BajaNomad

Passport needed to enter Mexico in Tijuana

rayfornario - 6-19-2015 at 11:22 AM

I am down in Tijuana at least 1 day a week. I have my Sentri card as do most of my friends. Over the past two weeks, they have been stopped at the port of entry and asked to show their passport. Since they have Sentri cards, they do not bring their passports down. The official at the pedestrian crossing told them that starting next month, they will need to show it or be turned back into the United States.
Has anyone else heard about this????:?::?::?::?::?:

David K - 6-19-2015 at 12:23 PM

The cards are fine for returning to USA, but Mexico only recognizes Passport books. In the past, a passport was needed only for getting FMMs and not everyone going south.

ehall - 6-19-2015 at 12:49 PM

They asked to see our passports going south at Mexicali last month. I thought that was kind of strange. Also asked for the titles for the motorcycles and boat we had with us. The officer was very professional. He parked us and walked us over to the office to get our fmm.

Questioned at Mexicali west

John M - 6-19-2015 at 12:56 PM

We entered via the "no declare" lane last week and got waived through by the woman after asking where we were going (San Felipe was the answer) She gave a cursory look into the bed of our truck and passed us. Then just before re-entering the road we were stopped a second time by a fellow in a different uniform and I didn't think to look at any insignia - he also asked our destination - reply was San Felipe - he directed us to get our visa to the left telling us we had to have them now. Thinking quickly I told him we already have them and pulled out a valid 180 day tourist card from a previous trip and showed it to him - without even looking at it closely he simply said OK and waved us on. I don't recall being asked for them at Mexicali west before.

John M

BornFisher - 6-19-2015 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The cards are fine for returning to USA, but Mexico only recognizes Passport books. In the past, a passport was needed only for getting FMMs and not everyone going south.

The cards are also fine for getting 180 day visas. I did it in Ensenada 2 days ago.
About the PP to enter Mex question, I`ve heard the rumors and believe it`s coming soon.

SFandH - 6-19-2015 at 01:29 PM

I used a passport card at San Ysidro to get a tourist visa. I also heard somewhere that a passport will be required to enter. I hope the card works.

[Edited on 6-19-2015 by SFandH]

sancho - 6-19-2015 at 01:34 PM

It is also my understanding you can get an fmm with the
Passport card. Within the last few weeks heard of Gringos
being asked for an an fmm entering Mexicalli from Calexico,
being asked at the checkpoint 15 mi no of San Felipe and
a little ways before exiting Mex at San Luis, all by Mex Imm
officers. I believe it has been a vague policy of Mex for a few yrs that requires all
visitors to Mex have passport/passport card

DENNIS - 6-19-2015 at 02:02 PM

Can't believe anything like a passport is required to enter Mexico on a day-trip basis. Day-trippers are an important addition to the local economy.
Add to that..... what about the exemption for IMN paperwork for a week in the free zone?

SFandH - 6-19-2015 at 02:35 PM

DENNIS, it's really no additional burden because you need a passport to go back to the US.

DENNIS - 6-19-2015 at 02:40 PM

Actually....you don't, but I see your point.
This will be the final nail in the coffin of TJ tourism.

mtgoat666 - 6-19-2015 at 02:42 PM

it's always been required to carry a passport or passport card, but not always enforced.

rayfornario - 6-19-2015 at 03:04 PM

It's the day trippers with sentri that I am talking about. It will hurt the local economy if they start enforcing it.

AKgringo - 6-19-2015 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
DENNIS, it's really no additional burden because you need a passport to go back to the US.

Actually you can re-enter the US without one, but you can be detained for quite a while until you can prove citizenship. A passport beats the hell out of a note from your mother or an honest face.

rayfornario - 6-19-2015 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Actually you can re-enter the US without one, but you can be detained for quite a while until you can prove citizenship. A passport beats the hell out of a note from your mother or an honest face.

Actually, you don't need to enter the U.S. If you have a sentri card. I just don't like taking it down to TJ lest I lose it. Just a pain in the butt to have to take it if you are only going down for dinner. It was never necessary to take it with you in the border regions.

SFandH - 6-19-2015 at 03:23 PM

Yeah, you guys are right. I cross frequently so I operate by thinking a passport is required to return to the US, but I guess not really, if you're willing to be water boarded, er, um, I mean politely and expediently asked a few questions. ;)

[Edited on 6-20-2015 by SFandH]

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 6-19-2015 at 06:01 PM

Hola,

also, passport is now required entering mexico by water.

i read on the popular website " bloodydecks.com " that passports are now required to enter mexico by water.

the rumor on the website is also saying there are many cancellations on the boats, long range boats, and also private boats going into mexican waters.

many of the multi day boats are just staying in U.S. waters.

