Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Tin Boats (inshore fishing) in Baja
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2014 at 03:07 PM
Tin Boats (inshore fishing) in Baja

Show us your down sized boats and what gear you fish with now.
I just had a friend ask if he was crazy for buying a 14' Klamath. Absolutely! A few of us have gone light after lousy gas burning years chasing dwindling fish stocks. I've gone to a 14' Duroboat with a Honda 15.

[Edited on 11-28-2014 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2014 at 03:27 PM

We have a 12 foot duroboat, and love it. When my internet gets better tonight I will post fotos.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2014 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Show us your down sized boats and what gear you fish with now.
I just had a friend ask if he was crazy for buying a 14' Klamath. Absolutely! A few of us have gone light after lousy gas burning years chasing dwindling fish stocks. I've gone to a 14' Duroboat with a Honda 15.

does that mean absolutely crazy? Guess I am crazy too - Gregor Baja Special...good enough for beach launching on the Pacific when the surf is down.

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2014 at 03:56 PM

1982 12 ft. Valco with 2008 15 HP Yamaha 2 stroke outboard.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2014 at 03:57 PM

Here's Mike & Meany in Steve's new 12' Valco

Some of my downsized gear. Mostly what I use for shore fishing.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-28-2014 at 05:01 PM

12' Valco 25 hp Mariner beach launcher!

[Edited on 11-29-2014 by woody with a view]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-28-2014 at 06:24 PM
woody

btw,,thats a good motor (mercury) it has crome moly rings and liners....run it heavy on the 50/1 side..I see a beer can but NO boat ?????:lol:

[Edited on 11-29-2014 by captkw]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 08:47 AM

My 14' Klamath with a 15 HP Honda has held up to 14 years of beach launching through Pacific surf. Before I had it I managed to destroy a Zodiac, a (not so) Duraboat, and an Achilles RIB.

[Edited on 11-29-2014 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 09:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

Yep, good fishermen don't have pretty boats.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 11:47 AM

OK, here's the deal. I got a 13 ft Gregor with a 10hp 4 stroke Honda in hopes that I could beach launch and retrieve by myself. I'm in La Paz. NO problem launching alone from the La Paz marina, but there are no fish within a 15 mile radius. The fish are out of Los Muertos, La Ventana and that's 40 miles one way and there are no launch ramps with docks and the wind, current, and waves do not allow for launching by oneself, period. Tried it several times, and each time I almost killed myself. NO problem with two people, though.

Secondly, the waves, wind, and current out of Los Muertos do not make fishing out of that rig very practical. If you have more than 8 inch waves, you can't really fish effectively, surely can't stand up let alone try to launch or retrieve the rig.

So, after looking at the photos in this thread, I can see that the places in those photos have virtually no wind, no current at the shore, and absolutely no waves. The shore looks like lake shore.

So, here's the question...WHERE ARE THOSE PLACES THAT HAVE FISH TO CATCH WITH NO WAVES, NO CURRENT, AND NO WIND?

Also, any places like that near La Paz? You know, no wind, no waves, no current and yet have fish.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 12:17 PM

Mitch, those places pictured gets ugly wind at times. waves big enough to sink the Eric sportfisher. luckily, those events don't coincide with prime fishing season!!

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MitchMan  
The fish are out of Los Muertos, La Ventana ...

So, after looking at the photos in this thread, I can see that the places in those photos have virtually no wind, no current at the shore, and absolutely no waves. The shore looks like lake shore.

So, here's the question...WHERE ARE THOSE PLACES THAT HAVE FISH TO CATCH WITH NO WAVES, NO CURRENT, AND NO WIND?

Also, any places like that near La Paz? You know, no wind, no waves, no current and yet have fish.

La Ventana and Muertos. On a no wind day!

I have a 14 ft Klamath with a 15 hp engine. I launch it at La Ventana's campground ramp (concrete) by myself all the time. Just choose the right time. The bay is like a huge lake a good proportion of the time.

October - pick your day, 20+ days/month.
November - 10-15 days in the morning.
Dec - Mar - most any morning, be back in before 10 am.
Apr - June - most any morning, be back in before noon as a southeast wind usually comes up in the afternoon.

People fish practically every day. From boats, kayaks, Hobies, and paddleboards. Even in the Dec -Mar north wind season. The common thread here is launch around dawn and be back before noon.

We fish from Las Cruces/Punta Gorda, throughout the south bay, and along the reefs over to Punta Arena. And, Cerralvo is not a problem in Oct or May. Just head back whenever the southeast wind begins and stay in front of it. You need to get back to the ramp before the waves do.

The photo was taken on a beach on Isla Cerralvo in April. La Ventana is across the bay in the background. Like a lake .....

On edit - not sure why the photo is not showing? I posted it just like I always have. And it is resized to fit..... Only 42 kB.

[Edited on 11-29-2014 by RnR]

[Edited on 12-16-2014 by RnR]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 12:54 PM

Most of the calm waters are, of course, in the SOC but there are many coves and lagoons on the Pacific that are doable too. North winds in Punta Chivato (Shell Beach side) make it easy to launch because the wind flattens the shore swell. However once you get out side or around the corner you get the full force of what ever wind there is. There are enough calm mornings to get some fishing in though.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 12:54 PM

Many, many thanks. Valuable stuff.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 01:43 PM

We launch in to a lagoon, but mostly fish in the open pacific. You just have to pick your days and know when to come back early.

[Edited on 11-29-2014 by msteve1014]
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 05:23 PM

I have a 15 ft deep V aluminum with a 2-stroke Tohatsu outboard. It's light enough for a beach launch (ok, it takes a couple of guys), and cruises at almost 30 mph loaded. Works great for me!
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 08:21 AM

Great shots..... The Tin fleet is a float.:bounce:
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 07:53 PM

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 08:01 PM

Those do look like a lot of fun. Plus or minus, how rough can the conditions get and still be doable?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 08:41 PM
RUSS

Hola,,ya might want to install a "Stingray Jinior" and move the seat forward as much as that tiller ext.will permit !! then take WOT prop reading and drop the pitch down two (2) inches...makes a beer can do its best !!!!:light: K&T...P S..looking back at your pics # 5 & 7 are a NO NO !! no loose hooks on deck at any time...someone ,,sometime will get snagged (hooked) take it from a real boat guy..one second in a boat with a "open" hook can really mess up a trip !!!

[Edited on 12-12-2014 by captkw]
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.