BajaNomad

OMG, more Panga Info.

Pescador - 3-13-2015 at 08:14 AM

Well, one does not have to search very far to find some real negative naysayers on pangas, but a friend just sent me an article from Sportfishing Magazine by Tred Barta. Seems Tred owned lots of boats in his life from duck boats to 55 footers. His favorite boat of his lifetime is the Makaira which is now in Casa Vieja Lodge in Guatemala. He says: "I've seen through construction of a 37 foot day boat to a 70 ft Davis, and I have a true education in marine construction and propulsion as it relates to weight, hull design, and length. To be blunt, after 50 years, I know my stuff, both on the practical side and the book side." So what is he choosing for his last boat. A panga, 22 ft, with the ability to latch down his wheelchair. He feels that the ratio between a panda's length and width, with a gentle deadrise. is easy to push with very little power, along with being stable, seaworthy, and carries a large load. Because it takes about 50% less power than a conventional recreation hull and handles extremely well in a beam or quartering sea, it is considered a dry boat.

Robertofox - 3-13-2015 at 08:52 AM

That was my last boat before I got the 14' Klamath that I have now. I ordered a new 23' center console from Aqua-Marine in Ensenada. Great hull and trailer from them. I brought it back to San Diego and installed all the plumbing, electric and a new 90HP two stroke Yamaha. That was a slick ride!! Then I had to sell it. Rough part of life. I sold it to a young gringo who works in Cabo. Hey kid....you out there???!!! I sure miss that ride. Oh well. Low maintenance and easy loading is the game now that I'm older.

Cancamo - 3-13-2015 at 11:04 AM

Best $1800 I ever spent was on my custom 20' Burquez panga hull in La Paz in 1984. After 30 years and it's second motor it continues to provide much enjoyment. When not in use it sits on the beach unmolested, (including Semana Santa), and ready for use. Kept basic with tiller drive and removable everything I am still able to launch solo, rolling over the sand in home-made roller-tubes. With the seaworthiness, range, space, and low maintenance, for me it's ideal. After getting by, but still wanting, with smaller aluminum, fiberglass, and yes wooden skiffs, I paid attention to what local folks have made their living with throughout the Americas. My thinking was why re-invent the wheel?
Just like Baja, it's not for everybody, but works great for me. With any luck I'll get another 30 years on the water with it, (God Willing).
For certain I'm a big panga fan.

Pompano - 3-13-2015 at 12:26 PM

I love the water, and I never met a boat I didn't like.

PANGAS....long and skinny is the design. There are lots of trade-offs.

It's not a shape you instantly fall in love with at first sight...but I've always believed in giving second chances. ;)

Good thread about these popular Baja boats, Pescador. I'd like to read more pros and cons to the panga from more owners like Robertofox and Cancamo.

I'll get the ball rolling with these well-known 'assumptions.'

Like everything else in life, pangas are a mixed bag.

The normal complaints - it's narrow and rocks in a weight change or when at rest, a real pounder in chop and is not particularly speedy. 2 or 3 is company, 4 is a crowd. Can't do overnighters comfortably. Usually no amenities when stock.

The normal approvals - it's cheap, almost indestructible and we can treat it like a red-headed stepchild without feeling guilty. All we have to really care about are the motors. Not particularly sensitive to payload - hence smaller motors. Easy to get up on plane. Somewhat shallow draft and easy to beach.

The 'others' - tows relatively well behind another boat (my old one was a towed tender for my very lovable 28' cruiser/camper), flat section at the stern helps offset roll tendency of the narrow beam, sharp entry sometimes can be useful vs the chop in certain conditions.

I repeat...If it's a boat, I love it.

[Edited on 3-13-2015 by Pompano]

Skeet/Loreto - 3-13-2015 at 01:47 PM

zzzzzzzzzowned and operated a 22 Ft Panga out of Loreto for 27 years. Been in all kinds of weather and water and always felt Safe
Had it built in La Paz in 1972/ used a 55 Homelight for several years then switched to a 70 Hp Mercury,
Fished from Los Cruces in the South to Mulege in the North.
If I were to go back fishing i would hire alvarro Murillo out of Loreto to fish with.
figured that is why most all the mexicano Fisherman use the Panga.

skeet/Loreto

desertcpl - 3-13-2015 at 02:31 PM

I had a 22' panga,,, bought the hull in La Paz

had it sportized in San Diego,, Blue Propose marine

loved the boat,,, used it a lot, at the same time I owned

the panga I also had a 28' Topaz sport fisher,, but my go to boat was the panga,, had a 115 Yamaha, it didn't need that big of an engine,

chuckie - 3-13-2015 at 02:48 PM

I wouldn't quote Tred Barta as an authority on much.....I do like big Pangas tho, and Treds ex wife is nice....