BIEN SALUD,

DA RAT

David K - 6-19-2015 at 06:27 PM

Passports are just another piece of bureaucracy used in a tit for tat exchange...

We were told about 10 years ago passports would be required to return to the U.S., and Mexico soon made it clear they wanted passports to issue tourist cards...

That they accepted a passport card or the sentri card may have been a personal wink wink or them just not pressing the enforcement of the true rule of passport books.

The officials know it is BS, and the cards issued by the U.S. government are proof of who you are, but newer officials are probably enforcing newer laws better?

Are you going to fight it or argue that some officer somewhere accepted the card, then get angry when the border says no next time?

I wish it was as easy as it was in the past to go to Mexico, and Mexico would benefit from making it easier and stop charging for the tourist cards, as they had before July, 2000, when it was free for 180 days. Many families choose not to go to Mexico, that used to go, because of the expense of tourist cards for everyone. The 7 day free tourist card came years too late to help many Mexican businesses, but is good to have now.

Passport cards

AKgringo - 6-19-2015 at 06:49 PM

Maybe this is a good thread to ask a question about passport cards. I understand that they are good for obtaining an FMM for Mexican travel, and for returning to the US by land or sea, but air travel requires a regular passport.

If some one with a passport card drove to BCS, and a situation came up requiring an immediate return to the US, would it be possible to fly out of Loreto or SJD airports?

Edit; one more question, are the rules the same for US/Canada entry?

[Edited on 6-20-2015 by AKgringo]

mtgoat666 - 6-19-2015 at 07:48 PM

Passports are just another piece of bureaucracy used in a tit for tat exchange...

We were told about 10 years ago passports would be required to return to the U.S., and Mexico soon made it clear they wanted passports to issue tourist cards...

That they accepted a passport card or the sentri card may have been a personal wink wink or them just not pressing the enforcement of the true rule of passport books.

The officials know it is BS, and the cards issued by the U.S. government are proof of who you are, but newer officials are probably enforcing newer laws better?

Are you going to fight it or argue that some officer somewhere accepted the card, then get angry when the border says no next time?

I wish it was as easy as it was in the past to go to Mexico, and Mexico would benefit from making it easier and stop charging for the tourist cards, as they had before July, 2000, when it was free for 180 days. Many families choose not to go to Mexico, that used to go, because of the expense of tourist cards for everyone. The 7 day free tourist card came years too late to help many Mexican businesses, but is good to have now.

Tear down the wall!
Open border!
Instead of pursuing undocumented immigrants, pursue the employers that don't verify work status! It would be easier to police the employers than police the employees, there are fewer employers!

In the mean time, get thee a passport!

Lux sit!

BornFisher - 6-19-2015 at 09:03 PM

Times are changing. I was waiting for the immigration officer in Ensenada to come back from whatever break he was having and saw a big poster on his window. I really didn`t think I could get a visa with no PP. But on this poster were the approved images of accepted ID. When I saw the image of a US Passport Card I was relieved because that was all I had. So there were no winks and it was not a favor from him. US PP Cards are enough to get a visa now.

David K - 6-19-2015 at 10:14 PM

Great thanks! Let's hope it is that way and not what was reported above.

sancho - 6-20-2015 at 10:34 AM

I believe you can fly domestically, within the country of
Mex with a passport card, like in out of TJ

tjsue - 6-20-2015 at 11:32 AM

Passport cards are good for land and sea travel within Canada and Mexico. A valid passport is required for air travel.

I work at the Port of San Diego/Cruise Ship Terminal, and this is what I was told. You should see all the passengers that show up without a passport card/passport, because they don't think that they don't need it. Consequently, they don't get to go on their cruise.

tjsue - 6-20-2015 at 11:33 AM

I also heard that anyone that is entering Mexico without a passport/passport card is being asked for $22, and if they don't fork it over, they're being turned back to the US.

[Edited on 6-20-2015 by tjsue]

David K - 6-20-2015 at 11:43 AM

I heard that police pull over innocent tourists and take $100 to let them go...

I heard that banditos jump out from behind rocks and rob you...

I heard that you will get beheaded if you go to Mexico...

THE MORE I HEAR... The more I want to go to Mexico, and laugh my head off, coming home happier and feeling younger than before I left!

El Comadante Loco - 6-20-2015 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
I believe you can fly domestically, within the country of
Mex with a passport card, like in out of TJ

I fly to Mexico City, Guadalajara, Los Cabos, Cancun, Tuxtla Gutierrez, and Puerto Vallarta all domestic flights within Mexico mostly from TJ or Mexicali using only my California drivers license as ID not once have I been asked for any additional ID though I also carry my Mexican ID just in case.

