Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: New Tacoma
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 07:11 AM
New Tacoma

Last night, I participated with a market research study here in San Diego. We were all Tacoma owners and the session lasted about 2.5 hours. We had some good discussions regarding our likes/dislikes of our trucks. We all agreed that fuel economy was the biggest down fall of our trucks.

We got to look at some photos of some new model trucks possibly coming out from Toyota, Chevy, GMC, and Nissan. On top of that, we were told about the specs for the new Tacoma. On don't remember all of the specs except that the combined gas mileage is 28 mpg!

The new Tacoma is a good looking truck. I might consider trading in my 2014 if the truck comes in as promised. I am not positive on the rollout...one or two years I think.

Zac

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 07:15 AM

Wow. I would be amazed if it gets 28MPG.

Regarding the new Tundra model........not to happy with the redesign. They tweaked a few things but I was hoping for an upgrade on the body style.

The new Silverado is looking pretty tight.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Regarding the new Tundra model........not to happy with the redesign. They tweaked a few things but I was hoping for an upgrade on the body style.

We were all really excited with the mpg. We confirmed it was combined mpg, too. I think the GMC was coming in at 31 mpg.

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 08:04 AM

Bajaboy, do you remember what size the motor was for the NEW Tacoma? That 4.0 they've been using since 2005 never impressed me. However it appears that they have been somewhat reliable. I couldn't believe they have been using that motor so exclusively in the FJ's, 4Runners, Tacomas during this time of when most people are looking for gas efficient cars.

They really were behind the curve on this, which surprises me. I'm a Toyota nut, and even that 4.0l made me cringe.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Bajaboy, do you remember what size the motor was for the NEW Tacoma? That 4.0 they've been using since 2005 never impressed me. However it appears that they have been somewhat reliable. I couldn't believe they have been using that motor so exclusively in the FJ's, 4Runners, Tacomas during this time of when most people are looking for gas efficient cars.

They really were behind the curve on this, which surprises me. I'm a Toyota nut, and even that 4.0l made me cringe.

I don't recall the specifics but it was smaller. We all agreed the trade off was worth the fuel efficiency. I might be wrong but I thought he said more torque. Most of us were keying in on the mpg.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 08:18 AM

Thanks Zac... There should be some mention of this on Tacoma World. If there are specs or images, I can add them here. The roll out of the 3rd Generation Tundra has been long awaited. The sales of the Second Gen Tacoma continue to be robust, so the urgency for a make-over has not been there. It obviously keeps our trucks value high when there is no change. The Second Gen Tacoma came out in 2005.

Did this look like what you saw Zac?:

http://www.tctmagazine.net/images/blog/TRD-Pro/TRD-Pro-Tacom...

[Edited on 6-12-2014 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks Zac... There should be some mention of this on Tacoma World. If there are specs or images, I can add them here. The roll out of the 3rd Generation Tundra has been long awaited. The sales of the Second Gen Tacoma continue to be robust, so the urgency for a make-over has not been there. It obviously keeps our trucks value high when there is no change. The Second Gen Tacoma came out in 2005.

Did this look like what you saw Zac?:

http://www.tctmagazine.net/images/blog/TRD-Pro/TRD-Pro-Tacom...

[Edited on 6-12-2014 by David K]

David,

I can't tell from that pic. The scoop looks similar but I don't think it's the same truck.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 08:29 AM

It will be great to have our trucks get better mileage... I think they are diluting more ethanol into our gasoline, which reduces mileage and engine performance. I used to get 16 mpg combined (city/hwy) mileage in my daily driving and it is now 14.5. Tire pressure checked, engine tuned up, air filter clean. The best highway mileage is 18... unless I go to Baja and use pure gasoline (Pemex), then I am close to 20 mpg!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 08:36 AM

On the cosmetic sides of things, I feel that they will follow the 4Runner design...Which I dig. The new 4Runner front ends look mean!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 08:47 AM

Toyota is behind the power curve when it comes to mileage. and its not the ethanol.

I get hwy 20-21 and combined city/hwy 18 on my 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 385 hp 5.7l v-8.

