BajaNomad

Tin Boats (inshore fishing) in Baja

Russ - 11-28-2014 at 03:07 PM

Show us your down sized boats and what gear you fish with now.
I just had a friend ask if he was crazy for buying a 14' Klamath. Absolutely! A few of us have gone light after lousy gas burning years chasing dwindling fish stocks. I've gone to a 14' Duroboat with a Honda 15.

[Edited on 11-28-2014 by Russ]

msteve1014 - 11-28-2014 at 03:27 PM

We have a 12 foot duroboat, and love it. When my internet gets better tonight I will post fotos.

rts551 - 11-28-2014 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Show us your down sized boats and what gear you fish with now.
I just had a friend ask if he was crazy for buying a 14' Klamath. Absolutely! A few of us have gone light after lousy gas burning years chasing dwindling fish stocks. I've gone to a 14' Duroboat with a Honda 15.

does that mean absolutely crazy? Guess I am crazy too - Gregor Baja Special...good enough for beach launching on the Pacific when the surf is down.

Bob53 - 11-28-2014 at 03:56 PM

1982 12 ft. Valco with 2008 15 HP Yamaha 2 stroke outboard.

Russ - 11-28-2014 at 03:57 PM

Here's Mike & Meany in Steve's new 12' Valco

Some of my downsized gear. Mostly what I use for shore fishing.

woody with a view - 11-28-2014 at 05:01 PM

12' Valco 25 hp Mariner beach launcher!

[Edited on 11-29-2014 by woody with a view]

woody

captkw - 11-28-2014 at 06:24 PM

btw,,thats a good motor (mercury) it has crome moly rings and liners....run it heavy on the 50/1 side..I see a beer can but NO boat ?????:lol:

[Edited on 11-29-2014 by captkw]

monoloco - 11-29-2014 at 08:47 AM

My 14' Klamath with a 15 HP Honda has held up to 14 years of beach launching through Pacific surf. Before I had it I managed to destroy a Zodiac, a (not so) Duraboat, and an Achilles RIB.

[Edited on 11-29-2014 by monoloco]

Skipjack Joe - 11-29-2014 at 09:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

Yep, good fishermen don't have pretty boats.

MitchMan - 11-29-2014 at 11:47 AM

OK, here's the deal. I got a 13 ft Gregor with a 10hp 4 stroke Honda in hopes that I could beach launch and retrieve by myself. I'm in La Paz. NO problem launching alone from the La Paz marina, but there are no fish within a 15 mile radius. The fish are out of Los Muertos, La Ventana and that's 40 miles one way and there are no launch ramps with docks and the wind, current, and waves do not allow for launching by oneself, period. Tried it several times, and each time I almost killed myself. NO problem with two people, though.

Secondly, the waves, wind, and current out of Los Muertos do not make fishing out of that rig very practical. If you have more than 8 inch waves, you can't really fish effectively, surely can't stand up let alone try to launch or retrieve the rig.

So, after looking at the photos in this thread, I can see that the places in those photos have virtually no wind, no current at the shore, and absolutely no waves. The shore looks like lake shore.

So, here's the question...WHERE ARE THOSE PLACES THAT HAVE FISH TO CATCH WITH NO WAVES, NO CURRENT, AND NO WIND?

Also, any places like that near La Paz? You know, no wind, no waves, no current and yet have fish.

woody with a view - 11-29-2014 at 12:17 PM

Mitch, those places pictured gets ugly wind at times. waves big enough to sink the Eric sportfisher. luckily, those events don't coincide with prime fishing season!!

RnR - 11-29-2014 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
The fish are out of Los Muertos, La Ventana ...

So, after looking at the photos in this thread, I can see that the places in those photos have virtually no wind, no current at the shore, and absolutely no waves. The shore looks like lake shore.

So, here's the question...WHERE ARE THOSE PLACES THAT HAVE FISH TO CATCH WITH NO WAVES, NO CURRENT, AND NO WIND?

