BajaNomad

SJD and Cabo San lucas looting

nobaddays - 9-17-2014 at 02:59 PM

The reports I am getting are saying trucks have rammed the steel doors of Walmart, Costco, Soriana,s and City Club. I gues hungry people need 65 inch flat screens and beer! Just disgusting to see people take advantage of a terrible situation.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by nobaddays]

bajabuddha - 9-17-2014 at 03:17 PM

...or just that geographic location... 'tis the nature of The Beast. On the other hand, Saul's Tienda in Mulege is giving out food packages for the needy.

CaboMagic - 9-17-2014 at 04:02 PM

I cannot comment from personal knowledge on who is doing what or why BUT I can offer a possible explaination - Those stores also have food/beverages and people are hungry and dehydrating .. sure there will be the jerks and opportunistic a**holes but I assure you our caretaker knows in the event of necessity, take whatever is in our pantry/storage etc and distribute to those in need.

I will also post here what I am sending enmasse to thousands of clients/friends that are asking ..
Hello friends, please excuse the impersonal aspect of a mass email, but please also understand I've been overwhelmed by the volume of emails and phone calls from guests, friends, and even people just asking me for help with their family/friends were visiting Cabo when the storm hit. I am grateful to give whatever assistance I can, as well as whatever modicum of comfort my answers and information provide.

All of you by now know that Cabo San Lucas was hit by Hurricane Odile.

As of today, Weds Sept 17th, damage assessments are still underway. Cleanup is as well. I dont have information that I can pass on, from official sources, saying what is recommended for guests scheduled to visit within the next 30 days.

We are extremely thankful no lives were lost. As we understand it, one small boat sank. Cel towers are down. Areawide electricity has been on/off while repairs are made to downed/hot power lines.

Mxn military planes began visitor evacuations Tuesday morning. The airport runway is usable, tower and terminals require repairs. The only commercial flights allowed in bring supplies.

Many properties are actually ok, with the expected cleanup of debris. Some properties sustained extensive damage - especially the ones that built 'on the cheap' installing glass that could not withstand the force of winds, often referenced as "American Building Codes"

As you may know, Mexican culture dictates taking care of your fellow man/woman and so our extended family are busy taking care of each other, and, the tourists who are not accustomed to such ways.

My hope and prayers are that everyone learns lessons that, God in His infinite wisdom has seen fit to impose upon us all, at this time.

For those asking, credit vouchers will be issued per published policy:

http://www.cabomagic.com/policy-refunds-cancellations/

Anyone demanding a refund, we respectfully ask you to re-consider - knowing what our people have gone thru. Those funds can help them survive until Cabo is able to welcome guests.

Prayers definitely appreciated. Thank you, on behalf of all everyone associated with Cabo Magic, Tommy & Lori Garcia

Udo - 9-17-2014 at 06:14 PM

Well said, Tommy!

However...

Looting has been within our culture for numerous years. Take the USA, where looting has been a way of life for many people who take advantage of some ludicrous situations to have a looting spree.

I may be wrong, but I feel that the Mexican culture has been a very honorable culture in years past, and this time was the first ever opportunity that some less than honorable people took advantage of the situation, and others merely followed in their footsteps.

Still not an excuse, however!

sd - 9-17-2014 at 06:43 PM

Being reported on today's news in Southern California - A person speaking by phone lives in Cabo San Lucas. He reports no police presence and limited military presence. States he has driven from CSL to San Jose and witnessed wide spread looting.

No water service and lack of food and drinking water is making things difficult.

Not taking just food and water, stealing everything they can carry.

Unfortunate for everyone, store owners must be terribly disappointed.

