BajaNomad

The Desert Hawks need your help........ *** Update ***

BajaCactus - 4-20-2015 at 12:59 AM

The Desert Hawks (Halcones Del Desierto) has made a big difference in the aid that travelers and residents have received along Highway 1, both before and after El Rosario, Baja California. We have two operations: The Emergency Medical Services and the Fire and Rescue Department, which is very new.

Most of our Medical, Fire and Rescue services are on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HalconesdelDesierto which can also be reach via www.deserthawksrescue.com

Our Emergency Medical Services have been in operation for about 2 years. Our only ambulance has now made over 200 calls from minor injuries to life saving rescues.

The Fire and Rescue Department is relatively new but has already been called on to put out 6 fires that could have spread and threatened homes and individuals.

About a month ago, final installation was done of a VHF 2-Meter Radio Repeater on top of the Mesa of El Rosario. This allows us radio coverage up to 60 miles north and 50 miles south of El Rosario, which in turn help us to more quickly respond to calls and communicate with doctors and hospitals to get the best possible care.

The Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue have now been offered through aid groups in the U.S. and some dedicated individuals the following items.

1) An Ambulance… We currently have an ambulance but can only take one injured party, possibly a second if the party's injury is not serious. A second ambulance would gives us more flexibility, can operate if the other ambulance is out of service, and can respond to accidents involving multiple injuries.
2) The Jaws of Life… This is extrication equipment that can cut open a vehicle and allow us access to an injured individual and get them to a hospital and possibly save a life.
3) A Mini Pumper/Rescue Rig… This is a vehicle that can quickly carry and deploy rescue equipment and tools to any accident, like the Jaws of Life. It can also pump water and can respond to wild land fires and/or to structural fires in homes or businesses that have difficult access which our large fire truck cannot respond.
4) A Water Tender… This is a rig that transports 1,500 gallons of water. El Rosario has no fire hydrants and all water must be brought to the site. The Water Tender can be used in conjunction with the fire engine or the Mini Pumper/Rescue Rig.
5) SCBA… These are Self Contained Breathing Apparatuses used by Fire Fighters to enter a burning building to either save lives or help with putting out a fire.

We normally hope to get some of this type of equipment over time. This time, it's all available at once. Some of the equipment is in the State of Washington, some in Northern California. In the case of the Jaws of Life, unfortunately the main pump was not functional so we needed to send it to a certified service center to have it repaired.

The major costs we are facing are:

1. Pump Repair........................................$ 1,250.00
  2. Rescue Rig Purchase.............................$ 1,000.00
  3. Fuel to Bring 3 Vehicles to Baja..............$ 1,382.50
  4. Travel & Hotel Costs to Pick up Vehicles...$ 1,470.00

Total..................................................$ 5,102.50

The Desert Hawks and its parent organizations, “Commitment, Inc.” in the U.S. and “Fundación Commitment International, A.C.” in Mexico have about $ 2,500.00 in funds to pay for the above. We hereby ask if anyone can give a little to help. If we can get all of this equipment to El Rosario, all of us, living in El Rosario or driving down Highway 1 near El Rosario will feel more secure that in the case of an emergency, help is available and your life could be saved.

Will you help us and possibly yourself?

A tax-deductible donation in the US or Mexico can be made through PayPal, the Desert Hawks Facebook Page or by sending a check to:

Commitment, Inc
P.O. Box 178309
San Diego, CA 92177

In Mexico we can also receive donations through:

Our Bank acount at Bancomer
Fundación Commitment International, A.C.
or
Personally at BajaCactus in El Rosario

Besides the above, the Desert Hawks have purchased some land across the street from the Pemex Gas Station in El Rosario (BajaCactus). Work has begun on a long-term project to make this the future home of the Desert Hawks.

We wish to thank all of you who have given generously in the past. It has been an honor to make your Baja experience safer for both our visitors from afar and our fellow citizens. We hope that with our expanded services, we have earned your continued support.

The Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue Team
Together we can save lives... Together, we can make a difference!!!
Email Desert Hawks

[Edited on 5-22-2015 by BajaCactus]

woody with a view - 4-20-2015 at 06:32 AM

Antonio, check Paypal. Mas Olas just donated in the name of our friend, Elsa!

