BajaNomad

2015 Baja Pole Line Road 4x4 Run (April 4th, 5th, 6th - 2015)

Ken Cooke - 4-7-2015 at 05:37 PM

On Saturday morning, our group met in front of the Calexico Pep Boys where Nomads, WranglerForum.com, JustRuns4WDClub, and BajaPoleLineRoad/Facebook people chatted and discussed our challenging 4WD route that lie beyond Mex. Hwy 2.

(Nomads Ed Hall and ChuckMRN talk JEEP and Baja)

(Nomads John M., TW and David K. excited about the big run!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Baja_California_earthquake
After assembling our group, we drove into Mexicali. The area still heavily damaged from the 2010 Baja California earthquake which shook the twin cities of Mexicali and Calexico. Many buildings were not repaired such as this one. I parked in front of 'El Puente' briefly while Joe followed us after getting his Icon Suspension-equipped Tacoma inspected.

New housing beside old lots and foundations in Mexicali

[Edited on 4-8-2015 by Ken Cooke]

Asadero Morlan and the NEW $8 Laguna Salada entry fee!

Ken Cooke - 4-7-2015 at 06:02 PM

After getting turned around in Mexicali, we stopped for gas at a PEMEX station that had plenty of space to serve our group of 9 (out of 15 total) vehicles. From the PEMEX, we drove down HWY 2 about 10 miles and made our way to Progreso for some AMAZING FOOD!

Asadero Morlan, Progreso/Mexicali - Hwy 2

(left to right: Ed Hall, Frigate Bird, Alma, David K order the good stuff)

(Left to right: Agustin, Joe, Ed Hall, Mike H., Sherry, Will)

Sherry has a Coke and a smile!

The crew at Asadero El Morlan really served the best food with a smile!

Each of the four Jeeps on this run have the RUBICON package, making for some mean, crawlin' machines!

The $8 LAGUNA SALADA ENTRY FEE and COHABUZO JUNCTION

Ken Cooke - 4-7-2015 at 06:16 PM

The center of Progreso features this neat building which is getting reinforcements for the next big earthquake.

So, after David K protested at the new LAGUNA SALADA ENTRY FEE, we all got in for $6 instead. I felt like driving around the fence, but what good is it to act the part of the ugly American?

Huitzi and Agustin at COHABUZO JUNCTION enjoy some family time and a few snacks.

One of the rare photos of MICK (left) as he talks to friends and makes new ones from the NOMAD board.

Ed Hall and his red Rubicon. With a 6" Full-Traction long-arm suspension, 35" MT/Rs with Kevlar, a Toys by Troy cage, and a host of Jeep do-dads, Ed's Jeep is all business.

--DENIED ENTRY-- and -- BAJA BREAKDOWN #2

Ken Cooke - 4-7-2015 at 06:28 PM

Our group of 15 4x4s left COHABUZO for the Caņon Alamito - just below the Jamau summit. What a lineup!
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

The drive was long and dusty, but just 3 hours later, we made it to the locked gate below the summit!
[/URL]
[/URL]

Just as we found where we wanted to enter the Pole Line Road, ChuckMRN alerted me that MICK's Ford Ranger was having transmission problems. John M. and friend Ryan decided to drive back to MICK's place where they would tow the wounded Ranger and get the front seal replaced and repaired. So long, amigo...

Entering the POLE LINE ROAD

Ken Cooke - 4-7-2015 at 07:02 PM

The Pole Line Road picks up along an old ranching trail (now), before it reaches an intersection. You must travel through brush approximately 2/3 of a mile before reaching your destination.

Rocks and other obstacles line the trail, and provide dozens of reasons why an "Off Road" vehicle normally does not venture "Off Road" entirely.

Here, David K and HUITZI travel the rough stretch before reaching the more established trail.

The area close to the Summit is stunning. Look at all of the desert foilage, appearing to have been planted by a master gardener decades ago...

Desert for as far as the eye can see...

woody with a view - 4-7-2015 at 07:12 PM

Nice!

Ateo - 4-7-2015 at 08:02 PM

Yeah! I want more!

