BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Moving back to US-What's the best way?
mmmexico

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 09:51 AM
Moving back to US-What's the best way?

Over the next couple of months we will be moving back to the United States. We have been living in La Paz for the past 11 years and it is now time for a new adventure. My plan is to buy a big truck in the US and make the move in two trips...we have a big house and a lot of stuff.

Some people have suggested that this plan is flawed in some way. Please...if you have any thoughts, advice or suggestions I would love to hear from you

Mike
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 09:56 AM

I think that makes good sense, pretty much what I did..Get something you can sell when you don't need it anymore..I lightened my load by having a giant yard sale....Travel safe....

Wally
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 12:28 PM

I know that Arnian often has trucks going back to San Diego empty or with lot's of space. Might want to price them since 2 round trips isn't cheap with gas being what it is. Plus the wear and tear to the vehicle.

http://www.arnian.com/eng/

bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 03:21 PM

"Moving back to the U.S. after 11 years in La Paz . . . for a new adventure"

Wow! Strikes my soul, these hard-hitting words.

An interesting read, at the very least.

Along with a subtle grin in my mind's eye, exists a high adventure reality show scene, with well armed and vigilant silhouettes, forging forward, through a freaky foreign frenetic jungle, occasionally sending posts to BajaNomad inquiring,"How's the crime"?

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 04:00 PM

What is your definition of a big truck? Maybe a truck and a cargo trailer would make more economic sense. Use the trailer however much you need it and then sell it to recoup some of your money.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 04:10 PM

There are shipping options ...
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 04:46 PM

So you pull up to the American border guard in your truck and he asks what are you bringing back from Mexico and you say "a house full of stuff". Aren't you violating some sort of rules? Aren't there limits of some sort?

Honest questions, I don't know what can and can't be done.
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 05:42 PM

Are'nt you afraid of all the crime and murders there. :?: What about all that corruption and mordida/taxes.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 06:39 PM

Geeeez.....

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 08:27 PM

Go North young man!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 09:50 PM

back to topic, new-guy.

Excuse the effluence, it's inevitable here, me included.

Having COMPLETELY pulled up roots and moved at least 4 major times in my life for various reasons, one simple question: what do you own, and what owns you?

Simple answer: Down-size. Wanna new place? Wanna new beginning? Go for it. It's kind of like watching ''Hoarders" (made it through one and a half episodes) but you have to admit, what really needs to come north with you? Why are you leaving there? Take a few things...... make a list....... and SELL, BABY SELL.

I'm close to my next one, too. Learned to travel light. Give away to those who would appreciate your passing, take with you what gives you love, and SELL THE REST.

Rent a truck for TWO trips? Ah you Nootz? In that case, stay put. I think you have to learn to RETIRE!!!! So you had a big house. Now, with the money you save NOT moving 'stuff' you can A) fill another big house with new 'stuff', or B) buy a smaller house and have more money to enjoy life and living more, or C) buy a really small house and go camping in La Paz !! :biggrin:

[Edited on 8-12-2015 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mmmexico  
Over the next couple of months we will be moving back to the United States. We have been living in La Paz for the past 11 years and it is now time for a new adventure. My plan is to buy a big truck in the US and make the move in two trips...we have a big house and a lot of stuff.

Some people have suggested that this plan is flawed in some way. Please...if you have any thoughts, advice or suggestions I would love to hear from you

Mike

Are you really buying a big truck just for the move? Crikey! It costs less to hire movers!
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 02:47 PM

My novia and I want to retire and move south. Sell us your house and everything in it. Bring the money back north.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
My novia and I want to retire and move south. Sell us your house and everything in it. Bring the money back north.

Not so sure he owns that house.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

That's one thing that makes the move north easier.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  
Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

That's one thing that makes the move north easier.

Very wise words indeed. That is why I tell ALL the newcomers down here with stars in their eyes to rent at least for a year before you even think about looking for a place to build/buy. So many wonderful vacation spots look quite different when you spend some time living there. No place on this planet is perfect for everybody. Also no signs that this buyers market is going to change anytime soon so take your time to decide exactly where you really want to end up....

bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 07:18 PM

But, this is

After 11 years . . .

In La Paz.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 09:51 PM

WHY on earth move back to the USA……….???????
Avoid it at all costs
REALLY

Derek
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2015 at 06:43 AM

Pack whatever is precious to you and fits into your current vehicle. Sell and/or give away the rest. Close the door and that chapter of your lives, put the key in the ignition and go. Life north of border will start that much sooner, and easier.
Stuff is stuff. Use the money you save in not buying a truck and all that two round trips you are thinking of to buy more in the USA.
Not going thru the time and aggravation of hauling stuff...priceless.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2015 at 07:35 AM

I have heard that Transylvania is nice this time of year, and they will subsidize move expenses......

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.