Thank you!

[Edited on 4-20-2015 by woody with a view]

rhintransit - 4-20-2015 at 06:46 AM

Another PayPal contribution on the way, Antonio. Sent to Commitment, Inc just now.

rts551 - 4-20-2015 at 07:00 AM

good job ANtonio. Paypal on the way.

volcano - 4-20-2015 at 07:17 AM

just donated $250....hope I never have to use their services on the way thru.....but just in case....

CaboMagic - 4-20-2015 at 07:54 AM

Thank you for your dedication Antonio and all ..

Our contribution made by Paypal. T&L

Ateo - 4-20-2015 at 08:03 AM

Let's keep this going................a more than worthy cause. Donation made, let me know if it doesn't come thru.

And as a reminder, post Tax day, every donation can be written off each April 15th!

David K - 4-20-2015 at 08:13 AM

Since 2004, Antonio continues to be a super Nomad, even if he doesn't post often. Please support his Baja Cactus Pemex and Motel in El Rosario, as well. He is an honest, hard working man who goes way out of his way to help others in need... he always has, as many Nomads can testify to.

Baja Nomads are people helping people, as Baja Bernie used to say here before he passed away.

Mula - 4-20-2015 at 08:23 AM

Another Paypal donation on it's way.

TMW - 4-20-2015 at 08:43 AM

Ditto another PP donation.

DENNIS - 4-20-2015 at 08:46 AM

Jeeezo...I just priced a "Jaws for Life" and found one on sale for around 7500 dlls. that was about 4000 off the window sticker price. It aint cheap to be a good guy.
Any firemen out there that can look into some used equipment?

ncampion - 4-20-2015 at 09:21 AM

PayPal sent, thanks Antonio, hope to see you soon at BC.

rdrrm8e - 4-20-2015 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Jeeezo...I just priced a "Jaws for Life" and found one on sale for around 7500 dlls. that was about 4000 off the window sticker price. It aint cheap to be a good guy.
Any firemen out there that can look into some used equipment?

I am looking into it now Dennis.

I will also post this on BD.

Good deeds deserve support. Good work Falcons.

Robinhood - 4-20-2015 at 01:05 PM

Pay-Pal'd a little to your kitty.

Good luck.

bajaandy - 4-20-2015 at 04:41 PM

PayPal donation sent. Keep up the good work Antonio!

BajaCactus - 4-20-2015 at 04:49 PM

Just another accident: Desert Hawks Facebook

Our EMT's are out attending a motorcycle rider who had an accident on the highway, north of El Rosario. Patient does not have any feelings on his low extremities... does not look good. Our volunteers most probably will have to bring him all the way to the US border.

Thank you for all your help and support.

Antonio Muñoz
Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue

rts551 - 4-20-2015 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaCactus  
Just another accident: Desert Hawks Facebook

Our EMT's are out attending a motorcycle rider who had an accident on the highway, north of El Rosario. Patient does not have any feelings on his low extremities... does not look good. Our volunteers most probably will have to bring him all the way to the US border.

Thank you for all your help and support.

Antonio Muñoz

This could be you some day. Pls provide donations...not just words of support! I am also aware that Antonio is helping others to bring much needed equipment to Baja Sur.

rts551 - 4-21-2015 at 09:27 AM

Bump for a good cause

MMc - 4-21-2015 at 11:51 AM

This needs to be at the top of the page.
Any news at to how much has been raised?

elgatoloco - 4-21-2015 at 12:32 PM

Commitment is a fitting moniker for all that your organization does! Happy to help and hoping I never need your assistance. Keep up the good work.

Viva Baja Cactus!

rhintransit - 4-22-2015 at 05:41 AM

this keep this one near the top!
Antonio...any update on how the fund raising is going?
hope others are pitching in to this very worthwhile cause.

MMc - 4-22-2015 at 09:12 AM

bump.

rts551 - 4-22-2015 at 11:04 AM

As of yesterday Halcones was not there yet.

horntoad - 4-22-2015 at 11:15 AM

PayPal sent...your organization is a fantastic grass roots effort to help all that travel the isolated parts of highway 1, as well as, the people of El Rosario. :) Mil Gracias!

