BajaNomad

New Tacoma

Bajaboy - 6-12-2014 at 07:11 AM

Last night, I participated with a market research study here in San Diego. We were all Tacoma owners and the session lasted about 2.5 hours. We had some good discussions regarding our likes/dislikes of our trucks. We all agreed that fuel economy was the biggest down fall of our trucks.

We got to look at some photos of some new model trucks possibly coming out from Toyota, Chevy, GMC, and Nissan. On top of that, we were told about the specs for the new Tacoma. On don't remember all of the specs except that the combined gas mileage is 28 mpg!

The new Tacoma is a good looking truck. I might consider trading in my 2014 if the truck comes in as promised. I am not positive on the rollout...one or two years I think.

Zac

Ateo - 6-12-2014 at 07:15 AM

Wow. I would be amazed if it gets 28MPG.

Regarding the new Tundra model........not to happy with the redesign. They tweaked a few things but I was hoping for an upgrade on the body style.

The new Silverado is looking pretty tight.

Bajaboy - 6-12-2014 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Regarding the new Tundra model........not to happy with the redesign. They tweaked a few things but I was hoping for an upgrade on the body style.

We were all really excited with the mpg. We confirmed it was combined mpg, too. I think the GMC was coming in at 31 mpg.

BooJumMan - 6-12-2014 at 08:04 AM

Bajaboy, do you remember what size the motor was for the NEW Tacoma? That 4.0 they've been using since 2005 never impressed me. However it appears that they have been somewhat reliable. I couldn't believe they have been using that motor so exclusively in the FJ's, 4Runners, Tacomas during this time of when most people are looking for gas efficient cars.

They really were behind the curve on this, which surprises me. I'm a Toyota nut, and even that 4.0l made me cringe.

Bajaboy - 6-12-2014 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Bajaboy, do you remember what size the motor was for the NEW Tacoma? That 4.0 they've been using since 2005 never impressed me. However it appears that they have been somewhat reliable. I couldn't believe they have been using that motor so exclusively in the FJ's, 4Runners, Tacomas during this time of when most people are looking for gas efficient cars.

They really were behind the curve on this, which surprises me. I'm a Toyota nut, and even that 4.0l made me cringe.

I don't recall the specifics but it was smaller. We all agreed the trade off was worth the fuel efficiency. I might be wrong but I thought he said more torque. Most of us were keying in on the mpg.

David K - 6-12-2014 at 08:18 AM

Thanks Zac... There should be some mention of this on Tacoma World. If there are specs or images, I can add them here. The roll out of the 3rd Generation Tundra has been long awaited. The sales of the Second Gen Tacoma continue to be robust, so the urgency for a make-over has not been there. It obviously keeps our trucks value high when there is no change. The Second Gen Tacoma came out in 2005.

Did this look like what you saw Zac?:

http://www.tctmagazine.net/images/blog/TRD-Pro/TRD-Pro-Tacom...

[Edited on 6-12-2014 by David K]

Bajaboy - 6-12-2014 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks Zac... There should be some mention of this on Tacoma World. If there are specs or images, I can add them here. The roll out of the 3rd Generation Tundra has been long awaited. The sales of the Second Gen Tacoma continue to be robust, so the urgency for a make-over has not been there. It obviously keeps our trucks value high when there is no change. The Second Gen Tacoma came out in 2005.

Did this look like what you saw Zac?:

http://www.tctmagazine.net/images/blog/TRD-Pro/TRD-Pro-Tacom...

[Edited on 6-12-2014 by David K]

David,

I can't tell from that pic. The scoop looks similar but I don't think it's the same truck.

David K - 6-12-2014 at 08:29 AM

It will be great to have our trucks get better mileage... I think they are diluting more ethanol into our gasoline, which reduces mileage and engine performance. I used to get 16 mpg combined (city/hwy) mileage in my daily driving and it is now 14.5. Tire pressure checked, engine tuned up, air filter clean. The best highway mileage is 18... unless I go to Baja and use pure gasoline (Pemex), then I am close to 20 mpg!

BooJumMan - 6-12-2014 at 08:36 AM

On the cosmetic sides of things, I feel that they will follow the 4Runner design...Which I dig. The new 4Runner front ends look mean!

rts551 - 6-12-2014 at 08:47 AM

Toyota is behind the power curve when it comes to mileage. and its not the ethanol.

