BajaNomad

(UPDATE) broke down in Mulege: I need a decent mechanic...

vandy - 7-18-2014 at 06:56 AM

I was on my way towards the cool Pacific near Asuncion when my car blew a head gasket.
I got a tow to Autoservicio El Mulegeno.
Is this a reputable shop?
Thanks in advance!

Hmmm...I also need to check the posting forum next time...
"Non-trip reports"
Let's see: I didn't check the Agua Verde pavement.
Best gas station right at Soriana exit La Paz.
Soriana breaking $100 bills if you buy 300 pesos in food for 12.8 per dollar
Police will call a tow truck which costs 1500 pesos for ten miles.
[Edited on 7-18-2014 by vandy]

[Edited on 7-18-2014 by vandy]

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by vandy]

bajalorena - 7-18-2014 at 07:07 AM

Find Rudy! Both times we have had problems, he was able to help and very reasonable. He was about 3 streets down the main road to the right as I recall.

Mechanic

baja2013 - 7-18-2014 at 07:07 AM

I think those guys are good ...However ......if you need another shop use Oscar on the ice house road, on the left, just a few hundred feet from hwy.....!......

vandy - 7-18-2014 at 07:16 AM

Looks like I will get it done here since my car ain't moving and I haven't heard any scathing reports
Mechanics show up soon...

gnukid - 7-18-2014 at 07:27 AM

A blown head gasket is associated with a range of issues from just blown head gasket to warped head and parts that require re-machining or unfixable. it's up to the mechanic and their experience to note pitting issues after taking off the head and cleaning it up, but often in mexico, they don't have access to tools or environment to skim machine the head or even clean up properly and replacing the gasket won't help much on it's own. The type of motor also may tell a bit by known tendencies and type. Point is, it's not advisable to simply take a quick pass and replace the gasket and head back out to the desert. Whatever the work done, you should stay in town for a while and drive around to heat it up and see what happens. This type of repair is prone to failure in this environment. Good luck

boe4fun - 7-18-2014 at 07:33 AM

Ditto on Oscar, he's very good and reasonable.

vandy - 7-18-2014 at 07:46 AM

Looks like I will get it done here since my car ain't moving and I haven't heard any scathing reports
Just got quoted 4500 for everything.
I told em to go ahead, please.

vandy - 7-18-2014 at 07:49 AM

That includes machining the head in Constitucion and the gasket, oil, filter, etc.

willyAirstream - 7-18-2014 at 07:53 AM

You are good where you are, for now. As gnukid said, your head maybe warped, requiring machine shops service. Before assembly have them show you the mating surfaces are true. There is a machine shop in Loreto and CC and Santa Rosalia, but none in Mulege. CC being the ``engine machine shop``.
My recommendations for mechanics here are Pac and Daniel, just north of town and Coche under the bridge.
I live here full time, glad to help, in any way needed. Ck ur u2u

chuckie - 7-18-2014 at 08:07 AM

Pac and Daniel are magic guys...and honest...

micah202 - 7-18-2014 at 08:36 AM

..those guys on the hill are great--for my work,,they actually referred me to Oscar..so it's clear they work something as a team anyways!

....to break down and end up in Mulege is but a dream...not the cheapest mechanico's but certainly right for your head rebuild :yes:

....you'll stay long enough,,you might want to check-out some of the cottages available---sweet little town! :yes::yes:

absinvestor - 7-18-2014 at 09:04 AM

Agree with Micah202 but Mulege is rather "toasty" this time of year.

RenoJoe - 7-18-2014 at 09:06 AM

Bukoveck Auto Servicio did a great job on my Samari. They are very knowledgeable and reasonable. Main highway Km 136. Cell # 615 104 5423. Email was driftgta@hotmail.com

willyAirstream - 7-18-2014 at 09:14 AM

Fwiw, Bukoveck auto is Pac and Daniel.
There are other mechanics in town where you may need a year round rental :)
Toasty, yes, but more like scalding hot oatmeal. :)

micah202 - 7-18-2014 at 09:22 AM

....ahh yes,,forgot 'bout the heat...must be why there's so much grumping from the area these days--those palms,,pools ,,the ocean and cantinas must help,,no?

...what kind of temps these daze?

vandy - 7-18-2014 at 09:25 AM

Thank you all, but I am hoping just to rent a room for the night and be gone tomorrow evening, after testing the hell out of the car nearby first.

Winters on the Cortez side and summers on the Pacific.
Everybody should have two places in Baja, even if they are just for camping...

BooJumMan - 7-18-2014 at 09:33 AM

$4500?? Man, I need to become a mechanic down in Mexico! :)

I guess thats reasonable, I've never paid for mechanic work luckily, but depending on the car, it can be a pretty long process. Speaking of, what kind of car is it? (year/make/model)? How many miles on it?

micah202 - 7-18-2014 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandy
Thank you all, but I am hoping just to rent a room for the night and be gone tomorrow evening, after testing the hell out of the car nearby first.

Winters on the Cortez side and summers on the Pacific.
Everybody should have two places in Baja, even if they are just for camping...

...hmmm,that timeline sounds a tad optimistic

....from -everything- I've heard,,,the only 'place' I have in Baja would be on wheels!:light::light:

...I presume the $4500 is pesos,,,still a fair bit,,and hopefully for NOB quality. Over the years,mechanicos -have- figured out that they can charge that and people are still grateful......you might still find a mechanico in an isolated place that charges 20Ps/hr,,or it could go the other way!!......In any case,I love the resourcefulness,,,but be careful to know what you're paying for --a -proper- job at proper $.....or if it's 'stopgap',,hopefully that's all you pay for...but yeh,,the Mulege mechanics are pretty straightforward.

