Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: New Immigrations checkpoint
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 11:55 AM
New Immigrations checkpoint

I copied this from BD.

It's new info that may help some here. This was not me personally.

Got stopped yesterday about 2:30 PM heading home from Castros' Camp. The Mexican Immigration folks had a roadside stop South of Maneadero where the Army used to have their check point and the Federal Police still have theirs. Its by the Water Park and Camp ground. They were very professional and courteous but they were turning South Bound travelers around if they didn't have a Visa. They explained that they could get them in Ensanada. They were also stopping North bound travelers and explaining that you had to have a Visa to travel in Mexico whether it was to TJ or Cabo . So 7 day Visas for free 180 day there is a charge. Ive traveled to Castros and points above Guerro Negro for twenty years and this is the first time I have experienced an Immigration stop. So be aware and get your Visas. Years ago there was a stop for immigration in Maneodero but that has been gone for years. They were not there Tuesday the 3/10/15 but they were there Wednesday 3/4/15!!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 12:11 PM

People often ignore regs if they are not
enforced. Seems the different Mex Imm
offices may apply the 72 hr reg differently,
or not at all. If there were clear, defined, posted
Imm regs, all of the confusion would be eliminated,
I always have the 7 day or the 180 day

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 12:12 PM

Thanks... random checkpoint set ups are the new trend, perhaps?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 12:17 PM

thanks for the heads up m8e!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 12:34 PM
Prepping for Semana Santa?

thank you- good to know. We will be getting our FMMs for the spring recess week end of March- and this just reinforces the message.

I've been wondering when that large structure would be put to use- couldn't stand empty forever, right?

Also wonder if they are responding to seasonal travel patterns, e.g.- spring recess/Semana Santa visitors who will be heading south this month?

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 01:11 PM

He's talking about the old check-point location where the northbound "what the hell" stop sign is located. By the big campground.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

I've been wondering when that large structure would be put to use- couldn't stand empty forever, right?

That structure got cut down a bit, to allow easier passage.....

The checkpoint is not there, rather by the large campground/swimming pools, and the Federal Police (sometimes) checkpoint, just outside of Maneadero.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rdrrm8e  

you had to have a Visa to travel in Mexico whether it was to TJ or Cabo .

I wonder if it is true you need a visa to travel to TJ, Rosarito, and Ensenada. That would be a big change and it would eliminate what's left of the weekend tourist business from SOCAL in those cities.
bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 01:43 PM

I was stopped at the checkpoint heading north as well yesterday and was told I needed to get a FMM visa. They, (immigration officials), asked to see my passport first. This is the first time in 30 years of travel in Baja Norte I've ever been asked if I had a tourist visa or a passport.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by rdrrm8e  

you had to have a Visa to travel in Mexico whether it was to TJ or Cabo .

I wonder if it is true you need a visa to travel to TJ, Rosarito, and Ensenada. That would be a big change and it would eliminate what's left of the weekend tourist business from SOCAL in those cities.

Just imagine the line of cars and people at the border going south IF there was no more 'border zone/ 72 hour' without needing a tourist card waiver?

If Mexico wants more tourism, that is not going to help one bit. Have a real INM checkpoint that sells or writes the FMM, south of Maneadero, like back before the 1990's... don't stop all the border town and Ensenada traffic.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 02:54 PM

I envision the day you'll be able to pick one up at any OXXO like we pay our utilities now. wouldn't that be great?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 02:55 PM

Yes, and Mexico would get more money, more tourists...

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 03:05 PM

Over 20 years ago they pulled that on us same place.They would not let us pass.We turned around,toward made Lt at next paved road.Then another dirt Lt.It by passes them,comes out at bridge just down road from them. Now I have my papers.I got 180day pass in TJ it was free.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Over 20 years ago they pulled that on us same place.They would not let us pass.We turned around,toward made Lt at next paved road.Then another dirt Lt.It by passes them,comes out at bridge just down road from them. Now I have my papers.I got 180day pass in TJ it was free.

180 days, free?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

180 days, free?

Tourist cards were FREE from the early 1960's to mid 2000. Lot's of tourism those years! Started charging for them and from 2001 and after, tourism had dropped like a rock. Yes, other things happened to slow tourism as well... but why make a bad situation worse by adding a tourist tax?

[Edited on 3-5-2015 by David K]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 03:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, and Mexico would get more money, more tourists...

I'm sure Mexicans would enjoy the ability to visit the US as easily as we can visit Mexico.

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 04:07 PM

About 10 years ago I was unable to get my tourist card at the boarder because no one was at the window at the time.
I thought that it was no problem I will just get one at the immigration in Ensenada.

Well when I got to the office in
Ensenada I was asked where I was going and for how long
I said Bay of LA for a week. I was asked why didn't I get my tourist visa as I crossed the boarder. I said there was no one there, the guy
said they are open 24 hrs there is always someone there. He then proceeded to "fine" me for not having my papers processed at the nearest point of entry. Gave me a receipt after I paid at the bank.

The place I went to does a lot a immigration for boats that come in
so my guess is that he applied some law that they use on boats to me, although I don't know where a boater would stop before
Ensenada to get an official stamp.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 04:39 PM

I'm sure there are BN who were not giong SOB back when
FMT's, Tourist Cards were free, AAA handed out blank fmt's.
At times I would run into Mex Imm who balked at 180 days,
the 180 day were at times given only to Yachties, so I would
bypass the border Mex Imm guys and go to the Mex Counsulate
in San Diego getting the approved 180 fmt, show it at the border
for an entry stamp, and being asked about the 180 day approval
at which I would point out it was given by their Consulate

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 04:46 PM

180 days, free?

Tourist cards were FREE from the early 1960's to mid 2000. Lot's of tourism those years! Started charging for them and from 2001 and after, tourism had dropped like a rock. Yes, other things happened to slow tourism as well... but why make a bad situation worse by adding a tourist tax?

so my question is are they free again? bajatrailrider got one! not that 20 bucks is a big deal but free is better!:light:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 05:01 PM

180 days, free?

so my question is are they free again? bajatrailrider got one! not that 20 bucks is a big deal but free is better!:light:

Well, he was talking about 20 years ago, and now he has "his papers" (FM-3?), then he goes back to how the 180 day FMM was fee (20 years ago?).

Maybe he will come back and clear it up for you Willard?
The best I know is 7 days is a free one, and up to 180 days is a $25 or ? dollar one.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.