BajaNomad

Cataviña ambulance fiasco!

Marla Daily - 5-9-2014 at 05:05 PM

It was a horrific drive to Loreto ~ three accidents in two days: an overturned big rig outside of Tecate blocked the highway for more than an hour while gruas arrived; 20 km. north of Cataviña a morotcyclist headed north was hit by a big rig trailer headed south; and there was a head-on south of Muleje.

In the case of the motorcycle accident, the rider had a bad compound fractured leg. We were second on the scene. Couldn't move him, so we went to Cataviña for help. Their ambulance was parked on display on the side of the highway just north of the hotel, with orange cones blocking highway passage, while two young girls collected money in cans "for the ambulance." We said the ambulance was needed immediately, and we got blank stares in return! Apparently it isn't even used. Inside the hotel they were able to call El Rosario for help. Probably Antonio's ambulance I'm guessing.

If anyone learns of the motorcyclist's condition, please add it to the thread. He was with his brother on a separate bike who was not hit.

David K - 5-9-2014 at 05:37 PM

DESERT HAWKS ambulance service, El Rosario, details: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71485

DENNIS - 5-9-2014 at 06:06 PM

They use an ambulance for a prop to collect money. How sad. I'll remember this every time the Red Cross is cluttering the intersections.

Terry28 - 5-9-2014 at 07:23 PM

Very nice that you stopped to help..It seems you did what you could and that is all one can ask.....

redhilltown - 5-9-2014 at 11:38 PM

Kudos to you for stopping to help. I think of these situations while driving the new and major road to San Luis Gonzaga (and beyond)...where are the "ambulances" going to come from????

BajaNomad - 5-10-2014 at 12:06 AM

Terrible news. :(

It was almost certainly the Desert Hawks that were called. It was noted previously that their area stretched as far south as Cataviña.

A link to their FB site, along with emergency contact# is at the very bottom of every page on the BN forums. Scroll down.

https://www.facebook.com/HalconesdelDesierto
Emergency #: (616) 103-0262

[Edited on 8-2-2014 by BajaNomad]

woody with a view - 5-10-2014 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
They use an ambulance for a prop to collect money. How sad. I'll remember this every time the Red Cross is cluttering the intersections.

anyone remember the little white sticker with the red cross they'd stick on your window when you gave to the cause? we'd sport those like a badge!!!

rts551 - 5-10-2014 at 07:53 AM

Just horrible. I think we should have the Nomad investigative unit look into this!

DENNIS - 5-10-2014 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:

anyone remember the little white sticker with the red cross they'd stick on your window when you gave to the cause? we'd sport those like a badge!!!

They still do that.

woody with a view - 5-10-2014 at 08:07 AM

haven't seen em for 20 years....

grace59 - 5-10-2014 at 08:11 AM

When they collect for the Cruz Roja in San Felipe they still put the little sticker on your windshield.

gnukid - 5-10-2014 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Just horrible. I think we should have the Nomad investigative unit look into this!

What more of an investigation do you need?

Support actual verifiable emergency health services not those who claim to be something while they are not.

Here are a few recent stories of trouble in Cruz Roja, for those who need translation - https://translate.google.com

http://colectivopericu.net/2012/08/09/cruz-roja-de-bcs-de-ma...

http://colectivopericu.net/2012/04/11/quieren-llevarse-3-amb...

http://colectivopericu.net/2014/01/06/inestabilidad-en-cruz-...

absinvestor - 5-10-2014 at 08:25 AM

I love Mexico, have lived there full-time twice but have pointed out more than in many ways you get what you pay for. I had a neighbor in Punta Banda die of a heart attack while we waited almost 2 hours for an ambulance and a couple of years ago it took well over an hour for an ambulance to arrive at Playa El Burro. It can happen in the US but much more common in Mexico. Those living in Mexico can not realistically expect similar service to what is commonly received in the US.

DianaT - 5-10-2014 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Why do I keep hearing wind whistling over my head? :-)

absinvestor, I agree. It is what it is and people just need to be aware.

[Edited on 5-10-2014 by DianaT]

Desert Hawks

bajaguy - 5-10-2014 at 08:38 AM

What can you do to help???

If each Nomad on this board driving on Hwy 1 would stop at the El Rosario PEMEX and donate $20, Antonio could stock and maintain his volunteer ambulance service.