BajaCactus - 4-22-2015 at 03:07 PM

Dear BajaNomad friends... Your response to our request for help has been amazing. You stepped forward to our aid and, in three days, we are now only $1,000 dlls away from our goal.

We already paid for the Rescue Rig/Mini Pumper and right now we are trying to move it from Northern California to San Diego, unfortunately we did not anticipate having problems getting a temporary car insurance for the couple of days drive. We are looking into other options like a rental trailer, so our initial estimate might end a little bit higher than expected due to this.

With your support you are enabling us to be always ready to help anyone in distress in El Rosario area. Every dollar you so graciously donate will be directly applied to help people.

We appreciate your help, support and uplifting comments... Together we can save lives!!!

Antonio Munoz
Non Profit Organization

[Edited on 4-23-2015 by BajaCactus]

rts551 - 4-22-2015 at 03:21 PM

You needed 5000. You had 2500. So the fund raiser in El Rosario, Facebook and NOMADS, raised 1500 more?....

OK I can give more.

MMc - 4-22-2015 at 08:11 PM

This needs to be at the top of the page.

rts551 - 4-23-2015 at 06:56 AM

Bump

Desert Hawks

John M - 4-23-2015 at 09:00 AM

Keep up the great service Antonio

We were able to help a little. PayPal donation went to Commitment.

John and Barbara Marnell

MMc - 4-23-2015 at 05:49 PM

Anybody that drives in the middle of Baja should be supporting this!

Salsa - 4-23-2015 at 08:50 PM

You are $100 closer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

bing/bump/ding a ding

captkw - 4-23-2015 at 11:16 PM

rts551 - 4-24-2015 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Anybody that drives in the middle of Baja should be supporting this!

YES. every little bit helps. Too bad we can not tax the posters here:lol:

Whale-ista - 4-24-2015 at 09:09 AM

Daily bump (+just contributed to Commitment)

Agree with others: better to support your services and never need them, vs., well, you know...

Thanks for what you do!

rts551 - 4-24-2015 at 02:57 PM

10 dollars won't be hard. come on guys

Santiago - 4-24-2015 at 05:05 PM

I'm in.

Jaws of Life

BajaCactus - 4-24-2015 at 06:25 PM

Dear BajaNomad friends...

With pleasure we announced that, thanks to your help, the Jaws of Life are now in El Rosario after being repaired at the "Diamondback Fire & Rescue" AMKUS service center in Temecula, Ca.

A full tune up was also done and according to the service center, if taken of care of properly, they still have at least 15 years of life in them.

Our special thanks to our friend Bob Batte, retired Fire Chief Captain from Oregon who helped us get that extrication equipment donated and also who had previously trained our volunteers in the use of them.

Goal one achieved my friends: Jaws of Life fully operational in El Rosario!!!

20150423_191224.jpg - 37kB 20150423_191331.jpg - 34kB

[Edited on 4-25-2015 by BajaCactus]

woody with a view - 4-24-2015 at 06:50 PM

Training is job #1.

There is no substitute for training.....

rts551 - 4-24-2015 at 06:56 PM

A very necessary piece of equipment. Antonio, how are you doing on the other equipment? I know there are some people that have not donated and would just love to help. The life they save may be their own.

David K - 4-25-2015 at 12:47 AM

I think El Rosario should be renamed San Antonio! What wonderful results you have worked so hard for!

:light::bounce::coolup:

bajabuddha - 4-25-2015 at 06:01 AM

Don Antonio,
I laud and applaud what you're doing. 17 years ago I was on the ground floor of 'building a fire department' in the middle of nowhere, scrounging new stuff, repairing old, building and expanding, for a very small town with miles of open range in every direction; very isolated.

I went on to trainings, and was certified in the Jaws of Life.... one thing to put on your wish list if you haven't yet are air-bags for cribbing; worth their weight in gold. Also a good stack of 3' to 4' lengths of 4"x4'' to compliment are extremely valuable. I don't know the cost of the air bags, but after a 3 - day seminar and dozens of chopped up vehicles, we used those bags extensively, especially in roll-over and entrapment situations.

Anyone stopping in Ensenada on the way south, drop off some 4x4's that can be cut up and stacked in a 'brush truck' (or where you carry your Jaws). Saves lives, and crew as well. Buena Suerte, Bomberos!

