BajaNomad

New hell at the border

junkyarddog - 2-14-2015 at 08:52 AM

One thing that can be counted on in beautiful Baja is change.

Well, the new change at Tecate is a big sign that lists all the things we can't bring with us and that now includes ALL meats and dairy products. If you have a freezer full of your favorite goodies to partially sustain you during your stay, YOU ARE GOING DIRECTLY BACK TO THE USA TO DISPOSE OF THEM!

I wish my friends had taken a picture of that big sign that caused them to be turned back to dispose of those items. They gave them to a mission in Tecate, USA...lucky mission, getting about $700us worth of high quality meat and dairy products that would have sustained my friends for their lengthly stay in Baja.

Would somebody please get a picture of that sign and post it so we can see what all the new rules are?

DENNIS - 2-14-2015 at 09:07 AM

The sign may be new, but is the regulation new as well? Seems like $700 dlls is far in excess of the allowable amount of anything.

monoloco - 2-14-2015 at 09:18 AM

It's been against the rules to bring meat and dairy products for a long time. Try bringing them into the states sometime and see what happens.

carlosg - 2-14-2015 at 09:20 AM

It's NOT a new regulation, they probably just recently put the sign up and are now really enforcing the regulation; I always cross the border with chicken, cheese, bacon, ham and some other goodies in my freezer for my two week stay the rest I buy down there, I also bring across at least ten bottles of wine and have no problem... but 700 bucks worth of stuff is another matter, did these people also have a couple of cans of gasoline, canned goods, bread, and ALL they were going to consume during they're stay down in Baja? Come on ... don't be so cheap!!!

AKgringo - 2-14-2015 at 09:24 AM

What is ironic to me is that Sonoran beef, Mexican cheese, sea food and produce are things that I look forward to buying in Baja. And of course, Bimbo Buns!

Edit - I am thinking of a guy from Oregon in an RV park I stayed in. The stinky, noisy diesel generator in his home built motor home ran almost constantly to keep his stash frozen. He also brought a case of Folgers coffee with him, just to be sure he could have some!

[Edited on 2-14-2015 by AKgringo]

willardguy - 2-14-2015 at 09:29 AM

hmmmm... from the SENASICA website courtesy of bajabound.

Allowed Imports

Allowed imports may be brought in quantities for personal consumption if they are no risk of introducing a pest or disease. They are subject to inspection.

Smoking tobacco
Leather products, except for endangered species like wild lamb, jaguar, black bear, etc.
Honey
Dogs and cats (a maximum of two per traveler) with health certificates and rabies vaccine records. Visit our "Traveling with Pets in Mexico" guide for more information.
Roasted coffee, dried prunes, packaged spices, dried herbs, preserved fruits and vegetables cooked or dried mushrooms and dried truffles.
Dry cooked, packed and bottled foods
From the USA and Canada: refrigerated, frozen, vacuum packed, pork and processed vacuum packed pate, milk and cheese. All must be in the original package and properly labeled.
Regulated Imports

Regulated imports may be brought into Mexico according to their origin and manufacturing process and they have fulfilled the importation requirements.

Poultry and poultry products
Wild plants and hunt trophies
Rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, etc.
Hide
Seeds, seedlings, fresh plant parts, etc.
Plants, fresh fruit, vegetables, flowers, raw cereals, etc.
Dairy products
Bees and bees' products (except honey)
Fresh, dried, canned, smoked or frozen meat and meat products from quarantined countries
Flours like corn meal, etc.
Veterinary medications and biological products
Agricultural chemicals and raw materials
Prohibited Imports

Prohibited imports are those at risk of introducing a pest or disease into Mexico and under no circumstances can be imported.

