BajaNomad

New Immigrations checkpoint

rdrrm8e - 3-5-2015 at 11:55 AM

I copied this from BD.

It's new info that may help some here. This was not me personally.

Got stopped yesterday about 2:30 PM heading home from Castros' Camp. The Mexican Immigration folks had a roadside stop South of Maneadero where the Army used to have their check point and the Federal Police still have theirs. Its by the Water Park and Camp ground. They were very professional and courteous but they were turning South Bound travelers around if they didn't have a Visa. They explained that they could get them in Ensanada. They were also stopping North bound travelers and explaining that you had to have a Visa to travel in Mexico whether it was to TJ or Cabo . So 7 day Visas for free 180 day there is a charge. Ive traveled to Castros and points above Guerro Negro for twenty years and this is the first time I have experienced an Immigration stop. So be aware and get your Visas. Years ago there was a stop for immigration in Maneodero but that has been gone for years. They were not there Tuesday the 3/10/15 but they were there Wednesday 3/4/15!!

sancho - 3-5-2015 at 12:11 PM

People often ignore regs if they are not
enforced. Seems the different Mex Imm
offices may apply the 72 hr reg differently,
or not at all. If there were clear, defined, posted
Imm regs, all of the confusion would be eliminated,
I always have the 7 day or the 180 day

David K - 3-5-2015 at 12:12 PM

Thanks... random checkpoint set ups are the new trend, perhaps?

willardguy - 3-5-2015 at 12:17 PM

thanks for the heads up m8e!

Prepping for Semana Santa?

Whale-ista - 3-5-2015 at 12:34 PM

thank you- good to know. We will be getting our FMMs for the spring recess week end of March- and this just reinforces the message.

I've been wondering when that large structure would be put to use- couldn't stand empty forever, right?

Also wonder if they are responding to seasonal travel patterns, e.g.- spring recess/Semana Santa visitors who will be heading south this month?

vgabndo - 3-5-2015 at 01:11 PM

He's talking about the old check-point location where the northbound "what the hell" stop sign is located. By the big campground.

Fernweh - 3-5-2015 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

I've been wondering when that large structure would be put to use- couldn't stand empty forever, right?

That structure got cut down a bit, to allow easier passage.....

The checkpoint is not there, rather by the large campground/swimming pools, and the Federal Police (sometimes) checkpoint, just outside of Maneadero.

SFandH - 3-5-2015 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rdrrm8e  

you had to have a Visa to travel in Mexico whether it was to TJ or Cabo .

I wonder if it is true you need a visa to travel to TJ, Rosarito, and Ensenada. That would be a big change and it would eliminate what's left of the weekend tourist business from SOCAL in those cities.

bajatravelergeorge - 3-5-2015 at 01:43 PM

I was stopped at the checkpoint heading north as well yesterday and was told I needed to get a FMM visa. They, (immigration officials), asked to see my passport first. This is the first time in 30 years of travel in Baja Norte I've ever been asked if I had a tourist visa or a passport.

David K - 3-5-2015 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by rdrrm8e  

you had to have a Visa to travel in Mexico whether it was to TJ or Cabo .

I wonder if it is true you need a visa to travel to TJ, Rosarito, and Ensenada. That would be a big change and it would eliminate what's left of the weekend tourist business from SOCAL in those cities.

Just imagine the line of cars and people at the border going south IF there was no more 'border zone/ 72 hour' without needing a tourist card waiver?

If Mexico wants more tourism, that is not going to help one bit. Have a real INM checkpoint that sells or writes the FMM, south of Maneadero, like back before the 1990's... don't stop all the border town and Ensenada traffic.

willardguy - 3-5-2015 at 02:54 PM

I envision the day you'll be able to pick one up at any OXXO like we pay our utilities now. wouldn't that be great?

David K - 3-5-2015 at 02:55 PM

Yes, and Mexico would get more money, more tourists...

bajatrailrider - 3-5-2015 at 03:05 PM

Over 20 years ago they pulled that on us same place.They would not let us pass.We turned around,toward made Lt at next paved road.Then another dirt Lt.It by passes them,comes out at bridge just down road from them. Now I have my papers.I got 180day pass in TJ it was free.

willardguy - 3-5-2015 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Over 20 years ago they pulled that on us same place.They would not let us pass.We turned around,toward made Lt at next paved road.Then another dirt Lt.It by passes them,comes out at bridge just down road from them. Now I have my papers.I got 180day pass in TJ it was free.

180 days, free?

David K - 3-5-2015 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

180 days, free?

