the border. Through them he has become even more connected to Baja.

Through his site, he has warned travelers of the dangers of traveling alone, sharing a recent story of a Northern California man and wife who were ambushed and robbed by machete-wielding bandits who broke into their trailer while they slept along a desolate section of road south of El Rosario.

"We're only trying to keep people out of trouble down there, and to let them know where the rip-offs are," Robitaille says.

It was Amigos de Baja that more recently tracked the progress of Tropical Storm Blanca, which appeared to be headed for Cabo San Lucas before fizzling into a mere depression Thursday morning.

It is Amigos de Baja that tries to slip one past its visitors from time to time, just to keep things loose.

An example:

"A rather prim and proper New England lady who was an accomplished fisherperson decided to book a trip to the East Cape of Baja. She wrote to the campground for a reservation.

"Due to her upbringing, she could not directly inquire about the toilet facilities. She came up with the old-fashioned term 'Bathroom Commode.'

"However, she found that she felt embarrassed using that term and she shortened it to BC in her letter. She asked, 'Does the campground have its own BC?'

"Senor Garcia, the owner of the campground, couldn't figure out what BC was intended to mean. After a lot of deliberation he concluded this obviously proper lady must have been asking about the local Baptist church. He immediately sat down and wrote her a reply:

"Dear Madam . . . I take pleasure in informing you that while the campground has no BC, there is one located only nine miles away, and it is capable of seating 200 people at a time. Due to its distance from the campgrounds, many of our guests take a sack lunch and make a day of it.

"The last time my wife and I visited the BC was over two years ago, and it was so crowded at the time we had to stand the entire time we were there. I am sorry to report I do not go as often as I would like, but this is not due to lack of desire on my part.

"As we grow older it seems to become more of an effort, especially in cold weather. I will be happy to take you on your first trip to the BC and sit with you as you come to admire this facility. I would also be happy to introduce you to all the other folks who will be there. This really is a friendly community."

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-06-13/sports/sp-2902_1_baja...

BajaNomad - 4-8-2014 at 03:02 PM

http://www.bajanomad.com/bajanet/

Cliffy - 4-8-2014 at 03:02 PM

Santiago- I'm with you !
I have tried to find a place to get fishing info OTHER THAN BILL FISHING way down south but to no avail.
I would think that with the travel traffic way down that fishing pressure would also be down so posting where and when wouldn't cause too much of a flood of NA anglers running down.
There's got to be a way to get better fishing info for the smaller species all the way down.
We have it with www.wayneswords.com for our local lake (180 miles long!)

Pompano - 4-8-2014 at 03:09 PM

Well, we've just got to get more folks out there fishing and writing reports! Get out of those hammocks!

For some more angling reading, here's a fishing forum from 'The Hull Truth'...pretty good overall Pacific fishing events, but not Baja-specific.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/west-coast-41/

Cliffy - 4-8-2014 at 03:11 PM

BajaNomad
The geocities link does not work
I posted my previous just as you dropped yours in on top of me :-)

Cliffy - 4-8-2014 at 03:14 PM

Bajanomad

The bajanomad/bajanet link is also just a one page dead end

Just passing it along

BajaNomad - 4-8-2014 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy

The article is from 1997! That link hasn't worked in probably more than a decade I'd imagine.

They later moved the site to:
http://www.bajanet.com

Another link that hasn't worked for about a decade. I watched the activity on that domain after it was abandoned. It never dropped back into the domain pool... it was held by the domain registrar for a while, and looks like it was sold by them privately at some point.

David K - 4-8-2014 at 03:19 PM

Earle, Eric and Trish were great lovers of Baja and their Amigos posters actually becoming in person amigos at the get-togethers we had back in 2000-2003...

Oct., 2000, Viva Baja #1:

Earle Robitaille and Trish Ramsey of Amigos de Baja.

Eric Robitaille (Amigos de Baja/ Bajanet.com)

Some amigos at the first Viva Baja, also included...