Soil
Bales of hay, natural straw or any straw decoration
Homemade food items
Meal of bone or meat
The above information is courtesy of SENASICA.

motoged - 2-14-2015 at 09:39 AM

I do believe Baja has food stores....:light:

DENNIS - 2-14-2015 at 09:40 AM

Another item I've seen turned back by Mexico customs is firewood....sawn logs, and construction site scrap.

woody with a view - 2-14-2015 at 09:58 AM

sawn? WOW, word of the day, and so early!:lol:

motoged - 2-14-2015 at 10:03 AM

Ya, Woody....I sawed that word , too, when I readed that post... :biggrin:

[Edited on 2-14-2015 by motoged]

Bob H - 2-14-2015 at 10:16 AM

Sawn is a past participle of saw.

motoged - 2-14-2015 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob H  
Sawn is a past participle of saw.

Grade 4 grammar......we know that.....it just looks funny this early in the morning :yes:

Wood Words

MrBillM - 2-14-2015 at 10:35 AM

Saw [sic] what you will:

Lumber can be rough sawn - plain sawn - quarter sawn - rift sawn.

Pescador - 2-14-2015 at 10:44 AM

Well, that is a shame, especially since Santa Rosalia has a brand new Ley Store that is stocked with the best cuts of meat I have seen since La Paz and all the groceries one could hope for. With a new Steakhouse (Tonka's Steak House) a new Italian Restaurant (El Portobello) and the new Ley's Store, I think Civilization has finally arrived.

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2015 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by junkyarddog  

Well, the new change at Tecate is a big sign that lists all the things we can't bring with us...

...about $700us worth of high quality meat and dairy products that would have sustained my friends for their lengthly stay in Baja.

$700 is a lot of meat and cheese! Next time don't try bringing 5 coolers full of meat and cheese!

And for future reference, there is lots of good meat available in Baja, and some very good cheeses; however, the cheese varieties are more limited in Baja..

bajabuddha - 2-14-2015 at 10:57 AM

Early-on in my Baja travels, I heard an apt description of a certain kind of Baja visitor:

Crosses the border with two - twenty dollar bills, and two pairs of underwear, and no intent on changing either......

El Codo.

I wonder how much of that $700 worth of food was frozen Big Macs so they still have creature comforts?

tjsue - 2-14-2015 at 11:00 AM

So how is that going to work for all the people that live in TJ, and shop in San Diego. I used to see numerous people with full shopping carts coming from the Food4Less store on Palomar street. They would get on the trolley, get off at the border, cross it, where someone in a car would be waiting to pick them up.

All my food was bought in San Diego, and brought back with me, as does my friend that lives in Rosarito. Groceries in TJ were too expensive, for me to shop there. I compared the prices at the TJ Costco one day out of curiosity, and confirmed it. My landlord also told me that anyone that was able to cross the border, didn't shop in TJ.

Seen/Sawn "I seen California ruined by progress"

thebajarunner - 2-14-2015 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Saw [sic] what you will:

Lumber can be rough sawn - plain sawn - quarter sawn - rift sawn.

The great quote from the infamous Don Sherwood days on KSFO.
It was the title of Parky Sharky's book.
Now that should bring back memories.

vgabndo - 2-14-2015 at 11:06 AM

For years I have marked my time in Baja by the time in the visit when I have had enough tortillas, and ONLY want a ham sandwich on white bread with mayo and mustard. It has been a long time since those ingredients have not been just as readily available as a tortilla! If you like dill pickles on your sandwich, you'd better bring them with you. I doubt I'll ever have much sympathy for folks who come here fully equipped to insulate themselves from the culture.

The street food is wonderful! My current favorite is Tacos La Baja, in the empty lot just north of the central Pemex in Vizcaino. I now judge their fish tacos to be better than the ones from Tacos don Ramon in Bahia Asuncion. (which I also eat with great gusto!):biggrin:

willardguy - 2-14-2015 at 11:20 AM

geezelouise, how do you know junkyarddogs friends weren't a group of twenty?? and who cares. thanks for the heads-up and warning junkyarddog! see where it gotcha!

RnR - 2-14-2015 at 01:26 PM

A photo (or transcript) of the sign would be good information for future crossings.

Now, as to being turned back to the US....