I'm in a place now I can't help financially, but this too shall change. Good luck on your acquisitions and trainings. Wish I could help more.... future is just around the corner.

rhintransit - 4-25-2015 at 08:34 AM

great news! and more to come, thanks to all the donors and future donors who read this. none of us want to ever need your services but preparing you to serve whomever does is priceless.

Rescue Rig paid for...

BajaCactus - 4-25-2015 at 02:00 PM

The Rescue Rig has been paid for ($1,000 dollars) and it is on its way to El Rosario from Trinity Center in Northern California. Second objective on the process.

We are also doing fund raising activities in El Rosario right now. Our volunteers motivation is very high.

Thank you for all your support... together we can save lives!!!

Rescue Rig.jpg - 43kB

Collecting April 25th, 2015.jpg - 48kB

[Edited on 4-25-2015 by BajaCactus]

rts551 - 4-25-2015 at 05:05 PM

Thanks Antonio. Keep the updates coming. I know there are some who have not contributed.

Whale-ista - 4-25-2015 at 05:15 PM

Thank you for the updates and information about your efforts & progress. We appreciate all your work.

MMc - 4-26-2015 at 07:29 AM

Antonio, that rig looks great, I hope to never see the inside. When you give, you get a very nice letter for the tax guy. Keep up the good work.

shari - 4-26-2015 at 07:43 AM

right you are MMc...every little bit helps!!! This is like passing through those Red Cross stops where you put some pesos in their cans...just in case!

mil gracias Antonio por todo que haz hecho!!!!

rts551 - 4-26-2015 at 07:58 AM

wonder if there is a way we can turn those letters off so they can save the stamp if you do not need it.

healthdetective - 4-26-2015 at 07:54 PM

Antonio

Another donation is headed your way.

Thank you for doing what you do!

rts551 - 4-27-2015 at 09:29 AM

Bump. and read this thread.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78630

MMc - 4-27-2015 at 04:45 PM

Agree with not getting a letter. Some folks like to declare it on taxes,I haven't much for tax reasons, I think doing right is good enough.
Like bumping this to the top. Please feel free to give!!!

Rescue Rig to El Rosario

a-commit - 4-29-2015 at 09:37 PM

I represent the U.S. side of Commitment. On Monday, April 27, I delivered the Mini-Pumper/Rescue Rig to El Rosario. Antonio Munoz was in another vehicle delivering supplies to his gas station and hotel. We also stopped at San Quintin to give some fire equipment to the fire station there.

The rescue rig was well received by the Desert Hawk volunteers who met us when we arrived in El Rosario. The vehicle has 4WD, can carry 250 gallons of water, has a pumping unit on it, a winch, a portable generator. It is built to handle wild fires but will prove valuable in getting around El Rosario in tight spaces and narrow streets. It will be able to transport the Jaws of Life and provide much needed flexibility to the Desert Hawks to respond to emergencies.

After we arrived on Monday night, the Desert Hawks were called on an emergency. Antonio asked if I would join him and Isela to go to the eastern part of El Rosario to help a woman in need. The woman was quickly diagnosed with a CVE or Cerebral Vascular Event which could involve an embolism or blockage and if untreated could cause paralysis or worse. The individual was placed in the ambulance and administered oxygen. A call was placed to the Central Medical office to get some medication to help stabilize the patient. In the meantime, Isela could not accompany us to San Quintin and quickly called for help and got two other EMTs to respond named Karely and Fenkia to take her place. The trip to San Quintin was routine.
Karely and Fenkia did regular updates on the patient, which is needed by the doctor, checking her pulse, blood pressure, oxygen levels etc. The patient responded to the treatment and the TLC. When we arrived at San Quintin, the doctor analyzed the information and determined the patient had to be moved to Ensenada. After further stabilization, the patient was placed in another ambulance. We are waiting on word on her condition.

The Desert Hawks returned to El Rosario after 1:00 AM in the morning with full knowledge and satisfaction that they had done all they could. Before the Desert Hawks, a patient like this would have been taken by car to San Quintin. The lack of oxygen and medication would likely have resulted in a negative outcome. The Desert Hawks are making a big difference. The community has responded positively to their presence.

