BajaNomad

Nice Life!

chuckie - 5-30-2014 at 08:53 AM

Elinvstig8r told me to have a good life and that set me to thinking...I have had and do have a good life! Aside from dealing with the problems age brings (I'll be 80 in a couple of weeks) and becoming somewhat of a curmudgeon, life is good. This year I'll be elk hunting with my boys, bird hunting in Saskatchewan, Montana, North Dakota, Colorado, New Mexico. I will work with "Outdoor Buddies" a non profit group whose mission is to help severely handicapped folks enjoy the outdoors. Of late many of those people are wounded warriors. I have been working with Buddies for 18 years. Trips, other than hunting are planned to Magdalena NM for oldtimers days and rodeo, Kanab Utah for "Western legends week" Lotsa cowboy poetry, good food and music and a great area. I still shoot competitively and will be at the NRA Whittington center in June for a "Vintagers" shoot.
I am fortunate to have lived in Mulege for 35 years more or less, in a permanent home, which I have now given up. I will be back when it gets cold here in the high country tho. I have lived and worked all over this country, and in such garden spots as Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Holland, Vietnam and Australia..No, NOT in the Military....
I fish several days a week, shoot trap every Wednesday ...stay busy...I have been married to some very nice wives, 3 good kids, lotsa grandkids and great grandkids...
SO thanks to Elinvestig8r for reminding me of all that..stay well all

motoged - 5-30-2014 at 10:28 AM

Chuckie,
Yep....things could be worse. Good for you for helping folks get out there....:saint:

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2014 at 11:23 AM

..and of course you never take any of your guns down to Mulege :spingrin:

chuckie - 5-30-2014 at 11:33 AM

Never have actually.....Back in the day, when we were still allowed to hunt there was an old Pump gun in town that could be "rented"..cant remember the guys name who had it...

elgatoloco - 5-30-2014 at 11:38 AM

Nice indeed.

vgabndo - 5-30-2014 at 01:02 PM

Chuckie, you've got a decade on me, but this age status does seem to invite retrospection and evaluation, and if I'm the Master Sargent's chit bird, I'm proud of it. I was such a boy when I joined the Marines that I grew two inches while I was in. The experience has always effected me deeply. I was 5'-5"/145 when I went in, and I needed to prove that I could take what they had to give. I excelled and made rank out of boot camp, a 10%er. I haven't thought much about my physical size since then. I've never seen a food stamp and wouldn't recognize a welfare check. I've voted in every national election since I was 21. I've never been arrested, and my last moving violation was when my '89 Rx-7 GTUX was brand new. :lol:

Until I moved to Baja, I'd spent 42 years in the same community. I've spent years as a board member or as Executive Director of our local history museum in Mt. Shasta. I was named a co-historian for the city. I have regularly presented on local history for civic and other groups. Since 2007 I've been involved in the ManKind Project. I stand fully in support of their mission, our mission. I am not a chitbird.

I am camped across the street from the Campo Sirena that many of you know. In the Beach House, Juan's band is practicing. A while ago I noticed they were practicing "Them old cotton fields back home", I thought it odd and looked it up. The Willie and the Poor Boys version was a #1 hit in Mexico in 1970. Many Mexican groups covered it.:coolup:

Yeah, my life is good too. Thanks for reminding me.

chuckie - 5-30-2014 at 01:29 PM

Man, I wish I was there with you...Say hi to Juan and give Shari a pat on the...no, never mind Stay well

shari - 5-30-2014 at 01:38 PM

Pat taken...gracias.

Lee - 5-30-2014 at 01:56 PM

Nothing like putting words to a name.

God bless you man and you are among the blessed living a good life. And in advance, Happy 80th -- in gaelic tradition:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Skeet/Loreto - 5-30-2014 at 02:05 PM

Thanks to all of your Good works and enjoying life!!
I too joined the Navy spent 4 years and they Paid me $120 Month to go to School
Engaged in many of the Safety Programs and was a Campus policeman .
Graduated and was hired as a Special Investigator for the State of Calif assigned to Hollywood and South Central La. Sure learned about a lot of different people.
Decided to get out of the Police Business and ended up an Aircraft Accident Investigator.
The Best thing I ever did was meeting my present Wife she was 24 and I was48,been together 34 years.
The Second best thing I ever did was become FreeMason in Hollywood in 1960
The Third Best thing was going to Loreto Baja Sur and spending 35 years on and Off building RanchoSonrisa with my Mexicano Friends.

Now I am a member of the Khiva Shrine and Mule Skinners riding a Mule in the parades and Drill Team, doing all kinds of things to Raise Money for the Childrens Hospitals.
Life is Great at 83 and I am looking for much more time in this Great United States of America!!!

Alright, Chil'dren, ya'all gather 'round...

