BajaNomad

VRBO

pelone - 3-4-2015 at 07:10 PM

It is time for a reality check. If you are listing your house under VRBO, do not think for a moment that the Mexican government is not aware of it. The "good old days" are in the past and hoteliers and owners who are playing by the rules know that the Mexican government is being ripped off. If their hotels are going without lodgers and local houses are occupied by renters whose agents or themselves are not filing facturas---there is a dark cloud on the horizon.

UnoMas - 3-4-2015 at 08:59 PM

Not only VRBO but all rental properties! In these small villages the locals know who are renting their houses and just a matter of time before the hammer comes down on them too. They are also going after the ones who charter their boats. If you were in a competing business would you not do the same...:light::biggrin:

Lengua - 3-4-2015 at 09:32 PM

So why are you guys saying this? did you get some information ?are you aware of a crackdown or what?

gnukid - 3-4-2015 at 10:25 PM

There are minimum limits to earnings for tax payers, and those who do not earn nor meet limits are not required to file. Being listed on VRBO is not indication of requirement to file nor pay taxes.

pelone - 3-5-2015 at 06:29 AM

Gnukid----those who use VRBO and do business in Mexico are under an obligation to pay 16 percent lodging tax and another 3 percent tax as income. If you are not doing this and think that you are under the radar, you are wrong. Owners of hotels are seeing that their rooms are going empty and the villages are full of visitors. Would you not be angry that those who do not play by the rules are prospering? Same with taking "friends" fishing and taking business from the local fishermen.

gnukid - 3-5-2015 at 07:00 AM

I do not rent out, nor do know people who do except all the mexican people. Though I do know general law. It is my understanding that one must exceed a minimum income in order to be required to file and pay tax, unless you are extranero temporal residente with RFC business. Perhaps you are temporal residente, or mexican with high rental? Good for you for being such a devout advocate for the government. You should run seminars.

norte - 3-5-2015 at 08:17 AM

Thanks for your input Pelone. People should follow the law.

Get ready for all the instant experts who will attack...Because they "know general law".

You mean the Feds are watching this guy?

durrelllrobert - 3-5-2015 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pelone  
It is time for a reality check. If you are listing your house under VRBO, do not think for a moment that the Mexican government is not aware of it. The "good old days" are in the past and hoteliers and owners who are playing by the rules know that the Mexican government is being ripped off. If their hotels are going without lodgers and local houses are occupied by renters whose agents or themselves are not filing facturas---there is a dark cloud on the horizon.

gnukid - 3-5-2015 at 11:14 AM

What about that guy that tries to collect a few pesos when you visit some remote beach, that's something Pelone and Norte should pursue too. They refuse to give facturas?

gnukid - 3-5-2015 at 12:15 PM

Here are the income reporting guidelines from SRE for extraneros. that states 210,300Mn is the threshold for reportable income.

Perhaps Pelone/Norte can post a link to the tax laws he is referencing?

image001.jpg - 204kB

Bob and Susan - 3-5-2015 at 12:54 PM

i agree all rental owners should add tax to their rates and pay the taxes...get a business license for their town and a tax ID

I dis-agree that its VRBO that's emptying the hotels...
loreto is over-built for the amount of tourists that visit
re: too many hotel rooms

actually VRBO and AirBB bring money to your city...
just not to the hotels
but these people are not YOUR market pelone they wouldn't stay in your hotel anyway

the ONLY way to fill the hotel rooms in this economy is to make it CHEAP to get to loreto

lower airfares is a start...
gas prices lower than the USA
lower car rentals
better roads
better hotels in between loreto and the border

you HAVE to get to loreto to spend money there
and the place you stay has to be a destination not just a bed

what happened to the promotion of sport fishing in loreto
today...none
no more promotion of buying houses either
you never see anything about fishing charters out of loreto anymore
fishermen bring money to the town...

so the hotels are "dead" because there is no advertising pushing people to visit loreto

it's really not VRBO emptying the hotels but the people in loreto who don't promote it
whining never gets anything done...you need to go out of the box to fill the hotels

monoloco - 3-5-2015 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Here are the income reporting guidelines from SRE for extraneros. that states 210,300Mn is the threshold for reportable income.

Perhaps Pelone/Norte can post a link to the tax laws he is referencing?

Well, 210,300 pesos is about a one week rental in a nice house around these parts.

Bob and Susan - 3-5-2015 at 01:30 PM

businesses have to pay taxes monthly...
in the hotel business you need to collect 16% plus 3 %
if you rent a house you should collect because you are running a business

i'll bet that number you are referring to is for yearly individual taxes

apples and oranges

Howard - 3-5-2015 at 02:20 PM

I absolutely agree with Bob and Susan about airfare to Loreto.

I love this town but it is drying up because it is very difficult to get here. Not only is the airline price way out of line but the hassle factor is huge.

IMO (first time I have ever used initials!) the Mexican government has to step up and either subsidize the fares and have multiple flights come in. Loreto tourism cannot survive with people driving down and certainly cannot survive with the current absurd airfares. It will be a domino effect that has already started.

Well now that I got that out of my system, time for a siesta.

UnoMas - 3-5-2015 at 05:33 PM

Gnu,
If you have a rental in Mexico don't you have to be registered with Hacienda and have a tax number? Don't you also have to report any foreign income to the IRS, that was my understanding anyway.
I do know of a resort that is active in trying to curb the undocumented rentals and the taking my friend fishing business as well. There is no question it hurts their business so do you blame them.
Kid if you are telling me you don't know of people who rent their houses and charter their boats all I can say is it is your story tell it any way you want.

monoloco - 3-5-2015 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by UnoMas  
Gnu,
If you have a rental in Mexico don't you have to be registered with Hacienda and have a tax number? Don't you also have to report any foreign income to the IRS, that was my understanding anyway.
I do know of a resort that is active in trying to curb the undocumented rentals and the taking my friend fishing business as well. There is no question it hurts their business so do you blame them.
Kid if you are telling me you don't know of people who rent their houses and charter their boats all I can say is it is your story tell it any way you want.
Yes, unless you want to end up with a CLAUSURADO sign on your house like a bunch of people in Todos Santos have just experienced. Don't make the mistake of thinking it's only gringos who are looking at your ad on VRBO.

UnoMas - 3-5-2015 at 06:18 PM

Yes monoloco or the onion, pony express or any other rag...:biggrin:

gnukid - 3-5-2015 at 09:59 PM

I don't rent out rooms. One day I might. No gringos I know rent rooms in their house or rent their house probably because no one whats the hassle. Mexicans I know do rent and, there are many rooms for rent from mexicans on my street in almost every house.

My point was that there are minimum thresholds for income tax in mexico--that is it. If you are an active business person, you are required to have legal representative, accountant and they file monthly-if you have income, if your business is not active you may have to file "en ceros" or may not have to file "en zeros" depending on your residency status.

If you have questions, get an accountant, call a real estate office, lawyer, etc and go to the SRE and hacienda and ask for more info. Both offices have phones numbers to call and you can find an english speaking person to speak to, it's not a mystery nor can I imagine people running active rentals and skirting the law, that's silly. I can probably find the office numbers and an accountant if you need it. i bet you could just go on VRBO and send a note to any vrbo listing in baja and ask them about their experience with costs and taxes, ask for the contact info for hacienda and SRE and you might get good general info an find an agent to help you rent and manage the issues. Good luck