BajaNomad

Time to mod the suspension: Ride Rites and Bilstein 5100s

David K - 7-12-2015 at 08:29 PM

My 2010 Double Cab 4WD Toyota Tacoma has a little over 75,000 miles on it, and the rear suspension has recently felt rougher...

Given the miles, age, and countless Baja and Ocotillo Wells Desert runs, it seemed fair to think the rear springs were finally in need of some help!

A little history: My previous truck (2005 Tacoma DC 4WD) had really soft rear springs, and the truck would 'bottom-out' the suspension on any bumps if driven at speed. This was the first year for the second generation Tacoma, and they obviously went too soft with the three leaf rear springs. I solved the problem by installing Ride-Rite Air Springs (commonly called 'air bags') which would replace the bump stops, have adjustable ride (and height) based on the amount of air added (typically between 15-35 psi for me). I also had Bilstein 5100 rear shocks installed (one of the factory TRD Bilstein shocks had busted on our Baja trip in 2007). The 5100s are a big level up from the stock models and made for trucks with lifts, as well. The ride was wonderful, and no more bottoming, no matter what kind of load.

When I traded in the 2005 for the 2010 truck, I had the dealer remove the air bags, just in case I needed them on the new truck... which still had only a 3 leaf spring on the back wheels. Gleefully, the 2010 (Mexican built) Tacoma had better quality leaf springs and the truck did not bottom out, under the same conditions as the '05 had.

With the recent rough ride conditions, I had the Ride Rite air bags installed on my 2010 by a great local mechanic in Vista, CA (an off road motorcycle racer and former Toyota tech) named Jason... or 'Speed Freek' on the Tacoma World forums.

When Jason removed my back tires, we could see that one of the factory shocks was blown, the oil long gone, and was doing nothing to slow the bounce. The other has some damage to the plastic that looked like melting, but probably was caused by rubbing with the spring during some severe off road articulation of the rear axle.

NEW BILSTEINS on order, a Fathers's Day gift... not just the back two, but the fronts as well (which have a adjustable lift ring built on).

The air bags worked just like new, and with just 20 psi in them, the truck raised 3 inches in back! I dropped them to 14 psi, as without shocks on the back, the ride is too bouncy!!!

The air bags were installed last week and the rear Bilstein 5100s arrived at Stewart's Raceworks, yesterday and I picked them up today from my stepson Josh! They will be installed soon!

Some photos:

Blown back driver's side factory shock (probably why my ride was so rough recently).

Passenger side stock rear shock.

Jason working on the air bag install.

Air bag (driver's side) in place.

Passenger side air bag in place and bolted in (not all the hardware was preserved, we discovered, but Jason had the missing parts.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is from the Bilstein video describing the adjustable front 5100 shocks and what amount of lift they give. I have been told that it is actually a bit less than advertised (0.85" instead of 1" for example).

The fronts are still not in, but I got the back shocks today! Thanks to all my kids!

Stay tuned for the rear shock install and the front shocks... coming soon!

AKgringo - 7-12-2015 at 08:48 PM

I am generally a tight wad, but tires and shocks are something that I replace long before they are worn out. My tires need to handle snow in the Sierras as well as beaches in Baja, so I replace them at about 50% tread. The ride improves too!

The tires are worth something to somebody else at that point, or in the case of my last set, they went on my utility trailer. That gives me two spares that will fit any position on the car or trailer.

Replacing the shocks before they start leaking or clanging not only gives me the best performance, it increases tire life.

Cappy - 7-13-2015 at 05:25 AM

the 5100's on my 4x4 F250 are the best. i replaced them at 55,000 miles and noticed a huge improvement. Unfortunately I got 6 of them on my rig $$$

David K - 7-13-2015 at 07:55 AM

Agree on the tires thing and the shocks if they leak. I just hadn't crawled under my truck recently to see the oil leaking out of it. I hope the 5100s last longer than 55,000 miles. Being a lighter truck with rarely a heavy load in it, it should be fine for several years.

