Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Time to mod the suspension: Ride Rites and Bilstein 5100s
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 08:29 PM
Time to mod the suspension: Ride Rites and Bilstein 5100s

My 2010 Double Cab 4WD Toyota Tacoma has a little over 75,000 miles on it, and the rear suspension has recently felt rougher...

Given the miles, age, and countless Baja and Ocotillo Wells Desert runs, it seemed fair to think the rear springs were finally in need of some help!

A little history: My previous truck (2005 Tacoma DC 4WD) had really soft rear springs, and the truck would 'bottom-out' the suspension on any bumps if driven at speed. This was the first year for the second generation Tacoma, and they obviously went too soft with the three leaf rear springs. I solved the problem by installing Ride-Rite Air Springs (commonly called 'air bags') which would replace the bump stops, have adjustable ride (and height) based on the amount of air added (typically between 15-35 psi for me). I also had Bilstein 5100 rear shocks installed (one of the factory TRD Bilstein shocks had busted on our Baja trip in 2007). The 5100s are a big level up from the stock models and made for trucks with lifts, as well. The ride was wonderful, and no more bottoming, no matter what kind of load.

When I traded in the 2005 for the 2010 truck, I had the dealer remove the air bags, just in case I needed them on the new truck... which still had only a 3 leaf spring on the back wheels. Gleefully, the 2010 (Mexican built) Tacoma had better quality leaf springs and the truck did not bottom out, under the same conditions as the '05 had.

With the recent rough ride conditions, I had the Ride Rite air bags installed on my 2010 by a great local mechanic in Vista, CA (an off road motorcycle racer and former Toyota tech) named Jason... or 'Speed Freek' on the Tacoma World forums.

When Jason removed my back tires, we could see that one of the factory shocks was blown, the oil long gone, and was doing nothing to slow the bounce. The other has some damage to the plastic that looked like melting, but probably was caused by rubbing with the spring during some severe off road articulation of the rear axle.

NEW BILSTEINS on order, a Fathers's Day gift... not just the back two, but the fronts as well (which have a adjustable lift ring built on).

The air bags worked just like new, and with just 20 psi in them, the truck raised 3 inches in back! I dropped them to 14 psi, as without shocks on the back, the ride is too bouncy!!!

The air bags were installed last week and the rear Bilstein 5100s arrived at Stewart's Raceworks, yesterday and I picked them up today from my stepson Josh! They will be installed soon!

Some photos:

Blown back driver's side factory shock (probably why my ride was so rough recently).

Passenger side stock rear shock.

Jason working on the air bag install.

Air bag (driver's side) in place.

Passenger side air bag in place and bolted in (not all the hardware was preserved, we discovered, but Jason had the missing parts.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is from the Bilstein video describing the adjustable front 5100 shocks and what amount of lift they give. I have been told that it is actually a bit less than advertised (0.85" instead of 1" for example).

The fronts are still not in, but I got the back shocks today! Thanks to all my kids!

Stay tuned for the rear shock install and the front shocks... coming soon!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 08:48 PM

I am generally a tight wad, but tires and shocks are something that I replace long before they are worn out. My tires need to handle snow in the Sierras as well as beaches in Baja, so I replace them at about 50% tread. The ride improves too!

The tires are worth something to somebody else at that point, or in the case of my last set, they went on my utility trailer. That gives me two spares that will fit any position on the car or trailer.

Replacing the shocks before they start leaking or clanging not only gives me the best performance, it increases tire life.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 05:25 AM

the 5100's on my 4x4 F250 are the best. i replaced them at 55,000 miles and noticed a huge improvement. Unfortunately I got 6 of them on my rig $$$
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 07:55 AM

Agree on the tires thing and the shocks if they leak. I just hadn't crawled under my truck recently to see the oil leaking out of it. I hope the 5100s last longer than 55,000 miles. Being a lighter truck with rarely a heavy load in it, it should be fine for several years.

Tires: once they begin to get flats, then it's time for new ones. The BFG Rugged Trail TAs (known as "Rugged Fails" on Tacoma World) that come with the truck are good to only about 20,000 miles before failes begin... Others I have run are good to 25,000-45,000 miles and include brands such as Destiny Dakota AT, Cooper Discoverer STT, Cooper Discoverer ATR, Toyo Open Country AT, and Hankook Dynapro ATM.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 02:14 PM

I am running the 5100 on the race car and the Willys and they are great, even 4 hour races and they still perform. shockwarehouse.com had the best prices last year.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
I am running the 5100 on the race car and the Willys and they are great, even 4 hour races and they still perform. shockwarehouse.com had the best prices last year.