David K - 4-8-2015 at 08:17 AM

Thanks Ken for the photos... I will get my trip report up soon.

About the new toll gate for the 1/2 mile dirt road to Laguna Salada set up just on weekends: As one who asks questions to get to the truth, I was compelled to question who these people were and what was being provided in exchange for the 100 pesos (which is actually $6.67 at the 15:1 rate being posted in Mexicali or $6.90 at the rate the gas station gave of 14.50:1). It was another one in the group that said tell her to give us a 'group discount', not me... and so $6.00 was agreed, so not a huge discount. My point was the road has been there for ages and she or her family did not make it. I asked what services did people get for the 100 pesos (no palapas, no trash cans, no baņos... just a half mile drive on an old dirt road). She replied pointing to her mouth that she gets to eat with our money! So, it was a good thing we gringos came along so she could eat well that day!

rts551 - 4-8-2015 at 08:35 AM

Her land, her road. She can do what she wants without answering to a gringo. Good thing she was gracious. I know some who would have locked the gate and walked away.

David K - 4-8-2015 at 08:38 AM

Oh, no locking gate and walking away, she wanted the money! We discussed going the graded road, but I was one for using the dry lake bed, and so we went with my suggestion, and the lady made out. A CODE off road race is next weekend, so she will eat well again then!

BajaRun - 4-8-2015 at 09:11 AM

Not to hijack the thread.. Just an observation FWIW.. There is a guy with homemade signs that moves around to different spots in the Valle de Trinidad area (Independencia-Jamau-Vineyard Road) on Baja 500 and Baja 1000 race days. He blocks the trail and demands $5.00 to pass. It is a bs scam!!!

Pardon the interruption. Now back to the Trip Report...

[Edited on 4-8-2015 by BajaRun]

[Edited on 4-8-2015 by BajaRun]

wessongroup - 4-8-2015 at 12:49 PM

Thanks for the trip ... looked like a lot of fun :):)

Has anyone seen these being used yet ....

http://tires.wimp.com/never-go-flat/?utm_source=facebook.com...

A really interesting "tire" IMHO

ehall - 4-8-2015 at 12:54 PM

Just want to thank Ken for planning the trip. I know how much work it takes to organize something like this. Great pics too.

4x4abc - 4-8-2015 at 05:32 PM

same here - thanks for the trip!

A lush springtime along the Pole Line Trail

Ken Cooke - 4-8-2015 at 07:45 PM

First, some proper springtime music!

The entire Caņon Alamito was/is in full bloom. Fragrant blooms of gold and blue along with bright green Ocotillo made for stunning desert vistas, in whichever direction you looked.

Caņon Alamito-area and climbing the 'White Tank'

Ken Cooke - 4-8-2015 at 07:59 PM

A lone water tank sits in a solitary valley between the Alamito and Enmedio canyons. Elite, Alma, and Sherry each decided to climb atop the White Tank and take in the surrounding views.

Elite

Alma

Sherry

Follow the Cobblestone to Jaquegel...

Ken Cooke - 4-8-2015 at 08:18 PM

The Pole Line Road doesn't show its true colors until you enter Caņon Enmedio. There, it shows that rocks can come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Ones that move beneath your vehicle, and ones that point the way to the next obstacle. 73 years of American road building, gone almost forgotten...

Twin Mercedes G500's drive down the first cobblestone grade. Harald and Carl show what their G-Wagons are capable of, while Mike and Joe's Red and White Tacoma's follow the meandering hand laid path.

I stopped for a photograph along the 'Perfect Cobblestone Hill' identified by Neal Johns decades ago, and shared with me in 2004.

Enmedio provided some challenges for everyone! Here, Larry (Lorenzo de Baja) idles his Nissan Diesel pickup through a rock garden.

Alma helped direct the 2015 diesel through the rocky Enmedio.

EHall tackled the rocky Enmedio with gusto!
[/URL]

Mike and Sherry followed in their stock Tacoma - going everywhere the big Jeeps went.

EHall on the rocks!

