Best Ice Chest/Cooler

This should be called the "Baja Ice Chest"

http://hiconsumption.com/2013/12/coolest-cooler/

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-19-2014 at 07:35 AM
ice chest that work..

I have a IGLOO EXTREME that works rather well and now am looking at a YETI. anyone have one and have a review??
wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2014 at 09:04 AM

Yeti's work well....more insulation.
more insulation = less space or bigger cooler. Bigger coolers in the Yeti and......you can lock them up to keep out the wild bears.

Lee S
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-19-2014 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I have a IGLOO EXTREME that works rather well and now am looking at a YETI. anyone have one and have a review??

Take a look at the new Coleman Esky. Totally new design for them to compete with Yeti at a much lower price. Stainless steel bolt for hinge, rubber seal and rubber latches, rope handles, super thick insulation and tough anti microbial plastic body with a cutting board that slides out from inside the super thick lid. Bought some in quantity with some friends at the Vegas Shot Show and I payed 200 USD for a 55 quart. The 85 was about 220 USD . The larger ones than those become a two man ordeal when full and take up more space than we're willing to sacrifice. 20 pounds of block ice last us a week in 90 + deg. weather :cool: real :cool:
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2014 at 10:21 AM

I have 4 YETI's we use exploring around Baja and the YETIs are 3-4 years old and they are bullet proof! Awesome to keep everything cold and they are robust to survive in the back of our trucks...I see variations of the YETI popping up all over the place but they just plain work.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-19-2014 at 03:29 PM

The 65Q Pelican I bought in May did a fine job in the oppressive heat of Baja Sur last month.

Upside: It got up to 100 degrees inside the truck camper, but a 20 lb bag of ice lasted for a week along with other frozen items, and kept drinks cold enough for my tastes.

Downside: Built like a tank and weighs a ton. Well, 50 lbs.

CostCo had them, at good price, but I haven't seen them recently...they have them online @Costco.com. Also this is new, looks promising: http://www.costco.com/Lund-12-Gallon-Silver-Aluminum-Cooler....

[Edited on 7-19-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2014 at 03:46 PM
The latest version of coolest cooler

Smart!

1 Suggestion: Add a solar panel to keep the battery that powers the blender/speaker/interior light charged up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-coo...

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
This should be called the "Baja Ice Chest"

http://hiconsumption.com/2013/12/coolest-cooler/

[Edited on 7-20-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 11:50 AM
Or You can simply have someone "pimp your Yeti"...

from https://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/4521051969.html

River Rat Radios hand built right here in the Lone Star State....
These water tight radios are the perfect mobile option for great sound quality... Using all marine Sony speakers and a new Gel cell battery you can have hours of completely mobile music... Take it on the boat, the ATV, the tailgate, the golf cart, camping, the back porch or just doing yard work at the house... Completely rechargeable and now with Bluetooth! Contact Zac Abernathy to place your order at show contact info
(custom options available)

* the model in the photo has a 10" sony 800watt marine grade subwoofer, sony 6.5" marine speakers, a JVC head unit with Bluetooth all options, a marine grade Power bass amplifier and a few other goodies like color match LED lights on the inside... MSRP $750

Lower model can include but are not limited to... Polk audio marine 6.5" speakers... 60qt square cooler with wheels that should squeeze into a tube...power bass marine amp and rechargeable gel cell battery... MSRP $350

We can also "pimp" your YETI

Swamper, bogger, off road, mud, truck, 4x4, ford, chevy, dodge, toyota, lift, tires, radio, ice chest, cooler, boom box, speakers, CD player, river, tube, tunes

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
I have 4 YETI's we use exploring around Baja and the YETIs are 3-4 years old and they are bullet proof! Awesome to keep everything cold and they are robust to survive in the back of our trucks...I see variations of the YETI popping up all over the place but they just plain work.

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 07:19 AM

Progress marches on. All those years of pulling over in the middle of the desert and getting out the "fun box" and having only a bottle of tequila and some limes and salt. It could be a real party now with the blender, and boom box. Of course it might take a while longer to get anywhere. :cool::lol:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 08:15 AM

I bought an ARB refrigerator/freezer three years ago.
It works on 12V or 120. You cane leave it unplugged for a few hours, and no temperature is lost.

Downside...fairly expensive...$650.00

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 12:20 PM

Coolers VS Bears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3k8qdh-r_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDOJQpA2W1o

Don't believe everything you think....
thecoolerdude

[*] posted on 11-28-2014 at 06:40 PM

That's a pretty nice cooler. I found another website that compares a bunch of similar coolers: www.besticechest.org
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-28-2014 at 06:43 PM
ahh...huh!!

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Coolers VS Bears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3k8qdh-r_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDOJQpA2W1o

Cool videos....you can just see the bear thinking....
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 12:17 PM

I've had my Yeti for about 3 years now and it has worked flawlessly. Keeps the ice for several days and is very rugged. I believe it has more than paid for itself by keeping the ice longer and making less trips to the store.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
gator
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 02:56 PM

Cooler with a/c http://www.icybreeze.com/

I don't have one but seems like a cool concept. I have a pelican cooler they are a little less expensive then the yeti.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 08:53 AM

Another link
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/best-ice-chests-coo...
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 03:13 PM
cool cooler

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
The 65Q Pelican I bought in May did a fine job in the oppressive heat of Baja Sur last month.

]

We've been getting by with a Coleman Extreme from Costco and an electric Coleman from a thrift store. I think the Yeti products are the current killer units but we are OK with what we have for now. The extreme does well in Baja and Borrego for longer term storage and with the electric plugged into a 12vdc utility socket it does OK for frequent access. When coming north we pack the Coleman extreme with frozen fillets, put the whole thing in a walk-in, then wrap it in a thermal blanket for the drive..works fine.

EdZ
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 03:46 PM

I bought a couple Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Coolers http://tinyurl.com/pp48hcb
and have been very pleased. I freeze gallon milk jugs filled with water. In one cooler, I keep items that I don't use very often and I put a heavy bath towel over the food. I use a second ice chest for drinks and things that I use often. I can easily go 4-5 days in 80-90 degree weather with this set up. My food stays cold, I don't have the mess of melting ice, and I have water as the ice melts if needed.

GregJackson

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 03:55 PM

Walmart has the 65 qt. Pelican for $199. In my opinion, it's the best choice.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.