Mulegena - 5-30-2014 at 04:11 PM

Grab a seat and your beverage of choice and enjoy a little kick-back music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCy8Xtp2P20

motoged - 5-30-2014 at 05:15 PM

Nuthin' like a bit of Joe Walsh to get the toe tappin'.....:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_qHU_6Ofc0

CP - 5-30-2014 at 07:03 PM

One of the nicest strings I have followed in a while. Thanks, Y'all.
And I thought Chuckie was in his forties. Almost 80?!
Well, I have never been good at guessing ages. Or weights.
Especially on-line.
:)

MulegeAL - 5-30-2014 at 09:14 PM

Chuckie,

You only got 18 or 19 years on me. I would be happy with a paragraph of half of what you have accomplished and experienced! I say good on 'ya!

Working on it, working on it, if you can call it work. Rode the old Barlow Trail twice today in perfect conditions, it was awesome end to end! And shot pistols that hit what I aimed at!

Tomorrow me takes a really fun gal for a wheelie-filled ride on the 950A, life is good here!

And early happy birthday to you!

SFandH - 5-31-2014 at 03:56 AM

Chuckie,

Congrats to you and others here that have made it to 80!! I hope I'm so fortunate. Perhaps working with groups like "Outdoor Buddies" contributes to longevity. I like to think so. Good on you!

vandenberg - 5-31-2014 at 06:44 AM

Happy Birthday Chuckie.
I'm a year and a half behind you and have close to 25 years here in Loreto. Never any regret.
Life is good and staying healthy seems to be the trick.:o:biggrin::biggrin:

Pescador - 5-31-2014 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo

I am camped across the street from the Campo Sirena that many of you know. In the Beach House, Juan's band is practicing. A while ago I noticed they were practicing "Them old cotton fields back home", I thought it odd and looked it up. The Willie and the Poor Boys version was a #1 hit in Mexico in 1970. Many Mexican groups covered it.:coolup:

Yeah, my life is good too. Thanks for reminding me.

I am finding more Mexican songs that are re-writes of original songs that were popular in the US. Cotton Fields is great, Sixteen tons, and Los Tralieros del Norte did a son which was redone from Credence Clearwater's "Willie and the Poor Boys" called En La Esquina. When we do it at the restaurant in San Lucas Cove it always is a big hit.

Here is the You tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AoXydsM8JE

BajaBlanca - 5-31-2014 at 07:52 AM

What a great way to start this day! Fantastic job, y'all!

bajalearner - 5-31-2014 at 08:07 AM

It is nice to hear about the life and times of another nomad and especially such an interesting life. If Mulege is good enough for you, I must go there and see it for myself!

bajalearner - 5-31-2014 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I've never seen a food stamp and wouldn't recognize a welfare check.

I haven't either and I have worked since throwing the San Francisco Examiner paper with 76 customers at about 12 years of age. (That was a thick Sunday paper!) And I retired from a police agency with a service retirement not a disability. Trumped up or otherwise.

Nice to hear some of your life.

David K - 5-31-2014 at 09:19 AM

Happy 'early' Birthday Chuckie!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

chuckie - 6-1-2014 at 01:33 PM

Thanks DK!

Barry A. - 6-1-2014 at 01:51 PM

I have always thought that we had some very quality people here on NOMADS, and you guys just proved it. I applaud all of you.

barry

Ateo - 6-1-2014 at 02:00 PM

Nice life? Sure. Think of all the years you spent not even being alive, until your mommy and daddy chose to create you. =) Next thing you know, you're alive, but for a very brief time. Make the most of it. You will be dead soon. No one gets outta here alive. Happy Sunday! I'm going surfing.

Pescador - 6-1-2014 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Nice life? Sure. Think of all the years you spent not even being alive, until your mommy and daddy chose to create you. =) Next thing you know, you're alive, but for a very brief time. Make the most of it. You will be dead soon. No one gets outta here alive. Happy Sunday! I'm going surfing.

Only if you are stuck in a paradigm that only allows that particular view. Seems rather narrow and not too productive to me.

chuckie - 6-1-2014 at 02:27 PM

Hey, we will all outlive him...His outlook will shorten his life....Think Pizza..

Pescador - 6-2-2014 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Hey, we will all outlive him...His outlook will shorten his life....Think Pizza..

Do they serve Pizza in Heaven. Sure hope so.

ELINVESTIG8R - 6-2-2014 at 07:33 AM

A sincere Happy birthday Chuckie! May God grant you many more!

durrelllrobert - 6-2-2014 at 07:39 AM

Quote:

I'm certainly thankful that my parents were IGNORANT OF BIRTH CONTROL. :tumble:

Ateo - 6-2-2014 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:

Only if you are stuck in a paradigm that only allows that particular view. Seems rather narrow and not too productive to me.