I get hwy 20-21 and combined city/hwy 18 on my 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 385 hp 5.7l v-8.

The only time I drop to 15 is pulling my trailer or driving on the back roads.

TMW - 6-12-2014 at 08:49 AM

Having had a 3L and now a 3.4L (better) and with my 07 work truck a 4L (best) I think the 4L is a good engine. It had power and OK gas milage especially compared to my V8 trucks. I pulled a 4,500lb snowcat trailer up a 7,000ft mountain several times without problems.

Now for gas milage. Stay with a 2 wheel drive truck. Get a stick shift. Get a 4 cylinder. Put small tires on it. If you had the same tires on your Tacoma as they put on a camry you'd get about the same gas milage. Drive as if you had an egg under your foot. Slow down. Getting good gas milage is no secret.

I like a 4x4 and I like larger tires and I like going places few men or women go.

2015s

John M - 6-12-2014 at 08:58 AM

Three lines will be featuring a revised version of what has been the "Baja" edition, including Tacoma and Tundra and I think Forerunner - it's going to be marketed as the "Pro" - upgraded suspension among many other off road benefits. So far as I've heard, however, it will only be available in one exterior color, a sort of dark orange. Combined production will be under 8,000 units, priced around 3 grand over a standard version of the same model.

Going to look at a 2014 "Baja" edition this week, maybe Saturday. Hmmm

John M

whistler - 6-12-2014 at 01:19 PM

I probably only get 16mpg. with my Dodge.Over 400 h.p. and 600lbs.+ of torque.I take horsepower over mpg any day of the week.That is why they make after market fuel tanks.

Bajaboy - 6-12-2014 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
Three lines will be featuring a revised version of what has been the "Baja" edition, including Tacoma and Tundra and I think Forerunner - it's going to be marketed as the "Pro" - upgraded suspension among many other off road benefits. So far as I've heard, however, it will only be available in one exterior color, a sort of dark orange. Combined production will be under 8,000 units, priced around 3 grand over a standard version of the same model.

Going to look at a 2014 "Baja" edition this week, maybe Saturday. Hmmm

John M

They also asked us our opinion on two colors...one a royal blue and the other was a tan color...both were similar to current color options.

dasubergeek - 6-12-2014 at 04:22 PM

Quote:

I had the 2014 Silverado. I got a combined 16-17 mpg, worse than the rating. On the open road alone, more like 22-23. You don't buy a truck for the gas mileage but I could get 16 mpg out of a diesel 3/4-ton and get better towing capacity.

It's had three recalls in eight months, including one where I had to have it towed in.

I sold it because I got sick of putting $500+ in gas in it a month and driving a loaner car while they do the recall warranty work.

jimgrms - 6-14-2014 at 07:19 AM

Never has a motor vehicle of any make got the mileage the add claim ,Never

Ateo - 6-14-2014 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
Quote:

I had the 2014 Silverado. I got a combined 16-17 mpg, worse than the rating. On the open road alone, more like 22-23. You don't buy a truck for the gas mileage but I could get 16 mpg out of a diesel 3/4-ton and get better towing capacity.

It's had three recalls in eight months, including one where I had to have it towed in.

I sold it because I got sick of putting $500+ in gas in it a month and driving a loaner car while they do the recall warranty work.

Jeeze. 3 recalls in 8 months. I guess I'll stay with my Tundra.

chuckie - 6-14-2014 at 09:12 AM

I just looked at new Pickups, Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota and Dodge. I decided to keep my 1996 Dodge diesel. It has 339,000 miles on it and on a trip last week to the NRA Whittington center, with a nine foot Lance camper on it got 16.7 MPG. I drove the pickups I considered and the Toyota would have been my 3rd choice. I note a comment here about the recalls on the Chevrolet..Doesn't Toyota have many more? At any rate, no way could I justify the price of any of them to buy lower economy and performance.

