Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 08:14 PM
Releasing Billfish

Someone sent me this:

Sportfishing Magazine: Feb 2006

EASY DOES IT
A guide to properly releasing some of our most popular gamefish
By Capt. John McMurray

Every year, in more locations around the world, more anglers enjoy the pleasures of catch-and-release fishing. In addition to voluntarily freeing trophies, anglers release fish of all sizes. Some are let go because of size-limit regulations, but many survive because of angler ethics and peer pressure.
However, not all released fish do survive. To make sure catch-and-release fishing remains a viable conservation strategy, fish handling is crucial. Fishermen often debate the various methods and practices of proper release, so we asked a number of experts to explain the best current techniques for several popular species.

BILLFISH
Although anglers like to pose with their defeated quarry, removing even a small billfish from the water can damage the animal. Dr. Eric Prince of NOAA’s Southeast Fisheries Science Center notes that bringing a billfish aboard stresses it, particularly if the fish starts thrashing. Scraping the fish’s body along the gunwale can also strip away its protective coating of slime and subject it to the crippling effects of gravity. Large fish are particularly likely to sustain internal organ and skeletal damage when their weight is no longer supported by water.
To perform an in-water release, one deckhand should guide the fish to the side of the boat while the captain keeps the vessel moving ahead slowly. A second deckhand then removes the hook.
Traditionally, a mate would dehook the fish by reaching down and grabbing its bill then working the hook free. However, “billing” is losing popularity. Today’s alternative involves using a “snooter,” a plastic PVC pipe with a rope running inside, connected to a stainless-steel cable loop. The mate places the loop over the bill, then the cable is pulled tight by hand or by tying the rope off to a cleat. Once the fish is under control, the hook can be easily removed.
Some anglers cut the leader rather than attempt hook removal. However, scientists who have reviewed hundreds of tagged and recaptured billfish noted that about 25 percent of the time, hooks left in fish remained for more than a year, many causing infections. Thus, removing hooks – with a dehooking device -- is advisable if it wouldn’t further endanger the animal.
If you deeply hook a fish, cutting the leader as close to the hook as possible might be the best option. But deep-hooking can be avoided by using circle hooks, which are widely endorsed by fisheries scientists. Research has clearly demonstrated that circles minimize not only gut-hooked fish, but foul-hooked fish as well.
Billfish often need to be resuscitated before release. Reviving a billfish can be as simple as keeping the fish secured with a snooter while towing it slowly. When the fish shows signs of regaining strength, the mate slackens the rope, loosening the wire and freeing the fish.
Mates also use heavy tackle outfitted with a nylon-cord leader. They tie the cord with a slipknot to the upper portion of the fish’s bill, then tow the animal slowly 40 to 50 yards behind the boat. As the fish regains strength, it alters its position in the water column, decreasing the angle of the line. Once the angle drops to about 45 degrees, the crew can lead the fish back to the boat and release the slipknot. This approach tends to take the guesswork out of determining a fish’s recovery status.
Attempting to release a “green” fish carries its own risks, to the crew and the fish. Frantic boatside thrashing can cause fatal injuries if the fish slams itself against the hull.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 09:05 PM

I think its wrong to put the fish in danger in the first place. I think this "sport" of fishing should be reconsidered. What gives us the right to endanger the life of God's beautiful creatures? One can go on and on about theories associated with releasing bill fish or any other fish for that matter but the reality is that any time you sink a hook into a fish and drag it through the water while it desperately fights for it's life you are severely endangering it's health and life.

The solution is clear, sport fishing should be outlawed. This so called sport is practiced by a bunch of fat old wannabe's and ustabee's getting some sort of sick satisfaction out of dominating a defenseless fish. There are plenty of fish available at the market for our table needs, that old line about "putting food on the table" doesn't pass the smell test.

Let's do the right thing, let's set an example for others to follow, let's put an end to this barbaric practice of sport fishing. It's the right thing to do, we all know it. Ok, who's with me?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 09:23 PM

Dave, you are right again. Whew. I'll be by tomorrow to gather up your now useless fishing gear. You know you can trust me to put it out of action for good. Let all your buddies know I can save them time and gas money for trips to the dump/incinerator. All I need is a little time and an address and a time certain to do the pickup so I won't be chasing my tail.

No need to thank me. We're doing it not just for the fishery, but the planet. Dave, do you happen to know where Jenn Wren keeps their gear?
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 10:28 PM

I did my part at Punta Arena today. I didn't hook any fish.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 11:35 PM

I'm with DT but I certainly know where Frank is coming from.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2014 at 01:02 AM

If you are going to drag a billfish onto the boat, you might as well just keep it and eat it because there's a good chance it will die anyway.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
dorado50
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2014 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I think its wrong to put the fish in danger in the first place. I think this "sport" of fishing should be reconsidered. What gives us the right to endanger the life of God's beautiful creatures? One can go on and on about theories associated with releasing bill fish or any other fish for that matter but the reality is that any time you sink a hook into a fish and drag it through the water while it desperately fights for it's life you are severely endangering it's health and life.

The solution is clear, sport fishing should be outlawed. This so called sport is practiced by a bunch of fat old wannabe's and ustabee's getting some sort of sick satisfaction out of dominating a defenseless fish. There are plenty of fish available at the market for our table needs, that old line about "putting food on the table" doesn't pass the smell test.

Let's do the right thing, let's set an example for others to follow, let's put an end to this barbaric practice of sport fishing. It's the right thing to do, we all know it. Ok, who's with me?

UNBELIEVEABLE .......:lol::lol:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-27-2014 at 02:28 PM

Very nice thought DT, but i'm afraid World Hunger, Climate Change, current Global Strife, and making Sunni/chiite Peace takes priority at the moment, and also has a better chance at achievement.....