El Jefe - 9-17-2014 at 06:58 PM

Here is a first hand report from a friend in Zacatitos

Hi everyone, quick update...
I made it to town on the paved road yesterday, wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be...I cannot even begin to explain to you what San Jose looks like now...Honestly, ever business on the Carretera is completely demolished and looters have taken everything and are freely walking around town with shopping carts full of brand new stuff...Everything, one guy had a cart full of brand new toys...It is beyond awful. Every power pole and power lines are down and block most roads.. It will be awhile before power is restored thats for sure...There is no food (no grocery stores)..Either the windows blew out like Mega or trucks rammed the steel doors like Walmart, Costco, Soriana and City Club...Every single store. Every pharmacy and clinic was Closed yesterday... ? I don't know where all of the sick and injured are..I'm guessing the new IMSS hospitals..The old one in San Jose looked closed to me and no one was there..
We are cleaning, mopping out and drying up homes as best we can. We hope to have some labor help starting tomorrow. Some of our workers who live in the colonias completely lost their homes...we are so sad for them..There are many, many homeless..All of those carton houses in the arroyo in Santa Rosa are gone, it is so awful..
The President of Mexico was here yesterday and spoke in Playita and evaluated the damage and is bringing in big Generators and help from the mainland...We are sure going to need it..We hear the gas stations have gas now that they've got generators..We don't know road conditions but since the storm marched straight up the peninsula, there could be a lot of damage which will keep us from getting supplies.
We hear the airport is closed until the 23rd. Yesterday I did see 1 Interjet flight and military planes. We hear the military is flying out all of the tourists to either Mazatlan or TJ...You all may know this and more than I do since we have limited internet and no cel service.. Our main priority right now is drying everything out and making sure homes are secure. I very much worry about possible looting out here since there is nothing left in town anymore...I saw a very suspicious vehicle yesterday, empty black truck with 4 guys in it who couldn't tell me who they were going to see...Most every home has palapa damage, landscaping took it the worst, broken windows, glass and debris in the pools. Solar panels all over the place...this can all be repaired but it will take time since we don't know when we will get materials, every business is pretty much gone and town must be rebuilt...and everyone is out of work..The storm was horrible but the after math will be worse...
I can't give everyone detailed description of their damages (we are taking photos for insurance purposes for our clients) but have been giving neighbors a quick idea of what I've seen at their homes.
All I can say is we are doing the best we can with what we have and will continue to put one foot in front of the other to get all our clients homes back up and running...Every thing will be fine but it is going to take time. In the mean time we are waiting for the next storm....
We do NOT need any more rain or wind...
I will be in touch again when I can..
Our internet is getting worse rather than better so now we must go to a neighbors to get signal...

bajalearner - 9-17-2014 at 08:11 PM

Having lived many years in cities and some time in small towns, my two cents is that small communities have the benefit of knowing most of the residents and can either help each other or apply peer pressure to keep many of the knuckleheads in line.

If a city is big enough to have a Walmart and Cosco, there's no peer pressure because everyone's anonymous. Also, there's always the 1 to 5 percent of idiots anywhere and a city's 1 to 5% equates to allot more knuckleheads than a small population area.

When people need the basic necessities to live, an impersonal big box store may seem like a food bank free for all.

I up north and dry but I feel really bad for you guys scraping the mud off everything you touch and I wish you the best. Small words for your huge problems but I feel your pain.

Nancy Drew - 9-17-2014 at 08:34 PM

Here is a scene from City Club take Sept 17th, must be having a $0 dollar sale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HxCerwnG10

slimshady - 9-17-2014 at 10:06 PM

What a shame. Scenes like this will surely not help their plight. People seeking the necessitys is understandable but TV'S and refrigerators no way!

fishmugger - 9-18-2014 at 06:53 AM

What do they tell there priest in confession?

steve5555 - 9-18-2014 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Drew
Here is a scene from City Club take Sept 17th, must be having a $0 dollar sale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HxCerwnG10

Wow! That is outrageous.

Steve

Heather - 9-18-2014 at 09:22 AM

I have friends that work on the Pez Gato catamarans in San Lucas. They say the city is like a warzone! Praying for friends and family at the tip...

bajabuddha - 9-18-2014 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishmugger

Aye, there's the rub! They only have to confess, and they're ABSOLVED don'tchaknow!

".... I feel that the Mexican culture has been a very honorable culture in years past, and this time was the first ever opportunity that some less than honorable people took advantage of the situation..."