Also, any places like that near La Paz? You know, no wind, no waves, no current and yet have fish.

La Ventana and Muertos. On a no wind day!

I have a 14 ft Klamath with a 15 hp engine. I launch it at La Ventana's campground ramp (concrete) by myself all the time. Just choose the right time. The bay is like a huge lake a good proportion of the time.

October - pick your day, 20+ days/month.
November - 10-15 days in the morning.
Dec - Mar - most any morning, be back in before 10 am.
Apr - June - most any morning, be back in before noon as a southeast wind usually comes up in the afternoon.

People fish practically every day. From boats, kayaks, Hobies, and paddleboards. Even in the Dec -Mar north wind season. The common thread here is launch around dawn and be back before noon.

We fish from Las Cruces/Punta Gorda, throughout the south bay, and along the reefs over to Punta Arena. And, Cerralvo is not a problem in Oct or May. Just head back whenever the southeast wind begins and stay in front of it. You need to get back to the ramp before the waves do.

The photo was taken on a beach on Isla Cerralvo in April. La Ventana is across the bay in the background. Like a lake .....

On edit - not sure why the photo is not showing? I posted it just like I always have. And it is resized to fit..... Only 42 kB.

[Edited on 11-29-2014 by RnR]

[Edited on 12-16-2014 by RnR]

Russ - 11-29-2014 at 12:54 PM

Most of the calm waters are, of course, in the SOC but there are many coves and lagoons on the Pacific that are doable too. North winds in Punta Chivato (Shell Beach side) make it easy to launch because the wind flattens the shore swell. However once you get out side or around the corner you get the full force of what ever wind there is. There are enough calm mornings to get some fishing in though.

MitchMan - 11-29-2014 at 12:54 PM

Many, many thanks. Valuable stuff.

msteve1014 - 11-29-2014 at 01:43 PM

We launch in to a lagoon, but mostly fish in the open pacific. You just have to pick your days and know when to come back early.

[Edited on 11-29-2014 by msteve1014]

basautter - 11-29-2014 at 05:23 PM

I have a 15 ft deep V aluminum with a 2-stroke Tohatsu outboard. It's light enough for a beach launch (ok, it takes a couple of guys), and cruises at almost 30 mph loaded. Works great for me!

Meany - 11-30-2014 at 08:21 AM

Great shots..... The Tin fleet is a float.:bounce:

Bob53 - 12-11-2014 at 07:53 PM

Tioloco - 12-11-2014 at 08:01 PM

Those do look like a lot of fun. Plus or minus, how rough can the conditions get and still be doable?

RUSS

captkw - 12-11-2014 at 08:41 PM

Hola,,ya might want to install a "Stingray Jinior" and move the seat forward as much as that tiller ext.will permit !! then take WOT prop reading and drop the pitch down two (2) inches...makes a beer can do its best !!!!:light: K&T...P S..looking back at your pics # 5 & 7 are a NO NO !! no loose hooks on deck at any time...someone ,,sometime will get snagged (hooked) take it from a real boat guy..one second in a boat with a "open" hook can really mess up a trip !!!

[Edited on 12-12-2014 by captkw]

woody with a view - 12-11-2014 at 08:50 PM

notice the water conditions? that is rough! anything more and the people didn't come back!:lol:

Russ - 12-12-2014 at 08:03 AM

Fair weather fishing is the rule. As per RnR's post above the earlier you get out the more time you'll have fishing in good conditions. With boats 14' and under there is seldom shade so take a big hat, sun screen and cold drinks.

Cliffy - 12-12-2014 at 10:15 AM

Used to use a 15' Westcoaster (clipper bow) with a 20 hp Johnson (too much motor for the boat). Did a great job. Got caught (put myself in harms way) by being 15 miles to sea north of Smith Island in BOLA when the wind came up. 8' cresting swells for miles until I got on the lee side of the island. Scared the beejesus out of me. Never did that again you can bet on it.

woody with a view - 12-12-2014 at 10:46 AM

:lol:

I bet!