It was a rewarding trip to see how well the Desert Hawks work together as a team. Everyone know their role and they do their work quickly and as efficiently as possible.

I would like to thank the Baja Nomads for their support and contributions that make doing this kind of work possible. It is good for all of you to know that when you travel in Desert Hawk country, "When you are passing through, the Desert Hawks are looking out for you"

You make mention of saving a stamp. Acknowledgement letters can be sent by email. To qualify for a tax deduction, an official letter needs to be sent out. While not everyone does itemized returns, we feel it is best to acknowledge their contribution. The stamps are donated to Commitment.
Muchimas Gracias and Thanks to all.

woody with a view - 4-30-2015 at 04:04 AM

Thanks for helping, Andy!

rts551 - 4-30-2015 at 06:40 AM

Thanks , Was going to use my Paypal receipt for tax purposes. Just trying to save you time and money. if easier to send it, do so by all means. What ever is easiest for you guys. Keep up the good work.

[Edited on 4-30-2015 by rts551]

El Comadante Loco - 4-30-2015 at 09:38 PM

I never hope to use your services but Pay Pal on its way

Thanks for all you great work...

El Comadante Loco - 4-30-2015 at 09:41 PM

oops I hope to never use your services

Must have been a slip

[b]CONTRIBUTE[/b]

El Comadante Loco - 5-1-2015 at 11:08 AM

I happen to notice that there are more than 2000 views on this thread but something escapes me that there does not seem to be an over abundance of contributors.. Come on Nomads the life save by Desert Hawks could be your own.
Every donation is important no matter the amount and serves a worthy cause. Please step up to the plate and donate.

Has an update been posted on how much has been collected and how much more is needed...

Reach into your pocket and give it is easy with Pay Pal

tripledigitken - 5-1-2015 at 11:20 AM

Many donate to causes here anonymously, I'm sure that's the case here. I agree it's a very worthy cause.

Quote: Originally posted by El Comadante Loco  
I happen to notice that there are more than 2000 views on this thread but something escapes me that there does not seem to be an over abundance of contributors.. Come on Nomads the life save by Desert Hawks could be your own.
Every donation is important no matter the amount and serves a worthy cause. Please step up to the plate and donate.

Has an update been posted on how much has been collected and how much more is needed...

Reach into your pocket and give it is easy with Pay Pal

DianaT - 5-1-2015 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  

Many donate to causes here anonymously, I'm sure that's the case here. I agree it's a very worthy cause.

Yes

[Edited on 5-1-2015 by DianaT]

El Comadante Loco - 5-1-2015 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  

Yes

I hope so and will take that as very positive.

[Edited on 5-1-2015 by DianaT]

rts551 - 5-1-2015 at 03:49 PM

Hard to be anon with Paypal .... but if you get the chance you can give anon at the motel or gas station.

re."anon. paypal donations"

tripledigitken - 5-1-2015 at 04:01 PM

Ralph,

I was responding to El Comandante Loco's comment,

"I happen to notice that there are more than 2000 views on this thread but something escapes me that there does not seem to be an over abundance of contributors.. Come on Nomads the life save by Desert Hawks could be your own."

His observation was so few in this post had mentioned they made a contribution.

To my knowledge when making a paypal transaction only the recipient and the donor, of course, are aware of the transaction. No one reading this thread would be aware, except the recipients.

Stopping at the Baja Cactus hotel/gas station is a great option as well!!

Ken

[Edited on 5-1-2015 by tripledigitken]

rts551 - 5-1-2015 at 04:06 PM

Yes Ken. You are absolutely correct. good way to keep this in everyone's face. I am personaly surprised between his El Rosario fundraiser and internet (facebook and NOMADS) campaign that he has not already raised $2500.

El Comadante Loco - 5-1-2015 at 04:46 PM

I understand that some may wish to remain anonymous and fully respect that.

I think it is time to have Antonio to post un update on the funds
raised and if more is needed I am willing to contribute more.....

woody with a view - 5-1-2015 at 06:06 PM

Give until it hurts!

churro - 5-1-2015 at 11:06 PM

Count me in!

Rescue Rig / Mini Pumper...

BajaCactus - 5-2-2015 at 01:17 PM

Dear BajaNomad friends...