It's really easy.......Antonio's office is on the second floor above the PEMEX station.

I did it, how about you???

Remember, you may need that ambulance one day

woody with a view - 5-10-2014 at 08:43 AM

great idea! will stop in june7.

rts551 - 5-10-2014 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

If each Nomad on this board driving on Hwy 1 would stop at the El Rosario PEMEX and donate $20, Antonio could stock and maintain his volunteer ambulance service.

It's really easy.......Antonio's office is on the second floor above the PEMEX station.

Even better I donated through Paypal.

link to Info:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71485

[Edited on 5-10-2014 by rts551]

Marc - 5-11-2014 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They still do that.

I had those stickers lined up on my old van wind wing like fighter pilot kills. Haven't seen them for ages.

Hook - 5-11-2014 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

They're not doing that in Baja anymore? They are very common over here.

So is decent ambulance service. :light:

There might some differences in terrain and distances, though, compared to Baja. :biggrin:

[Edited on 5-11-2014 by Hook]

DENNIS - 5-11-2014 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
They're not doing that in Baja anymore? They are very common over here.

Still doing it here too. "No tickee.....no money"

Does the San Felipe abulance.......

neilm81301 - 5-11-2014 at 08:21 AM

....... go as far as Gonzaga?
that's a great new road, still, plenty of places for a wreck.
Especially if los troquederos start using it.

Neil

wilderone - 5-11-2014 at 01:34 PM

Antonio should put his information about the Desert Hawk Amulance service - the same as posted on another thread here - on small flyers, about 6"x6", and pass them out with payments and change for gas at the gas station in El Rosario. Put a Donate jar for Desert Hawks at the cashier window. They could collect money daily. Also, just good info to have with you.

Marla Daily - 5-11-2014 at 05:05 PM

Can someone who knows Antonio please ask if they picked up the man on the motorcycle on the afternoon of May 8 and if he made it to surgery somewhere? His compound leg fracture was bad.

I'm still rattled over the ambulance at Cataviña being a prop! Who would know ~ until it is needed?! An ambulance from El Rosario was at least two hours out from the time of the accident.

mtgoat666 - 5-11-2014 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
An ambulance from El Rosario was at least two hours out from the time of the accident.

The risks and benefits of rural countryside... In very remote areas, sometimes best if good Samaritans stabilize and transport,... The ambulance crews are often poorly trained and equipped anyhow,...

rts551 - 5-11-2014 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
Can someone who knows Antonio please ask if they picked up the man on the motorcycle on the afternoon of May 8 and if he made it to surgery somewhere? His compound leg fracture was bad.

I'm still rattled over the ambulance at Cataviña being a prop! Who would know ~ until it is needed?! An ambulance from El Rosario was at least two hours out from the time of the accident.

He has a facebook page where they stated they picked up the injured man.

Marla Daily - 5-11-2014 at 07:57 PM

April 10 is the latest post I can find on their facebook page. Can you post the link please?

rts551 - 5-11-2014 at 08:04 PM

Shoot now I can't find where I saw it.

Marla Daily - 5-12-2014 at 06:45 AM

We have twice transported three car accident victims lengthy distances from the site of their accidents to medical help ~ two college kids doing over 80 that rolled their car 5 times north of Cataviña; and a drunk rancher who went off the road and through the windshield on New Years day while making a beer run at sunrise in the sierra fifteen miles east of La Purisima.

In the case this week of the motorcyclist with compound leg fractures, he was best moved by professionals. He needed a stretcher and a way he could be kept prone. Going for help was the only option.

ncampion - 5-12-2014 at 07:22 AM

Marla, you sure seem to have bad luck driving Hwy 1. Hope to see you in Loreto in a few days. We'll be sure to stop and donate some bucks to Antonio in El Rosario on our way down.

¡ Andele ! Con Gusto !

DavidE - 5-12-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:

Yeah, it's sad to think that so many have the opportunity to help but so few actually do anything about it. Donations can be accepted online, or at the gasolinera. For those who think "it doesn't matter" I believe in KARMA. Get sideswiped by a 22-wheeler, and when there is no money for gasoline for the ambulance, the chickens are going to come home to roost.