Barry A. - 12-12-2014 at 10:53 AM

For 30 years + (1975 to 2007), me and a small group of friends & relatives, mostly each with our own 'tin-boats' or Avon/Zodiac inflatables, beach-camped and fished out of BOLA, Gonzaga, Animas bays, and Punta Chivato in all kinds of weather and never had any serious problems other than getting REALLY wet sometimes and having great rough-water adventures. The first 10 years I used a 12' FURY with a 10 hp Johnson and extra high gunnels until I finally broke it's back hitting a huge wave north of Smith Island going too fast, and then graduated to a 14' Gregor with a 15 hp Johnson. By keeping the boat lightly loaded, and with never more than 2 of us per boat, we covered a lot of coastal waters, both north and south of those 3 bays and Chivato, and fought a lot of rough seas. All of us carried our boats on top of or inside our rigs after learning that boat-trailers just fell apart in Baja, so we could really handle some bad roads with no damage to the boats. Using the THE BAJA CATCH book as our 'bible', we sure had a lot of great fishing and fun-times!!!! I have always sworn by 'tin-boats' as the best and most hassle-free way to fish coastal Baja, at least on the SOC side. 12 gallons of fuel with a 15hp motor enables you to cover a lot of territory each day.

Barry

Tioloco - 12-12-2014 at 08:50 PM

Barry,
If you were to go get one now (boat) what size and motor would you go for? 15-16' too big for car topper?

Barry A. - 12-12-2014 at 09:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Barry,
If you were to go get one now (boat) what size and motor would you go for? 15-16' too big for car topper?

I found that the 14' Gregor/Valco, (etc) was about the maximum I wanted to man-handle by myself, and also about max. for my boat-rack on my CALLEN steel camper. My son and I still each own our Gregor 14's, but don't go to Baja anymore for a variety of reasons, mostly me being "old". I actually could load and unload the 14 by myself, but it was a struggle that I did not want to do often. The 15 hp 2-stroke Johnson was adequate, and pretty light to hand-carry over the beach, so I would stick with that motor, also. Most of the time I was alone in my boat, with other fisherfolks alone in their boats with me----------we sometimes had 3 or 5 boats teamed up tearing all over the SOC together chasing fish, and just exploring islands and the coast.

I drooled over the Gregor "Baja/Alaska special" which is about 15 feet long, I think, but decided it was just too big & heavy for me to handle in the over-the-beach launches & retrievables we did. It IS a beautiful boat, however. I also own a Boston Whaler, but never took it to Baja for obvious reasons-----way too big and heavy. As Gene Kira said in his "THE BAJA CATCH" you have to think-small when beach-camping along the SOC for the most fun. I think he is right.

Barry

rts551 - 12-12-2014 at 09:30 PM

Barry, My baja Special/35hp johnson side console is easy on the gulf or estero for one person.. Launching into the pacific is a two person job

Skipjack Joe - 12-12-2014 at 11:34 PM

A 14' Gregor these days weighs over 200 lbs. That's very difficult for a single person to launch. You would have to remove everything from the boat and drag it backwards to near the water and load boat back up. Same thing coming out. This is not something you want to do every day.

Your choices are:
1. Launch in a very protected area (San Lucas Cove), leave it in water for the entire trip, and time your fishing with the tides
2. Have additional people to help you launch.
3. Have support wheels or other aids to roll boat to water's edge.

Cartopping a 15' boat? No way.

Barry A. - 12-12-2014 at 11:43 PM

Igor--------

I do have the "training wheels" on my boat, made by EIDE------I forgot to mention that. They do really help.

We kept out boats in the water, with sorta complicated long nylon lines & pulleys and anchors that held it off shore, even in chabascos. Since we normally were camped out in the same place for a week at a time, this worked for us.