International flights do require a passport and a valid tourist visa to return back to the states..

sancho - 6-20-2015 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tjsue  
A valid passport is required for air travei

The passport card is accepted by Mex Imm at the TJ airport
for the purpose of purchasing an fmm, just like the Mex Imm
offices at the border crossings into Mex, thus you can fly to
the Cape and back to TJ with a passcard. The passcard
restriction is only regarding International air travel, for that
you need the passport book

Bajahowodd - 6-20-2015 at 04:59 PM

What is wrong with this picture? You can travel from London to Athens, and through all the European countries without showing a passport, or needing a visa. It is assumed that once you are admitted into one of their countries through immigration, you are good to go.

tjsue - 6-20-2015 at 06:05 PM

The passport regulation is what I was told at work, and the asking of $22 was posted on FB by a friend that lives in Tijuana, but works in San Diego.

rayfornario - 6-21-2015 at 12:54 PM

Another bit of mordida?:fire:
Once again doing this will impact the businesses that are only now starting to recover in TJ.

bajaguy - 6-21-2015 at 02:18 PM

What's wrong is you are dealing with Mexico. Quit trying to figure anything out or make sense of it

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
What is wrong with this picture? You can travel from London to Athens, and through all the European countries without showing a passport, or needing a visa. It is assumed that once you are admitted into one of their countries through immigration, you are good to go.

AKgringo - 6-21-2015 at 02:42 PM

Well perhaps Mexico would allow Norte Americanos to roam free along the border area for a week or so, with a valid ID from their country, if we do the same for Mexicans with a valid ID. What could possibly go wrong with that plan?

Also remember that Mexico has a problem along their southern border with immigrants wanting to cross.

The conditions aren't too hard to comply with, even if enforcement is a bit chaotic.

SFandH - 6-21-2015 at 04:27 PM

after what a presidential hopeful said about mexicans, we're lucky they let us in at all.

Bajahowodd - 6-21-2015 at 04:31 PM

I'm guessing that it is the US Border Patrol and the government in DC that basically strong-armed the Mexican authorities to check for passports simply to reduce the number of folks sent to secondary on their way back.

That said, if you are entering at San Ysidro and get a green light, who's to know if you have a passport?

bajasusan/a - 6-23-2015 at 03:12 PM

The sentiment below seems pretty lopsided when you consider how absurdly difficult the USA makes it for Mexican nationals to enter! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

I wish it was as easy as it was in the past to go to Mexico, and Mexico would benefit from making it easier and stop charging for the tourist cards, as they had before July, 2000, when it was free for 180 days. Many families choose not to go to Mexico, that used to go, because of the expense of tourist cards for everyone.

David K - 6-23-2015 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajasusan/a  
The sentiment below seems pretty lopsided when you consider how absurdly difficult the USA makes it for Mexican nationals to enter! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

I wish it was as easy as it was in the past to go to Mexico, and Mexico would benefit from making it easier and stop charging for the tourist cards, as they had before July, 2000, when it was free for 180 days. Many families choose not to go to Mexico, that used to go, because of the expense of tourist cards for everyone.

Because one country is bad, you think that makes it ok for the other to do the same?

Who benefits more as a national source of revenue, from (the other's) tourist income: Mexico (Baja in this case) or the U.S.?

The people of Baja California have a great source of income from American tourism (Canadian as well). The people of the United States do not depend on Mexican tourists anywhere close to the same level in order to survive (specially north of the border towns).

There is no economic disaster caused by the U.S. visa regulations as there is on the businesses and people of Baja caused by their government making it difficult or too expensive for American families to travel south... as the American families have plenty of non-Mexico travel options.

We don't HAVE TO go to Mexico on a vacation, but we would like to. Every time the Mexican or American government makes it more difficult or expensive on family travel, that equates to LESS people going to Mexico to spend their vacation dollars.

MMc - 6-23-2015 at 05:02 PM

Well this should through the whole thread a different way:o:o
Get the popcorn.

bajasusan/a - 6-23-2015 at 05:43 PM

who benefits most? seriously? the usa benefits enormously from mexican labor and culture. cant say the reverse is true, since tourism is a terrible basis for an economy and earns a living for a very small part of the population.

mtgoat666 - 6-23-2015 at 07:28 PM

SoMetimes the ignorant spoutings of the bloviator in chief should just be left unresponded to, for all to enjoy in their Singular resplendant pompous glory

sancho - 6-24-2015 at 08:17 AM

who benefits most? seriously? the usa benefits enormously from mexican labor and culture. cant say the reverse is true, since tourism is a terrible basis for an economy and earns a living for a very small part of the population.

