BajaNomad

Good quick lunch spot on the way down to BoLA?

sbsyncro - 7-10-2015 at 04:45 PM

We're planning to cross the border tomorrow morning around 7 am and then head south. Curious if anyone has a recommendation for a good quick lunch stop along the way. I figure we'll be somewhere around San Quintin by the time we're ready for lunch.

I've heard of a good crab place, but not sure we'll have time.

Any other suggestions?

By the way, if anyone's in BoLA next week and wants to share a panga for some spearfishing, we'll have room every day for 1 or 2 people.

bajabuddha - 7-10-2015 at 07:24 PM

MacDonalds.

Quick doesn't happen in Mexico. ;)

sbsyncro - 7-10-2015 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
MacDonalds.

And thus your signature. :)

BajaGringo - 7-10-2015 at 08:16 PM

Mi San Quintin Restaurant

On the west side of the highway, about a half mile before you reach San Quintin, just south of COFEMA. Clean, modern, good food, quick service and WiFi.

Miguel is the owner and together with his family they run a very nice operation. Very good friends too. Tell him Ron sent you...

https://www.facebook.com/MiSanQuintin

MiSQRestaurant.jpg - 217kB

rts551 - 7-10-2015 at 08:30 PM

Another good place is Taquería Parcela #12. Kilometer 16 south of San Quintin.

Santiago - 7-10-2015 at 08:34 PM

Mision Santa Isabel here. We stop here a lot and have never been disappointed.

KaceyJ - 7-10-2015 at 08:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sbsyncro  
MacDonalds.

Perfecto amigo:lol:

Cliffy - 7-10-2015 at 09:11 PM

There is a BIG tire shop on the right side of the road at the south end of SQ. Right next to it at lunch time an older couple sets up a portable
grill and tables for tacos. I was getting some tire work done and thought I'd try it as all the tire shop guys eat there. Even my wife said it was good. They keep it spic and span clean and the food is cheap and good. No Montezuma's afterward either!

bajabuddha - 7-10-2015 at 09:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sbsyncro  
MacDonalds.

Point well taken.

Used to was, it was rude to rush people eating in Baja. You used to have to ASK for your quenta. They expected you to relax, take your time, and enjoy your meal; otherwise they were insulting you to hurry.

Faster roads bring faster people. I forgot my place. Have a good, quick vacation. :smug:

David K - 7-11-2015 at 03:10 AM

Great locations in San Quintin!

IF you pass San Quintin too early for lunch, an hour or less south is El Rosario... and a yummy lunch stop there is Hugo's TACOS LA MISION on the left, far side of town. Giant burritos, stuffed baked potatoes and wonderful art... It takes me 5 hours to get to El Rosario from the border.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52923

Alan - 7-11-2015 at 11:58 AM

Some traditions just need to be adhered to. Mama Espinosa's in El Rosario for Chile Rellenos and a Pacifico.

Has it changed over the years? Of course it has but there is still comfort in traditions.

woody with a view - 7-11-2015 at 12:45 PM

if you make it to Cabo and can't live without some Chinese food try this place!

rts551 - 7-11-2015 at 02:12 PM

Cute woody.

rhintransit - 7-11-2015 at 02:18 PM

tons of spots...just watch for a taco stand or eatery surrounded by locals. not to worry.

Bajaboy - 7-11-2015 at 02:54 PM

We often get food to go from Las Pasaditas in El Rosario. It's green and located as you leave town on the south side of the road.

Safe travels!

Zac

Bajahowodd - 7-11-2015 at 05:42 PM

Carlos and Esmeralda, who operate what is probably the best restaurant in the area, adjacent to her parents Jardines Hotel, also have a really good restaurant that is open for breakfast and lunch on the main highway right nest to the hospital on the West side of the highway. Viejo San Quintin.

BajaGringo - 7-12-2015 at 01:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Carlos and Esmeralda, who operate what is probably the best restaurant in the area, adjacent to her parents Jardines Hotel, also have a really good restaurant that is open for breakfast and lunch on the main highway right nest to the hospital on the West side of the highway. Viejo San Quintin.

Jardines doesn't do breakfast and they don't open until noon. While I do agree that they have the best overall food in the area, around noon they are slow getting going and the OP was looking for QUICK!

On the other hand, your suggestion about Viejo San Quintin was an excellent one. They also have wifi.

I hate to bash any local businesses but after a serious rash of problems with friends and family lately, I have removed the Villa de San Quintin from my list of recommendations. All kinds of problems with the hotel AND restaurant lately to the point that I now steer people AWAY from Villa de San Quintin. Too many better options in San Quintin to keep dropping money at a business that is not interested in anything else than your money...