Barry

Santiago - 12-13-2014 at 07:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

We kept out boats in the water, with sorta complicated long nylon lines & pulleys and anchors that held it off shore, even in chabascos.

Barry

Barry: If you can remember (not all that easy anymore, is it?;D), please describe or diagram how this works.
Thanks

Skipjack Joe - 12-13-2014 at 02:20 PM

I would be interested as well Barry. A diagram would be really helpful. I didn't understand your last descrption.

Take a picture with iPhone saving as under 250mb and then post it.

Bob53 - 12-13-2014 at 02:40 PM

I have seen this done by local fishermen years ago but for the life of me I can't remember how it was rigged.

Santiago - 12-13-2014 at 03:30 PM

[img][/img]
About 10 years ago we did this on a full moon night at Cala San Fancisquito; we were told the tide would go way, way out. We ran rope #1 thru a buoy that would be in water at low tide and tied to the bow. Then we went to shore and tied #2 to the bow. you pull the end of #1 and it will pull the boat toward the buoy, making sure you have the end of #2 on shore. When the boat is where you want it, tie #1 to a shore anchor as well as #2, leaving plenty of slack in #2 so the boat can swing. In the morning, untie #1 and pull the boat in with #2.

Russ - 12-13-2014 at 03:36 PM

This is how mine kinda looked.

The hassle was seaweed, wrapped line and a pain for the beach walkers. If you need the rope I have a large container of it in good shape. Can't remember how long but at least 200ft of 1/2"

Barry A. - 12-13-2014 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

We kept our boats in the water, with sorta complicated long white soft-nylon lines & pulleys and anchors that held it off shore, even in chabascos.

Barry

Barry: If you can remember (not all that easy anymore, is it?;D), please describe or diagram how this works.
Thanks

Well, I "remember" it clearly (I am a wanna-be engineer, you know) and it is really simple, but may be hard to describe.

Remember that we are going to be camped on the beach for at least a week.

Main supplies are about 300 to 500 + feet of 3/8 or 1/2 inch white soft-nylon rope. (I got my 3/8" soft-nylon line at a garage-sale on a 1000 foot spool)-------1 pretty hefty galvanized steel pulley-----------1 small buoy-------a 6' x 6' really heavy duty nylon or polypropylene piece of netting or webbing------ some stainless steel "quick connects"---------and a 3' steel post.

Preferably at low tide, or using the boats if not, we hauled out to sea some pretty heavy rocks about 200 feet out from the high tide line on shore and put them in the 6' X 6' nylon netting, tying off the netting around the just-procured rocks with nylon rope, thus making a secure heavy semi-perm anchor (if we could not find one already out there). We also securely tied off the pulley to the heavy nylon netting-anchor that was around the loose rocks. We also attached one end of a 25' section of light line to the netting, and the other end to the small buoy. We then ran a long section of nylon rope equal to a little more than twice the distance from and makeshift-anchor that we just built to the high-tide mark on shore, and pounded in our secure steel stake into the sand on shore (or between the shore rocks) and attached one end of the long 400' + nylon rope line to the stake. We ran the other end of the long-line thru the pulley at the makeshift anchor and then to the buoy, attaching it to the buoy with a quick-disconnect, and reeled in the extra line to a pile on shore. That part of the project was then done, and we did this for each boat, keeping the boats at least 50' to 100' apart when tied into each of the makeshift anchor systems.

