BajaNomad

Weird & historic weather: record rainfall, snow in Hawaii & sierras, hurricanes in Baja... add: volcano eruption

Whale-ista - 7-11-2015 at 05:44 PM

Adding to our weird weather (e.g., early season hurricanes, snow in the Sierras this week): the impact of major volcanic eruptions in Mexico.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very strange year...
Hawaii Just Got Hit By A July Snow Storm (Seriously) http://t.co/TW4pnbRZ4T via @HuffPost #extremeweather http://t.co/Z6HwEHw9ce

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/Volcano/

http://youtu.be/gw24KT8yoV8 (eruption/flows)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwa_iCqDFL0 (various eruptions)

mexiconewsdaily.com/news/big-eruption-last-night-at-volcano-of-fire/

1991 Pinatubo impacts on weather:

The 1991 eruption of Pinatubo produced about 5 cubic kilometers of dacitic magma and may be the second largest volcanic eruption of the century. Eruption columns reached 40 kilometers in altitude and emplaced a giant umbrella cloud in the middle to lower stratosphere that injected about 17 megatons of SO2, slightly more than twice the amount yielded by the 1982 eruption of El Chichón, Mexico. The SO2 formed sulfate aerosols that produced the largest perturbation to the stratospheric aerosol layer since the eruption of Krakatau in 1883. The aerosol cloud spread rapidly around the Earth in about 3 weeks and attained global coverage by about 1 year after the eruption. Peak local midvisible optical depths of up to 0.4 were measured in late 1992, and globally averaged values were about 0.1 to 0.15 for 2 years. The large aerosol cloud caused dramatic decreases in the amount of net radiation reaching the Earth's surface, producing a climate forcing that was two times stronger than the aerosols of El Chichón. Effects on climate were an observed surface cooling in the Northern Hemisphere of up to 0.5 to 0.6°C, equivalent to a hemispheric-wide reduction in net radiation of 4 watts per square meter and a cooling of perhaps as large as -0.4°C over large parts of the Earth in 1992-93. Climate models appear to have predicted the cooling with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The Pinatubo climate forcing was stronger than the opposite, warming effects of either the El Niño event or anthropogenic greenhouse gases in the period 1991-93. As a result of the presence of the aerosol particles, midlatitude ozone concentrations reached their lowest levels on record during 1992-93, the Southern Hemisphere "ozone hole" increased in 1992 to an unprecedented size, and ozone depletion rates were observed to be faster than ever before recorded. The atmospheric impact of the Pinatubo eruption has been profound, and it has sparked a lively interest in the role that volcanic aerosols play in climate change. This event has shown that a powerful eruption providing a 15 to 20 megaton release of SO2 into the stratosphere can produce sufficient aerosols to offset the present global warming trends and severely impact the ozone budget.

[Edited on 7-20-2015 by Whale-ista]

norte - 7-11-2015 at 06:51 PM

Been getting strange. Its what happens when man messes with the environment. We need to change our behavior before the environemtn changes us.

bezzell - 7-11-2015 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Been getting strange. Its what happens when man messes with the environment. We need to change our behavior before the environemtn changes us.

It's already baked into the cake.
That horse has left the barn.

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xdOTyGQOso )

The grandchilds are in for a rough time

Bajaboy - 7-11-2015 at 07:54 PM

uh oh, the Simpletons should be showing up any time now to talk about Shell beach, etc.:(

AKgringo - 7-11-2015 at 08:07 PM

I hear you Whal-ista, and my gut is telling me this might be a very intersting season. I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out, floods, drought, who knows?

I just hope your thread doesn't turn into another environmental name calling, peeing contest. We have had too many of those lately!

Edit; I suppose that the auto correct changing 'iss' to' ee' makes me sound less crude!

[Edited on 7-12-2015 by AKgringo]

grizzlyfsh95 - 7-12-2015 at 07:43 AM

If you carefully arrange sparrow bones on a pewter platter, so that they resemble Stonehenge, and dust them with granite powder, you can influence your environment. If you use crystals in conjunction with certain positive phrases, you can make all be well. It was cold last winter and I made it warm this summer with this method.:biggrin:

LancairDriver - 7-12-2015 at 07:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I hear you Whal-ista, and my gut is telling me this might be a very intersting season. I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out, floods, drought, who knows?