Tourist cards were FREE from the early 1960's to mid 2000. Lot's of tourism those years! Started charging for them and from 2001 and after, tourism had dropped like a rock. Yes, other things happened to slow tourism as well... but why make a bad situation worse by adding a tourist tax?

[Edited on 3-5-2015 by David K]

Bajaboy - 3-5-2015 at 03:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, and Mexico would get more money, more tourists...

I'm sure Mexicans would enjoy the ability to visit the US as easily as we can visit Mexico.

vacaenbaja - 3-5-2015 at 04:07 PM

About 10 years ago I was unable to get my tourist card at the boarder because no one was at the window at the time.
I thought that it was no problem I will just get one at the immigration in Ensenada.

Well when I got to the office in
Ensenada I was asked where I was going and for how long
I said Bay of LA for a week. I was asked why didn't I get my tourist visa as I crossed the boarder. I said there was no one there, the guy
said they are open 24 hrs there is always someone there. He then proceeded to "fine" me for not having my papers processed at the nearest point of entry. Gave me a receipt after I paid at the bank.

The place I went to does a lot a immigration for boats that come in
so my guess is that he applied some law that they use on boats to me, although I don't know where a boater would stop before
Ensenada to get an official stamp.

sancho - 3-5-2015 at 04:39 PM

I'm sure there are BN who were not giong SOB back when
FMT's, Tourist Cards were free, AAA handed out blank fmt's.
At times I would run into Mex Imm who balked at 180 days,
the 180 day were at times given only to Yachties, so I would
bypass the border Mex Imm guys and go to the Mex Counsulate
in San Diego getting the approved 180 fmt, show it at the border
for an entry stamp, and being asked about the 180 day approval
at which I would point out it was given by their Consulate

willardguy - 3-5-2015 at 04:46 PM

180 days, free?

Tourist cards were FREE from the early 1960's to mid 2000. Lot's of tourism those years! Started charging for them and from 2001 and after, tourism had dropped like a rock. Yes, other things happened to slow tourism as well... but why make a bad situation worse by adding a tourist tax?

so my question is are they free again? bajatrailrider got one! not that 20 bucks is a big deal but free is better!:light:

David K - 3-5-2015 at 05:01 PM

180 days, free?

so my question is are they free again? bajatrailrider got one! not that 20 bucks is a big deal but free is better!:light:

Well, he was talking about 20 years ago, and now he has "his papers" (FM-3?), then he goes back to how the 180 day FMM was fee (20 years ago?).

Maybe he will come back and clear it up for you Willard?
The best I know is 7 days is a free one, and up to 180 days is a $25 or ? dollar one.

vgabndo - 3-5-2015 at 05:30 PM

This sounds like a really good way to determine what proportion of Gringo travelers are scoffing at Mexican law. If one is NB or SB at Maneadero you're clearly south of Ensenada and an "undocumented alien" if you didn't have at least an FMM. I've been amazed at the number of people if seen or heard admit to having sneaked into Mexico without permission. Having said that, I recognize that having consecutive FMM's is also a violation.

David K - 3-5-2015 at 06:15 PM

Yup, government loves laws and fines... gives them purpose.

Since none of the Americans 'sneaked into' Mexico when they drove across the border and passed the red/ green light gate... and there is NOT ONE sign along Hwy. 1 or 5 saying non-Mexicans cannot go south of, or stay longer than... without a tourist card... how much 'guilt' is the casual tourist supposed to shoulder?

Not everyone who drives into Mexico reads Baja Nomad to learn these obscure rules... Why not SELL the tourist cards right there where they are required, make some money for the republic, and let people enjoy Mexico (and spend more money on actual businesses there)?

[Edited on 3-6-2015 by David K]

different rules different border agents?

akshadow - 3-5-2015 at 06:29 PM

A friend of mine has some people coming thru Algadones and he asked if they could get free FMM's for less than 7 days to visit San Felipe. The immigration man said NO, that too many people over stayed the seven days.

DENNIS - 3-5-2015 at 06:33 PM

Not much has changed. You still can visit TJ and Ensenada for up to 72 hours [some say one week] without an FMM.
Mexico is becoming a country that enforces laws, so we have to comply. It makes everybody's life easier.

DianaT - 3-5-2015 at 06:37 PM

Since none of the Americans 'sneaked into' Mexico when they drove across the border and passed the red/ green light gate... and there is NOT ONE sign along Hwy. 1 or 5 saying non-Mexicans cannot go south of, or stay longer than... without a tourist card... how much 'guilt' is the casual tourist supposed to shoulder?

