BajaNomad

And now there is "C"

chuckie - 6-9-2014 at 01:48 AM

Clarissa? Claude? Carmen? Forming up south of Acupulco..up to 80% already...:?:

Osprey - 6-9-2014 at 04:23 AM

Christina.

Up real early this morning. The marlin/dorado bite is on strong right in front of my house out about 2 miles.

[Edited on 6-9-2014 by Osprey]

chuckie - 6-9-2014 at 04:31 AM

Mundane....

Osprey - 6-9-2014 at 04:33 AM

Mundane season doesn't start till November 2nd.

chuckie - 6-9-2014 at 04:49 AM

Oh! That's right, had it mixed with up germane...

DENNIS - 6-9-2014 at 07:10 AM

Cucaracha would be a pretty name:

http://www.cyclocane.com/hurricane-forecast/

beware the chicks

willardguy - 6-9-2014 at 09:13 AM

here's REAL science even DavidK can't dispute!:lol:

CNN) -- Apparently sexism isn't just a social problem -- if you're in the path of a hurricane, gender bias might actually kill you.
A study suggests people prepare differently for hurricanes depending on whether the storm has a male or female name.
"Feminine-named hurricanes (vs. masculine-named hurricanes) cause significantly more deaths, apparently because they lead to a lower perceived risk and consequently less preparedness," a team of researchers wrote in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
In other words, a hurricane named "Priscilla" might not make people flee like a hurricane named "Bruno" would.
Dire forecast as climate change looms
The study analyzed death rates from U.S. hurricanes from 1950 to 2012.
It suggests that changing a severe hurricane's name from Charley to Eloise could nearly triple its death toll.
"For severe storms, where taking protective action would have the greatest potential to save lives, the masculinity-femininity of a hurricane's name predicted its death toll," the study said.
Hurricane Katrina in 2005, which left more than 1,800 people dead, was not included in the study because it was considered a statistical outlier. Neither was Hurricane Audrey in 1957, which killed 416 people.
The study does note that both of those very deadly hurricanes had female names.
Forecasters: Fewer storms in the Atlantic this year?
Questioning the data
But not everyone buys the team's hypothesis. Jeff Lazo of the National Centre for Atmospheric Research said the pattern is most likely a statistical fluke, according to National Geographic.
He notes that all hurricanes had female names until 1979 -- meaning the study included 29 years without male hurricane names.
That's significant because hurricanes have generally gotten less deadly over time, Lazo told National Geographic.
"It could be that more people die in female-named hurricanes simply because more people died in hurricanes on average before they started getting male names," Lazo said.
Study: Experiments back up the claim
But the researchers said they didn't just analyze death tolls from actual hurricanes, they also conducted a series of experiments to test their hypothesis.
In one experiment, participants predicted the intensity of 10 hurricanes -- five with female names and five with male names. The male hurricanes were deemed more intense -- regardless of the gender of the participant.
In another test, participants were asked to judge the risks of a hypothetical "Hurricane Alexander" and a "Hurricane Alexandra." Despite being told both had uncertain intensity, respondents considered Hurricane Alexander to be riskier.
A third experiment tested whether participants would be more likely to evacuate due to a "Hurricane Christopher" vs. a "Hurricane Christina." As expected, more people would flee their homes if Hurricane Christopher came barreling toward them compared to an impending Hurricane Christina.
Why name hurricanes anyway?
Giving hurricanes short, easy-to-remember names helps reduce confusion when two or more tropical storms are brewing at the same time, the National Hurricane Center said.
For decades, all hurricanes were given female names in part because hurricanes were unpredictable, the study said, citing the "Encyclopedia of Hurricanes, Typhoons and Cyclones."
"This practice came to an end in the late 1970s with increasing societal awareness of sexism, and an alternating male-female naming system was adopted," the report said.
Each year's list of hurricane names is alphabetical, alternating between male and female monikers.
If you're trying to get your name on the hurricane list, don't bother. A U.N. World Meteorlogical Organization committee has already set up six years' worth of names. The lists repeat after each six-year cycle.
"The only time that there is a change is if a storm is so deadly or costly that the future use of its name on a different storm would be inappropriate for obvious reasons of sensitivity," the National Hurricane Center said.
This year's list of names include "Omar" and "Sally." It's unclear how people might prepare differently if caught in the paths of those storms.
Breaking down the climate report by region
Fast facts: Hurricane statistics
A look at the 2014 Atlantic hurricane season
CNN's Ben Brumfield contributed to this report.