When we came back from fishing, we approached the buoy and picked up the end of the long-line that was quick-connected to the buoy and attached that line to our bow-ring with the quick-connect and motored backwards almost into shore taking care not to foul the long line with our prop. (the small line between the buoy and the anchor-net held the buoy from floating away). As we backed into shore, the long line fed thru the pulley on the anchor-net permanent anchor. Snubbing off the slack in the long-line when we were close to shore kept us from pounding into the shore backwards from any waves. We then stepped out of the boat with the boat's anchor in hand, and we carried that boat-anchor up on the shore and dug it into the sand. This boat anchor line had about 100 feet of line attached, and was tied off to the stern ring on the boat with a quick-connect. While loading and unloading the boat, we kept both the stern line and the bow long-line thru the pulley snugged off to the steel stake, thus holding the boat in place so it could be accessed by wading and also keeping the bow headed into any waves and prevented the boat from bashing into the close-shore bottom. When we were ready to put the boats to bed, we untied the snubbed stern line from the steel stake, but left the boat-anchor buried in the shore sand or rocks. We then hauled on the long-line (attached to the bow and thru the pulley) which pulled the boat bow-first out thru the waves, to just beyond the waves and snugged the long-line to the steel stake when the stern line became taut. (the 100' stern line was still attached to the boat-anchor buried in sand at the high tide mark). This was accomplished by pulling the boat about 100 feet off shore, which left about 100 feet + of long-line between the boat bow and the permanent anchor. This provided a "reach" between the perm. anchor and the boat which provided for, or allowed, the boat to mount the incoming waves without stressing the anchor, or having waves break into the boat------using nylon rope provided for a lot of stretch in the long-lines (like a rubber band), which served as a good shock-absorber in high winds and big waves. In over 30 years we never had one of these "systems" fail, even in the extremely high winds that often come up, and never had a boat come loose as they were tied off fore and aft, just in case.

Some of the guys with inflatables thought this "system" all too iffy, (or did not have the supplies to accomplish it) so would load and unload their boats twice daily, and man-handle their boats up on the beach above high-tide lines at night, but I thought this was a real hassle and not much fun, and sand sometimes blew into them overnite, so I liked my "system" better, as did my son, and several others. Besides, it was really neat to see our boats "out there" beyond the shore waves bobbing up and down with fish poles sticking up in their pole-holders, etc-----part of the ambiance of the whole Baja experience while sitting around the campfire sipping cool beverages and chomping on fresh-fish!!! Life is good!!! (-:

In the morning we would reverse our system and gain access to the boats without having to swim out to them. When it was just my son along with me, it definitely was the better system as man-handling a loaded Gregor over the beach was out of the question for us---and too much hassle to load and unload them every day.

Hope this makes sense. It was fun re-thinking the experience of how we tied off our mighty boats---for over 30 years.

Thanks, Sancho, for the opportunity to try and help.

Barry

[Edited on 12-14-2014 by Barry A.]

Barry A. - 12-13-2014 at 04:04 PM

I say, "yes", you "really need them to float". That period between when the boat is barely floating, and being grounded, can do a LOT of damage to the bottom of your boat, even with small alum. boats if there is ANY chop, or waves.

Barry

Russ - 12-13-2014 at 04:05 PM

Anyone remember those that used a couple of bags with volley balls? They were quite popular so I guess they worked to some extent.

Barry A. - 12-13-2014 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
I would be interested as well Barry. A diagram would be really helpful. I didn't understand your last descrption.

Take a picture with iPhone saving as under 250mb and then post it.

Wow, great diagrams by other's------wish I could make those diagrams. They sure looked like they would work, as did our system.

I only had EIDE removable "wheels" on the back of my Gregor in the last 10 years, or so, and they certainly came in handy. Prior we had to drag them over the beach, which can only be done when empty for the reasons Igor states.

My Custom designed Callen camper "shell" is 43 inches tall and extends over the cab 4 feet, and is 12 feet long, and has a custom-designed permanent steel 12' long boat rack on top, and could have accommodated a Gregor 15' Baja Special, but Igor is right that it would be very hard to load up there. I did have an EDIE custom automatic boat loader on top for the last 10 years, or so, which did make things even easier, but if you had several guys you could load and unload a 15 fairly easy-----even two guys could do it, but not one, I don't think. I would hesitate to have even a 14 foot 200 lb boat up there if it was not a steel-framed camper shell-------the Baja roads would just tear most campers apart with that much weight on top, I think.