Like paying maids at Cabo $6 dlls a day? Having them sign
short contracts so they don't have to give them any benifits?
For a newcomer you came to the plate swinging. As pointed
out, the bioviator sees his shortsided logic as the only correct view here

David K - 6-24-2015 at 08:37 AM

I don't know how some of you guys get all that stuff out of this, but my thoughts are for the Mexican people in Baja California who SUFFER financially when tourists stop coming. It isn't any more complicated than that. This is a Baja forum, not a U.S. forum about northbound visitors to the U.S.. Talk to you congressman if you want it easier for Mexicans to come north through the legal borders. I have no problem with that.

As for Baja bound travelers:
My LESS government is the BEST government solution opens up the flood gates of money that previously flowed into Baja when the border wasn't complicated with regulations and fees just to begin one's vacation. In the 70's, 80's, 90's, San Felipe was packed on every 3 day weekend, Easter Break, New Years week, etc.

The other group that is harmed are working American families, on a budget, made worse by the economic disaster of the past 6 years, who would love to camp on a beach or mountain or desert in Baja for just a little bit of freedom, but the hassles or fears of Mexico travel keeps them away... and again the MEXICAN people of Baja are denied the income that previously went their way.

mtgoat666 - 6-24-2015 at 10:11 PM

I don't know how some of you guys get all that stuff out of this, but my thoughts are for the Mexican people in Baja California who SUFFER financially when tourists stop coming. It isn't any more complicated than that. This is a Baja forum, not a U.S. forum about northbound visitors to the U.S.. Talk to you congressman if you want it easier for Mexicans to come north through the legal borders. I have no problem with that.

As for Baja bound travelers:
My LESS government is the BEST government solution opens up the flood gates of money that previously flowed into Baja when the border wasn't complicated with regulations and fees just to begin one's vacation. In the 70's, 80's, 90's, San Felipe was packed on every 3 day weekend, Easter Break, New Years week, etc.

The other group that is harmed are working American families, on a budget, made worse by the economic disaster of the past 6 years, who would love to camp on a beach or mountain or desert in Baja for just a little bit of freedom, but the hassles or fears of Mexico travel keeps them away... and again the MEXICAN people of Baja are denied the income that previously went their way.

Dk,
The reason many gringos stopped going to Mexico via land is crime stories in the news.
I know many San Diego people with passports and they travel abroad, but they have heard stories about Mexico and don't want to go there.
Red tape at the border is inconsequential to most people.

The economy has recovered. get over it - you need to move on with your life and quit blaming Obama and the democrats for all of your own problems :light:

bajacamper - 6-29-2015 at 06:49 PM

Hiked up the hill at San Ysidro today into Mexico, passport, sentri and passport cards in hand. Two ladies inside the area you pass through to be checked. Neither looked up. No questions asked. Driving? Quien sabe1

SFandH - 6-29-2015 at 07:08 PM

I don't know how some of you guys get all that stuff out of this, but my thoughts are for the Mexican people in Baja California who SUFFER financially when tourists stop coming.

Take a guess, what percentage of the peninsula's economy is based upon Americans walking and driving across the border?

I'd guess 1/2 of one percent. Just a guess.

What do you guys think?

bajasusan/a - 6-29-2015 at 08:08 PM

i think the extremely negative cultural impact of USAmericans on the Baja outweighs tourist dollars, especially when one considers a city like la paz, which has enriched a few families while putting many more families out of business. the more tourists' demands that everything be like the usa -- malls, golf courses, fancy nonmexican restaurants, etc. -- the poorer the country will get in all kinds of ways by catering to them. just ask the mexicans who have lived for generations in cabo san lucas or todos santos.

gnukid - 6-29-2015 at 08:42 PM

i think the extremely negative cultural impact of USAmericans on the Baja outweighs tourist dollars, especially when one considers a city like la paz, which has enriched a few families while putting many more families out of business. the more tourists' demands that everything be like the usa -- malls, golf courses, fancy nonmexican restaurants, etc. -- the poorer the country will get in all kinds of ways by catering to them. just ask the mexicans who have lived for generations in cabo san lucas or todos santos.

Interesting thoughts... La Paz has long been an island far far from manufacturing and modern conveniences until recently over the last decade. The demand for big box stores and consumerism is fueled by a population of diverse people who are largely from Mexico and a minority of US North Americans who generally bring the things they want from the North since it i cheaper to bring it than buy it. It is unfortunate that the population drives purchasing from larger stores, as opposed to small local stores, while both of those stores are owned by Mexican companies.

