BajaNomad

Releasing Billfish

Pescador - 6-26-2014 at 08:14 PM

Someone sent me this:

Sportfishing Magazine: Feb 2006

EASY DOES IT
A guide to properly releasing some of our most popular gamefish
By Capt. John McMurray

Every year, in more locations around the world, more anglers enjoy the pleasures of catch-and-release fishing. In addition to voluntarily freeing trophies, anglers release fish of all sizes. Some are let go because of size-limit regulations, but many survive because of angler ethics and peer pressure.
However, not all released fish do survive. To make sure catch-and-release fishing remains a viable conservation strategy, fish handling is crucial. Fishermen often debate the various methods and practices of proper release, so we asked a number of experts to explain the best current techniques for several popular species.

BILLFISH
Although anglers like to pose with their defeated quarry, removing even a small billfish from the water can damage the animal. Dr. Eric Prince of NOAA’s Southeast Fisheries Science Center notes that bringing a billfish aboard stresses it, particularly if the fish starts thrashing. Scraping the fish’s body along the gunwale can also strip away its protective coating of slime and subject it to the crippling effects of gravity. Large fish are particularly likely to sustain internal organ and skeletal damage when their weight is no longer supported by water.
To perform an in-water release, one deckhand should guide the fish to the side of the boat while the captain keeps the vessel moving ahead slowly. A second deckhand then removes the hook.
Traditionally, a mate would dehook the fish by reaching down and grabbing its bill then working the hook free. However, “billing” is losing popularity. Today’s alternative involves using a “snooter,” a plastic PVC pipe with a rope running inside, connected to a stainless-steel cable loop. The mate places the loop over the bill, then the cable is pulled tight by hand or by tying the rope off to a cleat. Once the fish is under control, the hook can be easily removed.
Some anglers cut the leader rather than attempt hook removal. However, scientists who have reviewed hundreds of tagged and recaptured billfish noted that about 25 percent of the time, hooks left in fish remained for more than a year, many causing infections. Thus, removing hooks – with a dehooking device -- is advisable if it wouldn’t further endanger the animal.
If you deeply hook a fish, cutting the leader as close to the hook as possible might be the best option. But deep-hooking can be avoided by using circle hooks, which are widely endorsed by fisheries scientists. Research has clearly demonstrated that circles minimize not only gut-hooked fish, but foul-hooked fish as well.
Billfish often need to be resuscitated before release. Reviving a billfish can be as simple as keeping the fish secured with a snooter while towing it slowly. When the fish shows signs of regaining strength, the mate slackens the rope, loosening the wire and freeing the fish.
Mates also use heavy tackle outfitted with a nylon-cord leader. They tie the cord with a slipknot to the upper portion of the fish’s bill, then tow the animal slowly 40 to 50 yards behind the boat. As the fish regains strength, it alters its position in the water column, decreasing the angle of the line. Once the angle drops to about 45 degrees, the crew can lead the fish back to the boat and release the slipknot. This approach tends to take the guesswork out of determining a fish’s recovery status.
Attempting to release a “green” fish carries its own risks, to the crew and the fish. Frantic boatside thrashing can cause fatal injuries if the fish slams itself against the hull.

dtbushpilot - 6-26-2014 at 09:05 PM

I think its wrong to put the fish in danger in the first place. I think this "sport" of fishing should be reconsidered. What gives us the right to endanger the life of God's beautiful creatures? One can go on and on about theories associated with releasing bill fish or any other fish for that matter but the reality is that any time you sink a hook into a fish and drag it through the water while it desperately fights for it's life you are severely endangering it's health and life.

The solution is clear, sport fishing should be outlawed. This so called sport is practiced by a bunch of fat old wannabe's and ustabee's getting some sort of sick satisfaction out of dominating a defenseless fish. There are plenty of fish available at the market for our table needs, that old line about "putting food on the table" doesn't pass the smell test.

Let's do the right thing, let's set an example for others to follow, let's put an end to this barbaric practice of sport fishing. It's the right thing to do, we all know it. Ok, who's with me?

Osprey - 6-26-2014 at 09:23 PM

Dave, you are right again. Whew. I'll be by tomorrow to gather up your now useless fishing gear. You know you can trust me to put it out of action for good. Let all your buddies know I can save them time and gas money for trips to the dump/incinerator. All I need is a little time and an address and a time certain to do the pickup so I won't be chasing my tail.

No need to thank me. We're doing it not just for the fishery, but the planet. Dave, do you happen to know where Jenn Wren keeps their gear?