Elite guided Will through the rocky Enmedio

I got out of my Jeep to guide Larry - to keep those shiny chrome wheels without scratches!

Basketball Hill - EXTREME!

Ken Cooke - 4-8-2015 at 08:33 PM

There are no pictures of Basketball Hill, because it went from 'Moderate' to 'Black Diamond' in just a few short years. A burned out Z71 pickup is tucked away into the hillside, warning drivers of the cost of a misstep up this rain-ravaged trail.

Will and Elite ascend the challenging 'Basketball Hill'

Lorenzo and Alma made it to the top

Huitzi and his Father Agustin cruised to the top in their built JKUnlimited

Joe 'Frigate Bird' made it to the top in his Icon Suspension-equipped Tacoma with flexy camper on top!

Harald '4x4abc' flexing his G-500 easily to the top.

Carl outfitted his G-500 with the new BFGoodrich AT/KO2 tires.

Everyone waiting for David K :!:

Yes, he used his A-Trac to ascend Basketball Hill!

Ladies and Gentlemen, the 2015 Baja Pole Line Group!:bounce:

[Edited on 4-9-2015 by Ken Cooke]

The Enmedio Suzuki ends up in Jaquegel!

Ken Cooke - 4-8-2015 at 08:49 PM

In 2005, this Suzuki could have been hauled out of Caņon Enmedio, rebuilt, and driven home. NOT NOW!:no:

EHall and BajaTrailRider (Lorenzo) look at all of the damage this Zuk suffered at the hands of a nasty flash flood.

Mike also got a good laugh out of the damaged Zuk

The hubs still lock-in as EHall demonstrates

Only 68K miles on the odometer!

Joe uses his 'Selfie-stick' to better film our Suzuki encounter. Our group had some top-notch electronics on this trip. From photography and video equipment to GPS gear, 'Nomads aren't known to skimp!

Ateo - 4-8-2015 at 09:00 PM

What a killer trip!

Neal Johns' 'Bad Hill' goes from 'Bad' to 'Worse'!

Ken Cooke - 4-8-2015 at 09:12 PM

Will experienced electrical problems, and his 90's Bronco was completely DOA as a result. It took the combined efforts of our entire group with Carl pulling the big Bronco down the Bad Hill without proper brakes nor steering!

I will post the video this weekend...

David K - 4-8-2015 at 11:37 PM

Thank you Ken for the photos!

Edit: Here are mine (day 1 of 4 just posted): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78437

[Edited on 4-9-2015 by David K]

PaulW - 4-9-2015 at 06:43 AM

Thanks for the pics
PW

TMW - 4-9-2015 at 06:55 AM

Thanks Ken. It was a fantastic trip with some really good people helping each other along the way. I want to especially thank Chuck for his expert spotting. I had a wonderful time.

Mexitron - 4-9-2015 at 06:59 AM

Wow, you pulled a Bronco thru that...wow. If your truck has any weak spots the Pole Line Road will find them!

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2015 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Wow, you pulled a Bronco thru that...wow. If your truck has any weak spots the Pole Line Road will find them!

Thanks to TW, Carl, Larry, and EHall for the towing they did. It got pretty extreme on the Pole Line Road as a result of the broken-down Bronco on the trail combined with washed out trail.

4x4abc - 4-9-2015 at 05:49 PM

did not notice anything extreme on our trip - or was it that difficult for Jeeps?

David K - 4-9-2015 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
did not notice anything extreme on our trip - or was it that difficult for Jeeps?

:lol: :lol::wow::cool:

Extreme Bronco pull to Hwy 5

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2015 at 06:23 PM

The Pole Line group had to rebuild a section of road that was washed out during recent rains across the region. EHall's RUBICON drove straight up a steep drop off, but many of the vehicles could not handle such a steep grade. For example, Will's Bronco needed to be pulled to Hwy 5.

Joe 'Frigatebird' driving up the Pole Line washout with Chuck spotting

Huitzi and Will stabilize Frigatebirds Tacoma

The 2015 Baja Pole Line Run was a great success. Although, there were some breakdowns, the run was fun, the weather pleasant, and the excitement level ran high thanks to everyone's hard work at getting Will and his Bronco back to civilization. Thanks to MICK for your hard work and hospitality in putting Will's Bronco back together and feeding his crew!