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 10:51 AM

I stopped chasing billfish 15 years ago. I was on a trip to the East Cape and hooked a nice Blue. After fighting this fish for well over an hour we got it boat side and did a clean release. The only problem with this was the fish was exhausted from the fight and as he slowly sunk out we watched a shark get him. That was it for me, no more.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 11:07 AM

Quote:

I'm with you. Not going to eat it? Don't catch it.

[Edited on 6-28-2014 by El Jefe]

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
I stopped chasing billfish 15 years ago. I was on a trip to the East Cape and hooked a nice Blue. After fighting this fish for well over an hour we got it boat side and did a clean release. The only problem with this was the fish was exhausted from the fight and as he slowly sunk out we watched a shark get him. That was it for me, no more.

Sad story, you made the right decision.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 11:42 AM

Warm waters inshore here now have drawn a lot of fish and with it, lots of sharks. Yesterday a charter client fought a nice stripped marlin to the boat, released it but it was worn out by the fight and they watched as several big sharks reduced it to chum in short order right next to the panga.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 03:43 PM

For those who have not had the experience, what normally happens is that a fisherman hooks a marlin and then the fish spends most of it's time on the surface jumping, running, greyhounding, sometimes going deep, but normally wearing themselves out in pretty short order. Now, if someone wants a picture on the back deck of the boat, here is what happens:

The mate grabs the bill of the fish with gloves, removes the hook, and then pulls straight up and drags the fish over the side of the boat. That is very much like being pulled over the torture rack because the fish's body is not built in such a way that it can bend very much and all of the weight of the fish is resting on 2 or 3 square inches while it is pulled to the point where it is finally in the back of the boat. Not only does this pull off all of the slime, which is their protective coating coating against infections, but you will find bruising and internal damage oftentimes because of the pressure on the body of the fish. By this time the fish is usually very tired and you notice in all of the photos that the fish has lost most of its bright colors meaning it is in a state of shock. (Imagine trying to do that with a big dorado which will knock the crap out of everything in the boat and anything else that gets in its way) Now those of you who have taken pictures know how long it takes to set up the shot and get everyone in postion. After the photo,the process is repeated and the fish is pushed over the side with more bruises and slime removal. Now it is in the water. Good fishermen hold the fish in the water while the boat is moved slowly forward until enough water has come over the gills to partially revive the fish. When a good tail beat is felt, then the fish is let go.

I only had to do this a couple of times in my fishing experience before I realized that I was being less than truthful. I felt great about releasing the fish, but deep down, I knew I had hurt the fish and caused some damage. So I bought a Go Pro mount for the camera and made it a simple rule that the fish must be released while still in the water. Also, I insist that we use a minimum of 40 lb line for stripeys, and up to 80 for big Blues. Most fish are at the boat and released in around 10 minutes or less and they all show good color and bright response. After a lot of experience I seem to know when they are ready to have the hook removed without thrashing into the side of the boat and causing damage to me or themselves.

It is interesting to note that when the scientists are getting fish for study and satellite planting, they use a sling with a bed that floats in the water, where they pull the fish into the net sling and then lift the whole thing carefully with full body support the whole time. Some of the catch and release tournaments in Florida do that with large tarpon. They slide the fish into the net sling, weigh the fish, and then release them.

So maybe some of the charter boats will adopt this method of safely lifting the fish from the water, taking a picture, and then sucessfully releasing the fish to fight another day.

Osprey, it is interesting that you mention the sharks. I have suspended billfishing this year due to the abnormally high number of sharks that I see every day out there. I thought it was just our area. We also had a swimmer at Punta Chivato get bumped by a shark.

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
Quote:

I'm with you. Not going to eat it? Don't catch it.

[Edited on 6-28-2014 by El Jefe]

I guess you could not see his "tongue in cheek" over the internet.

DT, can I have the Blackman if I promise to only use it for whale watching trips?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 04:27 PM

Why not just tie the leader around the rear bumper of a car? :mad:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 04:35 PM

I catch food not trophies :cool:
churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 07:33 PM

I dont like to target bill fish unless i am going to eat them... They are amazing fish.. I have been in situations when i cant keep them off the bait
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 08:47 PM

That's an interesting post, Jim, the 2nd one.

The problem is that very few people have the experience you have fishing. And if it took you all those years to gain this knowledge then how long will it take for the average angler.

I think the problem you describe is with the really large fish. I've had similar experiences with tuna on the east cape. Remember those pictures we all grew up with of Lee Wulff holding Atlantic salmon upside down by their tail. Major damage. I've held tuna that way with the intention of releasing them. You can actually feel their backbone cracking from the weight.

But with fish like calico bass, snapper, grouper (small) there is a very high rate of survival.

Actually, there are several reasons why c&r fails. You talked about protruding air bladders a few years ago. Those rapala like lures are really hard on some fish. And flyfishing shouldn't be done on anything over 8lbs.

C&R is really a sign of an advanced angler in my opinion. An angler who just looks at fish as food is usually a beginner or seldom fishes.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

C&R is really a sign of an advanced angler in my opinion. An angler who just looks at fish as food is usually a beginner or seldom fishes.
I have to disagree, I fish because I like to eat very fresh fish, I would never even consider fishing just to traumatize a fish then release it for my entertainment. When I fish for marlin, I do it with the intention of keeping them for food, once I've caught enough to meet my food needs, I quit targeting them. I do usually release female dorado though, but I don't drag them into the boat for photos .

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2014 at 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

I have to disagree, I fish because I like to eat very fresh fish, I would never even consider fishing just to traumatize a fish then release it for my entertainment.

Neither do I.

Nor does Jim.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.