Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: auto painting
1Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: UP

[*] posted on 9-12-2015 at 03:13 PM
auto painting

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with having their car/truck painted in Baja? my truck really needs to be painted but the price up here is very high and it is an older truck so a hard decision to make but since I may be coming down that way in November- I thought to see if there might be a better option there - looking for a very decent job but not as much money -

any suggestions appreciated

Baja Norte would be preferable for places though more south could also work

Thanks!
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 9-12-2015 at 03:22 PM

..sent you a U2U... check your mail box...:biggrin:

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-12-2015 at 04:17 PM
Paint Job

For the difference in price they do a outstanding job, I have seen very few Paint booths down here they mostly paint under a plastic tarp and yes there will be a few imperfections.
I had both my Jeep and Suburban Painted here and an very well satisfied.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2015 at 05:38 PM

The rule I've heard of forever (living near Tijuana) is get the bodywork done in Mex (cheap hourly labor and good work) and the paint in the states. Maybe things have changed. Perhaps buy some quality paint in the states and take it to Mex.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-12-2015 at 05:46 PM

In San Vicente (1 hour south Ensanada) They do great work dirt cheap.Only thing they are very slow,plan to leave truck.two weeks or more.They dont use spray booth,dont need one.As most shops in Baja color sand and buff every paint job.I would buy good paint In TJ or Ensanada,as cheap paint.Does not last long.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-12-2015 at 06:30 PM

I've painted a few cars...

I don't understand..."cheap paint does not last long"

prep work and sealer is what makes a good paint job...
not the price of the paint

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 9-12-2015 at 07:27 PM

Bob,
The quality of the paint makes a huge difference in the durability of the coating. Your better paints will cost more than the cheaper coatings and last longer. Been in the coating business for 41 years and like everything else you get what you pay for!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-12-2015 at 08:11 PM
paint and all things BOB

unomas,, please,,don't try and talk sense with cheap skate BOB !! you will never be right,,correct,,true,,exact,,affirm,,10-4 or anything but WRONG !! and this comes from a guy that puts up a light house (el farro) Where ? with what lights?.....Oh My !!:lol:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 06:30 AM

well...there's all the proof I need not to get a "cheap" auto paint...

a guy named "unomas" that says he's in the "coating business"
(my first thought was 101 dalmations)

and a "boat electrician" that can't figure out how to post his business card...yea you want him work'n on your electric problems

you know...i was at "gas-monkey" in dallas a few weeks ago and took a picture with my cell phone and posted it right to the internet...amazing things these "new" phones

now back to the question...

never have someone "color sand" a new paint job...it "breaks" the seal and then it oxidizes...

a good paint job is always "preparation preparation prepanation"

to make a paint "flow" there are different thinners/reducers

now...some cars like mine here you SHOULD NOT paint...
they are better looking like a survivor

a paint job seldom raises the value of the car...it just puts money in someones pocket and out of yours

my advice...buy a NEW car...new is ALWAYS better

MyTruck.jpg - 68kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 07:29 AM

Pepe Palomo's 'General' pickup was painted in Tijuana. He usually pays $300 for his work. Pepe's on Facebook.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 07:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
well...there's all the proof I need not to get a "cheap" auto paint...

a guy named "unomas" that says he's in the "coating business"
(my first thought was 101 dalmations)

and a "boat electrician" that can't figure out how to post his business card...yea you want him work'n on your electric problems

The capt may be an illiterate drunk that is too old to know how to use a computer, but sometimes he is right. Your unfamiliarity with the term "coating" in regards to paint tells me you are an ignoramus that spouts off on what he does not know. But don't we all? :lol:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 07:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The capt may be an illiterate drunk that is too old to know how to use a computer, but sometimes he is right.:lol:

Having a bad weekend?

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 07:41 AM

There are any number of levels of quality when it comes to putting a new coat on your vehicle. Top quality paints are available all over Mexico. Go look at the work the shop is turning out. The difference in price between the US and Mexico is similar to the difference in price of dental work. An old work truck does not need a mink coat. At some point you're just polishing a turd.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
There are any number of levels of quality when it comes to putting a new coat on your vehicle. Top quality paints are available all over Mexico. Go look at the work the shop is turning out. The difference in price between the US and Mexico is similar to the difference in price of dental work. An old work truck does not need a mink coat. At some point you're just polishing a turd.

It' my Turd and ill polish it if I want too. ( has a nice ring to it doesn't it.) I live right on the water and when I paint mine its more for preservation although a old spruced up turd looks pretty nice at least that's what my wife says about me.

[Edited on 9-13-2015 by J.P.]
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 10:16 AM

Back to the question asked...I will let you know next month. We are having our 1998 bmw convertible painted at a shop just south of Rosarito in Popotla...they have a booth...I check out some of their work and like it.
They will have our ride for a week...mas o menos...they use Dupont paint.

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 10:16 AM

I get my cars painted about every 5 years in baja. I've tried a few shops. Like most any dealings, you need to see examples of work and have a clear agreement with the body and paint shop regarding how much time will they spend, when the work will be completed, what type of work and materials and how many coats of paint and clear coat. Inspect the car together for rust and damage with the team and mark the areas on the car that need work with permanent pen. Discuss the method of repair, do they work with metal to repair or just bondo? Do you need replacement parts from a junk yard? Perhaps take photos of the areas. Visit the shop when they say they will be prepping and check and be sure they have space to work and keep all the parts they remove-consider taking spare parts with you and return when they are ready to install. Ask about fixing headliner, upholstery. replacing moldings and insulation and go buy the materials together with the car paint guy to be sure they have the material they need, instead of giving him the money and hoping he will buy the material (after he goes christmas shopping. You may want to paint the undercarriage and some internal areas that have wear such as tailgate space.

Do not pay in advance.

Be certain that you are working with a clear agreement of the quality level you want. The range is huge. Also the paint needs to cure, it is important to not touch it for quite some time. Typically it costs about $700-1000 US for a full paint and body work more or less. If you want high quality, customization and multiple clear coats the cost will go up and up.

Probably a good idea to get recommendations and ask for estimates, many shops don't want to write anything down, if you want a written estimate and work order it'll cost more.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 03:15 PM
Bob

I don't see posting my biz card as a benefit to me as I'm already swamped with work..and I also know that 1/3 of my work is clean-up after other "shops" so a biz cards carrys no weight with me..But I maintain and service a 28 Boston " conquest" that is a U.S.C.G. Auxiliary Patrol Vessel that the Commander of this vessel won the top commander of the year in the USA (2015)..Flotilla 06-07 and that sir,,says Volumes about me..I have always helped fellow Nomads that have U2U me and give me their # and I have also provided my biz line # to a select few...SO climp to the top of that light house a take a long jump for me !!:lol:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 03:26 PM
tooting

I'm not,,but after 2/3 years of BOB giving me crap about a biz card,, I thought I would try and help him understand the facts!!
1Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: UP

[*] posted on 9-13-2015 at 09:52 PM

thanks for all the replies and (extra banter) - it looks to be an iffy thing to do down there unless one has time a plenty to hang out in a town and wait (and perhaps hope also - that all goes well)

where I live it is a few thousand just to do the cab of the truck - seems very high - especially for an older truck

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 08:00 AM

because we live at the edge of a wild ocean, we paint the underneath of our vehicles every couple of years. We have a very good body shop here in Bahia Asuncion...inside a garage where they paint our vehicles too...underneath is 1,200 and some of our guests have it done while they are visiting here as you take it in and have it back the next day.

I just got them to paint my pick up for 4,000 pesos...prepped it nice and did a great job on it!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.