Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Passport needed to enter Mexico in Tijuana
rayfornario
Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 6-19-2015 at 11:22 AM
Passport needed to enter Mexico in Tijuana

I am down in Tijuana at least 1 day a week. I have my Sentri card as do most of my friends. Over the past two weeks, they have been stopped at the port of entry and asked to show their passport. Since they have Sentri cards, they do not bring their passports down. The official at the pedestrian crossing told them that starting next month, they will need to show it or be turned back into the United States.
Has anyone else heard about this????:?::?::?::?::?:

Even a bad day in Baja is better then a good day somewhere else!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 12:23 PM

The cards are fine for returning to USA, but Mexico only recognizes Passport books. In the past, a passport was needed only for getting FMMs and not everyone going south.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 12:49 PM

They asked to see our passports going south at Mexicali last month. I thought that was kind of strange. Also asked for the titles for the motorcycles and boat we had with us. The officer was very professional. He parked us and walked us over to the office to get our fmm.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 12:56 PM
Questioned at Mexicali west

We entered via the "no declare" lane last week and got waived through by the woman after asking where we were going (San Felipe was the answer) She gave a cursory look into the bed of our truck and passed us. Then just before re-entering the road we were stopped a second time by a fellow in a different uniform and I didn't think to look at any insignia - he also asked our destination - reply was San Felipe - he directed us to get our visa to the left telling us we had to have them now. Thinking quickly I told him we already have them and pulled out a valid 180 day tourist card from a previous trip and showed it to him - without even looking at it closely he simply said OK and waved us on. I don't recall being asked for them at Mexicali west before.

John M
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The cards are fine for returning to USA, but Mexico only recognizes Passport books. In the past, a passport was needed only for getting FMMs and not everyone going south.

The cards are also fine for getting 180 day visas. I did it in Ensenada 2 days ago.
About the PP to enter Mex question, I`ve heard the rumors and believe it`s coming soon.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 01:29 PM

I used a passport card at San Ysidro to get a tourist visa. I also heard somewhere that a passport will be required to enter. I hope the card works.

[Edited on 6-19-2015 by SFandH]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 01:34 PM

It is also my understanding you can get an fmm with the
Passport card. Within the last few weeks heard of Gringos
being asked for an an fmm entering Mexicalli from Calexico,
being asked at the checkpoint 15 mi no of San Felipe and
a little ways before exiting Mex at San Luis, all by Mex Imm
officers. I believe it has been a vague policy of Mex for a few yrs that requires all
visitors to Mex have passport/passport card
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 02:02 PM

Can't believe anything like a passport is required to enter Mexico on a day-trip basis. Day-trippers are an important addition to the local economy.
Add to that..... what about the exemption for IMN paperwork for a week in the free zone?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 02:35 PM

DENNIS, it's really no additional burden because you need a passport to go back to the US.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 02:40 PM

Actually....you don't, but I see your point.
This will be the final nail in the coffin of TJ tourism.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 02:42 PM

it's always been required to carry a passport or passport card, but not always enforced.
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 03:04 PM

It's the day trippers with sentri that I am talking about. It will hurt the local economy if they start enforcing it.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
DENNIS, it's really no additional burden because you need a passport to go back to the US.

Actually you can re-enter the US without one, but you can be detained for quite a while until you can prove citizenship. A passport beats the hell out of a note from your mother or an honest face.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Actually you can re-enter the US without one, but you can be detained for quite a while until you can prove citizenship. A passport beats the hell out of a note from your mother or an honest face.

Actually, you don't need to enter the U.S. If you have a sentri card. I just don't like taking it down to TJ lest I lose it. Just a pain in the butt to have to take it if you are only going down for dinner. It was never necessary to take it with you in the border regions.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 03:23 PM

Yeah, you guys are right. I cross frequently so I operate by thinking a passport is required to return to the US, but I guess not really, if you're willing to be water boarded, er, um, I mean politely and expediently asked a few questions. ;)

[Edited on 6-20-2015 by SFandH]
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 06:01 PM

Hola,

also, passport is now required entering mexico by water.

i read on the popular website " bloodydecks.com " that passports are now required to enter mexico by water.

the rumor on the website is also saying there are many cancellations on the boats, long range boats, and also private boats going into mexican waters.

many of the multi day boats are just staying in U.S. waters.

BIEN SALUD,

DA RAT
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 06:27 PM

Passports are just another piece of bureaucracy used in a tit for tat exchange...

We were told about 10 years ago passports would be required to return to the U.S., and Mexico soon made it clear they wanted passports to issue tourist cards...

That they accepted a passport card or the sentri card may have been a personal wink wink or them just not pressing the enforcement of the true rule of passport books.

The officials know it is BS, and the cards issued by the U.S. government are proof of who you are, but newer officials are probably enforcing newer laws better?

Are you going to fight it or argue that some officer somewhere accepted the card, then get angry when the border says no next time?

I wish it was as easy as it was in the past to go to Mexico, and Mexico would benefit from making it easier and stop charging for the tourist cards, as they had before July, 2000, when it was free for 180 days. Many families choose not to go to Mexico, that used to go, because of the expense of tourist cards for everyone. The 7 day free tourist card came years too late to help many Mexican businesses, but is good to have now.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 06:49 PM
Passport cards

Maybe this is a good thread to ask a question about passport cards. I understand that they are good for obtaining an FMM for Mexican travel, and for returning to the US by land or sea, but air travel requires a regular passport.

If some one with a passport card drove to BCS, and a situation came up requiring an immediate return to the US, would it be possible to fly out of Loreto or SJD airports?

Edit; one more question, are the rules the same for US/Canada entry?

[Edited on 6-20-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 07:48 PM

Passports are just another piece of bureaucracy used in a tit for tat exchange...

We were told about 10 years ago passports would be required to return to the U.S., and Mexico soon made it clear they wanted passports to issue tourist cards...

That they accepted a passport card or the sentri card may have been a personal wink wink or them just not pressing the enforcement of the true rule of passport books.

The officials know it is BS, and the cards issued by the U.S. government are proof of who you are, but newer officials are probably enforcing newer laws better?

Are you going to fight it or argue that some officer somewhere accepted the card, then get angry when the border says no next time?

I wish it was as easy as it was in the past to go to Mexico, and Mexico would benefit from making it easier and stop charging for the tourist cards, as they had before July, 2000, when it was free for 180 days. Many families choose not to go to Mexico, that used to go, because of the expense of tourist cards for everyone. The 7 day free tourist card came years too late to help many Mexican businesses, but is good to have now.

Tear down the wall!
Open border!
Instead of pursuing undocumented immigrants, pursue the employers that don't verify work status! It would be easier to police the employers than police the employees, there are fewer employers!

In the mean time, get thee a passport!

Lux sit!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 09:03 PM

Times are changing. I was waiting for the immigration officer in Ensenada to come back from whatever break he was having and saw a big poster on his window. I really didn`t think I could get a visa with no PP. But on this poster were the approved images of accepted ID. When I saw the image of a US Passport Card I was relieved because that was all I had. So there were no winks and it was not a favor from him. US PP Cards are enough to get a visa now.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.