BajaNomad

gas in Mulege

roundtuit - 11-3-2015 at 09:00 PM

How come I bought 19 Liters of gas from each station in Mulege and ended up with appro 34.07 liters after transfer to US
:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

Tioloco - 11-3-2015 at 09:03 PM

Call it a transfer fee and forget about it!

roundtuit - 11-3-2015 at 09:06 PM

No problem been doing it for 20 yrs

roundtuit - 11-3-2015 at 09:08 PM

I'm old and new math makes no sense

Tioloco - 11-3-2015 at 09:13 PM

Just out of curiosity, how did you calibrate the measurement when you poured it out?

alacran - 11-3-2015 at 09:56 PM

Several years ago I was short changed in the gas station south of Mulege,
after complaining ( i SPEAK FLUENT SPANISH) I was given the right amount of gas, but also told not to come back to the station.
Both stations in and out of town are owned by the same person.

Tioloco - 11-3-2015 at 10:14 PM

If you live in a small town, it is not good to be banned from the gas stations. That would be no bueno.

bajabuddha - 11-3-2015 at 10:51 PM

Bienvenidos a Baja. Change is the constant, and some things never change.

The only way things will change in the Mulegé area is if the Mulegeños send a message to the Jéfe of the stations.... LEGALLY, but effectively make an effort to document times, dates and places (both stations) of discrepancies, and go upstairs politically to get the situation finally resolved. Hopefully someone needs to step forward and figurehead a solution to a long-standing disservice. There are a lot of full-timers there who know 'people in the know' of the Way Of Things there... it would be nice to see that area rejuvenate and bring back the glory of small-town true Méxicano comfort. No wonder the fruit is dying on the vine.... it's truly my favorite place on earth, and I'd love to see it prosper again. Now those who have investments and income there come forth and tell me how well you... and the town... and the real estate... are doing. Ain't just the storms washing things away.

chuckie - 11-4-2015 at 04:39 AM

Mark your cans in "Mulege liters" and fuggedaboud it....That's the way it is..

micah202 - 11-4-2015 at 04:17 PM

.....I don't really mind too much if it's basically a gringo tax.

....or do locals get hit too?

Bajahowodd - 11-4-2015 at 04:53 PM

I think that you can contact Pemex and complain. Problem is that if Pemex cuts off supply, and this dealer is the only resource in the area, then folks walk, unless they have enough in the tank to make it to Santa Rosalia.

chuckie - 11-4-2015 at 04:53 PM

They don't have a pump labeled for Mexicans only...

bajabuddha - 11-4-2015 at 05:01 PM

My Pappy raised me to abhor liars and thieves, and this is thievery, with a little oligarchy thrown in for good(?) measure. The area had a thievery problem, an individual nicknamed 'Koki'... when in the hoosegow the town was quiet and serene. When out and on the loose, he'd hit the beaches, the town gringos, and the locals with impunity, and brag about the fact it was the way he made his living; stealing, and proud of it. Robbed a friend of mine and got off scot-free. He finally got a serious charge, got locked up..... and there was enough of a public uproar and communal movement (because of the fact the whole area was suffering from a 'bad rep') that a few 'movers and shakers' of the local community ponied up some pesos and actually paid his attorney to keep him the hell behind bars rather than bail him out...... they bailed him IN. Good things can be accomplished by community action. It's isolated; nearest competition is 43 miles away. Two things to do; fix it, or fuggedaboudit.

Pescador - 11-4-2015 at 09:08 PM

This is from Mexico News:http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/pemex-and-consumers-are-victims-of-theft/

fish101 - 11-4-2015 at 09:32 PM

Mulege is not the only PEMEX that shorts you. Its the way of life down here. I took my 5 gallon container in to each station to see which ones were close to being honest. One station got 23 litres in the 18.9 litre container.. I asked the attendant about it and he told me "IT's Your Luck Day, Senior!!! Had to laugh at that one.. At least we have one PEMEX that is very close to being "HONEST" in Loreto.. Otherwise, just ignore it and move on..

Gulliver - 11-4-2015 at 10:29 PM

From that Mexico News listing it looks like Constitution and Santa Rosalia are the hot spots. Not that it is any new thing.

When I first started reading I saw all those listings for Comondu! What! They have four stations in Comondu? Then I figured it out.