Tires: once they begin to get flats, then it's time for new ones. The BFG Rugged Trail TAs (known as "Rugged Fails" on Tacoma World) that come with the truck are good to only about 20,000 miles before failes begin... Others I have run are good to 25,000-45,000 miles and include brands such as Destiny Dakota AT, Cooper Discoverer STT, Cooper Discoverer ATR, Toyo Open Country AT, and Hankook Dynapro ATM.

willyAirstream - 7-13-2015 at 02:14 PM

I am running the 5100 on the race car and the Willys and they are great, even 4 hour races and they still perform. shockwarehouse.com had the best prices last year.

David K - 7-13-2015 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
I am running the 5100 on the race car and the Willys and they are great, even 4 hour races and they still perform. shockwarehouse.com had the best prices last year.

Thank's... good to hear! I had the 5100's on the back of my '05 truck, and they were perfect then.

The new back shocks are going on today, looking forward to it!

ehall - 7-13-2015 at 02:56 PM

I have the bilsteins on my rubicon. Pretty good ride considering the mods. I have made.

Lee - 7-13-2015 at 03:08 PM

I have Ride Rites on my truck (2006 Ford F350) front and back. Got external valve stems installed on the front bumper initially then decided I needed a gauge inside (for psi display and ease in filling the bags). Good choices.

woody with a view - 7-13-2015 at 03:22 PM

AJUSA.com has the best prices around since they are 10 miles from Billy's distribution center in Poway they send a truck to pick up their orders. they offer free shipping as well. Shockwarehouse leaves people hanging without telling them product is backordered, in my case for 2 weeks until I called and cancelled.

I don't know about the Tacos but if you set your front 5100's higher than the middle setting you should install a front differential drop kit to take some of the stress off your CV joints. at least that's how the Tundras are done.

TMW - 7-13-2015 at 03:47 PM

Woody that is interesting on the diff. drop. I did it to my 04 Tacoma. However on Tacoma World there are several people who claim the 2 gen. Tacoma diff. drop does not actually drop the diff. I don't understand why and since I don't have access to a 2nd gen Tacoma I can't look for myself. Maybe someone on Nomad can shed some light on this.

David K - 7-13-2015 at 04:33 PM

With the Ride Rites in back now, I can raise my truck several inches... but more importantly, I can level it with a load in back... and never 'bottom-out' on bumps.

When I get the 5100s in front, I will set them up ONLY to the first lift (1" or .085", depending on who you believe). I am not getting taller tires, so no need to lift it 2 or 2.5 inches (the next two settings available).

The rear shocks were just installed by Jason this afternoon... I just got home... the ride is great!

The 5100s are nearly double the size of the stock yellow Bilsteins.

woody with a view - 7-13-2015 at 06:25 PM

https://www.facebook.com/AJUSAauto?fref=nf

Tomas Tierra - 7-13-2015 at 09:53 PM

I run the same set up on an '05 tundra double cab.. DK, I would consider the second lift on the front shocks... It made my truck perfectly level... Different truck I know, but give it some thought.. It's a lot of dough to change it..

Best set up I've ever run

bajamedic - 7-13-2015 at 10:31 PM

David, my new motorhome came with airbags in the rear. They seem to leak our all of their air within a week of travel, is this normal? JH

David K - 7-13-2015 at 11:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
David, my new motorhome came with airbags in the rear. They seem to leak our all of their air within a week of travel, is this normal? JH

NO! Check the lines and connections. When I had them on my 2005 Tacoma, (installed in 2007 and until I traded it in December, 2009), I only had to add a tiny bit of air every several weeks, from what I recall... no more than once a month. I will be watching them closely, so I will let you know how they do again. Right now they are set at 13-14 psi.

