BajaNomad

Best Ice Chest/Cooler

bajaguy - 7-19-2014 at 07:31 AM

This should be called the "Baja Ice Chest"

http://hiconsumption.com/2013/12/coolest-cooler/

ice chest that work..

captkw - 7-19-2014 at 07:35 AM

I have a IGLOO EXTREME that works rather well and now am looking at a YETI. anyone have one and have a review??

wetto - 7-19-2014 at 09:04 AM

Yeti's work well....more insulation.
more insulation = less space or bigger cooler. Bigger coolers in the Yeti and......you can lock them up to keep out the wild bears.

BajaRat - 7-19-2014 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I have a IGLOO EXTREME that works rather well and now am looking at a YETI. anyone have one and have a review??

Take a look at the new Coleman Esky. Totally new design for them to compete with Yeti at a much lower price. Stainless steel bolt for hinge, rubber seal and rubber latches, rope handles, super thick insulation and tough anti microbial plastic body with a cutting board that slides out from inside the super thick lid. Bought some in quantity with some friends at the Vegas Shot Show and I payed 200 USD for a 55 quart. The 85 was about 220 USD . The larger ones than those become a two man ordeal when full and take up more space than we're willing to sacrifice. 20 pounds of block ice last us a week in 90 + deg. weather :cool: real :cool:

Desertbull - 7-19-2014 at 10:21 AM

I have 4 YETI's we use exploring around Baja and the YETIs are 3-4 years old and they are bullet proof! Awesome to keep everything cold and they are robust to survive in the back of our trucks...I see variations of the YETI popping up all over the place but they just plain work.

Whale-ista - 7-19-2014 at 03:29 PM

The 65Q Pelican I bought in May did a fine job in the oppressive heat of Baja Sur last month.

Upside: It got up to 100 degrees inside the truck camper, but a 20 lb bag of ice lasted for a week along with other frozen items, and kept drinks cold enough for my tastes.

Downside: Built like a tank and weighs a ton. Well, 50 lbs.

CostCo had them, at good price, but I haven't seen them recently...they have them online @Costco.com. Also this is new, looks promising: http://www.costco.com/Lund-12-Gallon-Silver-Aluminum-Cooler....

[Edited on 7-19-2014 by Whale-ista]

The latest version of coolest cooler

Whale-ista - 7-19-2014 at 03:46 PM

Smart!

1 Suggestion: Add a solar panel to keep the battery that powers the blender/speaker/interior light charged up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-coo...

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
This should be called the "Baja Ice Chest"

http://hiconsumption.com/2013/12/coolest-cooler/

[Edited on 7-20-2014 by Whale-ista]

Or You can simply have someone "pimp your Yeti"...

Whale-ista - 7-20-2014 at 11:50 AM

from https://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/4521051969.html

River Rat Radios hand built right here in the Lone Star State....
These water tight radios are the perfect mobile option for great sound quality... Using all marine Sony speakers and a new Gel cell battery you can have hours of completely mobile music... Take it on the boat, the ATV, the tailgate, the golf cart, camping, the back porch or just doing yard work at the house... Completely rechargeable and now with Bluetooth! Contact Zac Abernathy to place your order at show contact info
(custom options available)

* the model in the photo has a 10" sony 800watt marine grade subwoofer, sony 6.5" marine speakers, a JVC head unit with Bluetooth all options, a marine grade Power bass amplifier and a few other goodies like color match LED lights on the inside... MSRP $750

Lower model can include but are not limited to... Polk audio marine 6.5" speakers... 60qt square cooler with wheels that should squeeze into a tube...power bass marine amp and rechargeable gel cell battery... MSRP $350

We can also "pimp" your YETI

Swamper, bogger, off road, mud, truck, 4x4, ford, chevy, dodge, toyota, lift, tires, radio, ice chest, cooler, boom box, speakers, CD player, river, tube, tunes

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
I have 4 YETI's we use exploring around Baja and the YETIs are 3-4 years old and they are bullet proof! Awesome to keep everything cold and they are robust to survive in the back of our trucks...I see variations of the YETI popping up all over the place but they just plain work.

watizname - 7-21-2014 at 07:19 AM

Progress marches on. All those years of pulling over in the middle of the desert and getting out the "fun box" and having only a bottle of tequila and some limes and salt. It could be a real party now with the blender, and boom box. Of course it might take a while longer to get anywhere. :cool::lol:

Udo - 7-21-2014 at 08:15 AM

I bought an ARB refrigerator/freezer three years ago.
It works on 12V or 120. You cane leave it unplugged for a few hours, and no temperature is lost.