Frank - 6-26-2014 at 10:28 PM

I did my part at Punta Arena today. I didn't hook any fish.

redhilltown - 6-26-2014 at 11:35 PM

I'm with DT but I certainly know where Frank is coming from.

monoloco - 6-27-2014 at 01:02 AM

If you are going to drag a billfish onto the boat, you might as well just keep it and eat it because there's a good chance it will die anyway.

dorado50 - 6-27-2014 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I think its wrong to put the fish in danger in the first place. I think this "sport" of fishing should be reconsidered. What gives us the right to endanger the life of God's beautiful creatures? One can go on and on about theories associated with releasing bill fish or any other fish for that matter but the reality is that any time you sink a hook into a fish and drag it through the water while it desperately fights for it's life you are severely endangering it's health and life.

The solution is clear, sport fishing should be outlawed. This so called sport is practiced by a bunch of fat old wannabe's and ustabee's getting some sort of sick satisfaction out of dominating a defenseless fish. There are plenty of fish available at the market for our table needs, that old line about "putting food on the table" doesn't pass the smell test.

Let's do the right thing, let's set an example for others to follow, let's put an end to this barbaric practice of sport fishing. It's the right thing to do, we all know it. Ok, who's with me?

UNBELIEVEABLE .......:lol::lol:

bajabuddha - 6-27-2014 at 02:28 PM

Very nice thought DT, but i'm afraid World Hunger, Climate Change, current Global Strife, and making Sunni/chiite Peace takes priority at the moment, and also has a better chance at achievement.....

Bubba - 6-28-2014 at 10:51 AM

I stopped chasing billfish 15 years ago. I was on a trip to the East Cape and hooked a nice Blue. After fighting this fish for well over an hour we got it boat side and did a clean release. The only problem with this was the fish was exhausted from the fight and as he slowly sunk out we watched a shark get him. That was it for me, no more.

El Jefe - 6-28-2014 at 11:07 AM

Quote:

I'm with you. Not going to eat it? Don't catch it.

[Edited on 6-28-2014 by El Jefe]

SFandH - 6-28-2014 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
I stopped chasing billfish 15 years ago. I was on a trip to the East Cape and hooked a nice Blue. After fighting this fish for well over an hour we got it boat side and did a clean release. The only problem with this was the fish was exhausted from the fight and as he slowly sunk out we watched a shark get him. That was it for me, no more.

Sad story, you made the right decision.

Osprey - 6-28-2014 at 11:42 AM

Warm waters inshore here now have drawn a lot of fish and with it, lots of sharks. Yesterday a charter client fought a nice stripped marlin to the boat, released it but it was worn out by the fight and they watched as several big sharks reduced it to chum in short order right next to the panga.

Pescador - 6-28-2014 at 03:43 PM

For those who have not had the experience, what normally happens is that a fisherman hooks a marlin and then the fish spends most of it's time on the surface jumping, running, greyhounding, sometimes going deep, but normally wearing themselves out in pretty short order. Now, if someone wants a picture on the back deck of the boat, here is what happens:

The mate grabs the bill of the fish with gloves, removes the hook, and then pulls straight up and drags the fish over the side of the boat. That is very much like being pulled over the torture rack because the fish's body is not built in such a way that it can bend very much and all of the weight of the fish is resting on 2 or 3 square inches while it is pulled to the point where it is finally in the back of the boat. Not only does this pull off all of the slime, which is their protective coating coating against infections, but you will find bruising and internal damage oftentimes because of the pressure on the body of the fish. By this time the fish is usually very tired and you notice in all of the photos that the fish has lost most of its bright colors meaning it is in a state of shock. (Imagine trying to do that with a big dorado which will knock the crap out of everything in the boat and anything else that gets in its way) Now those of you who have taken pictures know how long it takes to set up the shot and get everyone in postion. After the photo,the process is repeated and the fish is pushed over the side with more bruises and slime removal. Now it is in the water. Good fishermen hold the fish in the water while the boat is moved slowly forward until enough water has come over the gills to partially revive the fish. When a good tail beat is felt, then the fish is let go.

I only had to do this a couple of times in my fishing experience before I realized that I was being less than truthful. I felt great about releasing the fish, but deep down, I knew I had hurt the fish and caused some damage. So I bought a Go Pro mount for the camera and made it a simple rule that the fish must be released while still in the water. Also, I insist that we use a minimum of 40 lb line for stripeys, and up to 80 for big Blues. Most fish are at the boat and released in around 10 minutes or less and they all show good color and bright response. After a lot of experience I seem to know when they are ready to have the hook removed without thrashing into the side of the boat and causing damage to me or themselves.

It is interesting to note that when the scientists are getting fish for study and satellite planting, they use a sling with a bed that floats in the water, where they pull the fish into the net sling and then lift the whole thing carefully with full body support the whole time. Some of the catch and release tournaments in Florida do that with large tarpon. They slide the fish into the net sling, weigh the fish, and then release them.

