BajaNomad

Moving back to US-What's the best way?

mmmexico - 8-11-2015 at 09:51 AM

Over the next couple of months we will be moving back to the United States. We have been living in La Paz for the past 11 years and it is now time for a new adventure. My plan is to buy a big truck in the US and make the move in two trips...we have a big house and a lot of stuff.

Some people have suggested that this plan is flawed in some way. Please...if you have any thoughts, advice or suggestions I would love to hear from you

Mike

chuckie - 8-11-2015 at 09:56 AM

I think that makes good sense, pretty much what I did..Get something you can sell when you don't need it anymore..I lightened my load by having a giant yard sale....Travel safe....

Wally - 8-11-2015 at 12:28 PM

I know that Arnian often has trucks going back to San Diego empty or with lot's of space. Might want to price them since 2 round trips isn't cheap with gas being what it is. Plus the wear and tear to the vehicle.

http://www.arnian.com/eng/

bajacalifornian - 8-11-2015 at 03:21 PM

"Moving back to the U.S. after 11 years in La Paz . . . for a new adventure"

Wow! Strikes my soul, these hard-hitting words.

An interesting read, at the very least.

Along with a subtle grin in my mind's eye, exists a high adventure reality show scene, with well armed and vigilant silhouettes, forging forward, through a freaky foreign frenetic jungle, occasionally sending posts to BajaNomad inquiring,"How's the crime"?

larryC - 8-11-2015 at 04:00 PM

What is your definition of a big truck? Maybe a truck and a cargo trailer would make more economic sense. Use the trailer however much you need it and then sell it to recoup some of your money.

gnukid - 8-11-2015 at 04:10 PM

There are shipping options ...

SFandH - 8-11-2015 at 04:46 PM

So you pull up to the American border guard in your truck and he asks what are you bringing back from Mexico and you say "a house full of stuff". Aren't you violating some sort of rules? Aren't there limits of some sort?

Honest questions, I don't know what can and can't be done.

bledito - 8-11-2015 at 05:42 PM

Are'nt you afraid of all the crime and murders there. :?: What about all that corruption and mordida/taxes.

chuckie - 8-11-2015 at 06:39 PM

Geeeez.....

CortezBlue - 8-11-2015 at 08:27 PM

Go North young man!

bajabuddha - 8-11-2015 at 09:50 PM

back to topic, new-guy.

Excuse the effluence, it's inevitable here, me included.

Having COMPLETELY pulled up roots and moved at least 4 major times in my life for various reasons, one simple question: what do you own, and what owns you?

Simple answer: Down-size. Wanna new place? Wanna new beginning? Go for it. It's kind of like watching ''Hoarders" (made it through one and a half episodes) but you have to admit, what really needs to come north with you? Why are you leaving there? Take a few things...... make a list....... and SELL, BABY SELL.

I'm close to my next one, too. Learned to travel light. Give away to those who would appreciate your passing, take with you what gives you love, and SELL THE REST.

Rent a truck for TWO trips? Ah you Nootz? In that case, stay put. I think you have to learn to RETIRE!!!! So you had a big house. Now, with the money you save NOT moving 'stuff' you can A) fill another big house with new 'stuff', or B) buy a smaller house and have more money to enjoy life and living more, or C) buy a really small house and go camping in La Paz !! :biggrin:

[Edited on 8-12-2015 by bajabuddha]

mtgoat666 - 8-11-2015 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mmmexico  
Over the next couple of months we will be moving back to the United States. We have been living in La Paz for the past 11 years and it is now time for a new adventure. My plan is to buy a big truck in the US and make the move in two trips...we have a big house and a lot of stuff.

Some people have suggested that this plan is flawed in some way. Please...if you have any thoughts, advice or suggestions I would love to hear from you

Mike

Are you really buying a big truck just for the move? Crikey! It costs less to hire movers!

SlyOnce - 8-12-2015 at 02:47 PM

My novia and I want to retire and move south. Sell us your house and everything in it. Bring the money back north.

vandenberg - 8-12-2015 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
My novia and I want to retire and move south. Sell us your house and everything in it. Bring the money back north.

Not so sure he owns that house.:biggrin:

tripledigitken - 8-12-2015 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

That's one thing that makes the move north easier.

BajaGringo - 8-12-2015 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  
Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

That's one thing that makes the move north easier.

Very wise words indeed. That is why I tell ALL the newcomers down here with stars in their eyes to rent at least for a year before you even think about looking for a place to build/buy. So many wonderful vacation spots look quite different when you spend some time living there. No place on this planet is perfect for everybody. Also no signs that this buyers market is going to change anytime soon so take your time to decide exactly where you really want to end up....

bajacalifornian - 8-12-2015 at 07:18 PM

But, this is

After 11 years . . .

In La Paz.

yellowklr - 8-12-2015 at 09:51 PM

WHY on earth move back to the USA……….???????
Avoid it at all costs
REALLY

rhintransit - 8-14-2015 at 06:43 AM

Pack whatever is precious to you and fits into your current vehicle. Sell and/or give away the rest. Close the door and that chapter of your lives, put the key in the ignition and go. Life north of border will start that much sooner, and easier.
Stuff is stuff. Use the money you save in not buying a truck and all that two round trips you are thinking of to buy more in the USA.
Not going thru the time and aggravation of hauling stuff...priceless.

chuckie - 8-14-2015 at 07:35 AM

I have heard that Transylvania is nice this time of year, and they will subsidize move expenses......

Alm - 8-14-2015 at 11:51 AM

From my experience - things that you own and need now (or think that you need), become mostly useless when you change the habitat THAT much.

Leaving things of "sentimental value" aside, there is no way to predict what is worth taking. What's worse is that even those of "sentimental value" often become meaningless or annoying after you've moved. You want your life magically copy-pasted to a new and different place - sorry, doesn't happen.

mmmexico - 8-14-2015 at 12:07 PM

Let me try to respond and give an update. Yes...we have a significant amount of stuff. My wife is an artist and has a lot of art equipment/supplies as well as musical instruments, audio equipment and a couple of computers. I have a 600 sq.ft.garage which houses five motorcycles (which I have restored down here) and quite a lot of tools, racks to store supplies, and a hydraulic lift so I can work on my bikes without crawling on my belly like a reptile. Yes...we seem to require more than a blender to mix margaritas in order to stay active and engaged in our respective lives.

I am not looking forward to traveling the baja peninsula multiple times in a box van in order to move all of our stuff...seems problematical to be driving many thousands of miles in a loaded older truck across a very hot desert....I may very well elect not to do that primarily due to mechanical uncertainty, I am also concerned about our passage through the border...There are forms that permit a citizen returning to the United States with personally owned "household items" to pass through duty and hassle free...but who knows...may be this passage is best left to professionals.

ACV does offer a moving service and it appears that they will move all of my stuff to San Diego for abt $11,000...this is their cost for a 52ft.truck...I probably do not need anything that large...we will see.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. My options are growning and my thoughts are evolving...thanks again..

Mike

larryC - 8-15-2015 at 08:41 AM

With a 600 sf garage and a house full of stuff I would be surprised if you could get all that stuff into one 52' truck. You can see your stuff and I can't so I am sure you know best. I have no experience with what you are trying to do so all I can do is wish you luck.
Larry