BajaNomad

Fishing License BOLA

briantroy - 11-6-2014 at 05:58 AM

Does anyone know where I can get a fishing license later this month in BOLA?

woody with a view - 11-6-2014 at 08:00 AM

I don't think they're available in town, but I'm not certain. get them at Squidco or Fisherman's Landing in SD before you go. There is the tourist info place in San Quintin but who knows their hours and if they actually have them.

briantroy - 11-6-2014 at 10:49 AM

I heard on a recent post that if you buy local, the money supports the locals. I can always stop along the way if anyone knows a place. I will be heading south from SD on Nov 26 and crossing into TJ about 0500. The immigration office is open 24 hours, right?

woody with a view - 11-6-2014 at 10:55 AM

the problem is there aren't many locals selling them. there is a tourist info place near the Driscoll's strawberry packaging plant (I think that's where) on the west side of the hiway that supposedly sells them.

I'd play safe and have them prior.

edit: you could always try the marina in Ensenada where the sportboats go out of, but again, you might be chasing a ghost.

[Edited on 11-6-2014 by woody with a view]

briantroy - 11-6-2014 at 11:00 AM

Cool. Thanks, Woody. Any chance of getting them online? I am way up in Vista and that would be a trek. Also, can I buy on for my dad without him being there or vice versa?

larryC - 11-6-2014 at 11:20 AM

You used to be able to buy the licenses on line. May you still can, I found this site:
http://www2.ebajacalifornia.gob.mx/Pesca/

Bob53 - 11-6-2014 at 11:25 AM

You can buy them online through Discover Baja.
http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/fishing-licenses/

Bob53 - 11-6-2014 at 11:26 AM

Also, if you're just fishing from shore, a license is not required.

briantroy - 11-6-2014 at 11:34 AM

Thanks!

24baja - 11-6-2014 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
You used to be able to buy the licenses on line. May you still can, I found this site:
http://www2.ebajacalifornia.gob.mx/Pesca/

We have not gotten this site to work for over a year.

msteve1014 - 11-6-2014 at 02:54 PM

http://apps.bcs.gob.mx/finanzas/finaweb/fonmar/

This should be the newer link to BCS. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Way up in Vista? come on, what about the rest of the world?:)

Martyman - 11-6-2014 at 03:42 PM

The place to get them in Ensenada and San Quintin are the tourist information offices. Woody's right about the west side of the hwy in San Quintin.
In Ensenada it is on that same street that Anthony's is on (everybody knows where that is!)past the fish market and down about 1/2 mile on the left if you are going south. They are open business hours and weekends.

Oggie - 11-6-2014 at 04:51 PM

Hugh at Pacific Bait & Tackle in Oceanside sells them.

willardguy - 11-6-2014 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
The place to get them in Ensenada and San Quintin are the tourist information offices. Woody's right about the west side of the hwy in San Quintin.
In Ensenada it is on that same street that Anthony's is on (everybody knows where that is!)past the fish market and down about 1/2 mile on the left if you are going south. They are open business hours and weekends.

or just a block south of the riviera across from the cruise ship terminal, open at 8AM. big sign, tourist info-fishing license.

woody with a view - 11-6-2014 at 05:33 PM

right across from the movie theater? I think I remember that place?

edit: where would you park? it just seems easier to get it beforehand.

[Edited on 11-7-2014 by woody with a view]

Bob53 - 11-6-2014 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
where would you park? it just seems easier to get it beforehand.

I'm with you. I don't like stopping unless it's for beer or food. lol

briantroy - 11-6-2014 at 09:35 PM

I guess my original intention has been lost. I was under the impression that buying local was better. If I buy from a tourist spot or from the the USA, I am certain it doesn't support locals (if that is even true to start with). Thanks for the input!

24baja - 11-6-2014 at 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by briantroy
I guess my original intention has been lost. I was under the impression that buying local was better. If I buy from a tourist spot or from the the USA, I am certain it doesn't support locals (if that is even true to start with). Thanks for the input!

What we were told is that the people in BOLA who have the licenses (business owners) have to buy them up front and then they sell them to tourists, if they dont sell all of the licenses they purchased they eat the cost. So they may only buy a few to sell and when they are gone they are gone. Best solution is to buy one on your way through a bigger city or from Squidco as was stated earlier. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

briantroy - 11-7-2014 at 12:07 AM

Thanks. I have heard the cost of vending a fishing licence here in CA is so high, that you would have to sell 800 a year to break even. I will just get one before I leave.

briantroy - 11-7-2014 at 01:01 AM

Any help is appreciated.

[Edited on 11-7-2014 by briantroy]

Martyman - 11-7-2014 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

There is a parking lot behind the tourist info place.

Bob53 - 11-7-2014 at 02:02 PM

I was just told last night that Lucy at Guillermo's in BOLA sells them.

larryC - 11-7-2014 at 02:09 PM

They/she sells when they have them which is not all the time. Guillermo told me if I get checked to just tell them that there are none available in town and I should be OK. Yeah right.

Bob53 - 11-7-2014 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
They/she sells when they have them which is not all the time. Guillermo told me if I get checked to just tell them that there are none available in town and I should be OK. Yeah right.

lol. This is why I always buy one beforehand.

Pacifico - 11-8-2014 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

There is a parking lot behind the tourist info place.

I went into the tourist office recently and the guy who was there told me that they were no longer going to sell them. He directed me to a 2 story building across from the military base...which we couldn't find, so we moved on.

Forget about the buying local deal.... Just buy one before hand in order to keep your ducks in a row. Kind gesture, but so many localities don't have them.

gorv - 11-9-2014 at 11:52 AM

We bought about a month ago thru the BCS website mentioned earlier in this thread. Got the proof of payment ok but fishing license did not appear for printing…maybe because we had cookie blocks up. No worry though because one email to the office and we had it sorted out that morning. The fellow we contacted speaks very good english.

Marc - 11-11-2014 at 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53
You can buy them online through Discover Baja.
http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/fishing-licenses/

That's where I get it. Also for friends for a few bucks more.