Not everyone who drives into Mexico reads Baja Nomad to learn these obscure rules... Why not SELL the tourist cards right there where they are required, make some money for the republic, and let people enjoy Mexico (and spend more money on actual businesses there)?

Be real --- the majority of ex-pats and travelers in Baja do NOT belong to this forum. And for anyone to travel into a foreign country without seeking information regarding the travel restrictions, laws, etc., deserves to be fined.

Over the years the people we know and have met who are in Baja or on the mainland without the proper papers know the rules; they choose to now follow them. It is a choice as long as one is willing to pay the price.

Imagine if you had to jump through the hoops that the Mexicans have to go through in order to visit the USA.

Tomas Tierra - 3-5-2015 at 06:52 PM

So do my kids 9, and 15 years old need FMM's..
Both still traveling on birth certs.

What kind of nightmare are we in for trying to get an FMM in TJ during semana santa?

Whatever it takes it will be worth it!!

TT

David K - 3-5-2015 at 07:17 PM

LOL... what difference does it make what the United States requires? People come here for a lot more reasons than Americans, many just wanting to camp, surf, or fish in Baja.

I am NOT suggesting anyone break any rules, just make it possible for EVERYONE to obtain the papers, simply, without a hundred different versions of where it is needed. It worked great in the 70's when I began driving myself south. We pulled up to the little shack south of Maneadero, and with a birth certificate (or as U.S. president's picture on some green paper), a FREE tourist card was issued.

In summer of 2000, they figured why not start getting Americans to spend money before they are even fully in the country. It's been a headache ever since to know the true rules... or see it in print, why is that?

Gulliver - 3-5-2015 at 07:39 PM

I lost my card (180 day). my plan is to file a report with the local police in Mulege to document the loss. But then can I get a new one any closer to me than LaPaz or Tecate or some such far away place? San Rosalia maybe??

My thinking is that I will wait to file the report until close to when I'm headed North and then have the report in hand when I hit any such immigration check point. The lost one runs out in early May just a few days after my planned Northbound trip.

Bajaboy - 3-5-2015 at 07:54 PM

"Ignorance is my excuse...I watch Fox News":lol::lol::lol:

liknbaja127 - 3-5-2015 at 08:04 PM

We were down last week to see the whales with Shari. Had a great time! We all had our fmt's But we never were asked to show them!
I have seem Federal police at that stop before, but never had to stop.
Getting your fmt is really easy at the new TJ crossing, why not just
get it?

vgabndo - 3-5-2015 at 09:07 PM

LOL... what difference does it make what the United States requires? People come here for a lot more reasons than Americans, many just wanting to camp, surf, or fish in Baja.

I am NOT suggesting anyone break any rules, just make it possible for EVERYONE to obtain the papers, simply, without a hundred different versions of where it is needed. It worked great in the 70's when I began driving myself south. We pulled up to the little shack south of Maneadero, and with a birth certificate (or as U.S. president's picture on some green paper), a FREE tourist card was issued.

In summer of 2000, they figured why not start getting Americans to spend money before they are even fully in the country. It's been a headache ever since to know the true rules... or see it in print, why is that?

What a headache to know the rules? Let me Google that for you. I just plugged-in "Driving to Baja what do I need to know". With the exception of a State Department safety warning, and Mexperience.com one after another after another of the sites provided by Google detailed the identification, insurance, and immigration information a person would need to know to be prepared to enter the country. Other than some vague numbers about the "border zone" on one site, and the San Felipe site seeming to make the assumption that people would not be traveling farther south, I found all the information to be consistent with what most of the seasoned travelers on this forum seem to have found to be true. While it is true that it is no longer possible, or advisable, to try to bribe an immigration officer in lieu of presenting proper ID, the process at San Ysidro is smooth and easy with plenty of free parking, a payment window steps from the immigration office, and a friendly staff who are remarkably tolerant of people who haven't bothered to learn any meaningful Spanish. People who cross any international border without knowing the regulations regarding immigration, it seems to me, are either woefully uninformed, or are purposefully risking the consequences. I've never been checked for an FMT or FMM and it has never been a worry.

woody with a view - 3-5-2015 at 09:24 PM

you pays your moneys and you haves your funs.....

FMM, don't leave home without it!

bajatrailrider - 3-5-2015 at 10:14 PM

Yes free,At the office at TJ crossing. It was Sometime around 8/14.They even told me at the Mexican Embassy in LA.It would cost me xx dollars.When I give all my papers to get it.Then pulled out money to pay cashier.The officer said No money Buy BUY. Does anybody think they do things in order in Mexico? If you dont pay the property tax in San Vicente.No one collects it.Less then 20% pay it. I do;)

BajaBlanca - 3-6-2015 at 12:08 AM

and get this, my mom is coming to visit and they would not give her a tourist visa at the Mexican consulate in san diego. what's up with that?

of course she can get one at the border but I thought she could save some time by getting it beforehand.

norte - 3-6-2015 at 07:53 AM

Poor David. Life is so difficult. You can surf and camp in the good old USA. Why not stay there then. Of course you have to pay your way. You obviously do not like that part.