DavidE - 5-12-2014 at 09:59 AM

80 Km south of El Rosario,

Two cars went down into the barranca. Four other cars were there before me. All of the gente were standing on the side of the highway. I looked over the edge. I saw clothing strewn all the way down. The cars at the bottom were crushed and doors were ripped open. "Son niños" one woman said pointing at the little bodies.

Stuff like this rips a piece of a person's heart out. The scab remains for life.

rts551 - 5-12-2014 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Quote:

Yeah, it's sad to think that so many have the opportunity to help but so few actually do anything about it. Donations can be accepted online, or at the gasolinera. For those who think "it doesn't matter" I believe in KARMA. Get sideswiped by a 22-wheeler, and when there is no money for gasoline for the ambulance, the chickens are going to come home to roost.

Yes. Sad...or taking a bus the the border and you can't quiet make it.

DavidE - 5-12-2014 at 03:25 PM

I can't QUITE make out what you're bubbling about. Have YOU donated ah-mee-goh? Or haven't you QUIET got around to it yet?

David K - 5-12-2014 at 03:48 PM

Baja Cactus El Rosario is at Km. 57... adding 80 km. to that puts you between Guayaquil (turnoff to village north of highway) and San Agustin (abandoned Pemex and hwy. maintenace buildings).

tiotomasbcs - 5-12-2014 at 03:58 PM

There should be a few signs in El Rosario asking for donations to DesertHawks rescue effort. From just change to a $20 up to a $100 or mas it would be a big help. Just a reminder that the next part of the Peninsula is muy peligroso and without services! Go slow, Amigo. Tio:cool:

DavidE - 5-12-2014 at 05:51 PM

It's the damned 22 wheelers cutting blind curves that scare the hell out of me. They know if they smack something it'd have to be big for them to suffer physically.

Before folks get all excited about primer auxilios better ask ENSENADA DOCTOR about accidents, victims, saviors, and then liability.....the criminal kind.

rts551 - 5-12-2014 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I can't QUITE make out what you're bubbling about. Have YOU donated ah-mee-goh? Or haven't you QUIET got around to it yet?

My friend....you already have forgotten how they took care of you... shame.... and yes even though its none of your friggen business I have donated more than once...Its why I keep putting the link up.

David K - 5-12-2014 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
There should be a few signs in El Rosario asking for donations to DesertHawks rescue effort. From just change to a $20 up to a $100 or mas it would be a big help. Just a reminder that the next part of the Peninsula is muy peligroso and without services! Go slow, Amigo. Tio:cool:

Antonio has some class, and it took a lot to post here asking for donations.

Nice that other Nomads come forward to help promote his efforts, for they are indeed magnificent.

Desert Hawks did help Peter...

BajaCactus - 9-1-2014 at 08:01 PM

Marla... sorry for the so delayed response but I did not see this thread when it was posted.

The person you are referring to is Peter Rooney. We went all the way to the place of the accident from El Rosario and we found him still on the pavement. Just imagine how much time he had to endure until we arrived. If we would not been here, the closest ambulance is Red Cross north of San Quintín, 100km north from El Rosario.

Peter suffered multiple fractures in his right femur, knee, tibia and fibula, plus several contusions all over his body. By the time we arrived he was also dehydrated.

We stabilized him, applied splints and prepared him to transport. We took him to Col. Guerrero where he was attended and due to the severity of his injuries he required immediate surgery, therefore we ended up taking him all the way to the San Ysidro border. He was operated on in the States 10 hours later.

A couple of weeks later we heard from one of his brothers he was out of danger and recuperating.

We do our best down here to help. Right now our volunteers have been studying for several months to become certified EMT's. We have our evaluations and exams in November.

Cataviña still does not have trained personnel nor equipment, therefore Desert Hawks has to be active all the way down there. We have a huge area to cover, that is why we are looking for a second ambulance and a light rescue truck to better respond to emergencies.

Who knows, maybe in the future we could accommodate a small airplane to cover this area, therefore becoming true "Desert Hawks"... everything can happen.

Antonio Muñoz
Desert Hawks Rescue Group
Non Profit Organization

[Edited on 9-2-2014 by BajaCactus]

DianaT - 9-1-2014 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus

We do our best down here to help. Right now our volunteers have been studying for several months to become certified EMT's. We have our evaluations and exams in November.