Bajaboy - 7-12-2015 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  

Jardines doesn't do breakfast and they don't open until noon. While I do agree that they have the best overall food in the area, around noon they are slow getting going and the OP was looking for QUICK!

On the other hand, your suggestion about Viejo San Quintin was an excellent one. They also have wifi.

I hate to bash any local businesses but after a serious rash of problems with friends and family lately, I have removed the Villa de San Quintin from my list of recommendations. All kinds of problems with the hotel AND restaurant lately to the point that I now steer people AWAY from Villa de San Quintin. Too many better options in San Quintin to keep dropping money at a business that is not interested in anything else than your money...

I stayed there just a few nights ago (Villa de San Quintin) and had another great stay. I had another long talk with Rey who owns the place. He took me around to many of his fruit trees and shared what was ripe.

We had a triple room with three beds in two rooms and two tvs. Obviously the hotel has wifi as well. The cost was 830 pesos.

Ron if you have any specific instances, please share them. But I find your statements a bit wreckless.

toneart - 7-12-2015 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
if you make it to Cabo and can't live without some Chinese food try this place!

They must really put it to you...:o:lol:

BajaGringo - 7-12-2015 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

I stayed there just a few nights ago (Villa de San Quintin) and had another great stay. I had another long talk with Rey who owns the place. He took me around to many of his fruit trees and shared what was ripe.

We had a triple room with three beds in two rooms and two tvs. Obviously the hotel has wifi as well. The cost was 830 pesos.

Ron if you have any specific instances, please share them. But I find your statements a bit wreckless.

Sorry amigo but I have been biting my tongue for a long time about Villa de SQ. Lots of complaints lately over bogus/double credit card charges and other service problems in both the hotel and restaurant. The latest issue involves items missing from hotel rooms. I usually send friends and family to Jardines as my first choice but for times when they are all booked up, I would use Villa as another option.

With all the complaints that have been piling up in addition to our experiences there lately with very poor service, I can simply no longer recommend them in good faith.

Sorry...

Bajaboy - 7-12-2015 at 02:59 PM

Sorry amigo but I have been biting my tongue for a long time about Villa de SQ. Lots of complaints lately over bogus/double credit card charges and other service problems in both the hotel and restaurant. The latest issue involves items missing from hotel rooms. I usually send friends and family to Jardines as my first choice but for times when they are all booked up, I would use Villa as another option.

With all the complaints that have been piling up in addition to our experiences there lately with very poor service, I can simply no longer recommend them in good faith.

Sorry...

Just saying, I'm providing a first hand account of my experiences. To bash a business on what someone told you seems a bit unfair. I am primarily talking about the hotel not the restaurant. I've had some great conversations with the owner who seems like a great guy. He's always treated us well.

Did your friends approach the business with their concerns? What was the result? Maybe your friends could post a first hand account instead of you?

Seems like reaching out to the owner might be the right thing to do:light:

BajaGringo - 7-12-2015 at 04:57 PM

Did your friends approach the business with their concerns? What was the result? Maybe your friends could post a first hand account instead of you?

I think you have seen now by the thread on our facebook group that there are many who have had issues with Villa de San Quintin. I am glad to hear that your buddy there takes care of you when you stay Zach, but it simply is not the case for everybody, based on the TalkBaja thread.

They have received enough complaints to know they have a problem. It is up to them now to fix things...

toneart - 7-12-2015 at 05:15 PM

I think you have seen now by the thread on our facebook group that there are many who have had issues with Villa de San Quintin. I am glad to hear that your buddy there takes care of you when you stay Zach, but it simply is not the case for everybody, based on the TalkBaja thread.

They have received enough complaints to know they have a problem. It is up to them now to fix things...

I too have had good meals there and also pleasant conversations with the owner. Location wise, it is a great place to stop for lunch on the way down, or breakfast (if staying in El Rosario or San Quintin). But things change. It is good to get current reports, although they need to be from primary sources.

rts551 - 7-12-2015 at 07:29 PM

To many other places in San Quintin. No need to go to a place with questionable service.

Paulina - 7-12-2015 at 08:43 PM

Parcela 12 is our choice for a quick meal. When you walk in you're greeted by the friendly folks behind the counter/kitchen. They will lift the lid to each pot to show you what's available. You make your choices, your plate is piled high on the spot. Can't get any quicker than that. Tortillas and fresh queso will be brought to your table. I love the honey, so fresh, sometimes with bee parts included.
Sometimes they have machaca de jaiba, usually in the fridge, so for that you'd have to wait for it to be prepared. You can be in and out of Parcela 12 as quick as you can clear your plate, if it's a good quick meal you're looking for.