Skeet/Loreto - 3-13-2015 at 03:33 PM

Caught my largest a 800 Lb Blue Shark, Also had it loaded many times with Sharks as I fished with the Commercials at times and helped them hauk in their Catch,
Had it rigged with a Canopy for protection.

weebray - 3-13-2015 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto  
zzzzzzzzzowned and operated a 22 Ft Panga out of Loreto -.
If I were to go back fishing i would hire alvarro Murillo out of Loreto to fish with.
figured that is why most all the mexicano Fisherman use the Panga.

skeet/Loreto

Wow, Are you talking about Alejo Murillo? In the 70's I used to fish with him every winter. No one on the water was better. He would scan the horizon, we would speed off in some direction, we would stop suddenly in the middle of nowhere. Down we would drop our lures and up would come the yellowtail. He had arms like tree trunks and could go for hours. He would wear us out until he finally let us off the hook to go bottom fishing. Not long on talk, simply a master fisherman.

Pompano - 3-13-2015 at 08:33 PM

I took one of these for a test run in Florida. The jury is still out on it. It's a 26' CC diesel made by Angler. A gringo-ized panga design that could host a square dance. Fuel stingy and a good ride. I thought at the time it would be perfect for the Cortez chop.

Pescador - 3-13-2015 at 10:15 PM

Here is some old info:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=37200#pid3957...

And:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=57505#pid9186...

LaTijereta - 3-14-2015 at 05:57 AM

Still fishing on our 1982 "Shroyer" built panga out of La Paz..

Fished today North of Loreto for seven yellowtail, and nice Baquetta (12kg) and Cabria.. Boat still moves through the water at 30mph, powered by a 100hp Yamaha (4th motor in all those years)..

Bob and Susan - 3-14-2015 at 07:11 AM

I think for old technology these boats are great "lookers" and have been around along time...they are proven...but like an old 1957 chevy

now...

in the last few years I've watched these triumph boats launch...light and strong...no problems...plastic... take a look...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKqjr660neU

Pescador - 3-14-2015 at 07:21 AM

Funny you would say that, because that is what I and several friends have gone to. I have a 21.5 and love it. But, it is not as efficient as some of the pangas I have ridden in.

monoloco - 3-14-2015 at 07:33 AM

Efficiency is important with the price of fuel in Baja these days.

Skeet/Loreto - 3-14-2015 at 07:40 AM

ZI was talking about Alvarro Murrillo who was Alejos Brother. There was 8 of those brothers. He was a hellof a Fisherman. All of the Brothers fished and lived out of San Nicholas for years.

Pappa Murillo was given the Property of San Nicholas after he fought in the War.
Skeet

Bob and Susan - 3-14-2015 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
Funny you would say that, because that is what I and several friends have gone to. I have a 21.5 and love it. But, it is not as efficient as some of the pangas I have ridden in.

I don't know...you can stand up and walk around easily on YOUR boat and everyone that gets on the water wants to walk around...no one like to sit all day hunched over

I think the 19 footers are a great size for this area but your size is a more sea worthy size...maybe if you had a smaller boat you would get better mileage : )
I know when I sold my 23 footer w the 200hp and got the 15 footer with the 9.9hp I reduced my fuel usage ALOT!!!

redhilltown - 3-14-2015 at 11:17 PM

I have never owned a panga but certainly have spent hundreds of hours fishing out of them...and some not so pretty yet they seem to take a lickin and keep on tickin. They seem stable and sturdy but I always curse myself when I forget a cushion...those afternoon winds and chop can really be a pain in the... oh...you know.

Pompano - 3-15-2015 at 09:09 AM

Pangas....They seem to be a softer ride than the "Boston Bouncers". :rolleyes: