Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: New hell at the border
junkyarddog

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 08:52 AM
New hell at the border

One thing that can be counted on in beautiful Baja is change.

Well, the new change at Tecate is a big sign that lists all the things we can't bring with us and that now includes ALL meats and dairy products. If you have a freezer full of your favorite goodies to partially sustain you during your stay, YOU ARE GOING DIRECTLY BACK TO THE USA TO DISPOSE OF THEM!

I wish my friends had taken a picture of that big sign that caused them to be turned back to dispose of those items. They gave them to a mission in Tecate, USA...lucky mission, getting about $700us worth of high quality meat and dairy products that would have sustained my friends for their lengthly stay in Baja.

Would somebody please get a picture of that sign and post it so we can see what all the new rules are?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 09:07 AM

The sign may be new, but is the regulation new as well? Seems like $700 dlls is far in excess of the allowable amount of anything.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 09:18 AM

It's been against the rules to bring meat and dairy products for a long time. Try bringing them into the states sometime and see what happens.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 09:20 AM

It's NOT a new regulation, they probably just recently put the sign up and are now really enforcing the regulation; I always cross the border with chicken, cheese, bacon, ham and some other goodies in my freezer for my two week stay the rest I buy down there, I also bring across at least ten bottles of wine and have no problem... but 700 bucks worth of stuff is another matter, did these people also have a couple of cans of gasoline, canned goods, bread, and ALL they were going to consume during they're stay down in Baja? Come on ... don't be so cheap!!!

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 09:24 AM

What is ironic to me is that Sonoran beef, Mexican cheese, sea food and produce are things that I look forward to buying in Baja. And of course, Bimbo Buns!

Edit - I am thinking of a guy from Oregon in an RV park I stayed in. The stinky, noisy diesel generator in his home built motor home ran almost constantly to keep his stash frozen. He also brought a case of Folgers coffee with him, just to be sure he could have some!

[Edited on 2-14-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 09:29 AM

hmmmm... from the SENASICA website courtesy of bajabound.

Allowed Imports

Allowed imports may be brought in quantities for personal consumption if they are no risk of introducing a pest or disease. They are subject to inspection.

Smoking tobacco
Leather products, except for endangered species like wild lamb, jaguar, black bear, etc.
Honey
Dogs and cats (a maximum of two per traveler) with health certificates and rabies vaccine records. Visit our "Traveling with Pets in Mexico" guide for more information.
Roasted coffee, dried prunes, packaged spices, dried herbs, preserved fruits and vegetables cooked or dried mushrooms and dried truffles.
Dry cooked, packed and bottled foods
From the USA and Canada: refrigerated, frozen, vacuum packed, pork and processed vacuum packed pate, milk and cheese. All must be in the original package and properly labeled.
Regulated Imports

Regulated imports may be brought into Mexico according to their origin and manufacturing process and they have fulfilled the importation requirements.

Poultry and poultry products
Wild plants and hunt trophies
Rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, etc.
Hide
Seeds, seedlings, fresh plant parts, etc.
Plants, fresh fruit, vegetables, flowers, raw cereals, etc.
Dairy products
Bees and bees' products (except honey)
Fresh, dried, canned, smoked or frozen meat and meat products from quarantined countries
Flours like corn meal, etc.
Veterinary medications and biological products
Agricultural chemicals and raw materials
Prohibited Imports

Prohibited imports are those at risk of introducing a pest or disease into Mexico and under no circumstances can be imported.

Soil
Bales of hay, natural straw or any straw decoration
Homemade food items
Meal of bone or meat
The above information is courtesy of SENASICA.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 09:39 AM

I do believe Baja has food stores....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 09:40 AM

Another item I've seen turned back by Mexico customs is firewood....sawn logs, and construction site scrap.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 09:58 AM

sawn? WOW, word of the day, and so early!:lol:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 10:03 AM

Ya, Woody....I sawed that word , too, when I readed that post... :biggrin:

[Edited on 2-14-2015 by motoged]

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 10:16 AM

Sawn is a past participle of saw.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob H  
Sawn is a past participle of saw.

Grade 4 grammar......we know that.....it just looks funny this early in the morning :yes:

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 10:35 AM
Wood Words

Saw [sic] what you will:

Lumber can be rough sawn - plain sawn - quarter sawn - rift sawn.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 10:44 AM

Well, that is a shame, especially since Santa Rosalia has a brand new Ley Store that is stocked with the best cuts of meat I have seen since La Paz and all the groceries one could hope for. With a new Steakhouse (Tonka's Steak House) a new Italian Restaurant (El Portobello) and the new Ley's Store, I think Civilization has finally arrived.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by junkyarddog  
One thing that can be counted on in beautiful Baja is change.

Well, the new change at Tecate is a big sign that lists all the things we can't bring with us...

...about $700us worth of high quality meat and dairy products that would have sustained my friends for their lengthly stay in Baja.

$700 is a lot of meat and cheese! Next time don't try bringing 5 coolers full of meat and cheese!

And for future reference, there is lots of good meat available in Baja, and some very good cheeses; however, the cheese varieties are more limited in Baja..
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 10:57 AM

Early-on in my Baja travels, I heard an apt description of a certain kind of Baja visitor:

Crosses the border with two - twenty dollar bills, and two pairs of underwear, and no intent on changing either......

El Codo.

I wonder how much of that $700 worth of food was frozen Big Macs so they still have creature comforts?

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 11:00 AM

So how is that going to work for all the people that live in TJ, and shop in San Diego. I used to see numerous people with full shopping carts coming from the Food4Less store on Palomar street. They would get on the trolley, get off at the border, cross it, where someone in a car would be waiting to pick them up.

All my food was bought in San Diego, and brought back with me, as does my friend that lives in Rosarito. Groceries in TJ were too expensive, for me to shop there. I compared the prices at the TJ Costco one day out of curiosity, and confirmed it. My landlord also told me that anyone that was able to cross the border, didn't shop in TJ.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 11:04 AM
Seen/Sawn "I seen California ruined by progress"

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Saw [sic] what you will:

Lumber can be rough sawn - plain sawn - quarter sawn - rift sawn.

The great quote from the infamous Don Sherwood days on KSFO.
It was the title of Parky Sharky's book.
Now that should bring back memories.

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 11:06 AM

For years I have marked my time in Baja by the time in the visit when I have had enough tortillas, and ONLY want a ham sandwich on white bread with mayo and mustard. It has been a long time since those ingredients have not been just as readily available as a tortilla! If you like dill pickles on your sandwich, you'd better bring them with you. I doubt I'll ever have much sympathy for folks who come here fully equipped to insulate themselves from the culture.

The street food is wonderful! My current favorite is Tacos La Baja, in the empty lot just north of the central Pemex in Vizcaino. I now judge their fish tacos to be better than the ones from Tacos don Ramon in Bahia Asuncion. (which I also eat with great gusto!):biggrin:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 11:20 AM

geezelouise, how do you know junkyarddogs friends weren't a group of twenty?? and who cares. thanks for the heads-up and warning junkyarddog! see where it gotcha!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.