4x4abc - 4-9-2015 at 06:29 PM

why do you need to stabilize a level vehicle?

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2015 at 06:32 PM

Pulling the Bronco behind a tire-spinning pickup up steep inclines wasn't exactly mild. EHall's RUBICON hooked up the pickup and the two vehicles pulled the Bronco in tandem. It got pretty wild. EHall's RUBICON pulled serious hillclimb duty. Not a problem for his Jeep.:yes:

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2015 at 06:34 PM

why do you need to stabilize a level vehicle?

Free ride back to the RUBICON.:light:

4x4abc - 4-9-2015 at 06:42 PM

you should do the Rubicon Trail one day, Ken (and that's only moderately difficult - not extreme). PLR was mild wheeling.

The pulling was quite entertaining though.

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2015 at 07:00 PM

I would like to run the Rubicon trail. I might get altitude sickness, though. I always do.

ehall - 4-9-2015 at 07:54 PM

Rubicon is fun and I highly recommend the jeepers jamboree. They take real good care of you.

Taco de Baja - 4-10-2015 at 08:00 AM

Looks like a fun trip, aside from the break down....
Thanks for taking us along with the photos.

David K - 4-11-2015 at 08:38 AM

you should do the Rubicon Trail one day, Ken (and that's only moderately difficult - not extreme). PLR was mild wheeling.

The pulling was quite entertaining though.

In all fairness, this was not a mild wheeling for most of us... I know you have done far more extreme four wheeling (and I loved the book you wrote, even if I don't read German).

When an 'Off Road' model truck has some body damage and the severe scratching from brush and trees, requires spotting to drive over or through rocks, and most of the run done in low range 4WD, it rates up there when compared to other Baja dirt roads. Only the road to Mission Santa Maria was more difficult, and not by much...

I am just making this point so other Nomads don't do this run alone or with a stock rig and expect a mild run. Lockers or 4WD Traction Control, good tires aired down, and experience is required for the Pole Line Road, IMO. Here are three photos of the 'mild' road I was able to take:

[Edited on 1-9-2022 by David K]

Condensed Trip Report

Ken Cooke - 4-12-2015 at 09:43 PM

On Saturday, April 4th a group of Jeeps and Toyota Tacomas met in Calexico for a three-day run in the scenic desert just outside of Mexicali, Baja California. After crossing the US/Mexico border, and getting some of the best grilled Mexican food along Hwy 2 at Asadero El Morlan, our group headed to Cohabuzo Junction where our numbers swelled to 15 vehicles. Our group of Tacomas and 4 Rubicons was joined by a Ford Ranger, a big Bronco, a 70s full-size Blazer, and two Mercedes Benz G-Wagons that traveled north from La Paz, Baja California!

Our first objective was to reach the entrance of the abandoned telephone line road that was constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1942 as a communications link for the U.S. in the event of German Submarines attacking the U.S. from the Colorado River. We reached our camping location below Portezuelo de Jamau. Cold winds howled all night long, letting up at sunrise where our group was treated with a discussion of the Missions of Alta and Baja California by Author David Kier. He presented his book, "The Old Missions of Baja and Alta California" [https://www.facebook.com/oldmissions] to our group while three vehicles had to return to Rio Hardy due to a leaking transmission gasket on the Ford Ranger on 35s. Now, down to 12 vehicles, we entered the Pole Line Road, traveling the forgotten hand-laid path built by U.S. Troops that begins at the crest of a hill above Caņon Enmedio, and follows the rough and rocky canyon to the big obstacle of the day - BASKETBALL HILL.