After a lot of work and effort we were finally able to bring the Rescue Rig to El Rosario this past week. Our special thanks and applause to our dear friend John Hall ("bajamedic" here on BajaNomad) who not only found and negotiated this emergency vehicle for us but also brought it all the way down to San Diego, CA.

Unfortunately we were unable to find a proper temporal insurance for it, so we could not drive it down to San Diego. We had to rent a haul trailer which cost us $250 dollars more than we had initially considered.

Nevertheless, because the amazing response of all of you this did not stopped us and we kept moving forward.

The Rescue Rig is a 1978 GMC 3500 with 30,000+ original miles, is 4wd, has an integrated water pump, a 250 gallon capacity tank, a winch, portable generator and lots of cabinets for tools. Also has the space needed to retrieve an injured individual out from hard to reach places were an ambulance cannot enter.

Among other things, with this unit Desert Hawks now has the ability to move the Jaws of Life to wherever they are required, can attack any fire where our fire engine will not enter and do search and rescue operations in off road terrain.

In the days after we received it, our volunteers have been working on the vehicle, giving it some love and little by little bringing it to full operational status once again. It should be ready for action within the next 10 days.

Goal 2: Rescue Rig/Mini Pumper achieved!!!

In the next few days we will consolidate our information from both accounts of Commitment in the US and Mexico and will get back here with the results so we can know if we are ready for the next stage: the second ambulance and the water tender waiting for us in Washington State.

Our thanks and appreciation to all of you, without your help and support none of this could be possible... Together we can save lives!!!

At Trinity Center.jpg - 47kB At San Diego.jpg - 44kB Thanks John and Vern.jpg - 45kB On its way to El Rosario.jpg - 44kB We have done it... Thank you!!!.jpg - 48kB

Ateo - 5-2-2015 at 01:32 PM

So awesome. Thanks for the update Antonio.

MMc - 5-2-2015 at 11:40 PM

BUMP, TO DE BUMP, TO DE BUMP, TO DE BUMP, BUMP, BUMP!!!!

David K - 5-3-2015 at 07:30 AM

Great news amigo!!!:bounce:

[Edited on 5-5-2015 by David K]

John M - 5-5-2015 at 11:51 AM

;););););)

Desert Hawks fund raising goal reached...

BajaCactus - 5-10-2015 at 01:41 PM

The Desert Hawks would like to thank all the Baja Nomads who have helped raise money to bring more vehicles and equipment to El Rosario. Our goal for the moment has been reached.

The Desert Hawks are a non-profit charity and will always have a need for funds. We desire to only approach our Baja Nomads friends when there is a significant need or major new items have to be purchased or secured. The Desert Hawks hold various events in El Rosario to raise money for its day to days needs such as fuel, auto parts for maintenance, oxygen, bandages and other disposable rescue/medical supplies.

Communications... We are constantly looking to upgrade our services and are working with other rescue groups, both north and south of El Rosario, to bring the level of service as high as possible. Yesterday, Antonio met with a company that maintains a 2-meter radio system. There are two companies that do this in the central part of the peninsula. This particular company had been our first choice for a 2-meter system. It turns out the company was in the process of upgrading their system from analog to digital, which has the ability to enable communications from Ensenada to San Ignacio, BCS. The company was not ready for us but now it is. Some quick phone calls to a couple of large local organizations has secured the Desert Hawks a donation of some new digital radios which will allow us to use the new system. This is a first step to hopefully, in the near future, bring more of the rescue groups online to improve the service for all travelers. Possibly, in the future we will approach the Baja Nomads to help us expand the system so that any individual in the central part of Baja will be able to call in case of an emergency and get help as fast as possible.

Training... We are also looking to continue the training needed by our firefighters and EMT personnel so they can respond to as many different kinds of emergencies in the most efficient and professional way as possible. We have the ability to get more training out of El Rosario, the lack of a large vehicle to transport our volunteers to San Quintin, Colonia Guerrero, Ensenada and/or Tijuana is holding us back. We first need to secure the additional ambulance, water tender and SCBA's waiting for us in Washington States and bring them down to El Rosario before starting on yet another major project.

Desert Hawks Base Station... We are also looking forward to build our new home across the street from the gas station. Some work has been started, but the individual helping to do the site preparation was offered a position and is temporarily unavailable. The lack of equipment and qualified personnel can make many jobs much tougher that they appear. This will eventually also become a major project.