[Edited on 7-18-2014 by micah202]

ncampion - 7-18-2014 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
You are good where you are, for now. As gnukid said, your head maybe warped, requiring machine shops service. Before assembly have them show you the mating surfaces are true. There is a machine shop in Loreto and CC and Santa Rosalia, but none in Mulege. CC being the ``engine machine shop``.
My recommendations for mechanics here are Pac and Daniel, just north of town and Coche under the bridge.
I live here full time, glad to help, in any way needed. Ck ur u2u

Where is the maching shop in Loreto? I have not found one. There is a guy in Miramar that claims to be a machine shop but his equipment is terrible.

Lee - 7-18-2014 at 11:15 AM

Mechanics in Baja thread...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=57238#pid9039...

willyAirstream - 7-18-2014 at 11:26 AM

Ncampion, same guy. Very limited equipment.
Guy in SR is Nelson, main st and calle 11, large milling machine.
CC guys specialize in engine machining.

ncampion - 7-18-2014 at 11:49 AM

Thanks. Ruben is a great machanic who is now retired and his son Fili has taken over the shop. He is also very good, but as far as machine work, he does have one manual lathe but that's about it. I once watched him "re-surface" a 4 cyl aluminum head using a hand plane type of tool. Not sure how flat that head came out. Loreto could use a good automotive machine shop in my opinion, maybe people could actualy get their cars repaired instead of just throwing them away.

just south of town

John M - 7-18-2014 at 12:00 PM

We've had very good experience here - just across from the KM marker shown, a little south of Mulege.

John M

willyAirstream - 7-18-2014 at 12:15 PM

Yes, Fili is the best mechanic I have found anywhere! He uses the CC machine shop. John, this is where OP ended up. Armandos taller. I race with his son.

vandy - 7-18-2014 at 05:24 PM

Yup, that's the place!
It sure doesn't appear that they will know about torquing to 22 lbs and then turning the bolts 65 degrees, but I am now downtown and not looking over their shoulders.
I can only hope for the best.

BajaBlanca - 7-18-2014 at 07:46 PM

Good luck with everything!

mike odell - 7-18-2014 at 10:11 PM

Vandy [ aka, jb ]
I know where 2 beaters are stored, need someone to run one north?
:biggrin::biggrin:

vandy - 7-19-2014 at 08:07 AM

Wow!
That's mighty white of you, Mike!
But you shouldn't have someone run one of those beaters north.
If my car isn't fixed correctly, I'll be back to pick one up.
After all, I DO own them...:biggrin:

mike odell - 7-19-2014 at 10:27 PM

jaybee, I had planned to use them beaters for my new biddness, taxis from
here to La Roca, Felipe gonna work night shift, Pifa day's, only problema is
Pifa don't know how to drive and so far ain;t any clients. guess we best wait til
next year!! Sides, you hid out them key's!! Suerte on your repairs in Mulahey,

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

mcnut - 8-4-2014 at 09:06 AM

I wonder how this ended up, it would be helpful if the OPer updated us.

Bruce

vandy - 8-4-2014 at 11:22 AM

So Tony at the aforementioned shop had the work done by checkout time at the hotel in Mulege.
I got a ride from the shop to and from Mulege.

The car now has gone 3000 miles without a problem, so I think he fixed it!

vandy - 8-4-2014 at 11:37 AM

Oh, as far as all the costs:
2000 Hyundai Elantra
Tow 10 miles to shop $750
New head gasket: $1200 from Santa Rosalia
Radiator cap $100
Head planed and pressure tested in Santa Rosalia $600
Hotel $375
Labor $2200

Since I wanted an estimate before he began work, he included "All parts that may be needed, like rings".
He left out the thermostat, but I replaced it later.
I have to say I'm happy with the way it turned out...about 400 US for everything.

Tony also knew all the little idiosyncracies of tightening the bolts: he had the shop manual for it.

John M - 8-4-2014 at 03:07 PM

Tony? here?

I'm not so good remembering names.

John

willyAirstream - 8-4-2014 at 04:12 PM

Yes, Tony is the head mechanic here for Armando. He specializes in auto elec, as he used to work for Marcos in town. He knows his stuff and has many contacts.

vandy - 8-4-2014 at 06:40 PM

That's the place.
Willy, you were gone when I swung by...
Can't take the heat?
Me neither

willyAirstream - 8-4-2014 at 06:53 PM

yes, it can be brutal. Stop by next time you are passing thru.

mulegemichael - 8-4-2014 at 07:44 PM

richard....tony specializes in "auto electric" and he has the "contacts".....perfect, amigo....tranquilo. m.

willyAirstream - 8-4-2014 at 09:50 PM

I was also going to say he gets 10 points, but enough with the plugs. :)
Can ya tell it is hot here :) ;0

bajabuddha - 8-4-2014 at 10:00 PM

HOT ain't the word for it.... was there 11 years ago this week; damned near kilt me. Once was enough! Whew.

Bob and Susan - 8-5-2014 at 05:17 AM

there's actually quite a few people here this year...
just a different kind of tourist

the weather is perfect

the water is warm too

I took this pic yesterday...

frenchbn.jpg - 38kB

MulegeAL - 8-5-2014 at 09:48 AM

Nice water pic, I bet it is nice and warm.

We had 135 F on the asphalt pad up here at the race track in Shelton, WA on Sunday. Kinda hot in leathers!