The first thing I would have done was to try another crossing. There are three so you have two more chances to get a less interested or zealous border official.

The one time that I was turned back at San Ysidro, I immediately headed to Tecate and went across with the same items and no comments from the officials.

So it took me an extra hour. I still had all of my stuff when I arrived in La Paz.

BajaBlanca - 2-14-2015 at 01:40 PM

I totally agree with the find another crossing - we live here in Baja, only go to the States once a year for the holidays (usually) and when we shop there, we shop for items that one cannot get here in la Bocana or closeby. The total easily tops $700...we would be very bummed to be turned back!

jack - 2-14-2015 at 02:35 PM

It is a bummer if the meat import rule is being enforced. Anyone can hit the Baja for a few weeks and not miss anything from the US or Canada, but when your down there for months at a time there are many things you really begin to miss. Personally I don't know how I will survive without decent pepperoni or kielbasa sausage.

Cisco - 2-14-2015 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by junkyarddog  

Well, the new change at Tecate is a big sign that lists all the things we can't bring with us and that now includes ALL meats and dairy products. If you have a freezer full of your favorite goodies to partially sustain you during your stay, YOU ARE GOING DIRECTLY BACK TO THE USA TO DISPOSE OF THEM!

I wish my friends had taken a picture of that big sign that caused them to be turned back to dispose of those items. They gave them to a mission in Tecate, USA...lucky mission, getting about $700us worth of high quality meat and dairy products that would have sustained my friends for their lengthly stay in Baja.

Would somebody please get a picture of that sign and post it so we can see what all the new rules are?

In "the old days" yuk, yuk. The Border Patrolman would put any prohibited items in a large galvanized trash can by the booth.

At the end of his shift he would take "HIS' can with him and we would party out and B.B.Q., drink, smoke,...at home in I.B. on it.

Paulina - 2-14-2015 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
geezelouise, how do you know junkyarddogs friends weren't a group of twenty?? and who cares. thanks for the heads-up and warning junkyarddog! see where it gotcha!

What he said. To add to that, how do any of you know that they weren't taking treats for friends? Thank you for the info. Hard to find a good tri tip cut in baja, let alone kryovac of them. One of our friends, yes, local Mexican friend, is waiting anxiously for his.

P>*)))>{

monoloco - 2-14-2015 at 04:58 PM

If you bring items that are prohibited, you should expect to face the consequences. I've never had a problem finding good meat south of the border, hell, you can stop at Costco and buy all the USDA meat you want if you just can't live without that 'merican beef.

BornFisher - 2-14-2015 at 05:06 PM

I never leave home without a healthy dose of Budweiser. They gave me a little grief once, but that was it.

Paulina - 2-14-2015 at 05:06 PM

Monoloco,

Does the Costco down there carry the kryos of tri tip? I've never been in one down there, honest curiousity here.

P>;)))>{

On edit: how the heck did I give my signature fish the ole' winky eye?

[Edited on 15-2-2015 by Paulina]

willardguy - 2-14-2015 at 05:11 PM

what the hecks a "kryos" ? (I like the winky eye!)

Paulina - 2-14-2015 at 05:18 PM

It's a sealed plastic bag full of tri tip meat, in this case. They cost about $80 a bag.

P:biggrin:)))>{

On edit: this fish face thing is freaking me out.

[Edited on 15-2-2015 by Paulina]

bajaric - 2-14-2015 at 06:25 PM

health reasons

Where's the BEEF ?

MrBillM - 2-14-2015 at 09:18 PM

During my Baja-Living years, I bought at numerous Supermarkets in Mexicali and never saw a decent Rib-Eye. Which, besides the occasional New York, T-Bone/Porterhouse or (rarely) Filet Mignon, is the steak I eat the most.

It's NOT a matter of whether you can live without the steaks, but WHY should one ?