Amo Pescar (Mike), Doug Means (Baja Nomad), and Kacey Smith (BajaGPSGuide.com). Just behind Mike, is Jack Swords. In the background, at the table are Mike and Mary Ann Humfreville, M, and Graham...

Fred Metcalf, founder of the first Baja message board was also there...

Another huge Baja Internet influence at our party was the late Carlos Fiesta (with Kacey Smith in this photo)...

Even the still active with data David Eidell (DavidE) was present...

13 1/2 years ago and so many of us from Viva Baja #1 are still active. Earle pops in here to Nomad a few times still.

M's BBBB camping parties, Antonio's Baja Cactus cultural fiestas, and Keri's Booksigning events at the Pyramid Resort also were born in the years that followed.

Photos from them are all at http://VivaBaja.com

Time for another party?

Paulina - 4-8-2014 at 04:21 PM

Jim,

I miss those days too. It was my job to fax the Bahia report to Earle for the Amigos board and to Fred Hoctor for WON. There wasn't any other source for fishing info at the time, so I really looked forward it.

"You might have been among those stopped on Mexico 1 in the El Rosario area, turned back by an on-again, off-again citizen blockade, which has been trying to force the Mexican government to pay overdue wages to road workers and to put at least some of the town's hard-earned tax dollars back into the community."

I made a post on AdB about my experience with running that road block. Those were the days!

I still have one unused AdB sticker in my wallet that I'm keeping for some silly reason.

P>*)))>{

David K - 4-8-2014 at 06:28 PM

Even Paulina was there...

Dana Point (DP) Dave and Whistler (Glenn) seated while David K listens in for that secret fishing spot! Paulina is just inside the doorway.

Paulina, I think your El Rosario running the barricade story was re-posted on Nomad?

Bajaboy - 4-8-2014 at 06:45 PM

I thought about this recently as well. I think back in the day, information wasn't as readily available and thus Amigos was the place to share info. I made more detailed notes about my trips, road and fishing conditions, and anything else of note. I appreciated any info I could get and always felt obligated to share the favor.

Today, people in Baja are more connected, information is readily available, and like it or not people are more polarized thanks to tailor made media outlets that only serve certain sectors.

I just got back from Baja and thought about posting a trip report but figured most of the info has already been posted....especially the new road section they are building on the Tecate highway, the long discussion I had with the owner of Hotel La Villa de San Quintin, watching my kids pet the whales, or even monitoring the construction near Udo's casa.

I think technology has changed the audience of Baja Nomads and as such it's unfair to compare it to Amigos. But it's fun to wander down memory lane some times....I do appreciate all of the friendships I've made through the years.

woody with a view - 4-8-2014 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I thought about this recently as well. I think back in the day, information wasn't as readily available and thus Amigos was the place to share info. I made more detailed notes about my trips, road and fishing conditions, and anything else of note. I appreciated any info I could get and always felt obligated to share the favor.

Today, people in Baja are more connected, information is readily available, and like it or not people are more polarized thanks to tailor made media outlets that only serve certain sectors.

I just got back from Baja and thought about posting a trip report but figured most of the info has already been posted....especially the new road section they are building on the Tecate highway, the long discussion I had with the owner of Hotel La Villa de San Quintin, watching my kids pet the whales, or even monitoring the construction near Udo's casa.

I think technology has changed the audience of Baja Nomads and as such it's unfair to compare it to Amigos. But it's fun to wander down memory lane some times....I do appreciate all of the friendships I've made through the years.

after all that, POST A TRIP REPORT, FOR THE LOVE OF NEPTUNE!!!!

Pompano - 4-8-2014 at 08:30 PM

Speaking of fishing and trip reports, I am missing the old handwritten scripts you used to find laying around at sportfishing lodges like Rancho Buena Vista, The Avalon Club, San Carlos Sportfishing Lodge, and the like. Most were reports of so many marlin, dorado, sails and what pound test, water temps, duration of fight, and enjoyments of the day.

One classic at Buena Vista went like this....

"Snow getting deeper, wolves drawing closer..

Fear navigator drinks."