People demanding rustic, traditional goods include North Americans who visit local artisans and organic farmers.

The overall population of La Paz is largely Mexican who are diverse from all over Mexico. Acknowledge that for seemingly ever it was impossible to buy modern goods and if you could the costs were outrageous. So these conveniences of big box and small convenience stores brings equality, fairness and competitiveness to the region. Pacenos shop shop shop like there is no tomorrow.

If you want to encourage change, to reduce the loss of economy that big box stores created by shipping all the money away, it will require thoughtful education and partnership with local Mexicans and all people. And don't look to large foundations or charities since they are the ones most often connected to big box stores.

I make it my practice to visit each small store I can throughout Baja and buy something and meet the people, that is where the quality, friendships and cultural experiences exist.

[Edited on 6-30-2015 by gnukid]

bajasusan/a - 6-30-2015 at 07:11 AM

interesting thoughts, as well, sir. although the literally hundreds of fishermen whose livelihood was stolen by the resorts along the cabo gold coast that have a legal right to restrict access to the pacific but a moral obligation not to interfere with local commerce might disagree about what is "fair". as would all of my adopted mexican family who are three generations in la paz, and all of my paceno friends whose hearts are broken by the incredible ugliness and arrogance of the developments on the hillsides between downtown and the ferries. pave paradise and put up a parking lot is the usamerican mentality, so tourists need to keep expanding their geography because they have to leave behind all the places they have ruined with their mighty dollars. la paz needs ecotourism and instead has a gary player golf course.

David K - 6-30-2015 at 08:42 AM

I don't know how some of you guys get all that stuff out of this, but my thoughts are for the Mexican people in Baja California who SUFFER financially when tourists stop coming.

Take a guess, what percentage of the peninsula's economy is based upon Americans walking and driving across the border?

What do you guys think?

I was talking only about the population that depends (or has depended) on tourist dollars... shops, campos, restaurants, sport fishing, Pemex stations, etc.. It is so easy to not interfere with business and prosperity, but government sometimes can't help itself.

gnukid - 6-30-2015 at 09:25 AM

interesting thoughts, as well, sir. although the literally hundreds of fishermen whose livelihood was stolen by the resorts along the cabo gold coast that have a legal right to restrict access to the pacific but a moral obligation not to interfere with local commerce might disagree about what is "fair". as would all of my adopted mexican family who are three generations in la paz, and all of my paceno friends whose hearts are broken by the incredible ugliness and arrogance of the developments on the hillsides between downtown and the ferries. pave paradise and put up a parking lot is the usamerican mentality, so tourists need to keep expanding their geography because they have to leave behind all the places they have ruined with their mighty dollars. la paz needs ecotourism and instead has a gary player golf course.

Cabo is a different case than La Paz. Cabo was built by Mexico to improve its economy after the model of Acapulco whose greatest resource is the beach front. There are over 1 million visitors a year to Cabo about 35% are domestic Mexicans. I don't particularly like it but it is a resource for income of nearly 1 billion dollars annually and is one of the highest standards of living for Mexico. People enjoy living and working there.

Eco tourism has grown tremendously in La Paz based on the support for the model. Now there are many many pangas taking divers snorkeling every day where there were few before. More than 20-30 leave our beach daily. And there is still excellent fishing as well. There are over 100,000 visitors annually to La Paz and a majority are domestic Mexicans.

It seems what you are driving at is that the economic models created by Mexico and the Mexican corporations are not beneficial to avg local Mexican workers and that the model is exploitive of the local resources and labor force who do not benefit? That is a systemic issue in Mexico not planned nor created or caused by USA visitors.

It is incorrect to blame USA visitors for the exploitation, in fact, likely, Mexico's geographic relationship to USA and its visitors is what is driving up the wages and standard of living and requirement to meet best (better) ecological practices for labor, fishing, recycling, and reduce waste.

Let's advocate for US/Mexico partnership between residents of the continent with respect for people and for best use of resources to reduce damage to the environment and encourage businesses to do the same with your expenditures. Point is get involved, show an example of a model that works and encourage it. For example, we are building 3 new parks in La Paz that will serve locals designed by local with a place to exercise and enjoy family time.

Here is a recent interview about a group from Guadalajara called Indentitarians advocating for partnership between North Americans to improve overall working and living conditions for all identities. http://www.redicecreations.com/radio3fourteen/2015/R314-1506...