Pescador - 2-15-2015 at 10:11 AM

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now, for the rest of the story". The people reported by JunkYardDog just happen to be from my small village. They are very kind, considerate, giving, and generous. Part of what they were carrying was for a program here that provides breakfast to 50-60 children every morning. The program is run by a person who had a "change in lifestyle" and his way of giving back is to direct and run a program that was started some years ago to provide some healthy nutrition to the local children before school. So, a lot of what everyone assumed was a hauling down of T-bone steaks and the like may be a misrepresentation of what was actually being hauled. And this "haul" has happened numerous times before with no problems, so the original poster was wondering if something radical had changed.

Here are a couple of pics of the program and some of the kids.

willardguy - 2-15-2015 at 10:24 AM

well as junkyarddog said, at least it went for a good cause, not to a border patrol barbeque! ;)

Paulina - 2-15-2015 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

What he said. To add to that, how do any of you know that they weren't taking treats for friends? Thank you for the info. Hard to find a good tri tip cut in baja, let alone kryovac of them. One of our friends, yes, local Mexican friend, is waiting anxiously for his.

P>*)))>{

That was my thought, perhaps they were giving to others. Some people can be so quick to pass judgement.

P>*)))>{

vandenberg - 2-15-2015 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jack  
. Personally I don't know how I will survive without decent pepperoni or kielbasa sausage.

Readily available in La Paz.

vgabndo - 2-15-2015 at 12:07 PM

Considering that this importation of this serious quantity of meat and cheese was to help the Mexican people, I'd recommend spending the $700 at a Mexican mercado next time. That seems to me to be an altruistic win/win, and not a violation of Mexican law. Am I missing something? Other than food safety issues, it seems the law is designed to encourage visitors to buy Mexican products while they are here. Kids learn better in school when they have a full belly, I'm in favor of that on BOTH sides of the border.

Barry A. - 2-15-2015 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vgabndo  
Considering that this importation of this serious quantity of meat and cheese was to help the Mexican people, I'd recommend spending the $700 at a Mexican mercado next time. That seems to me to be an altruistic win/win, and not a violation of Mexican law. Am I missing something? Other than food safety issues, it seems the law is designed to encourage visitors to buy Mexican products while they are here. Kids learn better in school when they have a full belly, I'm in favor of that on BOTH sides of the border.

I don't believe you are missing a thing, Vag. What you say here makes good sense to me, and I practice and believe in it.

Barry

Barry A. - 2-15-2015 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vgabndo  

I don't believe you are missing a thing, Vag. What you say here makes good sense to me, and I practice and believe in it.

Barry

chuckie - 2-16-2015 at 02:19 PM

I came a cross at San Luis on Monday last wth a highly visible freezer full of elk, antelope venison, pheasants and such. I was asked what was in it and said meat. No problems....

Hook - 2-17-2015 at 08:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I came a cross at San Luis on Monday last wth a highly visible freezer full of elk, antelope venison, pheasants and such. I was asked what was in it and said meat. No problems....

Ah, Mexico.

Apparently the agent didnt like any of those meats.:lol:

DENNIS - 2-17-2015 at 11:00 AM

Some unworldly individuals arn't aware of any meat other than beef.

chuckie - 2-17-2015 at 01:39 PM

They didn't even ask what kind....

monoloco - 2-17-2015 at 03:20 PM

You should consider yourself fortunate, I know several people who have been turned around for trying to bring meat across the border in the last few months.

Hook - 2-17-2015 at 03:20 PM

That's good to hear.

I still wish someone would take a pic of that sign, so we can see what it says.

DENNIS - 2-17-2015 at 05:03 PM

Yeah...me too. And if it's on the US side, is it printed in forty languages? Some days, I only converse in Esperanto.

msteve1014 - 2-17-2015 at 05:32 PM

X2. My answer is always "food". Never had the freezer opened. My last run south was November.

thenail - 2-17-2015 at 05:39 PM

Joaquin Lopez Doriga says:

"Los gringos cuando vienen en sus gandes casas rodantes, lo unico que nos dejan es pura basura, no gastan mas que para la pura gasolina"
Carne para asada in Mexico is the best

mtgoat666 - 2-17-2015 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

That's good to hear.