I just hope your thread doesn't turn into another environmental name calling, peeing contest. We have had too many of those lately!

Edit; I suppose that the auto correct changing 'iss' to' ee' makes me sound less crude!

[Edited on 7-12-2015 by AKgringo]

Too late. The head simpleton has already logged in to start the peeing contest.:no::no:

ligui - 7-12-2015 at 07:51 AM

I love Shell beach :bounce:

bezzell - 7-12-2015 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

Too late. The head simpleton has already logged in to start the peeing contest.:no::no:

There are no longer any peeing contests.
Only those that are peeing (w/ science) ... and those that are being peed on!

Whale-ista - 7-12-2015 at 01:14 PM

Just posting the variables. As in many calculations, More variables create more uncertainty and unlikely/unpredictable outcomes.

I'm in the home I grew up in, 5 miles from the hospital where I was born. I've seen a lot of changes in my hometown over the last half century. But a benefit of living in the same place for decades: I have a good longterm perspective of change over time.

Related: I'm caring for two desert tortoises that have been in our family since the 60s. Estimate their ages at 70 to 80 years old since they were adults when we adopted them. It's been interesting to watch their activity and hibernation calendars change over that period of time.

[Edited on 7-12-2015 by Whale-ista]

toneart - 7-12-2015 at 02:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95  
If you carefully arrange sparrow bones on a pewter platter, so that they resemble Stonehenge, and dust them with granite powder, you can influence your environment. If you use crystals in conjunction with certain positive phrases, you can make all be well. It was cold last winter and I made it warm this summer with this method.:biggrin:

I accomplished the same thing with two women. The research was arduous, but I say, anything to advance the science. Oh, and it can be done on Shell Beach, too. :lol:

Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with Global Warming. I am not sharing my laboratory with the rest of the world. :no::smug::spingrin:

bajabuddha - 7-12-2015 at 02:45 PM

Well, I'll be at Sun Nova Beach !! :cool:

BajaDanD - 7-12-2015 at 03:40 PM

where is shell beach anyway

BajaRat - 7-12-2015 at 03:57 PM

^^^Good to see ya Tone.
We are setting in for a third year of great Monsoon activity with above average rain fall up here on the Rim, guess ya never know till all the data's in but I'm hoping for wetter not drier summers.

toneart - 7-12-2015 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
^^^Good to see ya Tone.
We are setting in for a third year of great Monsoon activity with above average rain fall up here on the Rim, guess ya never know till all the data's in but I'm hoping for wetter not drier summers.

Thank you, BRat! "Wetter Summers"...just so you don't get devastating floods like Texas and Baja Sur. We need rain to eliminate our drought here in California. An El NIno current is predicted. How that will affect us remains to be seen.

I may know you. If so, send me a U2U.

Tony

David K - 7-12-2015 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaDanD  

By Punta Chivato, NE of Mulege.

blackwolfmt - 7-12-2015 at 06:30 PM

It has been weird weather in the San Juans May we had 12" of moisture snow rain ect, June was 2.75 rain and july so far we are at 4+ inches of rain

Mexitron - 7-13-2015 at 04:13 AM

Was just reading that the current El Nino is setting up to be even stronger than 1982-3 and 1997-8. They've never measured water as warm in the Eastern Pacific. In fact the worry is that it's so warm the southern jet won't materialize to take advantage of all the tropical moisture available. Should be a good monsoon summer either way though

Whale-ista - 7-13-2015 at 09:34 AM

^^Makes sense. The monsoons have already started. In late June we had "Monsoonal flows" in San Diego.

This created a little rain, lots of humidity, plus thunder and lightning in the mountains east of San Diego.

They also started early up in Flagstaff, just as my sister was re roofing her house. Earliest she's seen in 20 years.