In 91 I sailed into Turtle Bay and took a couple of cans to the dock for some diesel. The kid got seven gallons into the six gallon cans. I started laughing to hard that the kid started laughing too. Then I thought about what went in to getting those 55 gallon drums over that horrid road in from Rt. 1 and paid up.

JC43 - 11-5-2015 at 06:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fish101  
Mulege is not the only PEMEX that shorts you. Its the way of life down here. I took my 5 gallon container in to each station to see which ones were close to being honest. One station got 23 litres in the 18.9 litre container.. I asked the attendant about it and he told me "IT's Your Luck Day, Senior!!! Had to laugh at that one.. At least we have one PEMEX that is very close to being "HONEST" in Loreto.. Otherwise, just ignore it and move on..

It is not the question how they fill 23 liters into a 18 liter can...... the question is: How did you make it happen to empty your can that much.

Bajakiter - 11-6-2015 at 11:22 AM

Its a well know fact that a high % of gas stations from TJ to Cabo have pumps that have been altered. Someone not to long ago posted a list of stations that were true and corrupt.

Over the years traveling the whole length of Baja, there have been on a few stations that the pumps read true. In my personal experiences, the

I'm lucky enough to live in San Quintin and the Pemex next to Los Pinos pumps are true. Seeing that they own that station, they make sure the pumps are calibrated pretty frequently so that they can keep track of the fuel going into their fleet of trucks (diesel and gas).
Every time I have filled up both my truck and my 5 gal jugs, it has been spot on.

dtbushpilot - 11-6-2015 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajakiter  
Its a well know fact that a high % of gas stations from TJ to Cabo have pumps that have been altered. Someone not to long ago posted a list of stations that were true and corrupt.

Over the years traveling the whole length of Baja, there have been on a few stations that the pumps read true. In my personal experiences, the

I'm lucky enough to live in San Quintin and the Pemex next to Los Pinos pumps are true. Seeing that they own that station, they make sure the pumps are calibrated pretty frequently so that they can keep track of the fuel going into their fleet of trucks (diesel and gas).
Every time I have filled up both my truck and my 5 gal jugs, it has been spot on.

I always use the Los Pinos Pemex coming and going, it's not necessary to use the El Rosario station any more if you can go the extra 30 miles.

Bajahowodd - 11-6-2015 at 05:46 PM

I also buy gas at Los Pinos on my way South. You are correct that the few miles to El Rosario should not be a problem for most folks.

David K - 11-6-2015 at 06:36 PM

It sounds like you guys think El Rosario Pemex would not have the same integrity as Los Pinos?

Los Pinos grows tomatoes, they have a good business. They now own the former Desert Inn/La Pinta/El Presidente hotels at San Quintin and Cataviña and Rancho Grande on Gonzaga Bay.

Your fellow Nomad, 'BajaCactus' (Antonio) is putting all his available resources into an ambulance and fire fighting service for tourists and locals alike, in El Rosario. Surely that warrants some consideration? Will Los Pinos drive out to rescue you in an accident in the desert near Cataviña? Please top off at his (always) honest pumps and stay at his ultra-nice motel, whenever possible.

chuckie - 11-6-2015 at 06:53 PM

"All his available resources"? Really?

David K - 11-6-2015 at 07:03 PM

Yes, his resources come from customers who use his products or services... something that used to be called the free-enterprise system here...

rts551 - 11-6-2015 at 07:21 PM

I believe that some of us donate to this service....so its not all his resources.

The equipment was donated and the upgrades were funded through fund raisers. Many of us help.

There are some whose excuse is they do not get to El Rosario often....I guess they are allergic to PAYPAL.

[Edited on 11-7-2015 by rts551]

rts551 - 11-6-2015 at 07:26 PM

Los Pinos is an excellent/honest gas station and easy fill-up for those staying at the excellent hotels of Hotel Santa Maria or Jardines. Get a morning cup of coffee while you are there as you head out North or South.

David K - 11-6-2015 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
I believe that some of us donate to this service....so its not all his resources.

The equipment was donated and the upgrades were funded through fund raisers. Many of us help.

There are some whose excuse is they do not get to El Rosario often....I guess they are allergic to PAYPAL.

[Edited on 11-7-2015 by rts551]

No, you are correct PayPal works great!

dtbushpilot - 11-6-2015 at 07:35 PM

I prefer to get gas at Los Pinos for a number of reasons, i usually try to stay at Jardines if I'm looking for accommodations in the area. I also prefer the Baja Cactus if I am unfortunate enough to have to stay in El Rosario. I also support Antonio's rescue service via paypal and appreciate his contribution to local safety. Free market enterprise is a wonderful thing, we can pick and chose what works best for us and do business where we feel we get the best value for our peso. My choices have nothing to do with Antonio being a good guy or not.

