BajaNomad

Loreto airplane wreck diving info

JESSE - 10-17-2014 at 12:20 AM

Me and a few friends went diving in Loreto a few days ago, and the divemaster there took us to a dive site south of town, and old airplane, twin engines, old, seems like a DC3 or something from the 50´s.

Does anybody know anything about this airplane? theres nothing about this crash online.

larryC - 10-17-2014 at 08:22 AM

Jesse
Not sure if it might be the same wreck but in the early '70's I remember talk of a wrecked airplane down near Juncalito, somewhere in the bay there around the small island. Were you that far south of town? I used to camp there at the south end of the beach and dove around there quite a bit back then but never was able to find the wreck.
Larry

bajaguy - 10-17-2014 at 08:34 AM

Any numbers or writing/graphics on the aircraft???

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Me and a few friends went diving in Loreto a few days ago, and the divemaster there took us to a dive site south of town, and old airplane, twin engines, old, seems like a DC3 or something from the 50´s.

Does anybody know anything about this airplane? theres nothing about this crash online.

David K - 10-17-2014 at 09:01 AM

Hola JESSE!

This was discussed on Nomad in 2004. Jack Swords provided the best answer... and it came out of Walt Peterson's book (page 202 3rd edition)...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=2302

Here is Jack's post:

posted on 2-3-2004 at 06:54 PM Report Post to Administrator
Plane wreckage at Juncalito

The information is indeed in Peterson's Adventure Book. This information is from the book: The "story" is that about 1951 an American man and his wife flew 2 "B-24 Bombers" carrying tomatos to La Paz, but turned back in a rare fog. The woman's plane ran out of fuel and she crashed...tomato crates washed ashore for weeks.

The wreckage is a twin engine in 22 ft of water on a cobble slope 75 yards from Isla Chuenque. Over the wreck the island will bear 342º. Lots of parts, engines, etc. are supposedly scattered over the area. Peterson speculates it is a DC-3. I have dived all around this island, but encountered no plane (but wasn't looking either) Let us know if you find it. Jack Swords

[Edited on 10-17-2014 by David K]

stiladam - 10-17-2014 at 09:45 AM

Found this from a page of the Mexico boating guide!

http://books.google.com/books?id=NweItiqRAykC&pg=PA116&a...

JESSE - 10-17-2014 at 10:14 AM

I found the info, its incredible, photos, history, names, aircraft type, etc etc and so interesting!!!!!

Will post it later for all to see

[Edited on 10-17-2014 by JESSE]

Loretana - 10-17-2014 at 10:38 AM

JESSE......
Seeing a post from you again is such a pleasure!

You have been missed. :D