BajaNomad

auto painting

1Bajalover - 9-12-2015 at 03:13 PM

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with having their car/truck painted in Baja? my truck really needs to be painted but the price up here is very high and it is an older truck so a hard decision to make but since I may be coming down that way in November- I thought to see if there might be a better option there - looking for a very decent job but not as much money -

any suggestions appreciated

Baja Norte would be preferable for places though more south could also work

Thanks!

carlosg - 9-12-2015 at 03:22 PM

..sent you a U2U... check your mail box...:biggrin:

Paint Job

J.P. - 9-12-2015 at 04:17 PM

For the difference in price they do a outstanding job, I have seen very few Paint booths down here they mostly paint under a plastic tarp and yes there will be a few imperfections.
I had both my Jeep and Suburban Painted here and an very well satisfied.

SFandH - 9-12-2015 at 05:38 PM

The rule I've heard of forever (living near Tijuana) is get the bodywork done in Mex (cheap hourly labor and good work) and the paint in the states. Maybe things have changed. Perhaps buy some quality paint in the states and take it to Mex.

bajatrailrider - 9-12-2015 at 05:46 PM

In San Vicente (1 hour south Ensanada) They do great work dirt cheap.Only thing they are very slow,plan to leave truck.two weeks or more.They dont use spray booth,dont need one.As most shops in Baja color sand and buff every paint job.I would buy good paint In TJ or Ensanada,as cheap paint.Does not last long.

Bob and Susan - 9-12-2015 at 06:30 PM

I've painted a few cars...

I don't understand..."cheap paint does not last long"

prep work and sealer is what makes a good paint job...
not the price of the paint

UnoMas - 9-12-2015 at 07:27 PM

Bob,
The quality of the paint makes a huge difference in the durability of the coating. Your better paints will cost more than the cheaper coatings and last longer. Been in the coating business for 41 years and like everything else you get what you pay for!

paint and all things BOB

captkw - 9-12-2015 at 08:11 PM

unomas,, please,,don't try and talk sense with cheap skate BOB !! you will never be right,,correct,,true,,exact,,affirm,,10-4 or anything but WRONG !! and this comes from a guy that puts up a light house (el farro) Where ? with what lights?.....Oh My !!:lol:

Bob and Susan - 9-13-2015 at 06:30 AM

well...there's all the proof I need not to get a "cheap" auto paint...

a guy named "unomas" that says he's in the "coating business"
(my first thought was 101 dalmations)

and a "boat electrician" that can't figure out how to post his business card...yea you want him work'n on your electric problems

you know...i was at "gas-monkey" in dallas a few weeks ago and took a picture with my cell phone and posted it right to the internet...amazing things these "new" phones

now back to the question...

never have someone "color sand" a new paint job...it "breaks" the seal and then it oxidizes...

a good paint job is always "preparation preparation prepanation"

to make a paint "flow" there are different thinners/reducers

now...some cars like mine here you SHOULD NOT paint...
they are better looking like a survivor

a paint job seldom raises the value of the car...it just puts money in someones pocket and out of yours

my advice...buy a NEW car...new is ALWAYS better

MyTruck.jpg - 68kB

Ken Cooke - 9-13-2015 at 07:29 AM

Pepe Palomo's 'General' pickup was painted in Tijuana. He usually pays $300 for his work. Pepe's on Facebook.

mtgoat666 - 9-13-2015 at 07:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
well...there's all the proof I need not to get a "cheap" auto paint...

a guy named "unomas" that says he's in the "coating business"
(my first thought was 101 dalmations)

and a "boat electrician" that can't figure out how to post his business card...yea you want him work'n on your electric problems

The capt may be an illiterate drunk that is too old to know how to use a computer, but sometimes he is right. Your unfamiliarity with the term "coating" in regards to paint tells me you are an ignoramus that spouts off on what he does not know. But don't we all? :lol:

Ken Cooke - 9-13-2015 at 07:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The capt may be an illiterate drunk that is too old to know how to use a computer, but sometimes he is right.:lol:

Having a bad weekend?

weebray - 9-13-2015 at 07:41 AM

There are any number of levels of quality when it comes to putting a new coat on your vehicle. Top quality paints are available all over Mexico. Go look at the work the shop is turning out. The difference in price between the US and Mexico is similar to the difference in price of dental work. An old work truck does not need a mink coat. At some point you're just polishing a turd.