Barry

monoloco - 12-13-2014 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Anyone remember those that used a couple of bags with volley balls? They were quite popular so I guess they worked to some extent.
That's what I have always used on rocky beaches. They work really well. I just buy some cheap kid's balls and have the tapicero sew up some bags to fit them.

wessongroup - 12-13-2014 at 05:54 PM

Thanks to all ... good stuff :):)

Skipjack Joe - 12-13-2014 at 11:18 PM

Barry

Is Russ's diagram your system as well? I can't follow the description really well. If not then how is it different.

I have seen Russ' system used in the Mediterranean. Did you ever have the problem of the rope sinking and tangling on the rocky bottom. Is this system only good over sandy/muddy bottoms.

Russ - 12-14-2014 at 06:54 AM

My system with a good anchor line will foul up on the bottom because it will sink unless it's kept very tight. With the cheaper yellow nylon that floats you may have less fouling but then other boats that cut between your buoy and the shore will get fouled. I slept much better after I gave up the loop and drug the boat in after fishing. Yep, a real pain to haul it in but you'll sleep better. Or you could buy a cheap inflatable or kayak for a tender and just anchor out where it safe. Quite a dilemma..... Good Luck!

Santiago - 12-14-2014 at 07:02 AM

Russ, we do the kayak thingy.

One of Doc's rules for enjoying your vacation: "always bring the boat in at night, you will sleep better."

Bob and Susan - 12-14-2014 at 07:13 AM

i agree with that...so we trailer the boat after each use...
its way easier to service too
the wind ALWAYS comes up at 1am when the boat is anchored

we put wheels on the wooden rails of the trailer ...
they just bolt on
best $250 we ever spent

our boat can be out of the water and still launches and loads easily

the wheels are worth more than the trailer : )

they look like this

http://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/Dutton-Lainson/DL...

wheels1.jpg - 10kB

[Edited on 12-14-2014 by Bob and Susan]

Russ - 12-14-2014 at 07:33 AM

http://bajaenterprises.com/BoatWheels.html

Barry A. - 12-14-2014 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Barry

Is Russ's diagram your system as well? I can't follow the description really well. If not then how is it different.

I have seen Russ' system used in the Mediterranean. Did you ever have the problem of the rope sinking and tangling on the rocky bottom. Is this system only good over sandy/muddy bottoms.

Igor--------Russ's system is similar, but our boat when night came was tethered both aft and forward, for safety. I am not totally sure of how Russ's system works, tho. My main fear always was that the boat would come loose and blow away in the night. That never happened in some 30 years. What is great is that we all seemed to have a "system" that worked for us. We never worried about other boats, or people, because there was seldom anybody else around back in those days (pre 2007).

Our nylon lines did sink to the bottom, but I don't recall that ever being a problem, and seaweed in the northern SOC was almost non existent, as I remember. We always camped where rocks were not that prevalent, so no tangling with rocks, either as near as I can remember.

I honestly never remember having ANY problems with our systems, at least at the 4 different places we always camped (BOLA, Gonzaga, Animas, and Punta Chivato north of the hotel). We did camp out in Conception Bay several times, always at the last bay south where other people & boats were not a problem.

Barry

Cancamo - 12-14-2014 at 11:07 AM

Been pushing my 20' Burquez panga off the East Cape beaches since '84, most of the time by myself. I use the beach balls in the fabric tubes method mentioned earlier, try to leave it on 3 tubes evenly spaced for the next day. Definitely a technique involved, and it's not getting any lighter the older I get, but very doable still. Run the boat up the beach like any panguero coming in, then pull it on the tubes empty, no worries.
The panga provides stability, space, live well, and range that my old 14' Westcoaster could not.

Bob and Susan - 12-14-2014 at 11:40 AM

beach balls in fabric? picture?

monoloco - 12-14-2014 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
Soccer balls work well too. In Alaska, I've seen 2 boat fenders or buoys tied together with a short piece of line.