Santiago - 4-8-2014 at 08:38 PM

All right, all right, you can never go home again and all that. I think Pompano and BajaBoy have hit it - everyone has just quit posting results of their fishing unless something unusual has happened. It feels a little stupid to say we went fishing and got some fish.

I'm as guilty, if that word is appropriate, as anyone else. But the result is that Redhilltown had to actually ask if the sierra had shown up in a place that has a dozen boats at least on any given day - and I don't think he actually got a real-time answer.

Until Bajaboy posts a new trip report...

David K - 4-8-2014 at 08:40 PM

... you can enjoy his photos from his July 2001 trip report on this web page we made at VivaBaja.com. It includes Bahia San Rafael, Bahia de los Angeles, Bahia San Luis Gonzaga, a downpour near El Arco (I think)... HERE: http://www.vivabaja.com/zac_pics/index.html

BajaNomad - 4-8-2014 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy

The article is from 1997! That link hasn't worked in probably more than a decade I'd imagine.

They later moved the site to:
http://www.bajanet.com

Another link that hasn't worked for about a decade. I watched the activity on that domain after it was abandoned. It never dropped back into the domain pool... it was held by the domain registrar for a while, and looks like it was sold by them privately at some point.

Here ya go:

http://q87.us/1hAK1NK

http://q87.us/1ehLwpN

[Edited on 4-9-2014 by BajaNomad]

Skipjack Joe - 4-8-2014 at 10:18 PM

I agree that the amigos fish reports were valuable and something to look forward to. But when they closed their site I thought Kira's Mexfish reports filled in really well. It was after that closed down that things really went south.

The trouble with the fish reports on nomads is that they are posted to promote an area. They are used to attract fishermen's dollars. So you are never certain how good it will be once you arrive. Yes, I've experienced a lifetime of 'you should have been there yesterday' quotes after going to a hot place. But that's usually because conditions change and fish move.

Amigos and Mexfish had reports from guys returning and just wanting to tell you how they did. To me they were far more trustful.

Have you noticed that the 'reports' from sources on this board never include anything stating that fishing was not so good, or just average? It's always, woo hoo, yellowtail are biting. Yet those are really exceptional times of the year.

So my criticism would be that a little bit of more truthful reporting would be appreciated. By dishonest, I mean, deception in the form of omission.

---------

Oh and the other thing great about the old reports is that they included fishing experiences off the beaten track, and not, for example, what the guides at Loreto brought in. I miss those kind of reports especially.

Doug/Vamonos - 4-9-2014 at 07:18 PM

I used to post lots of stuff on the different sites. And I still do from time to time. And I used to ask lots of questions about fishing in Baja. What I've learned (for me personally) is I don't want anyone else to know about fishing in Baja. I want it to myself and my friends. I don't want americans coming here and buying property. I don't want them bringing their fancy boats. I don't want to see them in the restaurants. I like Baja the way it is and the way it was. It fits me well. I no longer bring my brothers, sisters in law, friends, etc. I only share my pics and videos and fish reports with friends who feel the same. I like a quiet day on the beach. I like peace and serenity on the water. Not a bunch of gringos crowding MY Cortez. Yes, I'm totally selfish about Baja. But it feels right to me.

Bajaboy - 4-9-2014 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

after all that, POST A TRIP REPORT, FOR THE LOVE OF NEPTUNE!!!!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73183
:P

Lobsterman - 4-10-2014 at 06:23 AM

One point has not been made on the lack of fishing posts. Flaming the poster. A few of you take great pleasure denigrating a fishing poster if their actions, comments or opinions is other than your own. Remember the recent pic and report from a proud dad catching a few small dorado around Rancho Leonero. You would think he murdered someone. Do you expect he will ever post another fishing report on this forum? A respectful reply of your opinion on catching small dorado into today's SOC would have sufficed. This is not OT.

I posted a comment once about releasing rockfish for another day and Pescadore flamed me for that. Why post fishing comments, actions or adventures if a few legends in their own minds will only flame you for it. Here's what I recently posted on BDs about a similar event.