Thank's... good to hear! I had the 5100's on the back of my '05 truck, and they were perfect then.

The new back shocks are going on today, looking forward to it!

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 02:56 PM

I have the bilsteins on my rubicon. Pretty good ride considering the mods. I have made.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 03:08 PM

I have Ride Rites on my truck (2006 Ford F350) front and back. Got external valve stems installed on the front bumper initially then decided I needed a gauge inside (for psi display and ease in filling the bags). Good choices.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 03:22 PM

AJUSA.com has the best prices around since they are 10 miles from Billy's distribution center in Poway they send a truck to pick up their orders. they offer free shipping as well. Shockwarehouse leaves people hanging without telling them product is backordered, in my case for 2 weeks until I called and cancelled.

I don't know about the Tacos but if you set your front 5100's higher than the middle setting you should install a front differential drop kit to take some of the stress off your CV joints. at least that's how the Tundras are done.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 03:47 PM

Woody that is interesting on the diff. drop. I did it to my 04 Tacoma. However on Tacoma World there are several people who claim the 2 gen. Tacoma diff. drop does not actually drop the diff. I don't understand why and since I don't have access to a 2nd gen Tacoma I can't look for myself. Maybe someone on Nomad can shed some light on this.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 04:33 PM

With the Ride Rites in back now, I can raise my truck several inches... but more importantly, I can level it with a load in back... and never 'bottom-out' on bumps.

When I get the 5100s in front, I will set them up ONLY to the first lift (1" or .085", depending on who you believe). I am not getting taller tires, so no need to lift it 2 or 2.5 inches (the next two settings available).

The rear shocks were just installed by Jason this afternoon... I just got home... the ride is great!

The 5100s are nearly double the size of the stock yellow Bilsteins.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 06:25 PM

https://www.facebook.com/AJUSAauto?fref=nf

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 09:53 PM

I run the same set up on an '05 tundra double cab.. DK, I would consider the second lift on the front shocks... It made my truck perfectly level... Different truck I know, but give it some thought.. It's a lot of dough to change it..

Best set up I've ever run
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 10:31 PM

David, my new motorhome came with airbags in the rear. They seem to leak our all of their air within a week of travel, is this normal? JH
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 11:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
David, my new motorhome came with airbags in the rear. They seem to leak our all of their air within a week of travel, is this normal? JH

NO! Check the lines and connections. When I had them on my 2005 Tacoma, (installed in 2007 and until I traded it in December, 2009), I only had to add a tiny bit of air every several weeks, from what I recall... no more than once a month. I will be watching them closely, so I will let you know how they do again. Right now they are set at 13-14 psi.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 09:48 AM

That's a nice setup, David. I would remove the dust boots and wax the shocks to keep that brilliant shine. The dust boots merely damage the finish of the shock where they retain dust/dirt, etc.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 09:53 AM

Thanks Ken,
the zinc coated shocks are pretty, but totally out of sight when the tires are on, and my truck is for work and Baja, not a trade show... so I probably won't wax them. Why remove the dust boots? Isn't keeping dirt off the moving shaft a good thing?

You going to Baja this summer? We leave in 4 days!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 10:58 AM

When you removed your last set of shocks, did you notice all of the dust inside of the dust boot? They seem to trap dust better than guard against dust/dirt.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
When you removed your last set of shocks, did you notice all of the dust inside of the dust boot? They seem to trap dust better than guard against dust/dirt.

No dust boots on the blue/yellow Billies... see photos above.

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
AJUSA.com has the best prices around since they are 10 miles from Billy's distribution center in Poway they send a truck to pick up their orders. they offer free shipping as well. Shockwarehouse leaves people hanging without telling them product is backordered, in my case for 2 weeks until I called and cancelled.

I don't know about the Tacos but if you set your front 5100's higher than the middle setting you should install a front differential drop kit to take some of the stress off your CV joints. at least that's how the Tundras are done.

Good call on AJUSA. I just ordered 5100s from them for the Burb. $69.95 ea. w/free shipping.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.