David K - 11-6-2015 at 07:43 PM

Yes indeed... and thanks David, I know you can appreciate his struggle. I post for the newbies who may not know of this outstanding citizen of El Rosario or that their business at Baja Cactus Tourist Services has benefits beyond the obvious.

If it is a six of one/ half dozen of another decision, then please support an honest Baja Nomad member business! I support Los Pinos every time I buy tomatoes up here, so for gasoline, I will pick Baja Cactus, El Rosario!

Gulliver - 11-6-2015 at 09:00 PM

I'm headed South from the Northwest with a big box of medical supplies for Antonio. I would be very surprised if there was any problem with his pumps.

A bigger problem for me is getting from Guerro Negro to Mulege with out dealing with the various bandits in Santa Rosalia.

Not just the gas stations. Various other creative scams as well. A couple of years ago there were two fat young men on bicycles running around bugging people about where the parked and doing the best they could to get a few bucks out of them. Small potatoes but still indicative of the general mentality. I park at the old marina and walk in rather than be pestered with dolts.

I suspect the first Korean mine executive they bothered was the last of them and their bikes. Or maybe they washed away in the last hurricane.

David K - 11-7-2015 at 09:55 AM

After Gonzaga Bay, I next filled up in Vizcaino (the northern-most, original) station on the west side of the highway. No noticeable problems or crime with the pumps. I next topped the tank at the old, single pump station in downtown Mulegé (didn't need much)... we camped at Concepcion Bay then came home. At Vizcaino again, I tried the newest station, on the east side of the highway, in town... and had no noticeable criminal action. I drove from Vizcaino to San Felipe on one tank.

Pescador - 11-7-2015 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
I'm headed South from the Northwest with a big box of medical supplies for Antonio. I would be very surprised if there was any problem with his pumps.

A bigger problem for me is getting from Guerro Negro to Mulege with out dealing with the various bandits in Santa Rosalia.

Not just the gas stations. Various other creative scams as well. A couple of years ago there were two fat young men on bicycles running around bugging people about where the parked and doing the best they could to get a few bucks out of them. Small potatoes but still indicative of the general mentality. I park at the old marina and walk in rather than be pestered with dolts.

I suspect the first Korean mine executive they bothered was the last of them and their bikes. Or maybe they washed away in the last hurricane.

I take offense at your rants on Santa Rosalia. I happen to personally know the owner of the Pemex just north of the old marina and it is a totally honest and pure delivery. The oldest Pemex was a serious problem but now seems to be putting out honest deliveries, and the station north of town is owned by the same owner, but since I have no experience there, I will not comment. The newer station about 5 blocks north of the marina I have only used a couple of times and deliveries were as accurate as I could see with boat gas cans. I think that Santa Rosalia is a kind of "pure" Mexican town that does not rely heavily on tourist trade like Mulege or Loreto, but those of us who live here are proud of the town, its population, and feel lucky to have many friends here, so please be careful when "painting the whole town with a broad brush" which is unfair and demeaning.

bajabuddha - 11-7-2015 at 03:35 PM

:rolleyes: Dittos on what he said. :rolleyes:

dtbushpilot - 11-7-2015 at 03:40 PM

I was the victim of an attempted scam and I watched them try to scam a gringo driving a motorhome at the Pemex on the north end of town, I alerted him to what they were doing. They also got my wife when she gassed up my pick up there once, she wasn't aware of the various scams to look for. I never stop there, they are crooks, I always use the Pemex north of the marina.

[Edited on 11-7-2015 by dtbushpilot]

BigBearRider - 11-7-2015 at 04:37 PM

I've never noticed that I've been a victim in Baja (but maybe I have). Ignorance is bliss.

However, coming back from Tikal in Guatemala, a gas station attendant managed to stuff 19 or so gallons of gas into our 9 gallon tank. We weren't paying attention, and I was going to let it slide. My buddy got angry, and we got our money back after some argument. I suspect that they actually pumped the 19 or so gallons, but only about half of it into our car. The other half went into the car of a buddy who came flying in when we were inside the gas station paying.