Ken Cooke - 7-14-2015 at 09:48 AM

That's a nice setup, David. I would remove the dust boots and wax the shocks to keep that brilliant shine. The dust boots merely damage the finish of the shock where they retain dust/dirt, etc.

David K - 7-14-2015 at 09:53 AM

Thanks Ken,
the zinc coated shocks are pretty, but totally out of sight when the tires are on, and my truck is for work and Baja, not a trade show... so I probably won't wax them. Why remove the dust boots? Isn't keeping dirt off the moving shaft a good thing?

You going to Baja this summer? We leave in 4 days!

Ken Cooke - 7-14-2015 at 10:58 AM

When you removed your last set of shocks, did you notice all of the dust inside of the dust boot? They seem to trap dust better than guard against dust/dirt.

David K - 7-14-2015 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
When you removed your last set of shocks, did you notice all of the dust inside of the dust boot? They seem to trap dust better than guard against dust/dirt.

No dust boots on the blue/yellow Billies... see photos above.

Bob53 - 8-4-2015 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
AJUSA.com has the best prices around since they are 10 miles from Billy's distribution center in Poway they send a truck to pick up their orders. they offer free shipping as well. Shockwarehouse leaves people hanging without telling them product is backordered, in my case for 2 weeks until I called and cancelled.

I don't know about the Tacos but if you set your front 5100's higher than the middle setting you should install a front differential drop kit to take some of the stress off your CV joints. at least that's how the Tundras are done.

Good call on AJUSA. I just ordered 5100s from them for the Burb. $69.95 ea. w/free shipping.

woody with a view - 8-4-2015 at 04:46 PM

get some for the front as well since they are adjustable you can level or raise the front.

Bob53 - 8-4-2015 at 05:25 PM

I did. Front and rear.

woody with a view - 8-4-2015 at 05:35 PM

wow! my fronts were +/- $90. you scored! when we going south?

Bob53 - 8-5-2015 at 12:33 PM

Heading down to San Quintin in a week or two. Back down to my house at Bahia around 10/1 for two weeks.

David K - 8-30-2015 at 07:06 PM

OKAY, got the front 5100's on today, and set the lift to the first level up from stock (0.85 inches), of the 4 choices (stock, 0.85", 1.75", 2.50"). Next, get the front end alignment checked/ adjusted, as recommended with any front lift.

No photos, and I only drove 5 miles on them, but the truck rides great on the freeway and street, so far.

Bob53 - 8-31-2015 at 11:40 AM

Mine rides very nice as well after installing the 5100's.

CortezBlue - 8-31-2015 at 05:35 PM

Air bags only take the bad ride up and down and send it side to side.

You will learn to hate them.

David K - 8-31-2015 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

Not in my case... I had them (these same ones) for three years on my 2005 Tacoma before. It has too soft rear springs and needed help. The Ride Rites solved the issue perfectly!

My 2010 Tacoma had much better rear springs, but after 5 years now, they could use some help... and the Ride Rites are again doing a perfect job. You do understand the stock leaf springs stay on the truck and the air bags simply replace the bump stops giving you adjustable ride height/ and firmness... i.e. no bottoming out. The stock suspension still controls the side to side issue I think you are talking about.

bajatrailrider - 9-1-2015 at 09:52 AM

David What Cortezblue said on airbags is true. I have installed them on many rigs.Complaints side to side from people. I dont remember what brand.If it has air fill valve with Y fitting.One fitting to fill both bags.thats is your enemy.Install one fill valve,per bag.No more side to side rocking,they work perfect that way. Also My Deisel Nissan I bought KYBs front HD gas shocks.Junk truck bottomed out everywhere,blew out seals/oil on shocks 1 month later.Put 5100s on,works like million bucks no more bottoming out.:D

David K - 9-1-2015 at 10:22 AM

Yes thanks Larry. My air bags have independent fill valves so no side to side issues. The 5100s are great for our needs I believe.