David K - 6-14-2014 at 10:13 AM

The only recall I got for my 2010 Tacoma was to have them cut shorter my gas pedal... in response to the 2009 (?) incident in Santee where a Lexus dealership's loaner car had two floor mats together on the driver's side, and the gas pedal on it stuck, causing a crash at the end of Hwy. 125 and the deaths of the occupants. That led to a nationwide panic that somehow Toyota had unintended acceleration issues with many people faking this to get out of speeding tickets or get paid something. My 2010 has been pretty near perfect, as was my 2001 Tacoma... My gas pedal is the original, I only have one floor mat on the driver's side, and my truck only accelerates when I want it to.

TMW - 6-14-2014 at 10:28 AM

I think the reason you almost never get the gas mileage the manufacture list on the side window is that people don't drive the same as they test the vehicle. The vehicles are tested on a dyno with various degrees of input to simulate what happens on the road. In my opinion they will never be the same. For more reading go here.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

David K - 6-14-2014 at 10:32 AM

Actually, I think my sticker said 19 hwy. and 16 city, and that is what I got until about a year or two ago when my city mileage dropped to 14+. The 19+ hwy. mileage only happens if I drive slow or use Pemex gas!

Bubba - 6-14-2014 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
The only recall I got for my 2010 Tacoma was to have them cut shorter my gas pedal... in response to the 2009 (?) incident in Santee where a Lexus dealership's loaner car had two floor mats together on the driver's side, and the gas pedal on it stuck, causing a crash at the end of Hwy. 125 and the deaths of the occupants. That led to a nationwide panic that somehow Toyota had unintended acceleration issues with many people faking this to get out of speeding tickets or get paid something. My 2010 has been pretty near perfect, as was my 2001 Tacoma... My gas pedal is the original, I only have one floor mat on the driver's side, and my truck only accelerates when I want it to.

I have the 2010 also and had the gas pedal recall and just took it in for a seat belt recall. Definitely not happy with the gas mileage either.

David K - 6-14-2014 at 11:35 AM

What was the seat belt recall? Have you noticed the mileage dropping in the past year or two for the same driving?

Bubba - 6-14-2014 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
What was the seat belt recall? Have you noticed the mileage dropping in the past year or two for the same driving?

The seat belt recall was for loose brackets inside the rear door. I have the access cab though, I think yours is the extra? I thought it was my imagination on the mileage until last month when I checked it again. I'm very dissapointed.

willardguy - 6-14-2014 at 04:38 PM

VW turbo diesel Amarok! wouldn't that be nice?

David K - 6-14-2014 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
Quote:

The seat belt recall was for loose brackets inside the rear door. I have the access cab though, I think yours is the extra? I thought it was my imagination on the mileage until last month when I checked it again. I'm very dissapointed.

My 2001 was the 2 door Xtra Cab. My 2005 and 2010 were both Double Cab (4 full size doors).

chuckie - 6-14-2014 at 05:45 PM

My wife has a Toyota Matrix aka Pontiac Vibe....lotsa recalls but remains a pretty good rig...There are lots of us who don't buy trucks based on the color of the paint or the design of the hood...But we don't live in Kalifornia ...My Dodge 1990 Diesel has over 800,000 miles on it...my brother in laws Toyota PU has over a million miles...drive what makes sense and smile.
s

Bubba - 6-15-2014 at 09:45 AM

I just checked my mileage again, a little under 17 and that's 75% freeway driving. Not good.

dasubergeek - 6-16-2014 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
Never has a motor vehicle of any make got the mileage the add claim ,Never

My VW Passat TDI is listed as 30 city/40 hwy. I get 36 city and, depending on how open the freeway is, anywhere from 43-51 highway. It's insane... and it ain't even broke in yet.

chuckie - 6-16-2014 at 03:58 PM

DEEEZELS are the bomb.....

AndyP - 6-16-2014 at 03:59 PM

My '92 Toyota pickup, 4cylinder 2wd, just averaged 29mpg from Oregon to Baja and back, heavily loaded. Reading this makes me much less envious of all the newer 4wd rigs that kept passing me.

TMW - 6-17-2014 at 08:14 AM

DK did your milage drop when you put the bigger tires on it?

David K - 6-17-2014 at 08:34 AM

The gas mileage number dropped about 1/2 mpg off the bat, but now the speedometer is accurate. It read fast with the stock tires. The mileage has dropped more long after the 265/75-16 tires replaced the stock 265/70-16 BFGs. I just think the California gas is being diluted with more nonesense because as soon as I put Pemex in the tank, my mileage goes back up... even with a heavy load for camping.