Downside...fairly expensive...$650.00

motoged - 7-22-2014 at 12:20 PM

Coolers VS Bears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3k8qdh-r_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDOJQpA2W1o

thecoolerdude - 11-28-2014 at 06:40 PM

That's a pretty nice cooler. I found another website that compares a bunch of similar coolers: www.besticechest.org

ahh...huh!!

captkw - 11-28-2014 at 06:43 PM

Fatboy - 11-29-2014 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Coolers VS Bears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3k8qdh-r_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDOJQpA2W1o

Cool videos....you can just see the bear thinking....

Bob53 - 11-29-2014 at 12:17 PM

I've had my Yeti for about 3 years now and it has worked flawlessly. Keeps the ice for several days and is very rugged. I believe it has more than paid for itself by keeping the ice longer and making less trips to the store.

gator - 11-29-2014 at 02:56 PM

Cooler with a/c http://www.icybreeze.com/

I don't have one but seems like a cool concept. I have a pelican cooler they are a little less expensive then the yeti.

PaulW - 12-4-2014 at 08:53 AM

Another link
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/best-ice-chests-coo...

cool cooler

EdZeranski - 12-4-2014 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
The 65Q Pelican I bought in May did a fine job in the oppressive heat of Baja Sur last month.

]

We've been getting by with a Coleman Extreme from Costco and an electric Coleman from a thrift store. I think the Yeti products are the current killer units but we are OK with what we have for now. The extreme does well in Baja and Borrego for longer term storage and with the electric plugged into a 12vdc utility socket it does OK for frequent access. When coming north we pack the Coleman extreme with frozen fillets, put the whole thing in a walk-in, then wrap it in a thermal blanket for the drive..works fine.

EdZ

Bajaboy - 12-4-2014 at 03:46 PM

I bought a couple Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Coolers http://tinyurl.com/pp48hcb
and have been very pleased. I freeze gallon milk jugs filled with water. In one cooler, I keep items that I don't use very often and I put a heavy bath towel over the food. I use a second ice chest for drinks and things that I use often. I can easily go 4-5 days in 80-90 degree weather with this set up. My food stays cold, I don't have the mess of melting ice, and I have water as the ice melts if needed.

GregJackson - 12-4-2014 at 03:55 PM

Walmart has the 65 qt. Pelican for $199. In my opinion, it's the best choice.

Hook - 12-4-2014 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GregJackson  
Walmart has the 65 qt. Pelican for $199. In my opinion, it's the best choice.

I dont see that on their website. Is it an instore sale?

redhilltown - 12-5-2014 at 12:11 AM

I'll add a vote to the Coleman Xtreme coolers...many many years of great service while my mates have changed often. Only possible drawback is they dont have a secure latch (or mine doesn't) and the coyotes one year at Gonzaga Bay learned to bite into the top to lift it up...teeth marks still there and it is a good reminder to buckle up at night when it comes to those hungry lil beasts!

David K - 12-5-2014 at 06:53 AM

Coleman Xtreme is what we have also... 90ºF+ temps can go 5 days using block ice for food and 3 days using crushed ice for drinks. Keep them in shade or covered if possible, limit open times, drain melted ice daily. The ratio is about 50% of the space is ice and the rest is food or drinks. Pre-cool drinks to reduce instant ice melt on day 1.

If in Baja longer than 5 days, if you are in a town big enough to have an ice plant, add block ice for longest life... Mexican store crushed/bag ice lasts only a day.

bajalearner - 12-5-2014 at 09:09 AM

The coolest;

If he can keep the price high enough, he might sell to some yuppies who will display them in their garages. ridicules, I'm out.

[Edited on 12-5-2014 by bajalearner]

Hook - 12-5-2014 at 09:50 AM

I have a 62 quart Coleman Xtreme that I use to keep frozen bottles on the boat while fishing. They go into an insulated kill bag on the back as I dont have any below deck/hatch means of storing fish. It's got wheels on it, too. I am happy with the way it keeps ice. A good block of ice WILL last five days in 90 degrees.

And, for the price (~50.00), I could buy 4-6 of them for the cost of a similar sized Yeti or Pelican.

But, truthfully, I have gotten away from much cooler camping. We live out of a Lance 1030 for almost three months in the summer. A six cu/f absorption fridge for food and an Engel-type 45 quart compressor fridge for ALL the drinks. We only have a single gp 31 AGM battery but have a 140 watt solar panel that more than keeps up with everything. Unlike some, our Dometic propane absorption fridge works great, consistently keeps air at about 55-60 degrees colder than ambient temps. If it's below 85, I have to turn it down.

If I was embarking on outfitting myself with a cooler camping setup these days, I would certainly consider going with a 45-65 qt. compressor fridge, a collapsible, foldable solar panel that I could set out somewhere (probably an 80 watt one) and upgrading your car/truck battery. It's really nice not having to deal with ice! We havent bought ice in three years of living on the road. BUT we can make regular sized cubes in the absorption fridge freezer. Gotta have ice for hora feliz. But I am never having to deal with or worry about melted ice water or where to get ice next. We are remote campers.