The only time I drop to 15 is pulling my trailer or driving on the back roads.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 08:49 AM

Having had a 3L and now a 3.4L (better) and with my 07 work truck a 4L (best) I think the 4L is a good engine. It had power and OK gas milage especially compared to my V8 trucks. I pulled a 4,500lb snowcat trailer up a 7,000ft mountain several times without problems.

Now for gas milage. Stay with a 2 wheel drive truck. Get a stick shift. Get a 4 cylinder. Put small tires on it. If you had the same tires on your Tacoma as they put on a camry you'd get about the same gas milage. Drive as if you had an egg under your foot. Slow down. Getting good gas milage is no secret.

I like a 4x4 and I like larger tires and I like going places few men or women go.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 08:58 AM
2015s

Three lines will be featuring a revised version of what has been the "Baja" edition, including Tacoma and Tundra and I think Forerunner - it's going to be marketed as the "Pro" - upgraded suspension among many other off road benefits. So far as I've heard, however, it will only be available in one exterior color, a sort of dark orange. Combined production will be under 8,000 units, priced around 3 grand over a standard version of the same model.

Going to look at a 2014 "Baja" edition this week, maybe Saturday. Hmmm

John M
whistler
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 01:19 PM

I probably only get 16mpg. with my Dodge.Over 400 h.p. and 600lbs.+ of torque.I take horsepower over mpg any day of the week.That is why they make after market fuel tanks.

10%
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
Three lines will be featuring a revised version of what has been the "Baja" edition, including Tacoma and Tundra and I think Forerunner - it's going to be marketed as the "Pro" - upgraded suspension among many other off road benefits. So far as I've heard, however, it will only be available in one exterior color, a sort of dark orange. Combined production will be under 8,000 units, priced around 3 grand over a standard version of the same model.

Going to look at a 2014 "Baja" edition this week, maybe Saturday. Hmmm

John M

They also asked us our opinion on two colors...one a royal blue and the other was a tan color...both were similar to current color options.

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 04:22 PM

Quote:

I had the 2014 Silverado. I got a combined 16-17 mpg, worse than the rating. On the open road alone, more like 22-23. You don't buy a truck for the gas mileage but I could get 16 mpg out of a diesel 3/4-ton and get better towing capacity.

It's had three recalls in eight months, including one where I had to have it towed in.

I sold it because I got sick of putting $500+ in gas in it a month and driving a loaner car while they do the recall warranty work.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 07:19 AM

Never has a motor vehicle of any make got the mileage the add claim ,Never
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
Quote:

I had the 2014 Silverado. I got a combined 16-17 mpg, worse than the rating. On the open road alone, more like 22-23. You don't buy a truck for the gas mileage but I could get 16 mpg out of a diesel 3/4-ton and get better towing capacity.

It's had three recalls in eight months, including one where I had to have it towed in.

I sold it because I got sick of putting $500+ in gas in it a month and driving a loaner car while they do the recall warranty work.

Jeeze. 3 recalls in 8 months. I guess I'll stay with my Tundra.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 09:12 AM

I just looked at new Pickups, Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota and Dodge. I decided to keep my 1996 Dodge diesel. It has 339,000 miles on it and on a trip last week to the NRA Whittington center, with a nine foot Lance camper on it got 16.7 MPG. I drove the pickups I considered and the Toyota would have been my 3rd choice. I note a comment here about the recalls on the Chevrolet..Doesn't Toyota have many more? At any rate, no way could I justify the price of any of them to buy lower economy and performance.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 10:13 AM

The only recall I got for my 2010 Tacoma was to have them cut shorter my gas pedal... in response to the 2009 (?) incident in Santee where a Lexus dealership's loaner car had two floor mats together on the driver's side, and the gas pedal on it stuck, causing a crash at the end of Hwy. 125 and the deaths of the occupants. That led to a nationwide panic that somehow Toyota had unintended acceleration issues with many people faking this to get out of speeding tickets or get paid something. My 2010 has been pretty near perfect, as was my 2001 Tacoma... My gas pedal is the original, I only have one floor mat on the driver's side, and my truck only accelerates when I want it to.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 10:28 AM

I think the reason you almost never get the gas mileage the manufacture list on the side window is that people don't drive the same as they test the vehicle. The vehicles are tested on a dyno with various degrees of input to simulate what happens on the road. In my opinion they will never be the same. For more reading go here.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.