[Edited on 7-13-2015 by Whale-ista]

ligui - 7-13-2015 at 06:21 PM

Colorado mts . most rain we've seen in my 34 yrs here .

bajabuddha - 7-13-2015 at 09:06 PM

This El Niño is not only pushing all records, but is predicted to go at least another year, and probably two (sorry, lost the links to back it up). The blessed part is, the warm Pacific currents that make an El Niño are pointed right at Sandy Eggo. This means the warmer than usual ocean waters will reach from Tortuga northward, and maybe the larger tropical storm trough will carry farther than mid-peninsula. Lordy knows SoCal needs some moisture. I Googled, and the last 'hurricane' to hit Sandy Eggo was in ..... 1884? 89? Anyway, they're due. No climate change here, happens every 150 years or so.

Here in Baja, New Mexico (southern, not the 'town' for those who google) it's been cooler than normal, and monsoonal moisture has been a little farther north than usual..... except for the mountains to the west of the State....... so far. This is what I love about an El Niño: ALL BETS ARE OFF. All 'normal' weather patterns are upset, nad the apple cart is ka-tilt. This El Niño is predicted to be a multi-year event. "Mama Natura, Cada Loco Con Sú Tema !!! "

Whale-ista - 7-14-2015 at 09:01 AM

Two years?

Let's hope these El Niño style weather patterns don't become the new normal.

Extreme drought countered by extreme rain puts a lot of stress on human infrastructure as well as ecosystems.

Mexitron - 7-14-2015 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
This El Niño is not only pushing all records, but is predicted to go at least another year, and probably two (sorry, lost the links to back it up). The blessed part is, the warm Pacific currents that make an El Niño are pointed right at Sandy Eggo. This means the warmer than usual ocean waters will reach from Tortuga northward, and maybe the larger tropical storm trough will carry farther than mid-peninsula. Lordy knows SoCal needs some moisture. I Googled, and the last 'hurricane' to hit Sandy Eggo was in ..... 1884? 89? Anyway, they're due. No climate change here, happens every 150 years or so.

Here in Baja, New Mexico (southern, not the 'town' for those who google) it's been cooler than normal, and monsoonal moisture has been a little farther north than usual..... except for the mountains to the west of the State....... so far. This is what I love about an El Niño: ALL BETS ARE OFF. All 'normal' weather patterns are upset, nad the apple cart is ka-tilt. This El Niño is predicted to be a multi-year event. "Mama Natura, Cada Loco Con Sú Tema !!! "

Last hurricane to hit SoCal I think was 1939---was a tropical storm by the time it reached land somewhere around Newport/Long Beach. Schools in South Pasadena had been cancelled because of the extreme heat ahead of the storm and my mom's family went down to Laguna...they were watching the big surf from the driving winds and saw the pier at Victor Hugo's get washed away. Those years of 1938-39 were classic El Nino and there was a lot of flooding in the Santa Ana River basin (before Del Prado Dam was built to mitigate flooding).

David K - 7-14-2015 at 10:13 AM

Thanks Mexitron... great local history!

Growing up on the beach in Del Mar (San Diego County), I remember a series of water spouts we watched, and caused us to evacuate... some came ashore by Newport Beach or nearby?? and did damage as tornadoes. I will see if I can find the year, but 1962-64 may be the range?

Mexitron - 7-15-2015 at 05:02 AM

I remember some roofs being torn off a couple houses in North Laguna, but more like the late 60s...might have been that wild 1969 winter where it rained for 6 straight weeks...Topanga, Silverado, Laguna, Tujunga Canyons and others got scoured.

David K - 7-15-2015 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
I remember some roofs being torn off a couple houses in North Laguna, but more like the late 60s...might have been that wild 1969 winter where it rained for 6 straight weeks...Topanga, Silverado, Laguna, Tujunga Canyons and others got scoured.

Yes, I remember when it snowed in San Diego, even the coast, in 1967.. wild weather is nothing new, but people's memories are just too short... or they are too young to remember!

The damage we saw from the waterspouts/tornadoes was from along Hwy. 1 in Orange County. I also remember driving by a military storage yard full of mines (big balls with the projections all around). Early 60's for sure.

I tried looking at a few pages on Google, but I found nothing that old about water spouts off Del Mar/ San Diego... just newer stories.