Bob53 - 12-15-2014 at 11:28 AM

Soccer balls work well too. In Alaska, I've seen 2 boat fenders or buoys tied together with a short piece of line.

Ok, it's Monday and I have a mild hangover. Hopefully that's why I'm not understanding this method. Could someone explain this in detail or post a picture?

woody with a view - 12-15-2014 at 12:36 PM

wrap beach balls or bumpers in netting or fabric and VIOLA!

willardguy - 12-15-2014 at 12:45 PM

early 80's coors light party ball. made a great mooring ball when empty!

monoloco - 12-15-2014 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob53  

Ok, it's Monday and I have a mild hangover. Hopefully that's why I'm not understanding this method. Could someone explain this in detail or post a picture?
Picture a bag out of canvas or heavy nylon, in the shape of a tube, slightly larger diameter than the balls you are going to use, long enough to fit 4 balls, closed on one end with a draw string on the other end. Put the balls in the bag, close the draw string and you have a very effective boat roller. If you use boat fenders or buoys, you don't need the bag, just tie them together loosely by the built in eyes, with a piece of line, they will remain centered with the keel of the boat when you roll it on them. The draw back is that boat fenders and buoys are expensive and can get chewed up by the rocks.

monoloco - 12-15-2014 at 12:59 PM

They actually make heavy duty inflatable rollers for ships:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/inflatable-boat-roller...

This will give you an idea of the concept.

Bob53 - 12-15-2014 at 01:09 PM

Ok, Thanks!

wessongroup - 12-15-2014 at 02:38 PM

Bob53 ...

"If you need a crappy friend, I'm here for you."

sorry just noticed it ... outstanding

Bob53 - 12-15-2014 at 04:42 PM

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/beachroller/index.htm

monoloco - 12-15-2014 at 05:22 PM

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/beachroller/index.htm
Nice, but for the price I'm pretty sure you could make 3 of the soccer ball ones and have enough left over for a case of Pacifico and a few tacos.

fishmaster - 12-15-2014 at 09:59 PM

I've had a lot of restless nights in Baja worrying about my boat on a mooring:( Once I woke up and it was gone (fortunately it was stuck on the small point off Punta Chivato) and another night it ended up on the beach (another night of intense winds at Chivato)! But, after all that, I still love keeping my skiff in the water. I LOVE waking up, pulling the boat to the shore, hopping in and heading out to go fishing. Plus, when the weather is right, there is nothing like a good old fashioned "evening session"!!!
Looking forward to another trip this year...only 4 more days!!!

BajaRat - 1-29-2015 at 08:46 PM

Bob,
What kinda beach wheels you got on that rig. They look beefy.
Thanks , Lionel

Cliffy - 1-29-2015 at 09:47 PM

Once when I was young and stupid I was in Gonzaga with my 15' Westcoaster and went to Isla Smith west side half way down to look at the lagoon filling. Drove the skiff up on the beach and walked over for a few minutes 10 mins later I walked back and saw my boat 50 yds off shore and drifting away. Never ran 75 yds and swam 100 more so fast in my life. Ran out of swimming gas just as I grabbed the prop. Hung there for a few minutes to catch my breath and climbed in. Tide had come up (DUHH) and floated it free. Went to throwing an anchor out on shore from then on.

Cliffy - 1-29-2015 at 09:49 PM

OPPS sorry BOLA not Gonzaga

Barry A. - 1-29-2015 at 09:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Once when I was young and stupid I was in Gonzaga with my 15' Westcoaster and went to Isla Smith west side half way down to look at the lagoon filling. Drove the skiff up on the beach and walked over for a few minutes 10 mins later I walked back and saw my boat 50 yds off shore and drifting away. Never ran 75 yds and swam 100 more so fast in my life. Ran out of swimming gas just as I grabbed the prop. Hung there for a few minutes to catch my breath and climbed in. Tide had come up (DUHH) and floated it free. Went to throwing an anchor out on shore from then on.

Ohhhhh yeah (been there/done that) :O

Barry