[Edited on 6-30-2015 by gnukid]

bajacamper - 6-30-2015 at 12:55 PM

Hiked up the hill at San Ysidro today into Mexico, passport, sentri and passport cards in hand. Two ladies inside the area you pass through to be checked. Neither looked up. No questions asked. Driving? Quien sabe1

sancho - 6-30-2015 at 02:21 PM

With you on that, some here pat themselves on the back, thinking their 3 day camping trip to San Felipe, purchasing
nada in Baja, maybe 1 fish taco. Almost all of Mex tourism
is the fly down resorts, not someone tenting on a free beach
pretending to be contributing to the local Baja economy

daveB - 6-30-2015 at 06:40 PM

Most any government will encourage tourist travel within its country, even to go so far as placing some minor penalties on travel for their countrymen. Canadians visit Mexico a lot, about a million visits per year I once heard, from a country of only 34 million. About three years ago Mexico became disgusted with Canada when Canada placed a visa requirement on visits by Mexicans. We still have a special travel arrangement to their country, which equates with those for Americans.

Traveling internationally has long been done on the passport of your country. Now it is demanded by international air and sea travel between most jurisdictions. In recent years land travel in Europe - which for a time had the most stringent regulations - has evolved to become more open at border crossings. About the same time the USA instituted its passport regulations we use today. As Canadians, to travel to and through America, we need a passport. Even so, as a traveler within America we are told we must carry it with us at all times. Even if traveling with a Nexis pass card and by car, everyone in the car must have this card in order to make use of it to the fullest while crossing into USA.

As a person who goes to considerable lengths to protect my passport, where it mostly lies in a bank's safety deposit box, having to carry it through land border crossings seemed like a problem but in retrospect once you have obtained one (and it's good that Canada's can now, finally, be valid for 10 years instead of just five) it is not a big deal to keep track of it.

It is self-evident that once the U.S. government instituted its border priorities, Canada and Mexico soon began to use similar regulations. Meanwhile in Europe many people on international trips are able to sometimes leave their passports at home.

SFandH - 7-1-2015 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rayfornario  
The official at the pedestrian crossing told them that starting next month, they will need to show it or be turned back into the United States.
Has anyone else heard about this????:?::?::?::?::?:

Walked across this AM. Same as always, no questions, no ID required. But I imagine soon Mexico will do away with its open border. Too many criminals from the US just walking/driving in. Heck those prison escapees from the NY prison had plans to go there, all the way from northern NY! Donald Trump may even try. They certainly don't want that.

[Edited on 7-1-2015 by SFandH]

rayfornario - 7-2-2015 at 07:05 AM

I believe the check for passports will be only at the pedestrian lane.
The crossing right now is very inefficient due to the layout. If they do start checking for passports consistently, having the new crossing at Virginia street will help. I heard it would be in November but work id proceeding slowly on it. It will also be another POE into the U.S as well as Mexico.

SFandH - 7-2-2015 at 07:14 AM

The crossing right now is very inefficient due to the layout. If they do start checking for passports consistently, having the new crossing at Virginia street will help. I heard it would be in November but work id proceeding slowly on it. It will also be another POE into the U.S as well as Mexico.

Virginia street? Where's that? Is this in addition to the current pedestrian crossing?

[Edited on 7-2-2015 by SFandH]

SFandH - 7-2-2015 at 07:41 AM

Virginia street? Where's that? Is this in addition to the current pedestrian crossing?

Found the info. New pedestrian crossing on the west side in addition to the current east side crossing. This is good for us border walkers.

link to pdf file

sancho - 7-2-2015 at 09:30 AM

For a while, there has been a fmm of sorts, strictly for entering Baja by boat for fishing, the Coronado Isles, up to 12 from shore,
don't know how far so. this is in effect, maybe Ensenada. Each
time one fishes in Mex waters, private boat or sportfishing
landing one must get this Marine fmm, good for one entry,
if going 2 days later must get another. Available online, recently
it requires a passport/ passcard to get this permit. Sounds very
much like the PROPOSED fee for peds. Wouldn't be the first time
Mex shoots itself on the foot

rayfornario - 7-2-2015 at 07:59 PM

It is by the outlet centers by the big Mexican flag, and should be open soon. They are in the process of constructing it right now:biggrin:and it can't come soon enough. The one by the Trolley tracks is a very inefficient way to get to people into the country.

rayfornario - 7-2-2015 at 08:01 PM

They had this in the plans for years. their will be a pedestrian crosswalk to get to it. It will be both entry and exit!

bajasusan/a - 7-3-2015 at 10:04 AM

I have friends driving via san ysidro in august, and the two teenagers have driver licenses but no passports. they will be fine coming in, but does anyone know if passports are required to re-enter, or just what people usually show?

