Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: SJD and Cabo San lucas looting
nobaddays
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 02:59 PM
SJD and Cabo San lucas looting

The reports I am getting are saying trucks have rammed the steel doors of Walmart, Costco, Soriana,s and City Club. I gues hungry people need 65 inch flat screens and beer! Just disgusting to see people take advantage of a terrible situation.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by nobaddays]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 03:17 PM

...or just that geographic location... 'tis the nature of The Beast. On the other hand, Saul's Tienda in Mulege is giving out food packages for the needy.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 04:02 PM

I cannot comment from personal knowledge on who is doing what or why BUT I can offer a possible explaination - Those stores also have food/beverages and people are hungry and dehydrating .. sure there will be the jerks and opportunistic a**holes but I assure you our caretaker knows in the event of necessity, take whatever is in our pantry/storage etc and distribute to those in need.

I will also post here what I am sending enmasse to thousands of clients/friends that are asking ..
Hello friends, please excuse the impersonal aspect of a mass email, but please also understand I've been overwhelmed by the volume of emails and phone calls from guests, friends, and even people just asking me for help with their family/friends were visiting Cabo when the storm hit. I am grateful to give whatever assistance I can, as well as whatever modicum of comfort my answers and information provide.

All of you by now know that Cabo San Lucas was hit by Hurricane Odile.

As of today, Weds Sept 17th, damage assessments are still underway. Cleanup is as well. I dont have information that I can pass on, from official sources, saying what is recommended for guests scheduled to visit within the next 30 days.

We are extremely thankful no lives were lost. As we understand it, one small boat sank. Cel towers are down. Areawide electricity has been on/off while repairs are made to downed/hot power lines.

Mxn military planes began visitor evacuations Tuesday morning. The airport runway is usable, tower and terminals require repairs. The only commercial flights allowed in bring supplies.

Many properties are actually ok, with the expected cleanup of debris. Some properties sustained extensive damage - especially the ones that built 'on the cheap' installing glass that could not withstand the force of winds, often referenced as "American Building Codes"

As you may know, Mexican culture dictates taking care of your fellow man/woman and so our extended family are busy taking care of each other, and, the tourists who are not accustomed to such ways.

My hope and prayers are that everyone learns lessons that, God in His infinite wisdom has seen fit to impose upon us all, at this time.

For those asking, credit vouchers will be issued per published policy:

http://www.cabomagic.com/policy-refunds-cancellations/

Anyone demanding a refund, we respectfully ask you to re-consider - knowing what our people have gone thru. Those funds can help them survive until Cabo is able to welcome guests.

Prayers definitely appreciated. Thank you, on behalf of all everyone associated with Cabo Magic, Tommy & Lori Garcia

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 06:14 PM

Well said, Tommy!

However...

Looting has been within our culture for numerous years. Take the USA, where looting has been a way of life for many people who take advantage of some ludicrous situations to have a looting spree.

I may be wrong, but I feel that the Mexican culture has been a very honorable culture in years past, and this time was the first ever opportunity that some less than honorable people took advantage of the situation, and others merely followed in their footsteps.

Still not an excuse, however!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 06:43 PM

Being reported on today's news in Southern California - A person speaking by phone lives in Cabo San Lucas. He reports no police presence and limited military presence. States he has driven from CSL to San Jose and witnessed wide spread looting.

No water service and lack of food and drinking water is making things difficult.

Not taking just food and water, stealing everything they can carry.

Unfortunate for everyone, store owners must be terribly disappointed.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 06:58 PM

Here is a first hand report from a friend in Zacatitos

Hi everyone, quick update...
I made it to town on the paved road yesterday, wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be...I cannot even begin to explain to you what San Jose looks like now...Honestly, ever business on the Carretera is completely demolished and looters have taken everything and are freely walking around town with shopping carts full of brand new stuff...Everything, one guy had a cart full of brand new toys...It is beyond awful. Every power pole and power lines are down and block most roads.. It will be awhile before power is restored thats for sure...There is no food (no grocery stores)..Either the windows blew out like Mega or trucks rammed the steel doors like Walmart, Costco, Soriana and City Club...Every single store. Every pharmacy and clinic was Closed yesterday... ? I don't know where all of the sick and injured are..I'm guessing the new IMSS hospitals..The old one in San Jose looked closed to me and no one was there..
We are cleaning, mopping out and drying up homes as best we can. We hope to have some labor help starting tomorrow. Some of our workers who live in the colonias completely lost their homes...we are so sad for them..There are many, many homeless..All of those carton houses in the arroyo in Santa Rosa are gone, it is so awful..
The President of Mexico was here yesterday and spoke in Playita and evaluated the damage and is bringing in big Generators and help from the mainland...We are sure going to need it..We hear the gas stations have gas now that they've got generators..We don't know road conditions but since the storm marched straight up the peninsula, there could be a lot of damage which will keep us from getting supplies.
We hear the airport is closed until the 23rd. Yesterday I did see 1 Interjet flight and military planes. We hear the military is flying out all of the tourists to either Mazatlan or TJ...You all may know this and more than I do since we have limited internet and no cel service.. Our main priority right now is drying everything out and making sure homes are secure. I very much worry about possible looting out here since there is nothing left in town anymore...I saw a very suspicious vehicle yesterday, empty black truck with 4 guys in it who couldn't tell me who they were going to see...Most every home has palapa damage, landscaping took it the worst, broken windows, glass and debris in the pools. Solar panels all over the place...this can all be repaired but it will take time since we don't know when we will get materials, every business is pretty much gone and town must be rebuilt...and everyone is out of work..The storm was horrible but the after math will be worse...
I can't give everyone detailed description of their damages (we are taking photos for insurance purposes for our clients) but have been giving neighbors a quick idea of what I've seen at their homes.
All I can say is we are doing the best we can with what we have and will continue to put one foot in front of the other to get all our clients homes back up and running...Every thing will be fine but it is going to take time. In the mean time we are waiting for the next storm....
We do NOT need any more rain or wind...
I will be in touch again when I can..
Our internet is getting worse rather than better so now we must go to a neighbors to get signal...