shari - 6-9-2014 at 09:26 AM

Holy Hannah...that is soooo interesting! and why I love reading Baja Nomad forums...ya learn something new every day..thanks willard!

vandenberg - 6-9-2014 at 09:44 AM

Willard,
May have something to do with the fact that only for the last decade storms have had male names. Before that they were all female names.
Someone must have felt slighted :biggrin::biggrin:

cocoscabana - 6-9-2014 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

He notes that all hurricanes had female names until 1979 -- meaning the study included 29 years without male hurricane names.

While there is good info in the article, this statement is incorrect. 1951's most dangerous storm was Hurricane Charlie...I lived through it.

Hurricane Charlie (1951) - The Full Wiki
www.thefullwiki.org/Hurricane_Charlie_(1951) Cached
Hurricane Charlie was the deadliest tropical cyclone of the 1951 Atlantic hurricane season. The third named storm, second hurricane, and second major hurricane of the ...

BajaBlanca - 6-9-2014 at 10:34 AM

Who could've ever guessed that a female name would be taken to mean less danger. Very interesting read.

bajabuddha - 6-9-2014 at 10:44 AM

Quien tienes los juevos? .... La Gallina tienes!! ;D

DENNIS - 6-9-2014 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Who could've ever guessed that a female name would be taken to mean less danger. Very interesting read.

Like "Katrina." It almost sounds cute.

chuckie - 6-10-2014 at 09:59 AM

Next is "D"...Lets call it Dennis! After his Denniship...

durrelllrobert - 6-10-2014 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

My ex-wife is a perfect example of "hell hath no fury..."

[Edited on 6-10-2014 by durrelllrobert]

bajabuddha - 6-10-2014 at 04:36 PM

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/east-pacific/2014/trop...

chuckie - 6-11-2014 at 07:58 AM

Yup, she grew up! Real hurricane now but projected to fizzle...we shall see...

chuckie - 6-12-2014 at 03:57 AM

Now a Cat3....second strongest earliest hurricane since 1971....off to a bad start for this year....

shari - 6-12-2014 at 06:55 AM

Living on the edge of the sea, I keep a very close eye on the weather particularly the storms. One thing that all our technology does is gives us time to prepare for the worst...we see it coming. But the down side is that we tend to trust this technology...we are lulled into believing that weather can be predicted.

We read the diagnosis and believe it...it will fizzle out...it will head out to sea...it will not get here. Well...one of the kazillion things Juan has taught me is not to trust a hurricane. They can and will surprise you. So this season...be prepared amigos!

I look forward to Hurricaine Dennis! geezo...be careful what you wish for eh!
Have a wonderful day all NOB or SOB...jejeje

Ateo - 6-12-2014 at 07:51 AM

FYI, that hurricane study is already taking a ton of heat from scientists, professionals, skeptics, and critical thinkers. Once I find a link to the online uproar I will post it. Yesterday while listening to a science podcast they went line to line thru the story, pointing out flaws and subjective data collecting, debunking the study which basically showed no difference between male/female storms. :(:(:(

They chalked it up as another "Science" story that the mainstream media runs with because it's "exciting" but has no demonstrated truth to it.

You can listen at: http://www.theskepticsguide.org episode 465. Start at minute 31. Or search in iTunes.

