Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: gas in Mulege
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 09:00 PM
gas in Mulege

How come I bought 19 Liters of gas from each station in Mulege and ended up with appro 34.07 liters after transfer to US
:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 09:03 PM

Call it a transfer fee and forget about it!
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 09:06 PM

No problem been doing it for 20 yrs

roundtuit
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 09:08 PM

I'm old and new math makes no sense

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 09:13 PM

Just out of curiosity, how did you calibrate the measurement when you poured it out?
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 09:56 PM

Several years ago I was short changed in the gas station south of Mulege,
after complaining ( i SPEAK FLUENT SPANISH) I was given the right amount of gas, but also told not to come back to the station.
Both stations in and out of town are owned by the same person.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 10:14 PM

If you live in a small town, it is not good to be banned from the gas stations. That would be no bueno.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 10:51 PM

Bienvenidos a Baja. Change is the constant, and some things never change.

The only way things will change in the Mulegé area is if the Mulegeños send a message to the Jéfe of the stations.... LEGALLY, but effectively make an effort to document times, dates and places (both stations) of discrepancies, and go upstairs politically to get the situation finally resolved. Hopefully someone needs to step forward and figurehead a solution to a long-standing disservice. There are a lot of full-timers there who know 'people in the know' of the Way Of Things there... it would be nice to see that area rejuvenate and bring back the glory of small-town true Méxicano comfort. No wonder the fruit is dying on the vine.... it's truly my favorite place on earth, and I'd love to see it prosper again. Now those who have investments and income there come forth and tell me how well you... and the town... and the real estate... are doing. Ain't just the storms washing things away.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 04:39 AM

Mark your cans in "Mulege liters" and fuggedaboud it....That's the way it is..

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 04:17 PM

.....I don't really mind too much if it's basically a gringo tax.

....or do locals get hit too?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 04:53 PM

I think that you can contact Pemex and complain. Problem is that if Pemex cuts off supply, and this dealer is the only resource in the area, then folks walk, unless they have enough in the tank to make it to Santa Rosalia.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 04:53 PM

They don't have a pump labeled for Mexicans only...

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 05:01 PM

My Pappy raised me to abhor liars and thieves, and this is thievery, with a little oligarchy thrown in for good(?) measure. The area had a thievery problem, an individual nicknamed 'Koki'... when in the hoosegow the town was quiet and serene. When out and on the loose, he'd hit the beaches, the town gringos, and the locals with impunity, and brag about the fact it was the way he made his living; stealing, and proud of it. Robbed a friend of mine and got off scot-free. He finally got a serious charge, got locked up..... and there was enough of a public uproar and communal movement (because of the fact the whole area was suffering from a 'bad rep') that a few 'movers and shakers' of the local community ponied up some pesos and actually paid his attorney to keep him the hell behind bars rather than bail him out...... they bailed him IN. Good things can be accomplished by community action. It's isolated; nearest competition is 43 miles away. Two things to do; fix it, or fuggedaboudit.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 09:08 PM

This is from Mexico News:http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/pemex-and-consumers-are-victims-of-theft/

fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 09:32 PM

Mulege is not the only PEMEX that shorts you. Its the way of life down here. I took my 5 gallon container in to each station to see which ones were close to being honest. One station got 23 litres in the 18.9 litre container.. I asked the attendant about it and he told me "IT's Your Luck Day, Senior!!! Had to laugh at that one.. At least we have one PEMEX that is very close to being "HONEST" in Loreto.. Otherwise, just ignore it and move on..
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 10:29 PM

From that Mexico News listing it looks like Constitution and Santa Rosalia are the hot spots. Not that it is any new thing.

When I first started reading I saw all those listings for Comondu! What! They have four stations in Comondu? Then I figured it out.

In 91 I sailed into Turtle Bay and took a couple of cans to the dock for some diesel. The kid got seven gallons into the six gallon cans. I started laughing to hard that the kid started laughing too. Then I thought about what went in to getting those 55 gallon drums over that horrid road in from Rt. 1 and paid up.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 06:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fish101  
Mulege is not the only PEMEX that shorts you. Its the way of life down here. I took my 5 gallon container in to each station to see which ones were close to being honest. One station got 23 litres in the 18.9 litre container.. I asked the attendant about it and he told me "IT's Your Luck Day, Senior!!! Had to laugh at that one.. At least we have one PEMEX that is very close to being "HONEST" in Loreto.. Otherwise, just ignore it and move on..

It is not the question how they fill 23 liters into a 18 liter can...... the question is: How did you make it happen to empty your can that much.
Bajakiter

[*] posted on 11-6-2015 at 11:22 AM

Its a well know fact that a high % of gas stations from TJ to Cabo have pumps that have been altered. Someone not to long ago posted a list of stations that were true and corrupt.

Over the years traveling the whole length of Baja, there have been on a few stations that the pumps read true. In my personal experiences, the

I'm lucky enough to live in San Quintin and the Pemex next to Los Pinos pumps are true. Seeing that they own that station, they make sure the pumps are calibrated pretty frequently so that they can keep track of the fuel going into their fleet of trucks (diesel and gas).
Every time I have filled up both my truck and my 5 gal jugs, it has been spot on.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-6-2015 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajakiter  
Its a well know fact that a high % of gas stations from TJ to Cabo have pumps that have been altered. Someone not to long ago posted a list of stations that were true and corrupt.

Over the years traveling the whole length of Baja, there have been on a few stations that the pumps read true. In my personal experiences, the

I'm lucky enough to live in San Quintin and the Pemex next to Los Pinos pumps are true. Seeing that they own that station, they make sure the pumps are calibrated pretty frequently so that they can keep track of the fuel going into their fleet of trucks (diesel and gas).
Every time I have filled up both my truck and my 5 gal jugs, it has been spot on.

I always use the Los Pinos Pemex coming and going, it's not necessary to use the El Rosario station any more if you can go the extra 30 miles.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2015 at 05:46 PM

I also buy gas at Los Pinos on my way South. You are correct that the few miles to El Rosario should not be a problem for most folks.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.