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 08:11 PM

Having lived many years in cities and some time in small towns, my two cents is that small communities have the benefit of knowing most of the residents and can either help each other or apply peer pressure to keep many of the knuckleheads in line.

If a city is big enough to have a Walmart and Cosco, there's no peer pressure because everyone's anonymous. Also, there's always the 1 to 5 percent of idiots anywhere and a city's 1 to 5% equates to allot more knuckleheads than a small population area.

When people need the basic necessities to live, an impersonal big box store may seem like a food bank free for all.

I up north and dry but I feel really bad for you guys scraping the mud off everything you touch and I wish you the best. Small words for your huge problems but I feel your pain.
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 08:34 PM

Here is a scene from City Club take Sept 17th, must be having a $0 dollar sale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HxCerwnG10
slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:06 PM

What a shame. Scenes like this will surely not help their plight. People seeking the necessitys is understandable but TV'S and refrigerators no way!
fishmugger

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 06:53 AM

What do they tell there priest in confession?
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Drew
Here is a scene from City Club take Sept 17th, must be having a $0 dollar sale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HxCerwnG10

Wow! That is outrageous.

Steve
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 09:22 AM

I have friends that work on the Pez Gato catamarans in San Lucas. They say the city is like a warzone! Praying for friends and family at the tip...
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishmugger

Aye, there's the rub! They only have to confess, and they're ABSOLVED don'tchaknow!

".... I feel that the Mexican culture has been a very honorable culture in years past, and this time was the first ever opportunity that some less than honorable people took advantage of the situation..."

That's why there are bars on windows and doors of every household in Mexico almost nationwide.

It's the nature of The Beast; happened in New Orleans, Ferguson, we could go on forever on it. Karma will deliver, but for now, it's a free-for-all until the Army gets there. The word 'SAD' just isn't sufficient. My heart goes out to each and every one in Baja; please be safe, care for each other, and the WORLD will do what we can for you.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 09:43 AM

The Mega store in San Jose was organized. Guards with machetes were allowing people in for five minutes to gather what food and supplies they needed. "No electronicas!" As they left the store employees were collecting things that were not essentials.

Kind of reminded me of the old TV show, Supermarked Sweep. "Cinco minutos!"

Odile has been an Ordeal. Let's hope Polo doesn't put its Marco on Cabo.

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by El Jefe]

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Quote:
Originally posted by fishmugger

Aye, there's the rub! They only have to confess, and they're ABSOLVED don'tchaknow!

".... I feel that the Mexican culture has been a very honorable culture in years past, and this time was the first ever opportunity that some less than honorable people took advantage of the situation..."

That's why there are bars on windows and doors of every household in Mexico almost nationwide.

It's the nature of The Beast; happened in New Orleans, Ferguson, we could go on forever on it. Karma will deliver, but for now, it's a free-for-all until the Army gets there. The word 'SAD' just isn't sufficient. My heart goes out to each and every one in Baja; please be safe, care for each other, and the WORLD will do what we can for you.

perhaps the looters have a much different reality than the people here passing judgement on them.
perhaps us priviliged middle class people with economic opportunity, stable finances, pensions, retirement, insurance, and leisure time to vacation in baja, dont know what it's like to live in poverty with little economic opportunity, and live in a tin shack and watch your shack blow away in a hurricane.
the polite rules of civil society may not translate well to the slums...

anyhow, it's not a cultural thing. looting or theft happens in all cultures in times of chaos.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
The Mega store in San Jose was organized. Guards with machetes were allowing people in for five minutes to gather what food and supplies they needed. "No electronicas!" As they left the store employees were collecting things that were not essentials.

....I couldn't think it right for stores to remain well-stocked while people are in need as they are.....it sounds like the Mega in SJ had the balance right.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
perhaps the looters have a much different reality than the people here passing judgement on them.
perhaps us priviliged middle class people with economic opportunity, stable finances, pensions, retirement, insurance, and leisure time to vacation in baja, dont know what it's like to live in poverty with little economic opportunity, and live in a tin shack and watch your shack blow away in a hurricane.
the polite rules of civil society may not translate well to the slums...

anyhow, it's not a cultural thing. looting or theft happens in all cultures in times of chaos.

Thank you for writing that.

Those passing judgment here don't know.
EdwardTeach

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 10:59 AM

Most (if not all) cities are three missed meals away from total anarchy.

Some years ago there was a boil water advisory in Vancouver BC and it only took a day for fist fights to break out in the local Costcos over bottled water. Some individuals thought they were going to grab their entire stock and were trying to wheel whole pallets to the checkout, while denying any to those (including many elderly people) who were just looking for a couple of bottles. Truly disgusting behavior. Note that the water was still flowing, but it was turbid due to heavy rains so it was recommended that it be boiled first. A somewhat minor inconvenience.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 11:03 AM
food,water and life

Myself,, have found that DOGS are more civil than homo sapeins
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EdwardTeach
Most (if not all) cities are three missed meals away from total anarchy.

...ain't that the truth.

...it's all easy to get high-horsed and political until the chips are down:yes::O:(
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.