David K - 9-1-2015 at 01:29 PM

Had new brake pads installed today by my Vista mechanic, Jason (he races motorcycles and used to race Baja)... Gave me a chance to take a photo of the front Bilstein 5100s, since I was not there when he installed them last Saunday...

rts551 - 9-1-2015 at 03:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Not in my case... I had them (these same ones) for three years on my 2005 Tacoma before. It has too soft rear springs and needed help. The Ride Rites solved the issue perfectly!

My 2010 Tacoma had much better rear springs, but after 5 years now, they could use some help... and the Ride Rites are again doing a perfect job. You do understand the stock leaf springs stay on the truck and the air bags simply replace the bump stops giving you adjustable ride height/ and firmness... i.e. no bottoming out. The stock suspension still controls the side to side issue I think you are talking about.

After 5 years and the springs need "help". I don't understand. Toyota springs wear out?

chuckie - 9-1-2015 at 03:50 PM

OH MY! Toyota made in Mexico showing wear? (Drum roll-lightning strike) Aside from that I have airbags on Smokey, mixed feelings on them...I am going to install the Bilsteins front and back before I leave on the fall Safari....Report will follow eventually.....

chuckie - 9-1-2015 at 03:54 PM

DK...FYI: The parts vendors show that the Springs for the 2005 and 2010 are the same spring, same part number....I bet yours were "special"

rts551 - 9-1-2015 at 03:59 PM

Pictures too chuckie....lots of them......want to see if they look like mine. maybe the colors changed....do you call your Billies as well?

chuckie - 9-1-2015 at 04:34 PM

No, I call them "spendy"....:o

Rear spring saga

John M - 9-1-2015 at 04:52 PM

My 2006 Tacoma 4x4 had a three leaf with overload leaf from the factory. A couple of years later Toyota did a "technical service bulletin" on the rear springs - something to the effect that it wasn't a recall but if the customer complained about bottoming out then the dealer had an option to replace with a four leaf + overload leaf. I convinced my local Toyota dealer that my truck qualified for the replacement and after quite a bit of back and forth they did it. The parting comment from the service writer was "you know, no matter how harsh the new ride you can't get your old springs back!" OK said I.

The four leaf was an improvement in carrying capacity I believe.

Now, within the past year Toyota announced they are doing another rear spring replacement for an issue involving one of the leafs breaking - or something like that. I'm on the waiting list, have been more than six months for that magical phone call.

I decided not to wait and got Deaver 9 (or is it 10) leaf springs. What a ride difference, and loaded I don't hit the stock bump stops any more.

Maybe Toyota should contract with Deaver?? I run Bilstein 5100 on the rear but will upgrade to Icon reservoir shocks to match the front when I win the lottery this Friday, or Sunday, or never.

John M

David K - 9-1-2015 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
DK...FYI: The parts vendors show that the Springs for the 2005 and 2010 are the same spring, same part number....I bet yours were "special"

I took photos of the spring numbers on the '05 and the '10 and they are different numbers.

Unless the otherwise identical 4 door 4WD Tacomas (2005 vs. 2010) somehow are different weights, the only explanation for why the 2010 did not bottom-out at the same places the 2005 did would be better/ different rear springs on the 2010.

David K - 9-1-2015 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

After 5 years and the springs need "help". I don't understand. Toyota springs wear out?

Yes, do springs on GM trucks not wear out? Really??

chuckie - 9-1-2015 at 05:14 PM

I got the data from Toyota and two independent suppliers...I'll call them in the morning and let them know they are wrong...

David K - 9-1-2015 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I got the data from Toyota and two independent suppliers...I'll call them in the morning and let them know they are wrong...

Do whatever floats your boat. If I recall, the letter K was not on the 2005, maybe other parts as well?

Here is my 2010 Left side rear spring number:

rts551 - 9-1-2015 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Yes, do springs on GM trucks not wear out? Really??

geeze. don't k now... but in 285,000 miles on my Ford they did not. Only got 40,000 on the Ram........ why is it when you have a problem with the Toyota you
point the finger somewhere else?