Trauma Unit... Another thing we would like to have, but will need government help on, is a well equipped, functioning trauma unit in El Rosario. We constantly risk losing a seriously injured patient due to the lack of a trauma unit and long distances to the nearest hospital. The ability to stabilize and better analyze a patient's needs would ensure the highest possible survival rate.

Our dreams and desires are very big, but we need to work on this one step at a time. We ask for your patience while each step is worked on. We feel that to do too much too quickly could mean a sacrifice in the services provided and that is not worth the cost.

In the meantime, the Desert Hawks fire, rescue team will always be ready to help and assist anyone in need. When you travel through the central part of Baja, the Desert Hawks will be with you all the way.

We again thank all Baja Nomads for their continued trust and support… together we are making a difference!!!

Commitment, Inc

Logo Desert Hawks_Fire and Rescue.jpg - 47kB

Ateo - 5-10-2015 at 02:22 PM

Thanks for the update. I look forward to helping in any way possible as The Desert Hawks infrastructure grows.

That is a great logo, by the way, and if there was a way to purchase decals of this logo as a fundraising option, I'd buy more than a couple!!

I'll be coming thru in a few days and will drop a small donation off at the station.

rts551 - 5-10-2015 at 02:45 PM

Excellent Antonio.

Staicker/decals

bajaguy - 5-10-2015 at 02:58 PM

Try these guys, they do a pretty good job

http://www.stickersbanners.com/

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Thanks for the update. I look forward to helping in any way possible as The Desert Hawks infrastructure grows.

That is a great logo, by the way, and if there was a way to purchase decals of this logo as a fundraising option, I'd buy more than a couple!!

I'll be coming thru in a few days and will drop a small donation off at the station.

woody with a view - 5-10-2015 at 05:05 PM

Antonio, you should sell some T-shirts as well as stickers. I'm sure you can find a supplier south of the border that will give you the best bang for the buck! I'm a fan of rust colored shirts, they don't get dirty too fast while in Baja!

:biggrin:

Emergency vehicles...

BajaCactus - 5-22-2015 at 10:16 AM

Dear BajaNomad friends,

Last week we were informed that the ambulance and water tender offered to Desert Hawks were ready for pickup. Thanks to the generous donations many of you have helped with, we were able to immediately start with the arrangements to bring them down to Baja.

As a result, we are now schedule to pick them up on June 2nd in Seattle, WA. Besides the ambulance and water tender, Firefighters Crossing Borders has secure for Desert Hawks some SCBAs (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus), VHF portable radios and an additional set of the Jaws of Life that we are also bringing down.

With all these equipment, plus the constant learning and training process our volunteers are going through, Desert Hawks will be able to provide a much better and adequate, professional emergency response to any calls we receive.

Thank you all for your and help support!!!

Together we can save lives...

Ambulance.jpg - 129kB Water Tender.jpg - 117kB

woody with a view - 5-22-2015 at 10:27 AM

Very Nice!

David K - 5-22-2015 at 10:45 AM

Super duper Antonio!

David K - 7-12-2016 at 02:39 PM

An update until Antonio provides more details... Baja Angel and I were at Baja Cactus yesterday and spent some time with Antonio and Itzela (who handles the donations for Desert Hawks).

Antonio continues to work on providing the best emergency response possible for north-central Baja California and has been adding to his EMT training. Please read the earlier posts to this and other Desert Hawks posts on Nomad.

Here is my brief account of just one rescue story of late...

A serious roll-over accident near the L.A. Bay junction (an American), had Antonio (BajaCactus) go to action as nobody closer (Cataviña, Guerrero Negro, Bahia de L.A., etc.) would or could help! The man was laying in the sun for 4 hours with severe head and arm injuries before Desert Hawks could arrive. Calls to all other area ambulances far closer were made by Antonio when he was informed. 150 miles south to the scene and then 300 miles north to the Ensenada hospital were provided to help this man. The government does not provide this care, in Mexico. People like Antonio and others are what makes a difference.

We made a tiny donation and donated some new books I had in my truck. Proceeds from sales of my two books (sold at a discount price at the Baja Cactus Motel office) go to the Desert Hawks.