I have never understood how people can live out of a 65 quart ice chest for more than a weekend. There just isnt enough room for drinks, food AND ice in something that small, if you are staying out more than three days. Not for us, anyway.

So, to continue with getting re-started with cooler camping scenario, I would also carry a small 35-50 quart Xtreme-type cooler for block(s) of ice and put the food in there. Blocks last so much longer and can be chipped at for ice in drinks.

AND MAKE THE BLOCKS YOURSELF IF YOU CAN. Commercial block ice these days is not that cold. Often, it's only about 20 degrees. Ice kept at zero degrees F lasts much longer. You want that clear and solid look, if you can get it.

Skipjack Joe - 12-5-2014 at 10:07 AM

Here is a ranking of the coolers being discussed:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Cooler-Reviews

You get what you pay for.

[Edited on 12-5-2014 by Skipjack Joe]

redhilltown - 12-6-2014 at 01:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Coleman Xtreme is what we have also... 90ºF+ temps can go 5 days using block ice for food and 3 days using crushed ice for drinks. Keep them in shade or covered if possible, limit open times, drain melted ice daily. The ratio is about 50% of the space is ice and the rest is food or drinks. Pre-cool drinks to reduce instant ice melt on day 1.

If in Baja longer than 5 days, if you are in a town big enough to have an ice plant, add block ice for longest life... Mexican store crushed/bag ice lasts only a day.

Block ice is the key...maybe even more than the cooler? I try to buy it at a real ice company and guy once explained to me that even all block ice isn't the same (you can buy smaller ones at the market). If you have two coolers and the space, you can double up on the block ice and tape it shut...I will also put some bags of frozen veggies in there...sure they will thaw but will be fine to use for a few days at least. I also hate hate hate food getting ruined by ice water so I always have a large tupperware container of some sort that I put the food in and maybe some frozen water bottles...keeps the food dry. You can easily go 5-7 days like this. If you have warm beer or wine, you can drain off the water and pre chilled them before adding to the cooler...I realize the horrors or rookie violations of having warm beer, but it does happen now and then!!!!!

Hook - 12-6-2014 at 06:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

My God, 265.00-345.00 dollars for a 45 QUART ICE CHEST!!????? Actually, it's not even 45 quarts.........all the insulation makes it only a 38 quart capacity. Ridiburrous!

The Xtreme 62 takes the value crown in this competition.

Igloo is now making some Yeti knock-offs. Wonder how they perform?

monoloco - 12-6-2014 at 07:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I have a 62 quart Coleman Xtreme that I use to keep frozen bottles on the boat while fishing. They go into an insulated kill bag on the back as I dont have any below deck/hatch means of storing fish. It's got wheels on it, too. I am happy with the way it keeps ice. A good block of ice WILL last five days in 90 degrees.

And, for the price (~50.00), I could buy 4-6 of them for the cost of a similar sized Yeti or Pelican.

But, truthfully, I have gotten away from much cooler camping. We live out of a Lance 1030 for almost three months in the summer. A six cu/f absorption fridge for food and an Engel-type 45 quart compressor fridge for ALL the drinks. We only have a single gp 31 AGM battery but have a 140 watt solar panel that more than keeps up with everything. Unlike some, our Dometic propane absorption fridge works great, consistently keeps air at about 55-60 degrees colder than ambient temps. If it's below 85, I have to turn it down.

If I was embarking on outfitting myself with a cooler camping setup these days, I would certainly consider going with a 45-65 qt. compressor fridge, a collapsible, foldable solar panel that I could set out somewhere (probably an 80 watt one) and upgrading your car/truck battery. It's really nice not having to deal with ice! We havent bought ice in three years of living on the road. BUT we can make regular sized cubes in the absorption fridge freezer. Gotta have ice for hora feliz. But I am never having to deal with or worry about melted ice water or where to get ice next. We are remote campers.

I have never understood how people can live out of a 65 quart ice chest for more than a weekend. There just isnt enough room for drinks, food AND ice in something that small, if you are staying out more than three days. Not for us, anyway.

So, to continue with getting re-started with cooler camping scenario, I would also carry a small 35-50 quart Xtreme-type cooler for block(s) of ice and put the food in there. Blocks last so much longer and can be chipped at for ice in drinks.

AND MAKE THE BLOCKS YOURSELF IF YOU CAN. Commercial block ice these days is not that cold. Often, it's only about 20 degrees. Ice kept at zero degrees F lasts much longer. You want that clear and solid look, if you can get it.
X2 on the Engel. We have been running our Engel 24/7 for 5 years, it's great for traveling, and we use it as a freezer in the house.