Bullet points:

*Take out 1953-1979 when only women's names were used. The study says they were aware of that and say that their analysis primarily focused on the femininity vs. masculinity of the names. This gives me less confidence in the data. It's subjective.

*Post 1979, the women's name effect disappears, and they say they don't have enough data points during that period. Not enough data points in that period? Then why publish this?

*If you remove on data point from the study (such as Katrina) it goes the other way towards male names and changes the results of the study! This tells me there's a very tiny signal here in a ton of "noise".

*They build a subjective scale to measure the masculinity/femininity of the names, then test it on only college students for 3 of the 4 studies. These students/people will respond differently than people living in coastal cities. Doesn't mean we should throw that out, but let's try with "Hurricane Fluffy" vs. Hurricane Get The Hell Out" instead. Those would tease out a greater signal.

[Edited on 6-14-2014 by Ateo]

BooJumMan - 6-12-2014 at 07:58 AM

Wow rapid intensification overnight! Looks like it will head out to sea at least. Amazing looking storm though. 150mph max winds!!

chuckie - 6-12-2014 at 10:19 AM

Yeah..grew FAST

chuckie - 6-12-2014 at 10:54 AM

Cat 4 now...That makes 2 cat4 hurricanes this month....NHC sez this has not happened since they have been able to record them, 1966? Christina grew so big so fast she exceeded the computer models limits.....

Ateo - 6-12-2014 at 11:30 AM

I predict San Diego will get hit this summer!

BooJumMan - 6-12-2014 at 11:40 AM

Yeah that will be a possibility if we keep seeing these warmer waters this year! I was listening to radio yesterday and apparently they are catching yellowfin tuna and dorado off San Diego right now, but I haven't been able to verify.

I know a lot of people on this board are probably born and raised in san diego/so cal, but has anyone else noticed that the summers are much more humid these days than before? I feel everytime I look east I see big thunder head clouds, where I dont remember that say, 5-6 years ago.

Ateo - 6-12-2014 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Yeah that will be a possibility if we keep seeing these warmer waters this year! I was listening to radio yesterday and apparently they are catching yellowfin tuna and dorado off San Diego right now, but I haven't been able to verify.

I know a lot of people on this board are probably born and raised in san diego/so cal, but has anyone else noticed that the summers are much more humid these days than before? I feel every time I look east I see big thunder head clouds, where I dont remember that say, 5-6 years ago.

I was reading the same thing about yellowtail off SD today. In 1998 El Nino year they caught yellowtail off Kodiak, AK, and had to send it out for ID because no one had seen then that far north!

shari - 6-12-2014 at 07:58 PM

Well big C...I wanna wish you a very very happy birthday young man! Wish I was there to share some pie with you although pie on the face isnt nearly as funny as cake. I hope you had a memorable day and may you have many many more. Maybe next year it will be Hurricane Chuck.

Just cause you arent here doesnt mean you dont get the birthday song by Juan & his band..here ya go amigo...close your eyes and imagine you are at Tomas's restaurant.

[Edited on 6-13-2014 by shari]

monoloco - 6-12-2014 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan

I know a lot of people on this board are probably born and raised in san diego/so cal, but has anyone else noticed that the summers are much more humid these days than before? I feel every time I look east I see big thunder head clouds, where I dont remember that say, 5-6 years ago.

I was reading the same thing about yellowtail off SD today. In 1998 El Nino year they caught yellowtail off Kodiak, AK, and had to send it out for ID because no one had seen then that far north!
A salmon troller told me that he has caught pomfret and seen sea turtles this year off Baranof Island.

swell

huesos - 6-13-2014 at 12:39 PM

If this thing can turn minimally at this point, it will begin to throw swell that we can make use of.

bajajudy - 6-13-2014 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by huesos
If this thing can turn minimally at this point, it will begin to throw swell that we can make use of.

The swell is here.
Last evening at high tide(and full moon) there was a lot of erosion happening in La Playita and there was water in the parking lot by the fish palapas.

