BajaNomad

Be careful with ATM machines

Pescador - 7-24-2015 at 06:55 AM

Several posters have repeatedly stated that they would never open a bank account in Mexico even though they live here. I have always appreciated the services and security that offers. Now, in Puerta Vallarta, they have discovered a reader on an ATM and it is becoming common for readers to get your info and then make withdrawals. With a chip it is much more difficult but with the old magnetic stripe it is reportedly easier.
http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/man-arrested-in-pv-card-skim...

Udo - 7-24-2015 at 07:11 AM

Mil gracias, buddy!

Croft - 7-24-2015 at 08:09 AM

We have had credit cards scanned a total of five times over the years but always in the US, never in Mexico although we have spent more time in Mexico. Sad to hear it has spread to there.

ncampion - 7-24-2015 at 08:13 AM

All of my cards are "chip" cards. Actually I insist on them and won't use a bank that still issues mag cards only. I think that most banks in the US now offer chip cards, you just have to ask for them if you want one before your current card expires.

AKgringo - 7-24-2015 at 08:28 AM

My new cards have the chip , but they also have a magnetic strip so they can be used in all card readers. I don't think that the chip is any protection when using the old style readers.

SFandH - 7-24-2015 at 08:35 AM

I think I have this right.

Skimmers on ATM machines are composed of two parts, a device that reads the magnetic info on the card and a camera that records your pin as you enter it. With that info a fake card can be made that will work with your account if the system being used accepts "unchipped" cards.

I just received a new Bank of America debit card, it's chipped.

I haven't come across any chip enabled terminals yet.

[Edited on 7-24-2015 by SFandH]

BajaRat - 7-24-2015 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
All of my cards are "chip" cards. Actually I insist on them and won't use a bank that still issues mag cards only. I think that most banks in the US now offer chip cards, you just have to ask for them if you want one before your current card expires.

In your experience do most Mexican banks have chip reader ATM's ?
Thanks, Lionel

[Edited on 7-24-2015 by BajaRat]

ncampion - 7-24-2015 at 08:50 AM

Hard to tell about the ATMs as they still take the card in as opposed to the store readers where they plug it into the end of the reader instead of sliding it. I think every store reader in Baja that I've used has the chip reader type. I would hope that the ATMs also read the chip in addition to the mag strip, but don't know for sure.

SFandH - 7-24-2015 at 08:54 AM

How do chip cards work?

https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/accounts-cards/emv-chi...

chuckie - 7-24-2015 at 09:13 AM

Recent BIG problem with "Skimmers" here in Kansas, in the major cities. Out here where I live, we are still swappin chickens for Whiskey:P

ncampion - 7-24-2015 at 09:15 AM

As I understand it the "chip" is un-powered so it can't "transmit" any data unless it is inserted in a reader. It is actually powered by the reader and sends encrypted info back and forth to the reader. The encryption makes it very difficult (maybe impossible?) for a skimmer to get any meaningful data from the card. Coupled with the need for a PIN, this should stay one step ahead of the bad guys. The US cards still have the mag strip on them, since it will take a while for all the merchants to get the chip readers, but that will phase out in a year or so.

Santiago - 7-24-2015 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Recent BIG problem with "Skimmers" here in Kansas, in the major cities. Out here where I live, we are still swappin chickens for Whiskey:P

Chuck: only a true Kansan would be able to answer this: what does "Larapin" mean?

chuckie - 7-24-2015 at 12:39 PM

Kinda faster than a trot, but not a gallop.....or beating your cheesewiz

Bajahowodd - 7-24-2015 at 03:32 PM

Don't know if it is any safer, but the only ATMs I ever use in Mexico are in a bank.

SFandH - 7-25-2015 at 06:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Don't know if it is any safer, but the only ATMs I ever use in Mexico are in a bank.

That's a good precaution since the machines need to be tampered with to install skimmers. I've always been suspect of ATMs in convenience stores, I've seen them on the Mex mainland, I don't know if baja OXXOs have them. I wouldn't use them.

A few years ago in the Dominican Republic I saw an ATM that had what looked like speaker wires coming out of the wall and into the machine. Um, no , let's go to another machine.

Pescador - 7-25-2015 at 08:11 AM

I have a Mexican Card and it is a chip. The article from Puerta Vallarta was in a bank and the idiot who was caught, was putting in a new battery into the reader.

Bob and Susan - 7-25-2015 at 09:12 AM

it wasn't even a Mexican...Europeans this time

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/spike-in-atm-skimming-in-...

atmm.jpg - 57kB

oladulce - 7-26-2015 at 07:13 AM

Quote:

In your experience do most Mexican banks have chip reader ATM's ?

Banamex issued Chipped debit cards a few years ago and the Banamex ATMs I've been to from La Paz to Ensenada have all had chip readers.