Hook - 12-6-2014 at 07:43 AM

Does anyone make a thermoelectric with a sawafuji or danfoss compressor that has a freezer section and a cooler section? Of, say, at least 45 quarts?

Skipjack Joe - 12-6-2014 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

My God, 265.00-345.00 dollars for a 45 QUART ICE CHEST!!????? Actually, it's not even 45 quarts.........all the insulation makes it only a 38 quart capacity. Ridiburrous!

The Xtreme 62 takes the value crown in this competition.

Igloo is now making some Yeti knock-offs. Wonder how they perform?

Why then is Igloo making a Yeti knock off?

It's like we used to say about buying a high quality fly reel

"You cry only once".

We car camped this year in alaska, IN ALASKA, and had to add ice to our coleman every other day. When you add the cost of mileage looking for a tienda to buy ice it slowly starts to tip towards the Yeti. And the inconvenience of making ice runs.

Not everyone wants to drive a 3/4 ton truck with a Lance camper on it's back.

Hook - 12-6-2014 at 03:45 PM

"Not everyone wants to drive a 3/4 ton truck with a Lance camper on it's back."

Absolutely. But I dont bring an ice chest when I am in that rig. No need with the built-in absorption unit and the compressor fridge.

If that was a Coleman Xtreme that you used in AK, something else was going on. Frequent openings, high ambient temps in a vehicle, adding warm foods and beverages each day, something.

There's no way you are buying ice every other day with an Xtreme, unless the ice was just crappy ice.

I'm sure the Yeti is a better ice chest..........but, then, it better be for the price. The Yeti Tundra 45 is running about 7.80 per quart of capacity. The Coleman Xtreme 62 runs about 1.30 per quart. Prices based on purchase on Amazon. That's exactly six times more expensive per unit of capacity.

According to the rating above, the Yeti keeps ice for less than 20% longer than the Xtreme.

Amazingly, the Xtreme 62 is only 47.99 on Amazon and Prime members get free two-day shipping. That's a great deal for a 62 quart, multi day ice chest.........with wheels. Figure that you probably will have to replace the hinges in a couple years on the Xtreme, though.

Skipjack Joe - 12-6-2014 at 04:28 PM

Yes I am aware that one is 5 times the cost of the other but it's a one time cost. The ice has to be refilled repeatedly through the life of the cooler. If you are refilling it 20% more often the cost in gas to make purchase trips will make up that difference. I don't how long that will take and am too lazy to do the math.

tripledigitken - 12-6-2014 at 04:33 PM

Hook,

Where do you keep the Engel-type fridge when on the road?

Ken

Pacifico - 12-6-2014 at 04:35 PM

I bought an Igloo Yukon cooler. A little pricey, but in this case I think you definitely get what you pay for. It has the thick walls and lid, sealed lid, and beefy hinges. So far, I'm very happy with it's performance. I've put frozen fish in it and covered the fish in ice for the trip home from Baja and it actually turns into a giant frozen block by the time I get home! Makes it difficult to get the vacuum packed bags of fish out of the ice, but I can live with that!

MMc - 12-6-2014 at 04:48 PM

Pacifico, try a sheet of wax paper between the layers.

Pacifico - 12-6-2014 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Pacifico, try a sheet of wax paper between the layers.

Great idea! Thanks MMc!

MMc - 12-6-2014 at 06:53 PM

The idea here is to have a dry layer between the frozen stuff. If have have a Popsicle that's wet outside it's wraper and freeze next to another one, the water binds the 2 together. If there is a layer of dry in between the Popsicles they come apart. Same idea, most folks load up the chest and there is a little water (sweat) between the packages and they freeze the water between and it's just like glue. Sometimes we use 2 layers of wax paper and make sure the insides stays dry.

Hook - 12-6-2014 at 09:42 PM

Remember that I travel in a truck with a camper on the back. It's a fairly large camper and it goes on a counter in the kitchen area that is just made for one of these. I have a bungee that keeps it in place.

If I dont have the camper on, I keep it on the bench seat in the extra cab portion of my truck.

You really cannot consider having a thermoelectric type cooler unless you are committed to driving a few hours every other day OR if you have solar. Or, if you are staying on the grid all the time. My F-350 has TWO batteries and one trip, I caught a bunch of dorado and filled the thing with vacuumed sealed fillets and froze them. It eventually did freeze them solid after about 36 hours of probably continuous running. But on the third day, when I tried to start my truck, no go.

The 45 Engels draw about 2.1 amps @12v when they are running. Someone else can figure out the minimum sized solar panel to keep ahead of that draw.

On the road, I generally turn my Engel off at night. It makes up the loss in temp in an hour.

[Edited on 12-7-2014 by Hook]