Ateo - 6-13-2014 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Quote:

The swell is here.
Last evening at high tide(and full moon) there was a lot of erosion happening in La Playita and there was water in the parking lot by the fish palapas.

I'm guessing he's talking about SoCal. I bet it's sending some serious swell to Cabo and that whole area, but it's not lined up for the Socal swell window yet. Just chiming in! :tumble::tumble::tumble:

BajaRat - 6-13-2014 at 03:49 PM

Looks like Clarion is taking a direct hit this afternoon. Anything but clouds at the tip?

Bajajudy

huesos - 6-13-2014 at 04:07 PM

Keep us posted here on the progression of the swell. There is nothing like on site observation.

bajajudy - 6-13-2014 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Quote:

The swell is here.

I'm guessing he's talking about SoCal. I bet it's sending some serious swell to Cabo and that whole area, but it's not lined up for the Socal swell window yet. Just chiming in! :tumble::tumble::tumble:

Silly me...I'm thinking Baja:P

bajajudy - 6-13-2014 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Looks like Clarion is taking a direct hit this afternoon. Anything but clouds at the tip?

Partly cloudy, very little wind.

micah202 - 6-14-2014 at 05:58 AM

Hurricane Cristina just set a scary record

By Chris Mooney
Cross-posted from Climate Desk
Hurrican Cristina Jun_12_2014
Nasa | Wikimedia Commons
Two weeks ago in the eastern Pacific hurricane basin, we saw Category 4 Hurricane Amanda, which was too strong, too early. Amanda was the “strongest May hurricane on record in the eastern Pacific basin during the satellite era,” noted the National Hurricane Center.

And right now, the basin is host to Category 4 Hurricane Cristina, which follows on Amanda’s record with a new one. The storm just put on an “extraordinary” burst of intensification in the last 24 hours, rocketing from Category 1 to Category 4 strength, with maximum sustained wind speeds of 150 miles per hour. And now that it has gotten there, notes the National Hurricane Center, we have another new record:

....more at........ http://grist.org/climate-energy/hurricane-cristina-just-set-...

shari - 6-14-2014 at 07:05 AM

from the satellite it looks like the cape area might get some weather today...lets hear how it's going from all you southern belles por favor!

Here on the mid coast we are bracing for sunny,calm wind and gorgeous air temps of low 80's for the next few days...wooo hooo...got the pool filled!

bajajudy - 6-14-2014 at 07:13 AM

Overcast, humid, no wind
Steamy

Russ - 6-14-2014 at 08:09 AM

We were getting some large (2 to 3') surf here for the last few days. It would be a hard launch in these conditions and pulling a boat would be a nightmare. Last night was the biggest surf and in the last 2 hours it has dropped by half. Hoping tomorrow brings calm seas and we get some people out to scout for dorado before the tournament Saturday.

micah202 - 6-14-2014 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
We were getting some large (2 to 3') surf here for the last few days. It would be a hard launch in these conditions and pulling a boat would be a nightmare. Last night was the biggest surf and in the last 2 hours it has dropped by half. Hoping tomorrow brings calm seas and we get some people out to scout for dorado before the tournament Saturday.

...not to mention the local food fishery

tiotomasbcs - 6-14-2014 at 11:34 AM

Pescadero has awakened to cloudy silver/gray skies with no breeze. Little humid as the Hurricane has dashed our westerly a/c coolerator! Swell rising with 3-5ft heights and spacing closer together. Surfer pipeline says the south/cape region is rockin! Christina is staring us down but we haven't had any rain, yet. Rain brings bobos so I'm hoping it's a little not alot. Will it turn inland or just keeping moving west?? Kinda exciting; keepin some beer iced down and gas in the genie. Smiles. Tio heads up farther north.

BajaRat - 6-14-2014 at 12:12 PM

Safe travels to you and Rio, Tio :cool:

BajaRat - 6-14-2014 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ

Was that at home Russ or are you on the road ?

[Edited on 6-14-2014 by BajaRat]