Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strangest El Nino ever
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 10:04 PM
Strangest El Nino ever

Weather in San Diego today: very warm with a tropical looking cloud system out of the south. No rain in the forecast.

This has become the warmest, driest ENSO I've ever seen...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 10:25 PM

I started just paying attention to El Ninos since 1983-4, and what they all boil down to, both El Ninos and La Ninas (tildes excluded for now) is ALL BETS ARE OFF for 'normal' weather patterns. It's a semi-global event that effects all weather patterns in an 'other-than-normal' way.

It's Mother at her best/worst, but only in a very infinitesimal way. Big to us for now, but ...... could be worse! And, probably will.

*sigh*....... another 22 page thread...... :P

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 08:35 PM

This year, while titled El Nino, is still just barely one.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 08:52 PM

All I know is I am in SW Colorado now down from Mt and I really hope to see an early Monsoon season for the 4 corners and kaliI was born n raised here and spring seems to come earlier every year and the snowpack the last couple yrs has been way low and when that happens everything suffers I got a feeling were going to start seeing a longer fire season as the norm,,In our lifetime

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 09:56 PM

Blackwolf, we had a saying in Bluff, Utah.... "you know when it's springtime in Bluff... all the license plates turn green".

Enjoy the spring in 4 corners, may see you there. I lived there 8 years. Still miss the Fragrant Sand Verbena in bloom at dusk.

86 - 45*

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 03:50 AM

we are already having sandstorms this year and have, after being here for 8 years, installed an air conditioner. It is usually cool to cold here all year long but these el nino years are just brutal.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 05:51 AM

when the pelagic red crabs are washing up on the beaches of SD that's when you know we're having an event! I've only seen it twice.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
All I know is I am in SW Colorado now down from Mt and I really hope to see an early Monsoon season for the 4 corners and kaliI was born n raised here and spring seems to come earlier every year and the snowpack the last couple yrs has been way low and when that happens everything suffers I got a feeling were going to start seeing a longer fire season as the norm,,In our lifetime

During my last 3 years in MT (1950 - 1953) we had our first SNOW fall the first week of Sept. . (LABOR DAY) and the last at the end of May (MEMORIAL DAY). Thank God that Spring lasted the entire month of June, Summer the entire month of July and Fall the entire month of August.

Bob Durrell
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 09:15 AM

Montana (as well as northern Utah, CO, ID, WY etc.) really only have two seasons; winter, and road construction.
(J/K, I do miss the fall colors)

86 - 45*

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 11:16 AM

Water here at the pier was 64 the other day, while not
too uncommon, a guy fishing off Catalina had a sea turtle
swim by

SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 11:39 AM

Here in San Diego/Tijuana all winter long the Yellowtail have been here, and biting. They are eating red crabs. This is not normal in February/March and neither are the 90 degree days we've been having. Last summer was the best fishing in 40 years for pelagic (migratory) species. Even I caught some yellow fin tuna. Water was very warm last summer and remains warm now (for winter).

I hope we get some March rain, for that to happen the high that has been forming over Utah all winter needs to dissipate.

I hope we have another banner fishing summer with BFT, YFT, Yellowtail, and Dorado like last summer. I caught my tuna only 9 miles out of Point Loma (9 mile bank).

Thankfully I live on the beach in Playas, at least that area is reasonably cool. We don't have AC and I don't have it in the car either.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 11:55 AM

Here in San Diego:
Hi, thin clouds and the hint of rain today. Warm-ish temps... still not traditional ENSO, and I fully agree w/SlyOnce- hope we get some rain!

Blanca- wow, sandstorms? How's the water temp?

Sounds a bit like the Atacama (northern Chile/southern Peru) and Namib deserts: Both are in mid-latitudes, extremely dry coastal deserts with lots of shifting sands; both typically have cold ocean currents with good pelagic fisheries (sardines/anchovies) offshore.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.