David K - 9-1-2015 at 05:54 PM

I didn't point somewhere else. I have always freely said what the negatives are of my 2005 Tacoma... there were 3, and the rear springs were one.

Most Tacomas are not sold to folks wanting a heavy duty load truck, so they make it comfortable for driving. I am not agreeing with that, but that is the answer.

Your surprise about spring wear had me wonder what U.S. brand is free from wearing out. That's great news about the Ford.

CortezBlue - 9-1-2015 at 07:25 PM

I forgot you have a Mini Truck not a full size

Tioloco - 9-1-2015 at 09:21 PM

Cortez-
Be Careful callin it a mini..... Some here are pretty sensitive about their cute little rigs!

David K - 9-1-2015 at 09:27 PM

1/3 smaller and twice the fun! :light::biggrin:

Tioloco - 9-1-2015 at 09:33 PM

Haha!
It may be small, but it's a smooth runnin' little devil!!!

TMW - 9-2-2015 at 10:51 AM

I've done add a leafs on every truck I've owned. I added two on my GMC Z71. Also added two to the Wheeler spring pack on my Tacoma. Breaking leaf springs is what I do best off road.

bajatrailrider - 9-3-2015 at 08:58 AM

My last truck before Nissan diesel,was new 12 Tacoma crew cab,I have always owed Toyota's.They have served me well,except this truck.Many problems dealer could not fix.It also had the spring problem in the rear,with two dirt bikes,on the bump stops.I did 3in ADL fixed it perfect,still had great ride.This 12 was the only bad Toyota I have ever owned.Also Every Dodge,Ford,Chev,I have owned never had rear Susp go bad.My 96 Dodge Cummings over 280mi rear springs,still work perfect.My 14 Nissan opposite problem of the Toyota,it had 4 leafs in the rear.Noway to drive the truck,two of them overloads 1/2 in thick.Removed them both put one long ADL in rear.Cant win um all.Im still working on Mission tour for you David.

David K - 9-3-2015 at 09:10 AM

Thanks Larry, appreciate it!

They all can't be winners sadly. I really don't have anything bad to say about Nissan, there just are not very many out there... same thing with Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Suzuki, and any other Asian brand pickups (are there any more?). The Tacoma has owned the smaller size truck market here for so long, it has to be due to the majority of them being winners. That is why hearing of a bad Toyota is so unusual. The people here on the Baja Internet were strongly pushing me to buy a Tacoma when I was in the market for a Baja truck, back in 2000. It took a Ford dealer lack of interest in my trade in to keep me from getting a Ranger then. I am glad of it, as my 2001 Tacoma was unreal in how reliable and capable it was!

CortezBlue - 9-3-2015 at 06:49 PM

Oh Man I got Censored.

For those of you who didn't see it, I will clean it up

We are talking about trucks not p****s's

:yes:

CortezBlue - 9-3-2015 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

Oh Man I got Censored.

What!!??!!

Hey, the way I see it if I have to add a leaf to stiffen up the ride no biggie but, more importantly, I gotta have a super-low gear to grind it out so I get 'er up and over the peak.

But, that's just me.

If you are out in the bush and have problems there is always duct tape and twigs to get UP the peak:saint:

TMW - 9-3-2015 at 07:46 PM

Oh Man I got Censored.

Where have you been in your truck?

Have you been over the summit, #1 will do.

Have you been on the Pole Line Road?

Have you been from San Isidro to Mulege on the Guajademi trail?

Have you been to San Juan de La Pilas?

Have you been on the No Wimp Trail from El Barril to San Ignacio?

Have you been on the loop trail from Laguna Chapala to Bahia Blanco to San Antonio to Hwy 1 at KM252 or KM 271?

Have you ever been on the smooth road from Coco to Mission Calamajue to El Crucero?

What about the trip into Mission Santa Maria?