So maybe some of the charter boats will adopt this method of safely lifting the fish from the water, taking a picture, and then sucessfully releasing the fish to fight another day.

Osprey, it is interesting that you mention the sharks. I have suspended billfishing this year due to the abnormally high number of sharks that I see every day out there. I thought it was just our area. We also had a swimmer at Punta Chivato get bumped by a shark.

msteve1014 - 6-28-2014 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
Quote:

I'm with you. Not going to eat it? Don't catch it.

[Edited on 6-28-2014 by El Jefe]

I guess you could not see his "tongue in cheek" over the internet.

DT, can I have the Blackman if I promise to only use it for whale watching trips?

DENNIS - 6-28-2014 at 04:27 PM

Why not just tie the leader around the rear bumper of a car? :mad:

BajaRat - 6-28-2014 at 04:35 PM

I catch food not trophies :cool:

churro - 6-28-2014 at 07:33 PM

I dont like to target bill fish unless i am going to eat them... They are amazing fish.. I have been in situations when i cant keep them off the bait

Skipjack Joe - 6-28-2014 at 08:47 PM

That's an interesting post, Jim, the 2nd one.

The problem is that very few people have the experience you have fishing. And if it took you all those years to gain this knowledge then how long will it take for the average angler.

I think the problem you describe is with the really large fish. I've had similar experiences with tuna on the east cape. Remember those pictures we all grew up with of Lee Wulff holding Atlantic salmon upside down by their tail. Major damage. I've held tuna that way with the intention of releasing them. You can actually feel their backbone cracking from the weight.

But with fish like calico bass, snapper, grouper (small) there is a very high rate of survival.

Actually, there are several reasons why c&r fails. You talked about protruding air bladders a few years ago. Those rapala like lures are really hard on some fish. And flyfishing shouldn't be done on anything over 8lbs.

C&R is really a sign of an advanced angler in my opinion. An angler who just looks at fish as food is usually a beginner or seldom fishes.

monoloco - 6-28-2014 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

C&R is really a sign of an advanced angler in my opinion. An angler who just looks at fish as food is usually a beginner or seldom fishes.
I have to disagree, I fish because I like to eat very fresh fish, I would never even consider fishing just to traumatize a fish then release it for my entertainment. When I fish for marlin, I do it with the intention of keeping them for food, once I've caught enough to meet my food needs, I quit targeting them. I do usually release female dorado though, but I don't drag them into the boat for photos .

Skipjack Joe - 6-29-2014 at 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

I have to disagree, I fish because I like to eat very fresh fish, I would never even consider fishing just to traumatize a fish then release it for my entertainment.

Neither do I.

Nor does Jim.

Pescador - 6-29-2014 at 06:55 AM

Quote:
That's an interesting post, Jim, the 2nd one.

The problem is that very few people have the experience you have fishing. And if it took you all those years to gain this knowledge then how long will it take for the average angler.

I think the problem you describe is with the really large fish. I've had similar experiences with tuna on the east cape. Remember those pictures we all grew up with of Lee Wulff holding Atlantic salmon upside down by their tail. Major damage. I've held tuna that way with the intention of releasing them. You can actually feel their backbone cracking from the weight.

But with fish like calico bass, snapper, grouper (small) there is a very high rate of survival.

Actually, there are several reasons why c&r fails. You talked about protruding air bladders a few years ago. Those rapala like lures are really hard on some fish. And flyfishing shouldn't be done on anything over 8lbs.

It was not my intention to get into a philosophical discussion about fishing and especially catch and release as that issue will never be solved and depends on each persons belief system. What I do hope to accomplish is the healthy release of a billfish. If they do not leave the water, the catch is held to a reasonable time, and you pull them in the water until they have revived, then chances are very high for excellent survival rates, which have been proved with tagging reports of caught fish. In fact there was a blue that was caught 3 or 4 times between Cabo and Santa Rosalia / San Carlos.

For the average fisherman who is fortunate enough to hook one of these magnificent fish, my advice is to keep him in the water, remove the hook, resuscitate, and then release.

BajaRat - 6-29-2014 at 12:06 PM

Quote:

Not sure were your going with the C&R and advanced angler/an angler who just looks at fish as food is usually a beginner or seldom fishes comparison. That's a pretty broad assumption. I fish regularly in both my backyards and have been practicing C&R as a conservation tactic for 45 + years. I fish and hunt for food not the "sport".
I guess not all anglers are created equal. I can honestly say that I would not enjoy targeting or harming an animal for "sport" even if it is released.
I do thank you pescador for the info because targeting billfish is not likely to end until their capture becomes impractical, illegal or a memory of days gone by.

wetto - 7-2-2014 at 07:33 AM

I fish for sport and food. When release is the motive, I take good care and try to revive the fish very-well before the release. Do your best.