Cataviña still does not have trained personnel nor equipment, therefore Desert Hawks has to be active all the way down there. We have a huge area to cover, that is why we are looking for a second ambulance and a light rescue truck to better respond to emergencies.

Who knows, maybe in the future we could accommodate a small airplane to cover this area, therefore becoming true "Desert Hawks"... everything can happen.

Antonio Muñoz
Non Profit Organization

It is such a huge area that you are covering and what you are doing is great --- --- keep up the good work

Tioloco - 9-1-2014 at 09:32 PM

Antonio,
Muchas gracias por todo!
It is truly great what you are doing. I hope to stop by and meet you on my next trip south. Again, thank you!

Paulina - 9-1-2014 at 10:44 PM

When we passed through El Rosario in early July, Antonio was holding the collection can in the road towards the south end of town. We thanked him then and want to thank him again now.

We appreciate what you are doing, Antonio. Thank you.

Paulina y Dario

BajaCactus - 9-2-2014 at 08:59 AM

I really do not like to ask for donations on the highway, we have only done it 3 or 4 times in these year and a half. Seems to me kind of tiresome for those traveling thru Baja.

However, in these past months I have come to realize that the only way to keep a volunteer rescue group is by requesting donations and involving the community, there is simply no other way. Last June, after one year of services, our ambulance broke down and we had to do repairs and mechanical maintenance. We spent over $11,000 pesos and had no choice but to do this type of activity.

Thankfully we got a great response and were able to gather the necessary money to fix it.

Thanks to all of you for your trust, help and support!!!

Antonio Muñoz
Non Profit Organization

shari - 9-2-2014 at 09:20 AM

it may be a wee inconvenience to travelers but as Antonio proved..getting donations in the can on the highway is a VERY effective method of raising money and valid in my opinion...every time we put money in the Red Cross can we think...it might be us next waiting for that ambulance! Thank you Antonio for all you do

Mexitron - 9-2-2014 at 09:56 AM

Thanks Antonio, great work you're doing!

bajalearner - 9-2-2014 at 10:19 AM

I always want to know the cause of motorcycle accidents because I ride mine everyday. I add it to the defensive driving file in my head.

If someone hears some facts or opinions of the cause, I would like to hear it.

Neal Johns - 9-2-2014 at 06:53 PM

Antonio is the man, he helped immensely a few years ago when my Tacoma rear end broke at Mission Santa Maria. I drove to El Rosario in front wheel drive and he gave me a free room and bought parts in Tijuana and shipped them down, where they were installed by his mechanic. His - now wife - was the go-between and did a great job in spite of my only 200 words of Spanish.
Neal

Motorcycle accidents...

BajaCactus - 9-4-2014 at 01:44 PM

BajaLearner... we have been called to help in several motorcycle accidents around here. Curiously most of them happened to US citizens that, because of the severity of the injuries we ended up transporting them all the way to the border. Here you have some examples:

-- North of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a couple was riding a motorcycle southbound when a cargo truck, in a curve, invaded their lane and ripped off all flesh and muscles from the leg of a lady riding in the back. Driver lost control and both ended up on the asphalt with several contusions and broken bones.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1 on a curvy area: Rider was driving southbound and on a curve a semi trailer invaded his lane hitting the motorcycle left mirror, sending the driver of balance and rolling over the asphalt. He resulted with several fractures and shattered bones in his left leg, plus contusions all over his body.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a motorcycle driver, around 60 years old had a CVA (Cerebrovascular Accident) loosing consciousness while driving and rolling over in his motorcycle.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a motorcycle driver going south bound suddenly encounters a cow on the Higway and crashes with it, sending him off the highway, ending up with 7 broken ribs, fractured femur and several contusions all over his body.

-- South of El Rosario, off road: a group of three friends were driving on some roads towards the beach, when suddenly, after coming out of a curve, they encounter the only truck in 50 kms around that was transporting cattle in that area. Out of three drivers one of them was unable to avoid the truck and ended up in a frontal collision. Driver suffered a fractured hip, broken femur, dislocated shoulder and several contusions all over his body.

In this year and a half we have being doing our best to help people in distress around this area, we have helped in other motorcycle accidents, but these are the most representatives.