Recent rainstorms have claimed sections of Basketball Hill, turning it into a semi-serious hillclimb with 2' deep ruts, washouts, 3' and 4' rocks and a burnt-out Z-71 pickup near the top of the hill for added entertainment value! Our group of 12 vehicles competently made the climb to the top of the Hill before descending into Cowboy Canyon and the massive Jaquegel Canyon below it. Telephone poles line the route - some cut down by ranchers, others left idle for 73 years. As the telephone road crossed the lower Jaquegel Canyon, the crushed Suzuki Samurai that once graced the lower Enmedio Canyon just below Basketball Hill could be seen - all smashed like it entered a trash compactor! Our group stopped to take photos and marvel at the size of this little Suzuki - parts of it still intact. We continued to reach the end of the trail and possibly Rio Hardy for our evening at Mick's river house. As we traveled a tall mesa named, "Bad Hill" by Pole Line researcher and military veteran Neal Johns, the big Bronco lost its entire ignition system. Without spare parts for the aftermarket system, two vehicles returned to the Suzuki in hopes that the distributor would fire up the Bronco. No doing.

With the heavy-gauge Teraflex yank-strap I keep in my Jeep at all times, Will's Bronco was yanked by Karl's G-500 Mercedes down "Bad Hill!" Caught on video for all to see, this spectacle ended our day at dusk in the Jaguqel wash where we turned in for the night. Early the next day, we had realized that our road had washed out! With no way to return to Hwy 5, Ed Hall's TJ Rubicon took for the sandy wash at daybreak where he determined that our only way out to Mexicali would be to rebuild our washed out road! With a pick, shovels and determination, our group of six determined laborers (myself included) shoved and stacked rocks for the next hour and a half. We took a road with a 26 degree slant, and leveled it in order that the Tacoma with a pop-up camper and the big Bronco being pulled (now) by a Tacoma could make the grade (literally). With some tire-spin, Tom Wimberly's Tacoma pulled the big Bronco up the connecting road and away from possible disaster.

Our normal route to Ejido Jose Saldaņa had been washed away by the winter storms that claimed the entire lower Jaquegel wash. Our only way to Mex Hwy 5 was Arroyo Grande. Larry's Mexico-only Nissan Diesel pulled the big Bronco throughout mid-day, ending up at La Ventana at 3:30 pm. We aired up our tires, and I also aired up Will's Baja Claw's for his tow back to MICK's house 20 miles up the hwy near Campo Mosqueda. With a Bronco in the campo to scavenge from, Will's truck was up and running for his drive back to Rosarito Beach that evening with friend Larry and their two seņoritas.

Everyone on the trip had a wonderful time. Through hardcore teamwork, we accomplished the impossible. A dead Bronco was brought back to life thanks to a trail-tested yank strap, a Tacoma kept the Bronco from going off of a cliff, and our group of U.S.-bound travelers crossed the border on a Monday afternoon into Calexico before 6 pm! We all had an unforgettable time that will have to one day be repeated south of the border on the Baja Pole Line Road.

David K - 4-13-2015 at 08:14 AM

Looking forward to the video and the GoPro film from in front of Chuck's Jeep! He was behind me some of the time, so maybe I will see what rock hit my bumper and tweaked it a little?

4x4abc - 4-13-2015 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Looking forward to the video and the GoPro film from in front of Chuck's Jeep! He was behind me some of the time, so maybe I will see what rock hit my bumper and tweaked it a little?

we have the same phenomenon on the Rubicon Trail - some rocks seem to be alive. They attack you when you are not watching. I have had trees kick dents into my doors. Needs to be studied!
Maybe the video helps.

However, you might get accused of causing harm to those endemic rocks.

David K - 4-13-2015 at 03:41 PM

Rocks, like un-removed trash from 1942 is more important to some than people alive today.

David K - 4-14-2015 at 09:18 AM

Here are the people alive today who experienced history on Ken Cooke's 4WD run on the Pole Line Road, taken from my camera...

[Edited on 1-9-2022 by David K]

bajatrailrider - 4-14-2015 at 11:18 AM

David Your great write up,pictures.Is making me relive the whole trip.Also great advice from Harold on 4x4ing on this trip.Im not new at this,but first time .Group 4x4 trip for me,since my 67Dodge power wagon.