That's why there are bars on windows and doors of every household in Mexico almost nationwide.

It's the nature of The Beast; happened in New Orleans, Ferguson, we could go on forever on it. Karma will deliver, but for now, it's a free-for-all until the Army gets there. The word 'SAD' just isn't sufficient. My heart goes out to each and every one in Baja; please be safe, care for each other, and the WORLD will do what we can for you.

El Jefe - 9-18-2014 at 09:43 AM

The Mega store in San Jose was organized. Guards with machetes were allowing people in for five minutes to gather what food and supplies they needed. "No electronicas!" As they left the store employees were collecting things that were not essentials.

Kind of reminded me of the old TV show, Supermarked Sweep. "Cinco minutos!"

Odile has been an Ordeal. Let's hope Polo doesn't put its Marco on Cabo.

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by El Jefe]

mtgoat666 - 9-18-2014 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Quote:
Originally posted by fishmugger

Aye, there's the rub! They only have to confess, and they're ABSOLVED don'tchaknow!

".... I feel that the Mexican culture has been a very honorable culture in years past, and this time was the first ever opportunity that some less than honorable people took advantage of the situation..."

That's why there are bars on windows and doors of every household in Mexico almost nationwide.

It's the nature of The Beast; happened in New Orleans, Ferguson, we could go on forever on it. Karma will deliver, but for now, it's a free-for-all until the Army gets there. The word 'SAD' just isn't sufficient. My heart goes out to each and every one in Baja; please be safe, care for each other, and the WORLD will do what we can for you.

perhaps the looters have a much different reality than the people here passing judgement on them.
perhaps us priviliged middle class people with economic opportunity, stable finances, pensions, retirement, insurance, and leisure time to vacation in baja, dont know what it's like to live in poverty with little economic opportunity, and live in a tin shack and watch your shack blow away in a hurricane.
the polite rules of civil society may not translate well to the slums...

anyhow, it's not a cultural thing. looting or theft happens in all cultures in times of chaos.

micah202 - 9-18-2014 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
The Mega store in San Jose was organized. Guards with machetes were allowing people in for five minutes to gather what food and supplies they needed. "No electronicas!" As they left the store employees were collecting things that were not essentials.

....I couldn't think it right for stores to remain well-stocked while people are in need as they are.....it sounds like the Mega in SJ had the balance right.

Lee - 9-18-2014 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
perhaps the looters have a much different reality than the people here passing judgement on them.
perhaps us priviliged middle class people with economic opportunity, stable finances, pensions, retirement, insurance, and leisure time to vacation in baja, dont know what it's like to live in poverty with little economic opportunity, and live in a tin shack and watch your shack blow away in a hurricane.
the polite rules of civil society may not translate well to the slums...

anyhow, it's not a cultural thing. looting or theft happens in all cultures in times of chaos.

Thank you for writing that.

Those passing judgment here don't know.

EdwardTeach - 9-18-2014 at 10:59 AM

Most (if not all) cities are three missed meals away from total anarchy.

Some years ago there was a boil water advisory in Vancouver BC and it only took a day for fist fights to break out in the local Costcos over bottled water. Some individuals thought they were going to grab their entire stock and were trying to wheel whole pallets to the checkout, while denying any to those (including many elderly people) who were just looking for a couple of bottles. Truly disgusting behavior. Note that the water was still flowing, but it was turbid due to heavy rains so it was recommended that it be boiled first. A somewhat minor inconvenience.

food,water and life

captkw - 9-18-2014 at 11:03 AM

Myself,, have found that DOGS are more civil than homo sapeins

micah202 - 9-18-2014 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EdwardTeach
Most (if not all) cities are three missed meals away from total anarchy.

...ain't that the truth.

...it's all easy to get high-horsed and political until the chips are down:yes::O:(

El Jefe - 9-18-2014 at 12:43 PM

And now on a brighter note. I just saw this on FB. I do not know the writer, but here it is;

This was a positive post I saw on FB today …gives me hope!

Rick AntillonHEART FOR CABO
IMPORTANT ANNOUMNCEMENT!!!!