I hope these examples help in someway BajaLearner.

Antonio Muñoz
Non Profit Organization

woody with a view - 9-4-2014 at 02:31 PM

"only cattle truck in 50 kms!" :lol: that's some luck!

I guess you never know when your number will be called.....

Gonzo - 9-4-2014 at 03:49 PM

First off thanks to Anthony for his good work. Notice most of the accidents are south of El Rosario. That stretch of winding road is certainly one of if not the most dangerous sections of the hiway. I just returned from BA after not going to deep Baja for 2+ decades with my 13yr old son and the one thing that troubles me about going more is THE hiway. We had two close calls the worst just S. of El Rosario towards the beginning of the curvy section. An F-350 bobtail cargo truck with the extra wide mirrors heading/speeding south thought it was ok to use 2-3ft of my lane on a downhill, banked righthander. I had nowhere to go other than driving off a cliff so all I could do was lay on the horn and come to an almost complete stop. The look on his two passengers faces as the driver was trying pull his truck back into his lane was of complete terror. Thankfully it all worked out. But it does give pause as a father taking my son on such a dangerous road. One good thing I did notice heading back were multiple survey crews working the Catavina area hopefully they'll be doing some widening in that area soon.

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by Gonzo]

Dirtroaddoug - 9-4-2014 at 04:16 PM

Sorry to intrude. Why are people saying "desert hawks"? I'm reading "desert frogs" on the facebook page.

David K - 9-4-2014 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirtroaddoug
Sorry to intrude. Why are people saying "desert hawks"? I'm reading "desert frogs" on the facebook page.

Wrong page... :light:

Here is the right page: https://www.facebook.com/HalconesdelDesierto

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by David K]

Ambulances

roundtuit - 9-4-2014 at 05:40 PM

Maybe no one realizes that Mulege has Bomadros ambulance in town and one at El Burro beach also a fire truck. The on the beach consists of Mexicans and Gringos who work hand and hand. Usually there is a retired nurse on seen

woody with a view - 9-4-2014 at 05:51 PM

Bomberos

scene

roundtuit=great handle!

KurtG - 9-4-2014 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
BajaLearner... we have been called to help in several motorcycle accidents around here. Curiously most of them happened to US citizens that, because of the severity of the injuries we ended up transporting them all the way to the border. Here you have some examples:

-- North of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a couple was riding a motorcycle southbound when a cargo truck, in a curve, invaded their lane and ripped off all flesh and muscles from the leg of a lady riding in the back. Driver lost control and both ended up on the asphalt with several contusions and broken bones.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1 on a curvy area: Rider was driving southbound and on a curve a semi trailer invaded his lane hitting the motorcycle left mirror, sending the driver of balance and rolling over the asphalt. He resulted with several fractures and shattered bones in his left leg, plus contusions all over his body.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a motorcycle driver, around 60 years old had a CVA (Cerebrovascular Accident) loosing consciousness while driving and rolling over in his motorcycle.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a motorcycle driver going south bound suddenly encounters a cow on the Higway and crashes with it, sending him off the highway, ending up with 7 broken ribs, fractured femur and several contusions all over his body.

-- South of El Rosario, off road: a group of three friends were driving on some roads towards the beach, when suddenly, after coming out of a curve, they encounter the only truck in 50 kms around that was transporting cattle in that area. Out of three drivers one of them was unable to avoid the truck and ended up in a frontal collision. Driver suffered a fractured hip, broken femur, dislocated shoulder and several contusions all over his body.

In this year and a half we have being doing our best to help people in distress around this area, we have helped in other motorcycle accidents, but these are the most representatives.

I hope these examples help in someway BajaLearner.

Antonio Muñoz
Non Profit Organization

I've done at least two motorcycle trips to Mulege and points south each year for 40 years now and have been extremely fortunate in never having any sort of misfortune on the highway. I know that no matter how cautious, bad things can happen but that applies to any road anywhere. I have often told fellow riders that the secret to making good time on Hwy 1 is knowing where to go slow. Next month will mark 40 years since I first aimed a '73 CB750 down that almost new highway and I'm planning two or three rides between Oct. and next Spring. I admire the work that Antonio is doing and Kathy and I send a few bucks each month. Hope we never need his help.