SFandH - 7-3-2015 at 10:47 AM

I think going back to the US without a passport almost guarantees spending time in secondary inspection. And who knows, Mexico might require them by then, probably not, but maybe. Best to get passports with the optional passport card. Then no worries.

bajasusan/a - 7-3-2015 at 10:52 AM

never thought about the secondary inspection aspect -- thanks!

MMc - 7-3-2015 at 11:03 AM

They can't get their visas without a passport. I know that many don't feel the need to be legal in a foreign county. I try to keep the i's dotted and t's crossed in Mexico.Any body that travels abroad should have one.

JoeJustJoe - 7-3-2015 at 11:24 AM

I think going back to the US without a passport almost guarantees spending time in secondary inspection. And who knows, Mexico might require them by then, probably not, but maybe. Best to get passports with the optional passport card. Then no worries.

No it doesn't guarantee spending time in secondary!

Thousands cross back into the USA from Mexico everyday, with only a birth certificate, and drivers license.

I see it all the time, and I live in the USA, and so when I go to Tijuana, I park on US side, and walk across and walk back across the border, and I see first hand, how many US citizens cross back into the US armed with only a drivers license and birth certificate.

The US custom agents, usually say nothing about having to have passport, although years ago, when they started the new WHTI rules, a few custom agent, told some people, next time bring a passport. Since then I have not heard anything, nor do I see people being sent to secondary, just because they don't have a passport.

If you get sent to secondary, you're going to secondary probably regardless if you have a passport/passcard or not.

Here is something I found about a recent LGBT event in Tijuana and they are telling their fellow Americans citizens to come down to the event, and that NO PASSPORTS NEEDED TO RE-ENTER USA!! And they do this every year.

You're supposed to have a passport, but the practice for the last 10 years or so, is to let US citizens back into the USA without a passport. US Customs seems to understand, that passports are expensive and not all families can afford them. And if you're a US Citizen, you can't be denied entry back into your own country, and it only takes them seconds, to determine you're a US citizen.

Simply park on USA side in one of the many lots and then walk into Mexico and the party. quick 5 minute walk. NO PASSPORTS NEEDED TO RE-ENTER USA!! The entire PAPI team has been using our State issued ID's for the past 3 years without ANY issues getting back!!

Bajahowodd - 7-3-2015 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

No it doesn't guarantee spending time in secondary!

Thousands cross back into the USA from Mexico everyday, with only a birth certificate, and drivers license.

I see it all the time, and I live in the USA, and so when I go to Tijuana, I park on US side, and walk across and walk back across the border, and I see first hand, how many US citizens cross back into the US armed with only a drivers license and birth certificate.

The US custom agents, usually say nothing about having to have passport, although years ago, when they started the new WHTI rules, a few custom agent, told some people, next time bring a passport. Since then I have not heard anything, nor do I see people being sent to secondary, just because they don't have a passport.

If you get sent to secondary, you're going to secondary probably regardless if you have a passport/passcard or not.

Here is something I found about a recent LGBT event in Tijuana and they are telling their fellow Americans citizens to come down to the event, and that NO PASSPORTS NEEDED TO RE-ENTER USA!! And they do this every year.

You're supposed to have a passport, but the practice for the last 10 years or so, is to let US citizens back into the USA without a passport. US Customs seems to understand, that passports are expensive and not all families can afford them. And if you're a US Citizen, you can't be denied entry back into your own country, and it only takes them seconds, to determine you're a US citizen.

Simply park on USA side in one of the many lots and then walk into Mexico and the party. quick 5 minute walk. NO PASSPORTS NEEDED TO RE-ENTER USA!! The entire PAPI team has been using our State issued ID's for the past 3 years without ANY issues getting back!!

I really think that the experience is different between pedestrians and those in vehicles, especially in large RVs and campers.

It is unlikely that a pedestrian is carrying a large amount of any contraband.

I'd like to hear from someone who drove a vehicle that did not have to go to secondary.

It is in the interest of Tijuana's economy to promote the no passport thing. They really took a major economic hit with the cartel violence and the passport requirement.

SFandH - 7-3-2015 at 05:03 PM

I wonder if tourism is still important to TJ's economy. There are 1.3 million people in the city now and it's growing. The businesses, (bars, curio shops, restaurants) catering to tourists in those dozen or so blocks in the Avenida Revolucion area don't add up to much. But, of course, if you own one of those businesses you're hurting.