I still wish someone would take a pic of that sign, so we can see what it says.

the sign is not a comprehensive list, what good will a pic of a sign do you?

here is the website with info on importing live animals and products of livestock and agricultural.
http://www.senasica.gob.mx/

uemsn11 - 2-17-2015 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thenail  
Joaquin Lopez Doriga says:

"Los gringos cuando vienen en sus gandes casas rodantes, lo unico que nos dejan es pura basura, no gastan mas que para la pura gasolina"
Carne para asada in Mexico is the best

bajabuddha - 2-18-2015 at 03:04 AM

I bet it was the duct tape. :biggrin:

Katiejay99 - 2-18-2015 at 08:07 AM

I used to visit and eat regularly at a local ranch here. I would always ask what type of meat was on the table and the answer was always "carne" so, with all the cows in abundance, I assumed it was beef.

One day while chatting someone mentioned mountain cat being good to eat and I said, quite aghast that I would NEVER eat any type of cat. My friend just looked at me sort of funny like with a grin on his face. I finally got him to admit that some of that "carne" had been just that as well as other animals. I stuck with rice and beans from that point on. Uggg.

Pescador - 2-18-2015 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Katiejay99  
I used to visit and eat regularly at a local ranch here. I would always ask what type of meat was on the table and the answer was always "carne" so, with all the cows in abundance, I assumed it was beef.

One day while chatting someone mentioned mountain cat being good to eat and I said, quite aghast that I would NEVER eat any type of cat. My friend just looked at me sort of funny like with a grin on his face. I finally got him to admit that some of that "carne" had been just that as well as other animals. I stuck with rice and beans from that point on. Uggg.

I take it you have not been to the ranch in Asuncion where they raise and serve Burro. They figure that the burros do a lot less damage to the desert that goats. From everyone who has gone there, they all loved the meals, especially the ribs. Guess it all depends on how hungry you get.

dtbushpilot - 2-18-2015 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
I never leave home without a healthy dose of Budweiser. They gave me a little grief once, but that was it.

I was bringing down a couple of cases of Coors Lite for a friend, when asked about what I was bringing in I replied "I have 2 cases of beer" and pointed at the beer. The guard looked at it, smiled and said "no you don't" and waved me on...:lol:

nomad taste in beer

mtgoat666 - 2-18-2015 at 10:29 AM

Lee - 2-18-2015 at 02:24 PM

No meat or fruit going South isn't always enforced but the ''law'' has been around awhile. I've been asked at the GN checkpoint if I had any, then the guy boarded my RV to check. $700? That's crazy.

vgabndo - 2-18-2015 at 02:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
Quote: Originally posted by Katiejay99  

I take it you have not been to the ranch in Asuncion where they raise and serve Burro. They figure that the burros do a lot less damage to the desert that goats. From everyone who has gone there, they all loved the meals, especially the ribs. Guess it all depends on how hungry you get.

I don't remember if it is FUD or KIR brand chorizo, but the first ingredient printed on the wrapper is COWS SALIVARY GLANDS. BON APPETITE

[Edited on 2-18-2015 by vgabndo]

jack - 2-18-2015 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
Quote: Originally posted by jack  
. Personally I don't know how I will survive without decent pepperoni or kielbasa sausage.

Readily available in La Paz.

That's a long drive from Mulege :(.

SlyOnce - 2-18-2015 at 03:18 PM

I shop in San Diego and drive to my house in Playas crossing in SY. There are a variety of items we choose to buy in MX and a variety we choose to buy in USA. USA cheese, coke zero, whiskey/scotch, ham steaks, sausage, things like blueberries and speciality items like for making Thai food I buy on the US side. Eggs, chicken, most meat, bacon, fruits and veggies we buy on the MX side. I do this every week for nearly 2 years now.

I've been stopped by the MX red light several times and just say "dispensas" and never had a problem.