BajaNomad

Strangest El Nino ever

Whale-ista - 3-17-2015 at 10:04 PM

Weather in San Diego today: very warm with a tropical looking cloud system out of the south. No rain in the forecast.

This has become the warmest, driest ENSO I've ever seen...

bajabuddha - 3-17-2015 at 10:25 PM

I started just paying attention to El Ninos since 1983-4, and what they all boil down to, both El Ninos and La Ninas (tildes excluded for now) is ALL BETS ARE OFF for 'normal' weather patterns. It's a semi-global event that effects all weather patterns in an 'other-than-normal' way.

It's Mother at her best/worst, but only in a very infinitesimal way. Big to us for now, but ...... could be worse! And, probably will.

*sigh*....... another 22 page thread...... :P

BooJumMan - 3-18-2015 at 08:35 PM

This year, while titled El Nino, is still just barely one.

blackwolfmt - 3-18-2015 at 08:52 PM

All I know is I am in SW Colorado now down from Mt and I really hope to see an early Monsoon season for the 4 corners and kaliI was born n raised here and spring seems to come earlier every year and the snowpack the last couple yrs has been way low and when that happens everything suffers I got a feeling were going to start seeing a longer fire season as the norm,,In our lifetime

bajabuddha - 3-18-2015 at 09:56 PM

Blackwolf, we had a saying in Bluff, Utah.... "you know when it's springtime in Bluff... all the license plates turn green".

Enjoy the spring in 4 corners, may see you there. I lived there 8 years. Still miss the Fragrant Sand Verbena in bloom at dusk.

BajaBlanca - 3-19-2015 at 03:50 AM

we are already having sandstorms this year and have, after being here for 8 years, installed an air conditioner. It is usually cool to cold here all year long but these el nino years are just brutal.

woody with a view - 3-19-2015 at 05:51 AM

when the pelagic red crabs are washing up on the beaches of SD that's when you know we're having an event! I've only seen it twice.

durrelllrobert - 3-19-2015 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
All I know is I am in SW Colorado now down from Mt and I really hope to see an early Monsoon season for the 4 corners and kaliI was born n raised here and spring seems to come earlier every year and the snowpack the last couple yrs has been way low and when that happens everything suffers I got a feeling were going to start seeing a longer fire season as the norm,,In our lifetime

During my last 3 years in MT (1950 - 1953) we had our first SNOW fall the first week of Sept. . (LABOR DAY) and the last at the end of May (MEMORIAL DAY). Thank God that Spring lasted the entire month of June, Summer the entire month of July and Fall the entire month of August.

bajabuddha - 3-19-2015 at 09:15 AM

Montana (as well as northern Utah, CO, ID, WY etc.) really only have two seasons; winter, and road construction.
(J/K, I do miss the fall colors)

sancho - 3-19-2015 at 11:16 AM

Water here at the pier was 64 the other day, while not
too uncommon, a guy fishing off Catalina had a sea turtle
swim by

SlyOnce - 3-19-2015 at 11:39 AM

Here in San Diego/Tijuana all winter long the Yellowtail have been here, and biting. They are eating red crabs. This is not normal in February/March and neither are the 90 degree days we've been having. Last summer was the best fishing in 40 years for pelagic (migratory) species. Even I caught some yellow fin tuna. Water was very warm last summer and remains warm now (for winter).

I hope we get some March rain, for that to happen the high that has been forming over Utah all winter needs to dissipate.

I hope we have another banner fishing summer with BFT, YFT, Yellowtail, and Dorado like last summer. I caught my tuna only 9 miles out of Point Loma (9 mile bank).

Thankfully I live on the beach in Playas, at least that area is reasonably cool. We don't have AC and I don't have it in the car either.

Whale-ista - 3-19-2015 at 11:55 AM

Here in San Diego:
Hi, thin clouds and the hint of rain today. Warm-ish temps... still not traditional ENSO, and I fully agree w/SlyOnce- hope we get some rain!

Blanca- wow, sandstorms? How's the water temp?

Sounds a bit like the Atacama (northern Chile/southern Peru) and Namib deserts: Both are in mid-latitudes, extremely dry coastal deserts with lots of shifting sands; both typically have cold ocean currents with good pelagic fisheries (sardines/anchovies) offshore.