J.P. - 9-13-2015 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
There are any number of levels of quality when it comes to putting a new coat on your vehicle. Top quality paints are available all over Mexico. Go look at the work the shop is turning out. The difference in price between the US and Mexico is similar to the difference in price of dental work. An old work truck does not need a mink coat. At some point you're just polishing a turd.

It' my Turd and ill polish it if I want too. ( has a nice ring to it doesn't it.) I live right on the water and when I paint mine its more for preservation although a old spruced up turd looks pretty nice at least that's what my wife says about me.

[Edited on 9-13-2015 by J.P.]

Terry28 - 9-13-2015 at 10:16 AM

Back to the question asked...I will let you know next month. We are having our 1998 bmw convertible painted at a shop just south of Rosarito in Popotla...they have a booth...I check out some of their work and like it.
They will have our ride for a week...mas o menos...they use Dupont paint.

gnukid - 9-13-2015 at 10:16 AM

I get my cars painted about every 5 years in baja. I've tried a few shops. Like most any dealings, you need to see examples of work and have a clear agreement with the body and paint shop regarding how much time will they spend, when the work will be completed, what type of work and materials and how many coats of paint and clear coat. Inspect the car together for rust and damage with the team and mark the areas on the car that need work with permanent pen. Discuss the method of repair, do they work with metal to repair or just bondo? Do you need replacement parts from a junk yard? Perhaps take photos of the areas. Visit the shop when they say they will be prepping and check and be sure they have space to work and keep all the parts they remove-consider taking spare parts with you and return when they are ready to install. Ask about fixing headliner, upholstery. replacing moldings and insulation and go buy the materials together with the car paint guy to be sure they have the material they need, instead of giving him the money and hoping he will buy the material (after he goes christmas shopping. You may want to paint the undercarriage and some internal areas that have wear such as tailgate space.

Do not pay in advance.

Be certain that you are working with a clear agreement of the quality level you want. The range is huge. Also the paint needs to cure, it is important to not touch it for quite some time. Typically it costs about $700-1000 US for a full paint and body work more or less. If you want high quality, customization and multiple clear coats the cost will go up and up.

Probably a good idea to get recommendations and ask for estimates, many shops don't want to write anything down, if you want a written estimate and work order it'll cost more.

Bob

captkw - 9-13-2015 at 03:15 PM

I don't see posting my biz card as a benefit to me as I'm already swamped with work..and I also know that 1/3 of my work is clean-up after other "shops" so a biz cards carrys no weight with me..But I maintain and service a 28 Boston " conquest" that is a U.S.C.G. Auxiliary Patrol Vessel that the Commander of this vessel won the top commander of the year in the USA (2015)..Flotilla 06-07 and that sir,,says Volumes about me..I have always helped fellow Nomads that have U2U me and give me their # and I have also provided my biz line # to a select few...SO climp to the top of that light house a take a long jump for me !!:lol:

tooting

captkw - 9-13-2015 at 03:26 PM

I'm not,,but after 2/3 years of BOB giving me crap about a biz card,, I thought I would try and help him understand the facts!!

1Bajalover - 9-13-2015 at 09:52 PM

thanks for all the replies and (extra banter) - it looks to be an iffy thing to do down there unless one has time a plenty to hang out in a town and wait (and perhaps hope also - that all goes well)

where I live it is a few thousand just to do the cab of the truck - seems very high - especially for an older truck

shari - 9-14-2015 at 08:00 AM

because we live at the edge of a wild ocean, we paint the underneath of our vehicles every couple of years. We have a very good body shop here in Bahia Asuncion...inside a garage where they paint our vehicles too...underneath is 1,200 and some of our guests have it done while they are visiting here as you take it in and have it back the next day.

I just got them to paint my pick up for 4,000 pesos...prepped it nice and did a great job on it!

rts551 - 9-14-2015 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
I don't see posting my biz card as a benefit to me as I'm already swamped with work..