I just off the phone with a good Mexican friend Jay Vazquez that is at ground zero. He has been spending a lot of time on the streets of Cabo. We spoke for an hour and this is what he told me. Very good news. Also my girlfriend spoke to her aunt that lives by Soriana in San Lucas who confirmed this information is true.

1) The stories of gangs driving the streets with machetes and guns is highly exagerated. He said he has heard of some isolated incidents of a few home robberies and that was it. He said that the streets have been peaceful. No riots or fires. He has not seen one vehicle driving around with gangs in it. He told me that some of the Mexicans out of fear have spread exaggerated stories of multiple home break in's which in turn the gringos heard which in turn made the gringos scared to death leading them to barracade their neighborhoods especially when they see other people doing it. Yes some homes have been brokren into. It's caused a wide spread panic out of fear of danger that doesn't even exist. My friend has been moving freely around San Lucas and San Jose each day and has not seen any violence or gangs. That doesn't go to say that he is seeing everything so if you have actual 'facts' of anything else and are confident of the information please report it but only if you know it's not gossip created out of fear.

2) 14 prisoners broke out of jail but they did not start gangs. They simple broke out and are no where to be found but they are not running gangs.

3) The looting at Costco went like this. Costco told their employees and families that they could go in and take the necessities they need with military patrol overseeing the area. When other locals saw this they felt that they should be able to join in and proceeded to get what they wanted which caused it to be disorderly but not violent. The military could not really stop them without shooting so they let people take things and even things that they really didn't need like tvs. However it was not a forced violent entry and started off with the permission of Costco. This has been the case with some other businesses as well. It's not to discredit the fact that some stores have actually been broken and looted in Los Cabos.

4) He said the basic needs are water and food. So we must continue to raise funds to donate to legitimate organizations that will deliver them asap!

5) He is seeing CFE starting to put up temporary power and phone lines. Some areas he is being told will have electricity in 3-4 days but not all areas

6) He is seeing more and more military come in steadily and restoring order

7) He said the government is doing a great job in making things happen very quickly

8) Roads between San Jose and San Lucas are clear and safe to travel

9) He said he is feeling peace where ever he goes and no sense of fear

I think it's important we spread this news while still telling our friends and families there to be alert in protecting their areas as there will still be those that will steal and take advantage of the situation.

Help is on the way and people will be fed and have water. Continue to pray because the prayers are working and continue to pray for this next hurricane to go west as it seems to be headed that way more and more very second.

Please forgive me if I posted anything different yesterday as I was being giving information from people on the ground in San Lucas that were feeding off the fear of others who may have actually experience a isolated event in the area.

I think we can find a lot of peace in todays information as we continue to pray and believe with confidence that everyone will be OK and taken care of. Let's focus our energy, efforts and thoughts on building support for supplies so that we can get them there as soon as Baja roads clear. Remember "fear is faith contaminated". I need to practice what I preach!

Godspeed!

PLEASE REPOST EVERYWHERE!!!!!

apple - 9-18-2014 at 01:01 PM

Good news, thanks!

good

captkw - 9-18-2014 at 01:22 PM

That sounds more like the folks I know and love in mex !!

Fernweh - 9-18-2014 at 01:30 PM

From facebook of:
https://www.facebook.com/hermelinda.vargas

Groups of autodefensas in colonies consisting of the threads were created by groups of citizens that have been organised. This is for looting that started in stores and supermarkets and spread a houses. All because of the safety cannot be guaranteed by the three levels of government. Dress playeras white, you are in barricadas armed with Bates baseball and machetes. Only allow public access to people known identified as neighbors...

chuckie - 9-18-2014 at 03:51 PM

Telemundo US has been covering something other than getting tourists back to air conditioning and electronics. Tonite had some great coverage of looting, fires and gangs in SJd Looked real to me....

Lee - 9-18-2014 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
9) He said he is feeling peace where ever he goes and no sense of fear

PLEASE REPOST EVERYWHERE!!!!!

There. Doesn't that feel better?

chuckie - 9-18-2014 at 05:16 PM

Where is my grain of salt?