P>*)))>{

UnoMas - 7-12-2015 at 09:14 PM

BajaGringo lives in San Ouintin and is well connected, I would take his advise over any passers by...Just sayin...:biggrin:

BajaRun - 7-13-2015 at 06:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Another good place is Taquería Parcela #12. Kilometer 16 south of San Quintin.

My Favorite for sure !!!!

Martyman - 7-13-2015 at 08:14 AM

El Cliente-one of those seafood shacks next to the highwayin the San Quintin area. Smoked clams!

woody with a view - 7-13-2015 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  
Parcela 12 is our choice for a quick meal. When you walk in you're greeted by the friendly folks behind the counter/kitchen. They will lift the lid to each pot to show you what's available. You make your choices, your plate is piled high on the spot. Can't get any quicker than that. Tortillas and fresh queso will be brought to your table. I love the honey, so fresh, sometimes with bee parts included.
Sometimes they have machaca de jaiba, usually in the fridge, so for that you'd have to wait for it to be prepared. You can be in and out of Parcela 12 as quick as you can clear your plate, if it's a good quick meal you're looking for.

P>*)))>{

any directions? I've seen it but only at 60mph and can't remember where. any landmarks nearby to watch for?

elgatoloco - 7-13-2015 at 10:43 AM

Across from El Pabelon. Right when you start to slow down for the mini topes heading south pull over and eat. :dudette:

DanO - 7-13-2015 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
El Cliente-one of those seafood shacks next to the highwayin the San Quintin area. Smoked clams!

I'll second that recommendation. East side of the highway, with a whale skeleton out in front. Good fish tacos as well.

BajaGringo - 7-13-2015 at 07:17 PM

Parcela 12 is our choice for a quick meal...

P>*)))>{

any directions? I've seen it but only at 60mph and can't remember where. any landmarks nearby to watch for?

http://tinyurl.com/Parcela12

tripledigitken - 7-13-2015 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Across from El Pabelon. Right when you start to slow down for the mini topes heading south pull over and eat. :dudette:

Must be good, there are usually a few semi trucks parked there.

;)

Paulina - 7-13-2015 at 08:02 PM

Ron's Google map is spot on. After you make that swooping left hand turn (heading south) it's about a half mile down, on the left side of the highway.

P>*)))>{

Tomas Tierra - 7-13-2015 at 09:33 PM

Mmmmmmm Parcela #12.... Definately gets my recommendation...

"muy Ranchero!"

woody with a view - 7-14-2015 at 06:08 AM

is that where all the school buses are always parked? I know the curve anyway. 5 more weeks!

BajaRun - 7-14-2015 at 09:12 AM

Parcela #12 has recently remodeled (6 months) No more hitting my head on the door or ceiling inside.

Yes Woody that's the Place

Bajahowodd - 7-14-2015 at 05:00 PM

P>*)))>{

I get the feeling that you won't make recommendations for you own political reasons, Ron. You live there and certainly don't want to anger anyone.

woody with a view - 7-14-2015 at 05:29 PM

I looked at the tinyurl link and see that it does have a bunch of buses across the street. now that I know where it is i'll be sure to check it out.

rts551 - 7-14-2015 at 05:30 PM

P>*)))>{

I get the feeling that you won't make recommendations for you own political reasons, Ron. You live there and certainly don't want to anger anyone.

Look at the beginning of the thread.

[Edited on 7-15-2015 by rts551]

Bugman - 7-16-2015 at 01:33 PM

I usually stop at Mariscos California taco stand near the south end of town for some of their smoked clam stew. Fast service and good stuff! It is on the west side of the road and was painted blue the last time I was down there.

BajaRat - 7-17-2015 at 09:35 AM

I know they already left but I'm hungry now........
Los Poblanos Taqueria, right hand side coming in to the SQ area just south of the Catholic Church/Pemex station stoplight intersection.
We usually eat some tacos there, take a couple plate fulls to go and what we don't eat is added to future meals or mixed into dog food to feed the hungry pirates.
Thanks for all the new places, we will see you there :cool:

Neal Johns - 7-17-2015 at 01:58 PM

Mision Santa Isabel restaurant just before San Quintin. Been eating there for decades, and if you ask, they let you camp in the parking lot.

Marc - 7-17-2015 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Great locations in San Quintin!

IF you pass San Quintin too early for lunch, an hour or less south is El Rosario... and a yummy lunch stop there is Hugo's TACOS LA MISION on the left, far side of town. Giant burritos, stuffed baked potatoes and wonderful art... It takes me 5 hours to get to El Rosario from the border.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52923

I would never go back there after the way my wife and I were treated a few years ago. They must hate Gringos.