BajaNomad

Immigration swept thru Pt. Chivato

Russ - 12-8-2014 at 07:28 AM

Imagration came thru here the other day and most if us were told we had to update out Visas quickly. I have the book type inmigrado visa and I have to go in and apply for the new card. Those with the original cards also have to upgrade to the new card. They want around $500usd plus if you plan to go north while they process your card they want another $100 for a letter stating they are working on the update. Anyone else getting this treatment or is this just a typical Xmas blitz to get money from the gringos again? I thought imagration was where we were suppose to go when we thought we were being miss treated:fire:
edit spell check :rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-11-2014 by Russ]

chuckie - 12-8-2014 at 07:33 AM

I may be missing something here? Is your Visa still good and in force? If it is why would you have to do anything until renewal time? if its not, they gotcha....More info please..

rts551 - 12-8-2014 at 07:44 AM

Are you saying your old FM-2 is no good? Yearly renewal would have been up anyway.

or are you saying that your permanent resident card (NO BOOK) was no good?

mtnpop - 12-8-2014 at 01:18 PM

Russ,
Sounds like you already went through the whole process that was in place and got your immigrado .. which was the last stage in the process with much expense and years of torture...
With the new immigration laws that procedure is not used anymore to get the Permante Resident...
Our local office in Sta. Rosalia is now telling you that you need to turn in your immigrado and get the permanent card... I don't know if anyone ever saw this one coming... along with the $500 more cost...
There should be somewhere you can research if this is fact... Or get in touch with Nadia (an attorney in Mulege) and see if she knows if this is the case...
We know several with Immigrado status and none have said this has happened to them...
And why would it take $500 to move from Immigrado status to permanent resident status "The same status I thought."
Good luck on this one... Might check with the consulate where the process starts now.....

Mulegena - 12-8-2014 at 03:56 PM

http://www.inm.gob.mx/

Russ - 12-8-2014 at 04:10 PM

Mulegena, Looks like the info I want regarding the "new law" has not been updated since 2013. They want me to surrender my FM-2 book with the inmigrado page for the "new" card. New to bring all new documents they required when getting inmigrado years ago. Oh Boy!

rts551 - 12-8-2014 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Mulegena, Looks like the info I want regarding the "new law" has not been updated since 2013. They want me to surrender my FM-2 book with the inmigrado page for the "new" card. New to bring all new documents they required when getting inmigrado years ago. Oh Boy!

Russ. I do not understand. If you got immigrado, your book would have been kept by Mexico City. They would have issued you a card and letter. At least that is what they were doing for years and did for us out of Santa Rosalia 15 years ago.

gnukid - 12-8-2014 at 05:34 PM

Yep you can't have a FM2 book and be inmigrado. Supposedly if you are inmigrado getting a new PR replacement card should be almost free... It can not cost the full rate.

DianaT - 12-8-2014 at 06:04 PM

As this affects a lot of people, as I read what Russ said, it sounds like they told him that if someone had the original card, they still need to pay the full rate for a new card.

gnukid, you think it should be almost free.

Has anyone replaced the old immigrado card for the new one yet?

Good luck Russ --- nobody likes these types of surprises.

rts551 - 12-8-2014 at 06:11 PM

I don't know Diana...I have never heard of a "book type" immigrado card.

I am wondering if something fell through the cracks.

DianaT - 12-8-2014 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
I don't know Diana...I have never heard of a "book type" immigrado card.

I am wondering if something fell through the cracks.

I guess I read it differently than you did. I know Russ says he still has the old book, but I thought he also mentioned the cards others have that were issued under the old immigrado status.

If those need to be replaced with the new one, how much will it cost? And as we found out in the past, the answer can be different in different offices even though they should be exactly the same. :)

BajaBlanca - 12-8-2014 at 06:16 PM

sigh .... good luck Russ.

rts551 - 12-8-2014 at 06:19 PM

I guess. but my ten years were all with Santa Rosalia as well... oh well good luck.

chuckie - 12-8-2014 at 06:27 PM

I bet it will cost whatever the guy behind the counter says it will cost. It seems, lately, the Mexico is trying to kill the Golden Goose, with fees and new regulations.

gnukid - 12-8-2014 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Yep you can't have a FM2 book and be inmigrado.
Huh? I have for years and never been questioned...

There's a special page at the end of my FM-2 book covering the inmigrado status.

Ok haven't heard of this. It's absolutely incorrect to carry an expired visa, but if that is the only proof of inmigrado then that's it. INM have clearly stated that inmigrado is = permanent resident, that you will have the opportunity for the PR card if you choose but not required. Of course all things change. But why would you have to pay the full fare, that's crazy, mexico is crazy.

Mulegena - 12-8-2014 at 07:42 PM

Sta. Rosalia office: The boss is Javier, not Enrique or Pilar.
Speak only with him.

rts551 - 12-8-2014 at 07:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulegena  
Sta. Rosalia office: The boss is Javier, not Enrique or Pilar.
Speak only with him.

I dealt with all of them and never had a problem. Always helpful...but that was many years ago.

LaTijereta - 12-9-2014 at 01:51 PM

Per IMN site...

Change of "status" should only be $1,000mp

"Imagrado" should be updated to "Permanent Resident", per the new system.. I would argue the new $3,850mp fee for card..

rts551 - 12-9-2014 at 02:29 PM

Almost afraid to call Javier and find out if we are supposed to get new cards. first I have heard of it. I assume our letter from Mexico City is still good, but then again...no assumptions in Mexico.