Hmmmmm. Can you tell me what I'm missing? What is your wide and super productive secret? ;D

I've accomplished a lot in my life. Productivity is enhanced when you know your time is limited.

[Edited on 6-2-2014 by Ateo]

vandenberg - 6-2-2014 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Do they serve Pizza in Heaven. Sure hope so.

Doubt it !!
Need the heat in the devil's kitchen for good pizza.

Besides, what makes you think you're going to heaven.:biggrin::no:

[Edited on 6-2-2014 by vandenberg]

chuckie - 6-2-2014 at 10:28 AM

Good point! I'm pretty sure about me, I would worry about Pescador....Pondering...

vgabndo - 6-2-2014 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think this qualifies as a Hitch Slap. And isn't intended as an attack. Hitch put this better than I ever could.

“About once or twice every month I engage in public debates with those whose pressing need it is to woo and to win the approval of supernatural beings. Very often, when I give my view that there is no supernatural dimension, and certainly not one that is only or especially available to the faithful, and that the natural world is wonderful enough—and even miraculous enough if you insist—I attract pitying looks and anxious questions. How, in that case, I am asked, do I find meaning and purpose in life? How does a mere and gross materialist, with no expectation of a life to come, decide what, if anything, is worth caring about?

Depending on my mood, I sometimes but not always refrain from pointing out what a breathtakingly insulting and patronizing question this is. (It is on a par with the equally subtle inquiry: Since you don't believe in our god, what stops you from stealing and lying and raping and killing to your heart's content?) Just as the answer to the latter question is: self-respect and the desire for the respect of others—while in the meantime it is precisely those who think they have divine permission who are truly capable of any atrocity—so the answer to the first question falls into two parts. A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless' except if the person living it is also an existentialist and elects to call it so. It could be that all existence is a pointless joke, but it is not in fact possible to live one's everyday life as if this were so. Whereas if one sought to define meaninglessness and futility, the idea that a human life should be expended in the guilty, fearful, self-obsessed propitiation of supernatural nonentities… but there, there. Enough.”
― Christopher Hitchens, Hitch-22: A Memoir

I see Jon's statement as liberating and true. ALL the evidence is that we have this one short life, and without each one of us and our ability to experience our surroundings, the universe, as we know it, would have no conscious sense of itself. We are star stuff. We are also lucky to be alive in that brief time in human history when we have an amazing understanding of our planet but that information is at our fingertips as a result of the same technological progress which will almost certainly bring humanity to a pre-mature end. Go surfing. :lol:

[Edited on 6-2-2014 by vgabndo]

durrelllrobert - 6-2-2014 at 11:09 AM

vgabndo posted "Since you don't believe in our god, what stops you from stealing and lying and raping and killing to your heart's content?) Just as the answer to the latter question is: self-respect and the desire for the respect of others—while in the meantime it is precisely those who think they have divine permission who are truly capable of any atrocity"

..but, at least in the Catholic religion, your priest (a mere mortal) has the divine ability to forgive you for your transgressions.

chuckie - 6-2-2014 at 12:17 PM

WOW! This went downhill fast! Thanks for the Bday wishes, Elinvestig8r, stay well

Ateo - 6-2-2014 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
vgabndo posted "Since you don't believe in our god, what stops you from stealing and lying and raping and killing to your heart's content?) Just as the answer to the latter question is: self-respect and the desire for the respect of others—while in the meantime it is precisely those who think they have divine permission who are truly capable of any atrocity"

..but, at least in the Catholic religion, your priest (a mere mortal) has the divine ability to forgive you for your transgressions.

It is my belief that the only person who can forgive me is the person I have wronged.

chuckie - 6-2-2014 at 01:27 PM

Thanks for sharing

bajabuddha - 6-2-2014 at 01:51 PM

Jeez, Chuck; at least it got clear to the 2nd page before somebody had to interject either politics or religion;
May you live 100 years
May you drink 10 beers
Get plastered, you .... *******
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!

vgabndo - 6-2-2014 at 07:18 PM

those pesky minorities acting up again.....we return you now to your regularly scheduled beer and pizza.

chuckie - 6-2-2014 at 07:49 PM

The simple life...

bacquito - 6-4-2014 at 12:08 PM

You should be content and proud and look forward to an exciting future

BajaGringo - 6-4-2014 at 12:41 PM

Congratulations chuckie - sounds like you have it made amigo!

Today, Cristina and I celebrate our 9th anniversary and will be celebrating our "third birthdays" together in September. We are so very, very thankful for what we have and even the very fact that we are here to enjoy it.

Man, how time flies by when your having fun...

chuckie - 6-4-2014 at 02:35 PM

And I am still having fun..stay well...