Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Nice Life!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 08:53 AM
Nice Life!

Elinvstig8r told me to have a good life and that set me to thinking...I have had and do have a good life! Aside from dealing with the problems age brings (I'll be 80 in a couple of weeks) and becoming somewhat of a curmudgeon, life is good. This year I'll be elk hunting with my boys, bird hunting in Saskatchewan, Montana, North Dakota, Colorado, New Mexico. I will work with "Outdoor Buddies" a non profit group whose mission is to help severely handicapped folks enjoy the outdoors. Of late many of those people are wounded warriors. I have been working with Buddies for 18 years. Trips, other than hunting are planned to Magdalena NM for oldtimers days and rodeo, Kanab Utah for "Western legends week" Lotsa cowboy poetry, good food and music and a great area. I still shoot competitively and will be at the NRA Whittington center in June for a "Vintagers" shoot.
I am fortunate to have lived in Mulege for 35 years more or less, in a permanent home, which I have now given up. I will be back when it gets cold here in the high country tho. I have lived and worked all over this country, and in such garden spots as Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Holland, Vietnam and Australia..No, NOT in the Military....
I fish several days a week, shoot trap every Wednesday ...stay busy...I have been married to some very nice wives, 3 good kids, lotsa grandkids and great grandkids...
SO thanks to Elinvestig8r for reminding me of all that..stay well all

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 10:28 AM

Chuckie,
Yep....things could be worse. Good for you for helping folks get out there....:saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 11:23 AM

..and of course you never take any of your guns down to Mulege :spingrin:

Bob Durrell
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 11:33 AM

Never have actually.....Back in the day, when we were still allowed to hunt there was an old Pump gun in town that could be "rented"..cant remember the guys name who had it...

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 11:38 AM

Nice indeed.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 01:02 PM

Chuckie, you've got a decade on me, but this age status does seem to invite retrospection and evaluation, and if I'm the Master Sargent's chit bird, I'm proud of it. I was such a boy when I joined the Marines that I grew two inches while I was in. The experience has always effected me deeply. I was 5'-5"/145 when I went in, and I needed to prove that I could take what they had to give. I excelled and made rank out of boot camp, a 10%er. I haven't thought much about my physical size since then. I've never seen a food stamp and wouldn't recognize a welfare check. I've voted in every national election since I was 21. I've never been arrested, and my last moving violation was when my '89 Rx-7 GTUX was brand new. :lol:

Until I moved to Baja, I'd spent 42 years in the same community. I've spent years as a board member or as Executive Director of our local history museum in Mt. Shasta. I was named a co-historian for the city. I have regularly presented on local history for civic and other groups. Since 2007 I've been involved in the ManKind Project. I stand fully in support of their mission, our mission. I am not a chitbird.

I am camped across the street from the Campo Sirena that many of you know. In the Beach House, Juan's band is practicing. A while ago I noticed they were practicing "Them old cotton fields back home", I thought it odd and looked it up. The Willie and the Poor Boys version was a #1 hit in Mexico in 1970. Many Mexican groups covered it.:coolup:

Yeah, my life is good too. Thanks for reminding me.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 01:29 PM

Man, I wish I was there with you...Say hi to Juan and give Shari a pat on the...no, never mind Stay well

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 01:38 PM

Pat taken...gracias.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 01:56 PM

Nothing like putting words to a name.

God bless you man and you are among the blessed living a good life. And in advance, Happy 80th -- in gaelic tradition:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 02:05 PM

Thanks to all of your Good works and enjoying life!!
I too joined the Navy spent 4 years and they Paid me $120 Month to go to School
Engaged in many of the Safety Programs and was a Campus policeman .
Graduated and was hired as a Special Investigator for the State of Calif assigned to Hollywood and South Central La. Sure learned about a lot of different people.
Decided to get out of the Police Business and ended up an Aircraft Accident Investigator.
The Best thing I ever did was meeting my present Wife she was 24 and I was48,been together 34 years.
The Second best thing I ever did was become FreeMason in Hollywood in 1960
The Third Best thing was going to Loreto Baja Sur and spending 35 years on and Off building RanchoSonrisa with my Mexicano Friends.

Now I am a member of the Khiva Shrine and Mule Skinners riding a Mule in the parades and Drill Team, doing all kinds of things to Raise Money for the Childrens Hospitals.
Life is Great at 83 and I am looking for much more time in this Great United States of America!!!
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 04:11 PM
Alright, Chil'dren, ya'all gather 'round...

Grab a seat and your beverage of choice and enjoy a little kick-back music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCy8Xtp2P20

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 05:15 PM

Nuthin' like a bit of Joe Walsh to get the toe tappin'.....:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_qHU_6Ofc0

Don't believe everything you think....
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 07:03 PM

One of the nicest strings I have followed in a while. Thanks, Y'all.
And I thought Chuckie was in his forties. Almost 80?!
Well, I have never been good at guessing ages. Or weights.
Especially on-line.
:)
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 09:14 PM

Chuckie,

You only got 18 or 19 years on me. I would be happy with a paragraph of half of what you have accomplished and experienced! I say good on 'ya!

Working on it, working on it, if you can call it work. Rode the old Barlow Trail twice today in perfect conditions, it was awesome end to end! And shot pistols that hit what I aimed at!

Tomorrow me takes a really fun gal for a wheelie-filled ride on the 950A, life is good here!

And early happy birthday to you!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 03:56 AM

Chuckie,

Congrats to you and others here that have made it to 80!! I hope I'm so fortunate. Perhaps working with groups like "Outdoor Buddies" contributes to longevity. I like to think so. Good on you!

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 06:44 AM

Happy Birthday Chuckie.
I'm a year and a half behind you and have close to 25 years here in Loreto. Never any regret.
Life is good and staying healthy seems to be the trick.:o:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo

I am camped across the street from the Campo Sirena that many of you know. In the Beach House, Juan's band is practicing. A while ago I noticed they were practicing "Them old cotton fields back home", I thought it odd and looked it up. The Willie and the Poor Boys version was a #1 hit in Mexico in 1970. Many Mexican groups covered it.:coolup:

Yeah, my life is good too. Thanks for reminding me.

I am finding more Mexican songs that are re-writes of original songs that were popular in the US. Cotton Fields is great, Sixteen tons, and Los Tralieros del Norte did a son which was redone from Credence Clearwater's "Willie and the Poor Boys" called En La Esquina. When we do it at the restaurant in San Lucas Cove it always is a big hit.

Here is the You tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AoXydsM8JE

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 07:52 AM

What a great way to start this day! Fantastic job, y'all!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 08:07 AM

It is nice to hear about the life and times of another nomad and especially such an interesting life. If Mulege is good enough for you, I must go there and see it for myself!
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I've never seen a food stamp and wouldn't recognize a welfare check.

I haven't either and I have worked since throwing the San Francisco Examiner paper with 76 customers at about 12 years of age. (That was a thick Sunday paper!) And I retired from a police agency with a service retirement not a disability. Trumped up or otherwise.

Nice to hear some of your life.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.