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by SFandH]

JoeJustJoe - 7-3-2015 at 05:41 PM

Tourism is very important to Tijuana, especially since it's a border city.

I know a lot of people believe tourism dried up since the recession a few years ago, and the the Mexican cartel violent, but one visit to the border will tell you that day tourism is alive and well in Tijuana, as well as the rest of Mexico, where millions of American visit Mexico every year.

According to "Wikipedia"300,000 visitor cross by foot or car everyday from the San Ysidro point of entry. Besides the regular tourist activities, you have medical tourism, and pharmacy visits, that's also very important to Tijuana.

I have been in cars crossing the border with people who don't have a passport, and they easily pass too.

I don't know why it's so hard to accept that Americans pass the Mexico/US border, and back into the USA from Tijuana, with nothing more than a driver's License, and birth certificate. Even if you are sent to "secondary," so what? You're still going to be able to visit Tijuana, and make it back home in the USA.

If you can get a passport do it, if you can't or you have family visiting and they want to take a day trip to Tijuana, or Baja, take them. It's not going to be a problem getting back into the US.

Tijuana also relies on tourism for a major part of its revenue. About 300,000 visitors cross by foot or car from the San Ysidro point of entry in the United States every day. To lessen the strain on the border crossing, the Otay Mesa Crossing has been boosted to support more traffic and 6-lane highway 905 built in 2012, as well as rapid bus transit coming in the future.

The city's tourist centers include the shopping district surrounding Tijuana's Cultural Center (CECUT), the nightlife hot spots around La Sexta, Old Downtown Tijuana, Avenida Revolucion, and the city's best known vices, in the form of its legal Red Light District and gambling (Agua Caliente).

Restaurants and taco stands, pharmacies, bars and dance clubs are part of the draw for the city's tourists. Many shops and stalls selling Mexican crafts and souvenirs are also located within walking distance of the border. Mexico's drinking age of 18 (vs. 21 in the United States) makes it a common weekend destination for many high school and college aged Southern Californians who tend to stay within the Avenida Revolución.

Tijuana is also home to several pharmacies marketed toward visitors from the United States. These pharmacies sell some pharmaceutical drugs without prescriptions, and at much lower costs than pharmacies in the US. Many medications still require a Mexican doctor's prescription though several accessible doctor offices are located near the border as well.

In addition, Tijuana's "red-light" district (Zona Norte) adds significant revenue to its economy. Tijuana is also home to many businesses selling products and services at a much cheaper rate than in the United States. Businesses such as auto detailing, medical services, dentistry and plastic surgery are heavily marketed and located near the city's border with the US.

Economic development has its central business district at Zona Río, which together, with the corridor along Blvd. Agua Caliente (the extension of Avenida Revolución), contains the majority of the higher-end office space in the city. Binational economic development along the US-Mexico border is key to the development of Tijuana going forward. Multiple regional (San Diego-US/Tijuana-MX) think-tanks exist on both sides of the border that promote such regional collaboration and innovation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tijuana

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by JoeJustJoe]

JoeJustJoe - 7-3-2015 at 08:08 PM

I was responding to SFandH, second post, but he pulled it. Oh well.
-----

Now that you mention it, I have seen other numbers like 130,000 daily travelers on the US/Mexico border at San Ysidro.

Where do you live, SFandH? It's like you never been to the border. It's very busy even on a Tuesday in March. The border is always busy. Right now the traffic going into Mexico at San Ysidro is probably packed. The line getting back into the US is probably worse.

The only time that I find it slow is on weeknights at about 12 midnight, and walking back to the US/Mexico border, when you walk, there is either no line or very short line, the rest of the time, it's always busy.

In 2014 Mexico welcomed 23 million foreign visitors! That 23 million people who were not afraid to travel to Mexico, and have fun.

Mexico's tourism activity rises 3.4 pct. in 2014

Mexico's tourism activity expanded by 3.4 percent in the third quarter of 2014, compared to the same period in the previous year, the National Institute of Statistics and Geography, or INEGI, said Tuesday.

Spending by foreign and domestic tourists rose 2.8 percent in the July-September period, compared to the same period in 2013, the statistics agency said in a statement.

Spending by domestic tourists rose 1.8 percent, while spending by foreign tourists surged 12.9 percent during the period, the INEGI said.

Services offered to domestic and foreign tourists, the biggest component of the tourism industry within the gross domestic product (GDP), rose 4.5 percent in the third quarter, while the provision of goods contracted by 1.3 percent.

Mexico welcomed 23.7 million foreign tourists in 2014, generating more than $13.8 billion in revenues.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2015/02/17/mexico-tour...

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by JoeJustJoe]