StuckSucks - 7-15-2015 at 10:56 AM

Over Memorial Day, we camped at the Alabama Hills and got snow on Saturday night:

Mexitron - 7-15-2015 at 02:12 PM

Wow, nice pics!

Bajaboy - 7-15-2015 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  

Yes, I remember when it snowed in San Diego, even the coast, in 1967.. wild weather is nothing new, but people's memories are just too short... or they are too young to remember!

The damage we saw from the waterspouts/tornadoes was from along Hwy. 1 in Orange County. I also remember driving by a military storage yard full of mines (big balls with the projections all around). Early 60's for sure.

I tried looking at a few pages on Google, but I found nothing that old about water spouts off Del Mar/ San Diego... just newer stories.

Would you say the weather is getting more predictable or less predictable:?:

David K - 7-15-2015 at 04:29 PM

Weather... ? Well, that changes day to day... or stays the same all week... no mater what the prediction was. The forcast is usually 50/50 if they predict rain.

We had more rain in the month of May this year than in the past 50 in that month (it seems). Just wait until this winter (based on the super El Niño "prediction") for the draught-cancelling rain!

Why the concern about predictions? We don't know the future, but we sure can see the past... and it is even better if they don't flip the graphs around!

Check Nomad posts in early 2010... just 5 1/2 years ago... floods, washed out bridges along Highway 1 (Mexico)... the bog going to Mission Santa Maria was 2-3 feet deep. Cameron's Rip to the Tip video this year showed it was damp or dry... no standing water.

Weather cahanges and cycles over just a short span of time. Climate does too, but only over 100's to 1,000's of years... Nothing you can witness in a single lifetime... all natural and normal.

Bajaboy - 7-15-2015 at 04:40 PM

Weather... ? Well, that changes day to day... or stays the same all week... no mater what the prediction was. The forcast is usually 50/50 if they predict rain.

We had more rain in the month of May this year than in the past 50 in that month (it seems). Just wait until this winter (based on the super El Niño "prediction") for the draught-cancelling rain!

Why the concern about predictions? We don't know the future, but we sure can see the past... and it is even better if they don't flip the graphs around!

Check Nomad posts in early 2010... just 5 1/2 years ago... floods, washed out bridges along Highway 1 (Mexico)... the bog going to Mission Santa Maria was 2-3 feet deep. Cameron's Rip to the Tip video this year showed it was damp or dry... no standing water.

Weather cahanges and cycles over just a short span of time. Climate does too, but only over 100's to 1,000's of years... Nothing you can witness in a single lifetime... all natural and normal.

Here is my answer which is much less convoluted than yours: Less predictable. Did you even answer the question?

David K - 7-15-2015 at 04:55 PM

I did answer you Zack.. you asked my opinion if the weather was more or less predictable, and I told you I thought it was 50/50... then explained why I had that answer...

Did you even read my answer?

;)

Bajaboy - 7-15-2015 at 05:02 PM

I did answer you Zack.. you asked my opinion if the weather was more or less predictable, and I told you I thought it was 50/50... then explained why I had that answer...

Did you even read my answer?

;)

I read it a few times.....:no:

David K - 7-15-2015 at 05:07 PM

So you think predictions (guesses, often wrong) are more valuable than recorded climate history?

Erratic weather extremes vs un/predictability

Whale-ista - 7-15-2015 at 05:41 PM

Bajaboy- rather than wondering if weather is getting more or less "predictable" many people are wondering if weather is getting more erratic and/or extreme.

Recent local examples include highest recorded sea surface temperatures in the eastern Pacific, yet snow in the Sierras in July. Those are pretty radical extremes for the summer months.

Those extreme variations over short periods of time are what create concern. They add to the unpredictability of forecasting, and also indicate some elements of climate change that have been studied and recorded by researchers.

Here's a discussion of this observation:

"Just this week, a new article appeared in the journal Nature that provides more evidence of a connection between extreme weather and global warming. This falls on the heels of last week’s article which made a similar connection. So, what is new with the second paper? A lot.