If you have never been on these trails let me know and I'll be glad to take you. Me in my Tacoma and you in your big bad full size truck. I'm ready anytime, name the date.

If you make all these trails I'll present you with the Official Off Road trophy of Baja.

bajatrailrider - 9-3-2015 at 09:23 PM

Thanks Larry, appreciate it!

They all can't be winners sadly. I really don't have anything bad to say about Nissan, there just are not very many out there... same thing with Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Suzuki, and any other Asian brand pickups (are there any more?). The Tacoma has owned the smaller size truck market here for so long, it has to be due to the majority of them being winners. That is why hearing of a bad Toyota is so unusual. The people here on the Baja Internet were strongly pushing me to buy a Tacoma when I was in the market for a Baja truck, back in 2000. It took a Ford dealer lack of interest in my trade in to keep me from getting a Ranger then. I am glad of it, as my 2001 Tacoma was unreal in how reliable and capable it was!
David I have no brand loyalty.If my truck is junk I will report to all.In the small truck market,I will always say Toyota number one,Nissan number two.Most would think from 1 to 10(10 the best) Toyota number 10,Nissan number 9.Not so Nissan down to 7 then the rest.Im only talking small trucks.If Mexico would sell Toyota mini truck diesel,i would have jumped over the Nissan.This truck only 24,000 out the door,but the 5/6 grand in up grades cost.Its up to 33mpg thats not too bad.You where lucky you did not get the 2000 ranger 4x4,that was bad year 4x4 ranger.

Bob53 - 9-4-2015 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Where have you been in your truck?

Have you been over the summit, #1 will do.

Have you been on the Pole Line Road?

Have you been from San Isidro to Mulege on the Guajademi trail?

Have you been to San Juan de La Pilas?

Have you been on the No Wimp Trail from El Barril to San Ignacio?

Have you been on the loop trail from Laguna Chapala to Bahia Blanco to San Antonio to Hwy 1 at KM252 or KM 271?

Have you ever been on the smooth road from Coco to Mission Calamajue to El Crucero?

What about the trip into Mission Santa Maria?

If you have never been on these trails let me know and I'll be glad to take you. Me in my Tacoma and you in your big bad full size truck. I'm ready anytime, name the date.

If you make all these trails I'll present you with the Official Off Road trophy of Baja.

I want to do all of these. Never been.

David K - 9-4-2015 at 09:08 AM

Come on Bob, let's go! I have only been on three of the TW list!!

Bob53 - 9-4-2015 at 09:52 AM

Come on Bob, let's go! I have only been on three of the TW list!!

Stop by my shop in Esco or meet me for lunch and we can talk about it and plan something.

David K - 9-4-2015 at 10:10 AM

You there today? Send me a u2u reminder of where exactly.

Bob53 - 9-4-2015 at 10:30 AM

Check your u2u.

TMW - 9-4-2015 at 03:33 PM

More good trails to drive.

From La Paz to San Evaristo to San Luis Gonzaga Mission to CD Constitucion.

CD Constitucion to Timbabichi.

CD Insurgentes backward on the Baja 1000 course to San Javier to the Comondu's to San Isidro.

Mulege south to the San Raymundo trail to La Ballena.

From Valle La Trinidad to Mikes Sky Rancho to El Coyote to El Socorrito south to Santa Cruz to El Sauzalito.

Full size or smaller trucks/SUVs are good, 4WD recommended.

David K - 9-4-2015 at 04:56 PM

Some more great sounding routes from TW! Of that list, I have only been on the Mike's Sky Rancho road (between the Observatory Highway and Hwy. 3 near San Matias). So much Baja... so little time!

bajatrailrider - 9-4-2015 at 06:35 PM

The old way from observatory to Mikes is no more.As Pamala put gates both ends locked.New way,I have done on dirt bike.Going up maybe too much for pickup truck,jeeps would be better.Im game I know the way ready David and Chuck

David K - 9-4-2015 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
The old way from observatory to Mikes is no more.As Pamala put gates both ends locked.New way,I have done on dirt bike.Going up maybe too much for pickup truck,jeeps would be better.Im game I know the way ready David and Chuck

I was talking about the regular southern way to Mike's, maybe not the 'old way'... just the regular way from the Observatory Hwy. (near Meling) passing just east of El Coyote and up and over to Mike's.