The 4 door V-6 4WD Automatic Tacoma was rated for 16/19 mpg (city/hwy) when I got it... and I did get those numbers (not always on the hwy because I drive more than 65 mph so I do't get rear ended).

The speedometer would indicate I was driving 67 or 68 mph when the GPS said I was going 65. With the 1" taller tires 65 is 65, and I gain 1/2" of ground clearance.

The 2015 Pro Tacomas are coming with the taller tires.

mtgoat666 - 6-17-2014 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
I just think the California gas is being diluted with more nonesense because as soon as I put Pemex in the tank, my mileage goes back up... even with a heavy load for camping.

comparing your local driving in san diego to your long-distance driving in baja is comparing apples to oranges. in baja you are probably doing relatively longer distances with less stopping/starting. also, in baja your highway cruising speed is lower than that on the high speed california freeways.

msteve1014 - 6-17-2014 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
I just think the California gas is being diluted with more nonesense because as soon as I put Pemex in the tank, my mileage goes back up... even with a heavy load for camping.

comparing your local driving in san diego to your long-distance driving in baja is comparing apples to oranges. in baja you are probably doing relatively longer distances with less stopping/starting. also, in baja your highway cruising speed is lower than that on the high speed california freeways.

And his idea of a heavy load is a full ice chest, and a pup tent.:rolleyes:

You can't blame everything on California.

TMW - 6-17-2014 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Quote:
Quote:

Obviously the goat has never tried to follow DK on the hwy in Baja and you have never been camping with him. I have.

David K - 6-22-2014 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear or maybe you and the goat just missed it, but I have highway mileage readings as well as my typical daily driving work mileage figures. On the highway in the USA... including a trip to Tucson and back last year with no load in the truck, my USA gasoline mileage is still inferior to my Pemex gasoline highway mileages (and those are with heavy load in the truck).
MPG 2010 4 Door 4WD V-6 AUTOMATIC TACOMA
USA HWY LIGHT: 16-18 vs. MEX HWY HEAVY: 18-20
USA DAILY WORK: 14-16 (mix of HWY and CITY)

Gasoline is fuel and Corn is food... Ethanol free gasoline is better for everyone. Viva Pemex!

chuckie - 6-22-2014 at 08:30 AM

I have had three Dodge Cummins Diesels, and luv em. My 1990 2WD Dually got 23-26 MPG all the time. It now has over 800,000 miles on it, the head has never been off. My 1995 4WD had 306,000 on it when I sold it, foolishly. My current 1996 has 336,000 miles on it and with my 9.5 Lance camper always gets over 15MPG, even towing my tin boat.....I had a Ford Diesel for a very short time. My Daughter has a Chevy Duramax, really nice, but too spendy for me. She had to replace the Allison transmission, over 10K, some thing to think about....It would be nice if Toyota or Nissan imported their diesels....

David K - 6-22-2014 at 09:13 AM

Diesel Toyota Hilux trucks are all over Central America. Toyota fans in the USA sure would like to have the Hilux here over the Tacoma... solid front axle, and more 'real-truck' stuff.

BajaRat - 6-22-2014 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
The gas mileage number dropped about 1/2 mpg off the bat, but now the speedometer is accurate. It read fast with the stock tires. The mileage has dropped more long after the 265/75-16 tires replaced the stock 265/70-16 BFGs. I just think the California gas is being diluted with more nonesense because as soon as I put Pemex in the tank, my mileage goes back up... even with a heavy load for camping.

The 4 door V-6 4WD Automatic Tacoma was rated for 16/19 mpg (city/hwy) when I got it... and I did get those numbers (not always on the hwy because I drive more than 65 mph so I do't get rear ended).

The speedometer would indicate I was driving 67 or 68 mph when the GPS said I was going 65. With the 1" taller tires 65 is 65, and I gain 1/2" of ground clearance.

The 2015 Pro Tacomas are coming with the taller tires.

David, Thanks for the salutations on Tristans B Day.
What Pemex fuel grade do you use ? I feel the higher grade expense is more than off set by performance and mileage gains.

chuckie - 6-22-2014 at 09:18 AM

They may be available in Mexico, I do believe I saw one in La Paz..And I saw an add for a Toyota Diesel in Loreto..Never thunked of that...