"Extreme weather can be exacerbated by global warming either because the currents of atmosphere and oceans change, or it can be exacerbated through thermodynamics (the interaction of heat, energy, moisture, etc.). Last week’s study dealt with just the thermodynamics. This week’s study presents a method to deal with both.

"The authors, Daniel Horton, Noah Diffenbaugh and colleagues used a new technique to tease apart the complex influences of warming on changes to atmospheric circulation. Dr. Horton told me,

"Our study focuses on the need to understand the underlying physical causes of extreme weather events, and to systematically test whether the probability of those underlying conditions has changed in recent decades. Events that are so extreme that they fall outside of our historical experience often result from a suite of complex interacting factors. To better understand these factors we’ve developed a method that allows us to partition the climate influences."

For the complete report go to https://www.skepticalscience.com/more-evidence-gw-intensifyi...

Hope this is helpful.

dtbushpilot - 7-15-2015 at 06:06 PM

Don't take the bait David....

woody with a view - 7-15-2015 at 06:10 PM

all the feel-gooders in the world can't change the fact that it may be getting warmer! turn off your computer, unplug from the grid, stop driving your cars AND THEN we can talk about it.

since no one is willing to do that...... carry on!

Whale-ista - 7-15-2015 at 06:18 PM

Just a reminder, the subject of this post is: "Weird weather: snow in sierras, hurricanes in Baja... add: volcano eruption"

Extremes are part of the mix, and some researchers think we are seeing more extremes.

Warmer ocean temperatures mean more volatile hurricanes, traveling more northward.

As I said in my first post: I think we're in for a weird year...

woody with a view - 7-15-2015 at 06:24 PM

someone once said, "keep on the straight and narrow".

you aren't living if you aren't into extremes! bring it on! surf will be pumping end of this weekend. gonna go get some!

mtgoat666 - 7-15-2015 at 07:32 PM

So you think predictions (guesses, often wrong) are more valuable than recorded climate history?

Well, a prediction of what will happen tomorrow is more useful to me than the history of what happenned yesterday!

Lets make some predictions based on history! . I predict Hillary will be next president, the San Andreas will let loose in next decade or so and wipe out a lot, a subduction quake off Washington state will destroy western Washington sometime in next 20 years or so, and we are all climatically flocked because we can't put the collective we before or own self interests!

Bajaboy - 7-15-2015 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Bajaboy- rather than wondering if weather is getting more or less "predictable" many people are wondering if weather is getting more erratic and/or extreme.

Recent local examples include highest recorded sea surface temperatures in the eastern Pacific, yet snow in the Sierras in July. Those are pretty radical extremes for the summer months.

Those extreme variations over short periods of time are what create concern. They add to the unpredictability of forecasting, and also indicate some elements of climate change that have been studied and recorded by researchers.

Here's a discussion of this observation:

"Just this week, a new article appeared in the journal Nature that provides more evidence of a connection between extreme weather and global warming. This falls on the heels of last week’s article which made a similar connection. So, what is new with the second paper? A lot.

"Extreme weather can be exacerbated by global warming either because the currents of atmosphere and oceans change, or it can be exacerbated through thermodynamics (the interaction of heat, energy, moisture, etc.). Last week’s study dealt with just the thermodynamics. This week’s study presents a method to deal with both.

"The authors, Daniel Horton, Noah Diffenbaugh and colleagues used a new technique to tease apart the complex influences of warming on changes to atmospheric circulation. Dr. Horton told me,

"Our study focuses on the need to understand the underlying physical causes of extreme weather events, and to systematically test whether the probability of those underlying conditions has changed in recent decades. Events that are so extreme that they fall outside of our historical experience often result from a suite of complex interacting factors. To better understand these factors we’ve developed a method that allows us to partition the climate influences."

For the complete report go to https://www.skepticalscience.com/more-evidence-gw-intensifyi...

Hope this is helpful.

I stand by my statement. Weather in California used to be very predictable depending on where one lived. Over the past 10 years or so, things have gotten less predictable.

With that, we've also had some extreme weather but as David said, weather can be extreme. I suspect this year Southern California and Baja/Sur will see extreme rain. I just spent a good part of my month in Bahia Asuncion replacing roofing, weather proofing, etc.