Nancy Drew - 9-18-2014 at 09:50 PM

Another $0 dollar sale day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHe3YRXDIU

Nancy Drew - 9-19-2014 at 10:10 AM

After the looting report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-j5BQ0nv3U

cftlet - 9-19-2014 at 10:28 AM

I just read El Jefe's post about the Costco store.I think that that looting is one of the more disturbing things I have read. The Costco store was kind enough to open their doors to provide for their staff and the staff in turn starts stealing T.V. s and such. I'm not sure how that could be considered a bright spot.

cftlet - 9-19-2014 at 10:33 AM

OOPS. I just re read the post by El Jefe and it did not say the staff was ripping Costco of. My apologies to the staff.

mikeymarlin - 9-19-2014 at 10:50 AM

well, just hard to believe these videos----I truly find it VERY difficult to believe

that for all of us who spend lots of time (and money ) in the region and truly

care for some of these people and families to see this disrespect for stores

bringing the modern world to the region (certainly Costco is there to make a

profit )-------maybe I'm going to rethink my up and coming visits--

mtgoat666 - 9-19-2014 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeymarlin
well, just hard to believe these videos----I truly find it VERY difficult to believe

Don't visit the USA either - it happens here too. What country are you going to visit where looting and theft does not occur after a natural disaster? Perhaps you can teleport yourself into a fairy tale land where all people are perfect, eh? Perhaps a utopian communist ideal state where there is no income disparity and all work and live for the collective good? Just saying! People are people, no matter what country!

Anywho, I find it ridiculous when foreigners. look at the looting in cabo and then use that to disparage the local populace and imply that the locals are worse human beings than in their own neighborhood

Bruce R Leech - 9-19-2014 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Don't visit the USA either - it happens here too. What country are you going to visit where looting and theft does not occur after a natural disaster? Perhaps you can teleport yourself into a fairy tale land where all people are perfect, eh? Perhaps a utopian communist ideal state where there is no income disparity and all work and live for the collective good? Just saying! People are people, no matter what country!

Anywho, I find it ridiculous when foreigners. look at the looting in cabo and then use that to disparage the local populace and imply that the locals are worse human beings than in their own neighborhood

Japan:light:

Martyman - 9-19-2014 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:

So true Mt Goat. In the US we loot only during real chaos like when a team wins the NBA title (Detroit, LA).

Get off your high horse people!

Bruce R Leech - 9-19-2014 at 11:50 AM

Japan had no looting after the big quake and tidel wave

jakethedog - 9-19-2014 at 01:06 PM

Sound like you need to GTF outta here to Japan then> adios. Hope you enjoy your closet size home.

vandenberg - 9-19-2014 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jakethedog
Sound like you need to GTF outta here to Japan then> adios. Hope you enjoy your closet size home.

Why such silly response.
Indeed during the quake and the tsunami there was no looting.
Other places I could think of are Singapore and Saudi Arabia,

Looting there would have dire consequences, like hanging or the firing squad.

MitchMan - 9-19-2014 at 07:28 PM

I don't think that you really want to compare Mexico to Japan, Singapore and Saudi Arabia. I can think of other areas of 'behavior' currently and in the past wherein Japan and Saudi Arabia would not fare well.

As a litmus test, where would you rather live, where would you rather your children live; Mexico, Japan, or Saudi Arabia... and why? Which of those cultures do you think that you would be most accepted into and that you would most readily adapt to yourself...and why?

blackwolfmt - 9-19-2014 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Japan had no looting after the big quake and tidel wave

There was nothing left too loot!!

Jonno_aus - 9-19-2014 at 10:27 PM

Japanese are known for the manners and believe they wouldn't loot. Have heard that in cabo it was mostly from those that have moved from the mainland to baja and not the true locals. But every county has greedy people who'll steal given half a chance.
Pretty interesting to see pics of military personal standing right there as it happens.

CaboHenry - 9-19-2014 at 11:05 PM

Thank you to 'El Jefe' for that valuable new from CSL & SJDC.
God bless.