It has been awhile, but look: http://vivabaja.com/905

bajatrailrider - 9-5-2015 at 10:12 AM

There are two ways from Coyote.One no go with 4x4 truck.Other way would be tuff,as Mellings.Have new ranch blocking old route,they made road around it.Real bad,if you guys want wheel over there.Im sure I can get keys to go in/out new ranch.Lets go David

TMW - 9-5-2015 at 10:25 AM

Here is a Google Earth image showing the roads in and out of Mikes Sky Rancho. In the lower right at ECJ is the road to Mike and Pamala's Darkskies Baja place. STO is the turn off to Simpsons Ranch.

The 2004 Baja 500 camp up from Simpsons and went west to CO2A and around to El Coyote from the north. Then east to CO2B continuing to ECJ then up to Mikes (MSR) and out to Hwy 3.

Just after CO2B was a rather tall hill full of silt and lots and lots of stuck cars and trucks. Many racers spent the night there not being able to get up due to broke and stuck vehicles.

The last couple of SCORE races have used a slightly different trail from CO2B to CO2A or in reverse. There is a wash that was wiped out between the two and I assume was never fixed. MCs no problem and I did it a couple of years ago in my Tacoma but there is a very steep hill to go down into the wash and a tight back and forth turn at the bottom when you go from CO2A to CO2B. I don't think it can be done from CO2B to CO2A. The hill is too steep and you have to make a sharp 90 degree turn at the top.

bajatrailrider - 9-7-2015 at 08:40 AM

You are correct TMW, New road that Coyote built.The up hill,no run at bottom,silt,steep.Would be real hard in 4x4.The upper road from Coyote to Mikes.As of two months ago (1 day rain storm)One place you can not go up or down.Till it gets fixed.The new road (1-2 years old) Thats gets you around Pamela and Mikes ranch.Is a great route,doable 4x4 but not easy.When do you guys want to try it? I cant remember ranch at start off Observatory road,They have big trees there,water pound fishing.Great camping, off road friendly.

ehall - 9-7-2015 at 06:36 PM

This thread turned from boring ( no offense intended DK) air bag install to a full blown off-road trip. I love it. Someone pick a date and a route.

David K - 9-7-2015 at 08:55 PM

Ed, any time a thread I begin keeps talking about Baja, is a GOOD thing! LOL!!!

:light::bounce::cool::coolup:

Mike (AstroBaja) and Pam's place (Baja Dark Skies Inn) is the former Rancho Concepción, which has a lot of history, back a couple of centuries!

bajatrailrider - 9-7-2015 at 10:21 PM

Yes David the Melings sold it to them.The new way starts at Y Rt to Pamala,Lt to new road and ranch.I cant remember the name of ranch.It was also owned by the Meilings then sold.As for you ED name the date!

TMW - 9-8-2015 at 08:27 AM

Here are two more GE images. They show the Baja 500 course in green for 2013 and 2014.

This image shows where the race course in green bypasses the bad section in white.

I mis-spoke in my post above the bad section was not between CO2B and CO2A but between El Coyote and CO2B.

[Edited on 9-8-2015 by TMW]

David K - 9-8-2015 at 08:52 AM

Here is the 2003 Baja Almanac of the area, with mileages along the route I took in and out of Mike's Sky Rancho:

Rancho Concepción (Baja Dark Skies Inn) is actually located along the right side, where the dashed road crosses the arroyo south of the location 'San Pedro (Ab)'. Not where you see the name, next to El Socorrito (that is where the signed road is at the Observatory highway).