Let's not turn the entire BCS into a marine park just to look at them. Hemmingway and others would laugh there ass off.

Osprey - 7-2-2014 at 07:57 AM

I think a lot of things said of Hemingway are legend hype. I do think he was a good hunter, a good shot with a steady hand. His last one was right on target. So what do you think of your swashbuckling inkslinger now Mr. Death?

Ron_Perry - 7-2-2014 at 08:56 AM

Important issue, hook and release of billfish. Let's look at this subject chronologically. Where would this issue be ten years ago...twenty years ago...thirty? We as sports anglers have advanced. Thirty years ago only a small percentage of anglers would promote hook and release, and claim sport anglers are not the problem.

Sport anglers may not be the primary problem with the reduction of billfish, but we can help, and improve our perception of our fisheries as a whole. We are going in the right direction.

Where we we be in ten years...twenty? I hope to be around for that long and I admit....I love to fish not just for food but for enjoyment. And I admit I hope to release billfish in the future. If I am further educated that billfish have a low survival rate, I too may fish only for food.

Cypress - 7-2-2014 at 10:30 AM

Have only fished for billfish a time or two on charter boats. They're not the best eating fish by far and trolling doesn't do it for me. It's mostly a high-dollar deal and the fisherman is definitely not looking to feed his/her family. Release 'em without doing any more damage than necessary.

wessongroup - 7-2-2014 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Have only fished for billfish a time or two on charter boats. They're not the best eating fish by far and trolling doesn't do it for me. It's mostly a high-dollar deal and the fisherman is definitely not looking to feed his/her family. Release 'em without doing any more damage than necessary.

Dittos

LancairDriver - 7-2-2014 at 10:48 AM

At one time the fence along the runway (about 3800ft)at Buena Vista was lined with billfish tails. That was prior to being washed out by Hurricanes. Back then nothing was released. Thankfully that practice has pretty much ended.

Osprey - 7-2-2014 at 12:02 PM

Alka-Selzer Hooks

I knew the guy, Chad Atkins. He was sitting, standing, lurching near the bar at Rancho Leonero as he let us know how he felt about the hooks to be used in the fishing tournament which would begin just 39 hours from now. “Screw MC. Screw MC users and all the sponsors who are pushing this crap.”

He was jawjackin’ about the Multi-Coated Hooks which had been declared mandatory by the tournament board. At first I thought he was just exercised about which company got the OK to provide the hooks, or the cost, about $12 per hook.

He went on. “I’m not takin’ my whole crimping kit out there, have my sleeves dancin’ all over the deck, fumblin’ around makin’ leaders and rigs on board, while we’re supposed to be fishin’.”

I’d heard it all before. Another hard-head who didn’t get the message. Tournament fishing has come a long way from keep all the fish to tag and brag, water measure and all release, circle hooks and now the MC hooks. The new hooks were catching on. Here and at other fishing resorts the managers tell the bartenders to cook a hook or two in a c-cktail glass every shift. That way, everybody gets to watch, touch, feel, be a part of something. In sea water you can almost see the things dissolving in the glass.

Gamakatsu beat Owner by just 20 days when the hooks in the little bags full of gel hit the market. They won the big prize, got a jump on Mustad, Owner, the other big hook sellers. As tournament directors around the world learned about the strength tests, the 48 hour dissolving time, the cost, they began to get in line. The hookmakers were still taking flack about the fact that the gel packets looked like condoms, that all bets were off about hook life after the packets were opened. Members of Billfish Groups, now dedicated to the use of the hooks, could finally feel they were doing all they could do for the fishery wherever their tournaments were held, whatever game fish was the object of their contest.

I suppose every salt water fishermen, especially those who fish for billfish, wondered just how long it took his hooks, in the mouth, gill or gut of a fish he released, to rust out. Bar room chatter would always include some conjecture about days or weeks for ordinary hooks but in their hearts and minds they knew better. All of them had found, at one time or another, a rusty hook in their tackle cupboard that was still sharp and strong; a rusty relic that had never been used, was shiny and bright 10 or 15 years ago when it was purchased. Not enough to say “well this thing’s been here in the drawer all this time, not in salt water”. Serious sportsmen are willing to buy, rig and use disposable hooks; same-day hooks make for short-time rigging but the fishermen can now check the rig, the leader, just before use, be assured everything looks good.
When ole Chad sobers up tomorrow he’ll buy some MC hooks, take his kit aboard, crimp and grumble. Later he’ll brag about using the hooks to whoever will listen to him back home.