Pescador - 12-9-2014 at 04:40 PM

Russ, I have a good friend in Mulege and they called Jim Christopher with the embassy office and he is checking into the legality of this deal. His interpretation is that if you had inmagrado, you were done and did not need to change to Resident Permanente. This is the only office that this direction is coming from so someone needs to check with Mexico City and see if this is the real deal. It is looking very suspicious at this point.

Russ - 12-9-2014 at 05:40 PM

Thanks Jim!

immigrado to permanent resident card

akshadow - 12-9-2014 at 05:57 PM

friend of ours was told last week in Algadonas that she needed to exchange the old one for the new one and if done by April no charge. other wise it sounded expensive and unclear if would need to go through the entire cost and effort for permanent. She has not yet proceeded, so don't know what the office in San Felipe told her.

Russ - 12-11-2014 at 07:13 AM

Anyone with any resources please ask them about this. There are a few people here in Chivato that are asking some of their contacts and one lawyer, Notario 8, has responded "Not true". With the number of inmagrados and first issue perminetes here that this will effect this is a big deal.

Russ - 12-12-2014 at 08:07 AM

I want to bump this back up top because it needs some definitive answers to problems that many are going to address.

gnukid - 12-12-2014 at 08:10 AM

There is a inm hotline phone number with english speaking people in Df, let's see if anyone recalls the number?

Pescador - 12-12-2014 at 08:28 AM

Russ, I would call Jim Christopher in Mulege to see what he found out with the embassy.

Russ - 12-12-2014 at 11:45 AM

Never met Jim. Could you U2U or e-mail me his # ?

LaTijereta - 12-12-2014 at 11:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
There is a inm hotline phone number with english speaking people in Df, let's see if anyone recalls the number?

Need Help? Call the National Hotline

The INM now answers questions over the fone, with some English Speaking Personnel:
Immigration Hotline
01-800-004-6264
24 hours / day and 7 days a week.
They answer quickly and a few speak English.

update

akshadow - 12-12-2014 at 02:29 PM

friend was told by San Felipe Immigration the cost would be $1000 peso if done timely

Quote: Originally posted by akshadow  
friend of ours was told last week in Algadonas that she needed to exchange the old one for the new one and if done by April no charge. other wise it sounded expensive and unclear if would need to go through the entire cost and effort for permanent. She has not yet proceeded, so don't know what the office in San Felipe told her.

Hook - 12-12-2014 at 02:40 PM

Sounds to me like more shenanigans from the Santa Rosalia office; often documented on Nomads.

And just before Xmas........what a surprise!!!

Russ - 12-12-2014 at 04:38 PM

Hope I can explain this as I was told just moment ago.
If you are applying for a new residente perminent card you will be required to get the newer card that has a reader strip in it. And you maybe required to update if you are flying in and out. I don't know how that would work since I doubt you would be able to get updated at the airport. If you have an inmigrado visa you are not required to update but you may if you want to avoid being hassled in the future or just want to spend the money.
Source: A friend told me he spoke to an unnamed person in Mulege that spoke to an official in Mexico City.
FYI... If you are approached to update be polite and explain that you maybe coming into some funds soon and plan to update. They Have the badge and you don't want to start a battle you will loose at some point. Probably sooner rather than later. Immigration can at anytime ask you to leave the country. Welcome to Mulege

[Edited on 12-12-2014 by Russ]

rts551 - 12-12-2014 at 08:14 PM

I called Javier. He said that as long as I have the letter from Mexico City declaring me a permanent resident (immigrado) the old card is fine.

Russ - 12-13-2014 at 07:04 AM

Thanks for calling Javier. How odd that a letter be issued when the book or card are the official document. I'll look again.

vandenberg - 12-13-2014 at 07:55 AM

The official letter, that came with my FM2 permanant inmigrado stamp, I had minimized and laminated and carry it in my wallet as an ID card.

rts551 - 12-13-2014 at 09:15 AM

They told me when I got it many years ago. the letter was more important than the card since it spelled out all my rights etc. they said safeguard it since it was necessary if I needed a new card,

Hook - 12-13-2014 at 10:50 AM

I called Javier. He said that as long as I have the letter from Mexico City declaring me a permanent resident (immigrado) the old card is fine.

So, other agents in his office had a different story when they showed up for the Pta. Chivato sweep?

Russ - 12-13-2014 at 02:49 PM

Checked the file again... The letter, two actually, were right on top.
Dave & Rene spoke with Julieta and she informed them as some others that, yes, we need to upgrade to the new card and that at this point there is no penalty for not doing it right away.

rts551 - 12-13-2014 at 06:33 PM

RUSS, Julietta, the nice young lady that she is, make her money by representing you.

Javier says no. ??????

rts551 - 12-13-2014 at 06:35 PM

If they do it for free... guess it does not hurt anything... I am not going to Santa Rosalia from here for that though

rts551 - 12-14-2014 at 09:20 AM

Pain in the Burro day to go to Santa Rosalia from Abreojos.

rts551 - 12-14-2014 at 11:29 AM

Uh HUH... Thanks.

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Pain in the Burro day to go to Santa Rosalia from Abreojos.

Well, there's that! That is a haul and you want to make sure you get it all done as painlessly as possible.

I've had days where it took me two or more days to get things done.

I would see what, if and when you decide to do it, how much can be completed online now.

I know with my change of domicilio that the full application was online, I printed it out for my entire family, we turned it in with ALL of our ID's and two weeks~ later they had all our stuff for us and we were, once again, completely legal.

Suerte.