SFandH - 3-6-2015 at 08:20 AM

We need to remember that Mexico also has a southern border that has its own set of problems concerning foreigners. Specifically, there are many people entering Mexico illegally from Central America that have no money and are looking to stay permanently in hopes of a better life. The new immigration rules and the tightening up of enforcement is probably driven more by the issues at the southern border than at the northern border.

I hope there is someone reading this message that can read Spanish well enough to translate the rules stated in this document. See section 1.3 on page 26.

http://www.gobernacion.gob.mx/work/models/SEGOB/Resource/689...

Ateo - 3-6-2015 at 08:25 AM

We are ALL Africans! Ha ha ha, don't you wish it was that easy.............

BajaRat - 3-6-2015 at 08:27 AM

How about invalid vehicle insurance without valid visa in Mexico for motivation to obey the ley :light:
Why would anybody risk prison and financial ruin over that

vgabndo - 3-6-2015 at 08:44 AM

Yes free,At the office at TJ crossing. It was Sometime around 8/14.They even told me at the Mexican Embassy in LA.It would cost me xx dollars.When I give all my papers to get it.Then pulled out money to pay cashier.The officer said No money Buy BUY. Does anybody think they do things in order in Mexico? If you dont pay the property tax in San Vicente.No one collects it.Less then 20% pay it. I do;)

Quite a difference (in this case) between Buy Buy and Bye Bye! :lol::lol:

Hook - 3-6-2015 at 09:08 AM

We have some new checkpoints over here, suddenly. In this case, INM is stopping buses to make sure there are no illegals coming from the south of Mexico, headed to the US, illegally. They are not stopping cars.

Mexico is starting to get tough with their immigration regulations. For those of us who have always paid up to be legal, it's about time.

bajatrailrider - 3-6-2015 at 10:25 AM

Anybody get turned back at check point,without permit?

MMc - 3-7-2015 at 10:05 AM

Just a FYI, many people that are illegal on both side of the boarder are people that overstay their visas. They did not sneak in. How many time share salesmen in Cabo are legal paperwork wise?

Whale-ista - 3-7-2015 at 10:17 AM

I tried. Page won't open in my browser??

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
We need to remember that Mexico also has a southern border that has its own set of problems concerning foreigners. Specifically, there are many people entering Mexico illegally from Central America that have no money and are looking to stay permanently in hopes of a better life. The new immigration rules and the tightening up of enforcement is probably driven more by the issues at the southern border than at the northern border.

I hope there is someone reading this message that can read Spanish well enough to translate the rules stated in this document. See section 1.3 on page 26.

http://www.gobernacion.gob.mx/work/models/SEGOB/Resource/689...

SFandH - 3-7-2015 at 03:19 PM

It's a pdf file. Maybe your browser doesn't have the Adobe plug-in. Try saving it to disk with a right click and correct menu selection and then opening with Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free software from Adobe.

https://get.adobe.com/reader/

sancho - 3-7-2015 at 03:28 PM

The Central Americans that come into Mex from Guatemala
are routinely robbed and worse by Mex Authorities, preyed
upon. I was under the impression most are headed for
the US

bajatrailrider - 3-7-2015 at 09:58 PM

I alerted my freind coming to visit,me in Mexico.About check point.Told him have everybody get 7 day pass at Tj border.They all had Sentry Passes,and no passports.They would not give them any permits.Anyway nobody at check point. Love Mexico

DianaT - 3-7-2015 at 10:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
The Central Americans that come into Mex from Guatemala
are routinely robbed and worse by Mex Authorities, preyed
upon. I was under the impression most are headed for
the US

The transmigrantes from Central America who travel from the US through Mexico are often robbed, treated terribly by the Mexican officials, and getting through Chiapas is a real challenge. The short lived ferry from Brownsville to Puerto Cortes in Honduras was their dream. We also hoped to use it, but it died.

Immigration is a complicated problem on all borders. While we have always tried to be totally legal in Mexico, we once crossed a less used border from Guatemala on a weekend on our way to the US and ended up with no papers or insurance. It was our choice to continue, but we knew that we were running a risk.

[Edited on 3-8-2015 by DianaT]