So why toot your own horn so loud here. :?:

Hell of a way to attract "biz"ness isn't it.

bajatrailrider - 9-14-2015 at 02:10 PM

I've painted a few cars...

I don't understand..."cheap paint does not last long"

prep work and sealer is what makes a good paint job...
not the price of the paint
Ok it was my work for only 45 years,prep work,sealer cheap paint does not last.Prep work,sealer good quality paint long lasting.Urethane paint,with hardner Name brand like PPG or others last.Non name brand Urethane left out in sun,can go bad in few years. Hope this helps you.

Bob and Susan - 9-14-2015 at 02:37 PM

maybe 45 years ago there was "bad" paint...but not today
todays car paints are great

I recently talked to some people from bmw...they use a water type paint...no bad paint jobs on those cars

there ARE different kinds of paints

but if your paint goes bad in a few years...the painter failed NOT the paint

and paint is expensive...last paint I bought for a car ran me over $400 for paint primer hardner sealer and reducers
and that was just for the paint not the time to prepare

most people think the body damage is included in the paint job...its not and there is ALWAYS body work to do

bajatrailrider - 9-14-2015 at 08:05 PM

I recently talked to some people from bmw...they use a water type paint...no bad paint jobs on those cars

and paint is expensive...last paint I bought for a car ran me over $400 for paint primer hardner sealer and reducers
and that was just for the paint not the time to prepare

most people think the body damage is included in the paint job...its not and there is ALWAYS body work to do

Ok misunderstanding,I have done the work for over 45years,and shop onwer.Please listen,When you bring your car to Mexico to paint,There is cheap paint,thats what they will use.Yes the paint will fail.They sell paint that is for fleet painting.Means cheap paint,the onwer of fleet cars trucks does not care.As they will sell in few years,before paint goes bad.Im trying to help you.If you only care about paint lasting,few years then.Just tell them paint it,if you want it to last.Buy it in Mexico,give to the shop to use.Not my first rodeo.

Tioloco - 9-14-2015 at 08:18 PM

Navarro's body shop in Algodones does good work.

UnoMas - 9-14-2015 at 09:07 PM

Bob,
The water base paints you are talking about are known as water born coatings. You see all the cars that have paint coming off in large patches? That is because the top coat is not compatible with the prime coat (factory) paint.

:P So even those who paint hundreds of thousands cars don't always get it right in the name of environmental coatings. Stick with what you know in your profession. Paint is not one of them! Hope I didn't use words you are not familiar with.:P

cheap BOB

captkw - 9-15-2015 at 04:02 AM

[Edited on 9-15-2015 by captkw]

mtgoat666 - 9-15-2015 at 06:12 AM

You should have bought the cheapest paint. Like you said, the cheap paints are just as good as the expensive paints, eh?

bajatrailrider - 9-15-2015 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by UnoMas  
Bob,
The water base paints you are talking about are known as water born coatings. You see all the cars that have paint coming off in large patches? That is because the top coat is not compatible with the prime coat (factory) paint.

:P So even those who paint hundreds of thousands cars don't always get it right in the name of environmental coatings. Stick with what you know in your profession. Paint is not one of them! Hope I didn't use words you are not familiar with.:P
This is very true about water base coatings.In Calif they have rules about what paint you can and cannot use.Also what do people that paint BMWs have in common.With Mexicans in Baja painting cars.Nothing.

rts551 - 9-15-2015 at 08:15 AM

I do not know where some people get their info. One of the painters in Santa Rosalia uses PPG/OMNI. So does the one in Vizcaino.

bajatrailrider - 9-15-2015 at 02:34 PM

PPG Hi quality. Omni mid level paint.

rts551 - 9-15-2015 at 02:37 PM

PPG makes OMNI.

Shari Bahia Asuncion

1Bajalover - 9-15-2015 at 05:56 PM

this sounds like a great place - can you tell me the name and location? I have not been to Asuncion but have heard some good things about it so it could be worth a visit there for several reasons - was the 1200 in pesos or american ?

thanks for this lead!

mtgoat666 - 9-15-2015 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
PPG makes OMNI.