If anyone knows of a way to get a donation of a portable defibrillator please contact Andy (a-commit) or Antonio (BajaCactus)!
Thank you!!

fishbuck - 7-12-2016 at 04:41 PM

Wow!

David K - 7-12-2016 at 08:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Wow!

Exactly!

See the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HalconesdelDesierto/

Bajazly - 7-13-2016 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaCactus  

Communications... We are constantly looking to upgrade our services and are working with other rescue groups, both north and south of El Rosario, to bring the level of service as high as possible. Yesterday, Antonio met with a company that maintains a 2-meter radio system. There are two companies that do this in the central part of the peninsula. This particular company had been our first choice for a 2-meter system. It turns out the company was in the process of upgrading their system from analog to digital, which has the ability to enable communications from Ensenada to San Ignacio, BCS. The company was not ready for us but now it is. Some quick phone calls to a couple of large local organizations has secured the Desert Hawks a donation of some new digital radios which will allow us to use the new system. This is a first step to hopefully, in the near future, bring more of the rescue groups online to improve the service for all travelers. Possibly, in the future we will approach the Baja Nomads to help us expand the system so that any individual in the central part of Baja will be able to call in case of an emergency and get help as fast as possible.

What is the frequency monitored by the Desert Hawks? That would be nice to have pre programmed into the radio just in case.

We will stop in on our way down with a donation to the effort.

Thank you guys for all that you do.

BajaGeoff - 7-13-2016 at 04:12 PM

Very nice work being done by Antonio and the Desert Hawks!

Great stuff!

BajaBlanca - 7-14-2016 at 07:18 AM

just amazing. it could be any of us! every time we go by Baja cactus I hightail over to make a small donation and always get a smile from the girls in the reception area.

Thanks Antonio. and I hope the guy in the accident is OK.

MexicoTed - 7-14-2016 at 10:23 AM

It may already be in this long post or I missed it, but what are the options for donating to the Desert Hawks?

1 - direct donation at Baja Cactus
2 - ?

BajaGeoff - 7-15-2016 at 10:02 AM

Hey Ted,

You can contact Andy from Commitment Inc. which is the non-profit on the US side that works with the Desert Hawks.

His email is: commitment(at)nethere.com

Desert Hawks contact...

BajaCactus - 7-15-2016 at 12:53 PM

Hi everyone!!!

Thank you all for keeping us in your thoughts... thanks to the support and help from many of you we have been able to keep the emergency services active in the lower part of Baja for over three years now... many lives have been saved and many injured have been attended because of your help... Thank you!!!

Over these three years we have been covering not only El Rosario, but every town and traveler all the way to Punta Prieta, that is around 150 miles of Highway 1. Also, with your support last year we were able to strengthen our services with a 4x4 Search and Rescue vehicle, Jaws of Life, One ambulance and One Water Tender.

Unfortunately traveling those 150 miles of Highway takes too much time. There have been calls that has taken us up to 3 hours to reach the site... too much when there is someone laying injured under the sun.

This is why Desert Hawks has been working very hard to establish a Satellite operation in Cataviña. We have been training volunteers as EMT's for the past several months and we have finally found a couple of ambulances donated that will allow us to cover all that area much more promptly. I will start another thread with this info since we are in much need of help right now to raise the money needed to bring them down to Baja.

About the radio communication, we now have coverage all the way from Tijuana to Vizcaino through a company called "Sistemas de Comunicación" who has their main offices in San Quintín. Unfortunately the system of repeaters they use are digital and that requires special digital radios (they use Hytera) and for the radios to be programmed and authorized, so even if we had the frequency, we have no access to program the repeaters.

On the donations side, that is easy:

1.- Online via PayPal
2.- Online through our Facebook Page: Facebook
3.- Sending a check to our US address:
-- Commitment, Inc
-- P.O. Box 178309
-- San Diego, CA 92177-8309
4.- In Mexico a direct deposit to our Mexican Bank Account:
-- Fundación Commitment International, A.C.
-- Banco BanBajío
-- Account: 15424492
5.- Or finally directly at BajaCactus

I will start another thread about the new 2 ambulances up in Oregon along with pictures and everything... we are very excited about this!!!

Antonio Muñoz
Non-Profit Organization