4x4abc - 4-14-2015 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
David Your great write up,pictures.Is making me relive the whole trip.Also great advice from Harold on 4x4ing on this trip.Im not new at this,but first time .Group 4x4 trip for me,since my 67Dodge power wagon.

Larry, did you drive the diesel?

David K - 4-14-2015 at 01:51 PM

Larry, did you drive the diesel?

Yes Harald, he did... and it was Mike and Sheri (who I don't think are Nomads?) who had the red Tacoma with canvas shell over the bed.

[Edited on 12-1-2016 by David K]

Fernweh - 4-14-2015 at 03:41 PM

Just too many people....and too many names :-)

David K - 4-14-2015 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
Just too many people....and too many names :-)

Just 16 Karl... not too big... and down to 4 in Arroyo Grande!

It was fun, both places for me!

Viva Baja!

[Edited on 4-14-2015 by David K]

bajatrailrider - 4-14-2015 at 07:11 PM

Yes Harald I drove the Mexican Diesel.Remember the part,we shoveled washed out road.At the top you told me,I did not do it right too,fast.Thank you all good info from you,You are very knowledgeable.At the bottom the truck was in Low range.By mistake,I put the truck in Third gear.Took off never knew the difference. You caught it,Ha sharp eyes Harald.It was great meeting you.Im still cracking up from looking in my rear view mirror at Wils face.Towing him in the sand wash.

ChuckMRN - 4-14-2015 at 07:36 PM

Haven't forgotten about the vid.. I got 40 plus min of footage down to 21 right now. Got to get closer to 15 to make youtube happy. On day 7 straight at work, so hope to get this together on the weekend! Thanks for all the great pic's and write-up. This group of folks made my first driving trip to Baja a great one for sure. The location was epic, but all you folks are what bring people like me back.

Thank you, Chuck

4x4abc - 4-14-2015 at 07:46 PM

Yes Harald I drove the Mexican Diesel.Remember the part,we shoveled washed out road.At the top you told me,I did not do it right too,fast.Thank you all good info from you,You are very knowledgeable.At the bottom the truck was in Low range.By mistake,I put the truck in Third gear.Took off never knew the difference. You caught it,Ha sharp eyes Harald.It was great meeting you.Im still cracking up from looking in my rear view mirror at Wils face.Towing him in the sand wash.

Pleasure meeting you, Larry!
I started exploring Baja in a Diesel in 1986 - Diesels rule!
However, I found out that the harmonics of a diesel engine put me to sleep.
Not good when driving long distance.
So I had to switch to a gasser.
Love it!

4x4abc - 4-14-2015 at 07:50 PM

Chuck, I love when people know what they are doing.
Your truck was a prime example.
Your driving style as well.
Hope to see you again.

David K - 4-15-2015 at 05:41 PM

Ken, this is the Jeep that the Pole Line Road was built for (with a few modern mods and a V-8):

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1505-1943-willys-jeep-re...

Ken Cooke - 4-21-2015 at 09:39 PM

I loved this video. Thanks to Chuck for posting this on his YouTube page!

David K - 4-21-2015 at 10:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChuckMRN  

Haven't forgotten about the vid.. I got 40 plus min of footage down to 21 right now. Got to get closer to 15 to make youtube happy. On day 7 straight at work, so hope to get this together on the weekend! Thanks for all the great pic's and write-up. This group of folks made my first driving trip to Baja a great one for sure. The location was epic, but all you folks are what bring people like me back.

Thank you, Chuck

We would love to see the out-takes that din't make the 13 minute cut, should you piece a part 2 video together! If you want the files for the photos I took of you holding the insulator you found, your Jeep on the run, etc. drop me an email... info AT vivabaja.com goes to my hotmail in-box.

Ken Cooke - 5-1-2015 at 07:06 PM

I still have my video to upload to YouTube. My laptop power cord isn't working, so I will have to do all edits from my desktop computer - or, the MacBook. Please stay tuned...

David K - 5-2-2015 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I still have my video to upload to YouTube. My laptop power cord isn't working, so I will have to do all edits from my desktop computer - or, the MacBook. Please stay tuned...

Can't wait... !