The science is there to support man made climate change regardless of what someone on Nomads tries to suggest.

Mas, I can say that we are making changes in our lives and trying to educate our next generation with regards to man's impact on Mother Earth. I guess the alternative would be so simple:light:;D

rts551 - 7-15-2015 at 08:50 PM

If you are always looking behind you, you will never know where you are going.

rts551 - 7-15-2015 at 08:52 PM

Can you imagine trying to drive while always looking in the review mirror?

Whale-ista - 7-19-2015 at 07:47 AM

So- forget considering history: how about making history?

"An inch of rain was collected at Lindbergh Field, the National Weather Service said, which made Saturday the wettest July day in the region’s history and set a record for the wettest July ever."

The thunder claps that woke me yesterday were part of a very unstable storm cell and included lightning strikes that knocked out power to almost 4000 people in my neighborhood. The noise rattled windows and set off car alarms.

Weird, wet and wild weather, and the El Niño hasn't even "officially" begun!

carlosg - 7-19-2015 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
So- forget considering history: how about making history?...

...The thunder claps that woke me yesterday were part of a very unstable storm cell and included lightning strikes that knocked out power to almost 4000 people in my neighborhood. The noise rattled windows and set off car alarms.

Weird, wet and wild weather, and the El Niño hasn't even "officially" begun!

Yesterday noon right before our team's soccer match at 4S Ranch in Rancho Bernardo in San Diego, the tournament was canceled for the day due to the fact that lightning struck the field where my son's team was to play a match, my two sons explained told me how the earth shook, the unbelievable thunder and intense blue light that took place... it was scary and many children were crying and very surprised of what just had happened...

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Pacific...

Whale-ista - 7-19-2015 at 07:21 PM

Hawaii Just Got Hit By A July Snow Storm (Seriously) http://t.co/TW4pnbRZ4T via @HuffPost #extremeweather http://t.co/Z6HwEHw9ce

bajabuddha - 7-19-2015 at 07:52 PM

Not surprising, as the Big Island is just under 14,000 feet above sea level, and where it originated on the ocean floor is over 33,000 FEET. Now, that's a beeeeg hill!

SKI HAWAII !!

Whale-ista - 7-19-2015 at 09:40 PM

In addition to snow- also record rain hitting the islands.

"Rains Wednesday set records on Kauai and Maui. The rainfall total of .34 inches at Lihue Airport broke a record for the date of .21 inches set in 2001. Kahului Airport's .34 inches broke the old record of .25 set in 1958."

(FWIW, 1958 was an El Niño year)

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Not surprising, as the Big Island is just under 14,000 feet above sea level, and where it originated on the ocean floor is over 33,000 FEET. Now, that's a beeeeg hill!

SKI HAWAII !!

JZ - 7-19-2015 at 09:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaDanD  

By Punta Chivato, NE of Mulege.

Damn, I always thought it was way North of there. I just drove right by there on my boat.

chuckie - 7-19-2015 at 10:49 PM

Shell Island...

mtgoat666 - 7-20-2015 at 06:22 PM

It's a record breaking year. In today's news....

WASHINGTON (AP) — Earth dialed the heat up in June, smashing warm temperature records for both the month and the first half of the year.

Off-the-charts heat is "getting to be a monthly thing," said Jessica Blunden, a climate scientist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. June was the fourth month of 2015 that set a record, she said.

"There is almost no way that 2015 isn't going to be the warmest on record," she added.

NOAA calculated that the world's average temperature in June hit 61.48 degrees Fahrenheit (16.33 Celsius), breaking the old record set last year by 0.22 degrees (.12 degrees Celsius). Usually temperature records are broken by one or two one-hundredths of a degree, not nearly a quarter of a degree, Blunden said.

And the picture is even more dramatic when the half-year is considered...

---

bezzell - 7-21-2015 at 07:58 AM

ohhhh goat, the weather's always changing. always has, always will.
I know this 'cause I like to selectively believe some things the scientists say :rolleyes::rolleyes: :fire:

(we simply took a wrong turn a couple hundred yrs ago.
ni modo)