[Edited on 11-7-2015 by BigBearRider]

Gulliver - 11-7-2015 at 05:06 PM

I have no recent knowledge of gas station problems in Santa Rosalia. Of course that's because I had problems some years ago and, in the spirit of avoiding hassles, haven't bought any gas there since. I will keep your endorsements of that station in mind. Thank you.

BigBearRider - 11-7-2015 at 05:34 PM

I should add too that I know smart locals who use the big Pemex on the east side of the 1 in Santa Rosalia, next to the huge old building on the west side of the street. I assume this is a good sign.

Bajahowodd - 11-7-2015 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
I prefer to get gas at Los Pinos for a number of reasons, i usually try to stay at Jardines if I'm looking for accommodations in the area. I also prefer the Baja Cactus if I am unfortunate enough to have to stay in El Rosario. I also support Antonio's rescue service via paypal and appreciate his contribution to local safety. Free market enterprise is a wonderful thing, we can pick and chose what works best for us and do business where we feel we get the best value for our peso. My choices have nothing to do with Antonio being a good guy or not.

Exactly! I never claimed that Antonio's pumps were dishonest. I just do not like the overall vibe in El Rosario. Much prefer the ambiance back up in San Quintin.

Plus, the Los Pinos stop has great restrooms and a well stocked store. Just don't want to be making that long journey South without my Tecate Light.

Bajakiter - 11-7-2015 at 06:08 PM

David K, I have never had a need to stop in El Rosario Pemex when I head South or back up from La Paz or on day trips to Punta San Carlos.

I have heard good things about 'BajaCactus' (Antonio), among them rescuing a motorcyclist a while back and getting him back up to the boarder when we had the riots in SQ.

Thinking out loud here that fellow Nomads should band together and get a list or thread going of stations that are worth stopping at. Ones that we should avoid at all cost and a rating system of (1-5) 1 being stay away and 5 best.

Its getting that time of the year when all the snowbirds from the Northwest and the Canadians make their way down South. I recommend this site to them for the latest road conditions and general "local info".

mtgoat666 - 11-7-2015 at 06:24 PM

David K, I have never had a need to stop in El Rosario Pemex when I head South or back up from La Paz or on day trips to Punta San Carlos.

I have heard good things about 'BajaCactus' (Antonio), among them rescuing a motorcyclist a while back and getting him back up to the boarder when we had the riots in SQ.

Thinking out loud here that fellow Nomads should band together and get a list or thread going of stations that are worth stopping at. Ones that we should avoid at all cost and a rating system of (1-5) 1 being stay away and 5 best.

Its getting that time of the year when all the snowbirds from the Northwest and the Canadians make their way down South. I recommend this site to them for the latest road conditions and general "local info".

Thats a list that AAA or one of the travel clubs or yelp/travelocity should offer and maintain

Bajakiter - 11-7-2015 at 06:44 PM

I totally agree mtgoat666, would love to pull that up on my mobile AAA App, but seeing that most folks on this site either live or spend quite a bit of time in Baja. Those are the folks that would know best and could give the most reliable info.

motoged - 11-7-2015 at 07:51 PM

It's really kind of simple....mostly.

Stand by the pump when you get out of your vehicle, make sure it is set to $0.00....and then watch the pump as it rolls to it's final destination. Pay the amount in pesos....

False calibration is beyond the customer's control at that point, it seems....

Maybe I am missing something?

rts551 - 11-7-2015 at 08:03 PM

Do you think this bunch could agree on which stations should get a 1 and which should get a 5?:lol:

Justbozo - 11-8-2015 at 07:33 AM

OK, now back to you Mulege...

Stopped at the south side Pemex yesterday.
The Magna pump handles were tied off to the hose with plastic grocery bags.
"No Magna, premium" was the greeting I received.
Well, since I was at my self imposed minimum tank level and only doing local driving I had him put in the usual 500 pesos worth.
As the pump was running, my mind started wondering (yes, with an "o") as it quite often does. " Are they really out of Magna, or just cleaning out old, high dollar inventory on a Saturday in early November to the very noticeable inrush of snowbirds?"
I recalled that just in my local driving on Mex1 I had seen at least 3 Pemex trucks, thus probably no delivery shortages.

Would they really do that???
Jajaja

Pescador - 11-8-2015 at 10:01 AM

The pump in town does not have both and only dispenses Magna or green and they were pumping away yesterday. You may be right, gotta sell some of that expensive gas when it starts getting stale.:P:P