Ppg makes many paints, under many brands. Like all paint mfgs, in each product line they make paints for cheap customers and more demanding customers.

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2015 at 06:00 AM

example...

windex sold at costco under the costco name COULD be windex

if it comes out of the "windex machine" at the windex factory
but is labeled costco window cleaner...isn't it still windex

doesn't paint come out of a big paint machine?

vandenberg - 9-16-2015 at 08:34 AM

example...

windex sold at costco under the costco name COULD be windex

if it comes out of the "windex machine" at the windex factory
but is labeled costco window cleaner...isn't it still windex

doesn't paint come out of a big paint machine?
Poor example.
There's a little more to making paint than making Windex.

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2015 at 09:00 AM

really?
I think windex is a wonder product

bajatrailrider - 9-16-2015 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
PPG makes OMNI.
You just answered the Question for all of us.Yes on PPG makes OMNI line.Witch is there cheap brand.You want to use Urethane/with hardner.Also Most all Cars/trucks are clear coated from factory.Clear coats are great,But after the painter.Sprays the base coat (color coat),and does not get first coat of Clear on.In 15min time frame,it will peal off.Single stage Urethane good choice for older truck.If you have carport/or garage and park you truck.When not in use,5/10 times life of aftermarket paint job.Also most Baja painters use Lacquer based primer,and lacquer based spot putty.If your truck needs primer,buy him Polyester/harded primer.All good supplies are available in in Mexico,Paint jobbers.

Bajavanadu - 10-1-2016 at 06:26 PM

Any recommendations for a cheap paint job in rosarito or ensenada? Just a blow and go?

pacsur - 10-2-2016 at 05:15 AM

I am one of those in agreement that a higher quality paint with a hardner will look good and last the longest if applied properly, also if properly maintained.
Of course preparation is key to any coating lasting, so that no issues start under the coating, but the paint coating is what seals the body from the elements, added clear coats are just clear paint without pigment..
Most high end shops in the states color sand everything, then apply multiple clear coats over the color coat, and sand and polish again to complete.
I had my 4 door Toyota Tacoma painted after Odile, minor body work from storm, my guy used imron and the cost was about $400 usd.
Also, after owning a metal finishing shop in Los Cabos for some time I have seen many types of coatings and how they wear and last with the local climate here, we must sandblast everything to bare metal before applying a dry powder coating, then we heat the pieces to basically melt the coating and bond to the metal.
Epoxy liquid paints are the most difficult to remove while sandblasting, and I believe offer the best liquid coating protection from the elements.
From my experience the lifespan of most quality finishes can be extended down here by doing 2 things, waxing when possible, and just washing off your vehicles, railings, or patio furniture that is outside and exposed to salt and uv with fresh water a couple of times a week.

durrelllrobert - 10-2-2016 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 1Bajalover  
I am wondering if anyone has had experience with having their car/truck painted in Baja? my truck really needs to be painted but the price up here is very high and it is an older truck so a hard decision to make but since I may be coming down that way in November- I thought to see if there might be a better option there - looking for a very decent job but not as much money -

any suggestions appreciated

Baja Norte would be preferable for places though more south could also work

Thanks!
Did you see this?

Does that car or truck you are now driving really need a new paint job but you think you can't afford it? Think again, if you also have another car that you seldom use LET'S MAKE A DEAL! I will professionally apply a new paint job (labor and material) to the one you drive and take the one you don't drive in trade. If it is in good driving condition with current registration this could be an even trade. Necessary minor body work may also be included depending on the make and model year. An economical Japanese car is preferred but all trade-ins will be considered Call Aaron Curiel's cell at 656-189-58-02 Located in Punta Banda

durrelllrobert - 10-2-2016 at 11:07 AM

really?
I think windex is a wonder product

You must be thinking of WD-40 which is the same in Mexico as it is in the US, except for packaging. That's because it's only manufactured at the Plant in San Diego where it was developed in the1950's to prevent ice build up on the Atlas missile after launch. IT IS NOT, and NEVER HAS BEEN A LUBRICANT even though a lot of Mexican mechanics use it that way.