Page45:
"I gave up after 14 pages looking for a question or answer from SeanG or others on what the alleged multiple opahs looked like that he saw. I've fished the SD waters (1-2 times a week) for over 30 years and have not seen an opah but many molas some just outside SD Bay.

Some of you guys were a little tough on SeanG. A respectful reply looking to verify what he saw and helping him understand the law and regulations using a spear gun from his boat and the fish he tried to catch would have been the sporting way to reply. We are sportsman and gentlemen on this board aren't we? What you did is chase SeanG away from ever posting his catch again.

Posters like SeanG is what made this board the most informational SC fishing forum there is and has pointed me in the right direction and at the right place at the right time, many times since it started just like many others on this board. Thus saving me thousands of $ in fuel costs or into locations I never fished at before.

SeanG has not posted since this thread. One less lead to where the fish are biting. A wise man once said something like this, "He that is without sin among you, let him be the first to cast a stone." seems appropriate in this situation.....While I'm one who would not harvest a mola, your opinion and my opinion on molas are just that "our opinions" that others may or may not follow. Some fish for sport and others to feed their families.... He only posted twice before in the same month before some of you guys took great pride in flaming him. He is obviously a rookie angler and needed our help being a better steward of ocean fishing before he gets himself into trouble with the F&G and/or takes fish unnecessarily. Some offered help but most did not."
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/opah.505612/page-45

[Edited on 4-10-2014 by Lobsterman]

msteve1014 - 4-10-2014 at 07:22 AM

Good point Lobsterman.
You can't tell people you caught a bunch of fish without being called a pig.
You sure better not tell anybody that you keep grouper, bsb, or calicos.
Don't even think about posting a picture of a billfish.

So what do I put in the report? The gps numbers?

Fishing....

Norm - 4-10-2014 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Good point Lobsterman.
You can't tell people you caught a bunch of fish without being called a pig.
You sure better not tell anybody that you keep grouper, bsb, or calicos.
Don't even think about posting a picture of a billfish.

So what do I put in the report? The gps numbers?

Norm - 4-10-2014 at 08:05 AM

We just got in from a nice windy trip out of LA-PAZ !!!! We have fished in BAJA FOR A LONG TIME..... This trip was for here three days to much wind & not very good for fishing...Went from spirit island to the bay of the dead + 88 .On 88 there was no bait on any shark buoys. Went to all the places to look for sierra, non to be found. It looks like the wind did a good job of moving all the fish south !!& Just what we need is the full MOON !!!!!!

Fish on , some time !!!!!!:(

Skipjack Joe - 4-10-2014 at 08:48 AM

I once had a mola removed ....

Lobsterman - 4-10-2014 at 05:41 PM

msteve1014,

A few years back I fished and camped at Daggetts at LA Bay. I met a guy who was selling his close by house and building another on at La Bocana. I do not remember his name and lost his card. We swapped many fish stories and shared a few drinks. He was a retired forest service officer from I believe Montana or that area. Do you know him? I'm planning a trip there this summer or to BA and would like to get ahold of him. This area is the only area I have not fished in Baja and am in a continuing search for a year round fish camp home and staging area for adventures further south. To me SOC is too hot and southern Baja is too far.

msteve1014 - 4-10-2014 at 06:06 PM

I do not know of anyone here from Montana. Could he be from Idaho? We have a few of them. Did he have a plane? Come check out La Bocana. I will be back around June.

DENNIS - 4-10-2014 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lobsterman
msteve1014,

A few years back I fished and camped at Daggetts at LA Bay. I met a guy who was selling his close by house and building another on at La Bocana. I do not remember his name and lost his card. We swapped many fish stories and shared a few drinks. He was a retired forest service officer from I believe Montana or that area. Do you know him? I'm planning a trip there this summer or to BA and would like to get ahold of him. This area is the only area I have not fished in Baja and am in a continuing search for a year round fish camp home and staging area for adventures further south. To me SOC is too hot and southern Baja is too far.

If it was around 200 years ago, it might have been Skeet. :lol: