BajaNomad

Pemex rip-off attempt

woody with a view - 11-14-2015 at 05:15 PM

Yesterday at the new Pemex just south of Camalu on the east side of the road I pulled in and asked for $40 of Magna. When the pump stopped at 500 pesos I asked the guy how many pesos for a dollar? 15 was the reply. I then told him he should go find a calculator. When he came back he fumbled around with it and them asked me if I had one. I told him 15=1, 150=10, 300=20, 450=30 AND 600=40 all the while tapping on my head. The turd tried to give me 50 pesos as change. I asked him to go inside and tell the young girl to reset the pump and produce my 100 pesos of fuel which he did.

All of this was conducted in Pueblo Spanglish so the turd couldn't wait for me to leave. Fair warning!!!

Tioloco - 11-14-2015 at 05:27 PM

That sucks! I am sure you surprised him when you called him out on it. Hopefully the remainder of your trip was fun.

woody with a view - 11-14-2015 at 05:30 PM

it was! pollo del mar in the freezer for the holidays!!! halibut from the beach yesterday morning before i left, 20 minutes at SY last night at 8:03pm. all good!

[Edited on 11-15-2015 by woody with a view]

Maron - 11-14-2015 at 05:33 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. Enjoy your bounty.

Tioloco - 11-14-2015 at 05:38 PM

That sounds tastier than ten turkeys!

bajagrouper - 11-14-2015 at 05:42 PM

Sounds like the turd is the one who asked for fuel in dollars instead of the money of the country, pesos........

woody with a view - 11-14-2015 at 05:45 PM

yeah, i only take out enough pesos for what i think i'll spend. when that runs out i guess i should just be ripped off? kiss my grit!

mikeymarlin - 11-14-2015 at 06:19 PM

right on Woody !!!!!!!

David K - 11-14-2015 at 06:52 PM

Newbies to Baja Travel:

If I run out of pesos, and need to use the back up bucks: I have my Staples solar powered calculator in hand (the attendants often have), I see the dollar:peso exchange rate posted (or ask), and I do the math.

I always ask to fill the tank (lleno el tanque por favor).
Then, I see the peso total on the pump, 600 (for example), enter that and divide by the pesos to dollar rate (say it's 15)... US$40.

If it was all nice and smooth...

Give the nice person a dollar or 15 pesos (if he is nice or offers to clean the windshield.)

Remember, you are on a vacation... and spending money is the cost of your fun!

mtgoat666 - 11-14-2015 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
. I told him 15=1, 150=10, 300=20, 450=30 AND 600=40 all the while tapping on my head. The turd tried to give me 50 pesos as change.

All of this was conducted in Pueblo Spanglish so the turd couldn't wait for me to leave. Fair warning!!!

Tapping your head, blathering in Spanglish,.. You sound like a jerk customer, I am sure the guy was talking about you with his buddies after you left,... Were your ears burning?
Pretty american? Not!

:lol::lol:

Ricardo - 11-14-2015 at 07:17 PM

So if you were in Arizona and asked for 600 pesos worth of gas , how would that have worked out?

CJ - 11-14-2015 at 09:21 PM

This whole thing makes you look pretty shallow Woody.......next time use pesos, good luck

Tioloco - 11-14-2015 at 09:52 PM

Woody-
Sounds like there are some real perfect angel nomads here. Anyway, enjoy the fish. Or not. Maybe it was shallow of you to keep the fish you caught. :)

alacran - 11-14-2015 at 10:05 PM

Woody, if you want to be in another county (Mexico, or other) try to be a decent guest and follow the rules (money system and more) of that country.
Like somebody else mentioned try to pay in Pesos, and liters in the US.

Maron - 11-14-2015 at 10:27 PM

WOW now is wrong not to get ripped off? So, we should always pay a bribe? I say good for you Woody.

woody with a view - 11-15-2015 at 06:28 AM

since i ran out of pesos and Mexico accepts dollars as a form of payment why am i in the wrong for spending $40 to get home? as for the guy ripping off customers and then pretending to not get his calculator to work i guess you've all just become accustomed to bending over at the slightest suggestion and have become accepting of being lied to and your money stolen. to each their own. it seems stupid of you, but who am i to judge? my apologies to all of you for making you all look bad because of my gringo mannerisms!:lol:

anyway, my "Pueblo Spanglish" was a poor attempt at humor. actually, my Spanish is pretty damn good.

edit: i suppose i should have tipped the guy afterward for trying to steal from me just like all y'alls would have done?:lol:

gnukid - 11-15-2015 at 08:21 AM

Be aware many people who work at pemex don't have basic math skills and can't figure it out even with a calculator so take it slow and be kind while you show the steps to complete the math and be patient.

Definitely a good idea to be really clear about the amount you want to buy and what you will pay at the start so there is no confusion or stress for the staff.

mtgoat666 - 11-15-2015 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
i suppose i should have tipped the guy afterward for trying to steal from me just like all y'alls would have done?

I don't think anyone expected you to tip.

When I worked in service industry, I could always spot The cheap skate no tipper a mile away. They all have that aura of cheap self-centered jerk :lol:

woody with a view - 11-15-2015 at 09:16 AM

you certainly are entitled to your opinion. just thought some would like to know about a rip-off artist in action.

maybe i should just post up a trip report with pics? nah.....

watizname - 11-15-2015 at 09:16 AM

He was just a concerned Mexican citizen who was giving his Norte American brother a math test Woodie, and you PASSED. Aint life grand. :biggrin::biggrin:

Ateo - 11-15-2015 at 09:33 AM

Post a trip report dude!

ehall - 11-15-2015 at 11:24 AM

I did the same thing woody except the attendant whipped out a calculator and showed me I was wrong. Ouch. Felt pretty stupid. I try to stick to pesos to save face.

Udo - 11-15-2015 at 11:33 AM

While we are on the subject of PEMEX gas...

Yesterday I filled up with "VERDE" at the PEMEX across from the Mc Donalds in Otay.

I fumbled through my leftover change and found out that I was out of Pesos.

So I figure I'd have to bite the bullet and give the gas attendant USD instead.
Asked him what the exchange rate was and was told 16.40 per USD.That's pretty good considering that most of Ensenada was giving 15.90 to 16.1 per USD.

So I figured 20.00USD pretty much would fill up my Prius, but was prepared for an exchange argument. I added in my head...16.40 pesos times 2 equals $20.00USD, so $20.00 USD should be 328 Pesos.

To my surprise, the pump stopped at about 290 Pesos, and the attendant managed to put in the rest of the 38 pesos to finish filling the tank.

I gave him a 15 Peso tip with no window washing.

bajaguy - 11-15-2015 at 11:45 AM

16.50 at COSTCO in Ensenada yesterday

Were you in town??

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
While we are on the subject of PEMEX gas...

Yesterday I filled up with "VERDE" at the PEMEX across from the Mc Donalds in Otay.

I fumbled through my leftover change and found out that I was out of Pesos.

So I figure I'd have to bite the bullet and give the gas attendant USD instead.
Asked him what the exchange rate was and was told 16.40 per USD.That's pretty good considering that most of Ensenada was giving 15.90 to 16.1 per USD.

So I figured 20.00USD pretty much would fill up my Prius, but was prepared for an exchange argument. I added in my head...16.40 pesos times 2 equals $20.00USD, so $20.00 USD should be 328 Pesos.

To my surprise, the pump stopped at about 290 Pesos, and the attendant managed to put in the rest of the 38 pesos to finish filling the tank.

I gave him a 15 Peso tip with no window washing.

Udo - 11-15-2015 at 12:59 PM

Yes, I was, Terry for a quick trip to the house project Terry. Plus I had to stop by COSTCO to pick up a new washing machine that was still on special until Monday.
I did not know COSTCO had a gas station in Ensenada, Terry. I guess it's on the property somewhere.

I thought you were still in BA.

I'll be be back in Ensenada (for another quickee) on Tuesday. I have to give some construction materials cash to our contractor (Ambrosio). We'll see how our time goes, and we'll make a swing by your house time permitting (we would like to make to the border before 4 p.m.).

woody with a view - 11-15-2015 at 01:39 PM

when the turd said 15-1 i figured that was his way of making a little something on the transaction. no biggie, it made the math easier in my head.

bajaguy - 11-15-2015 at 01:42 PM

No gas station, that was the posted rate in the store which I thought was very good

I will be in San Diego on Tuesday, I'll catch you next trip

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Yes, I was, Terry for a quick trip to the house project Terry. Plus I had to stop by COSTCO to pick up a new washing machine that was still on special until Monday.
I did not know COSTCO had a gas station in Ensenada, Terry. I guess it's on the property somewhere.

I thought you were still in BA.

I'll be be back in Ensenada (for another quickee) on Tuesday. I have to give some construction materials cash to our contractor (Ambrosio). We'll see how our time goes, and we'll make a swing by your house time permitting (we would like to make to the border before 4 p.m.).

woody with a view - 11-15-2015 at 02:08 PM

nothing, he wasn't that smart. i knew when he stopped at 500 that i was being shorted. other than that, if they are smart enough there's nothing stopping them from screwing you. same could be said for anywhere in the world, but this forum isn't about those other places, is it?

woody with a view - 11-15-2015 at 03:25 PM

i love milk!

freediverbrian - 11-15-2015 at 06:26 PM

Hey leche not everyone is dishonest , have faith it will take you farther that synisism

TecateRay - 11-16-2015 at 08:19 AM

Same station tried to cheat me last year. Posted exchange rate was good so I thought I'd use some dollars up. He wanted to give me less than the posted exchange rate, said it didn't matter what was posted. I ended up paying with pesos.
Point is - while that station is convenient you need to have your calculator out every time you buy fuel there.

bajatrailrider - 11-16-2015 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TecateRay  
Same station tried to cheat me last year. Posted exchange rate was good so I thought I'd use some dollars up. He wanted to give me less than the posted exchange rate, said it didn't matter what was posted. I ended up paying with pesos.
Point is - while that station is convenient you need to have your calculator out every time you buy fuel there.
This info is best,calculator every time.

alacran - 11-16-2015 at 04:36 PM

When in Rome, do like the Romans do, when in Mexico pay in pesos and think liters.

chatolj - 11-16-2015 at 09:26 PM

I agree that using Pesos is much easier than having to compute exchange rates for purchases. But when ever i run out Pesos i simply do the math 15ps x 50 dlls = 750 before i tell the attendant. so even though i'm paying in dlls i'm talking pesos. And for all the Peso only people, if you ask a price for anything more than a tortilla in the private sector you will be given an answer in dollars. Just look at every car being driven around thats for sale. So yes, dollars are very much loved. Don't worry Woody, the ones that never run out of Ps are the same ones that never get seasick. Liars or they don't get out enough to have it happen.

Tioloco - 11-16-2015 at 09:43 PM

Well said, Chato

bajabuddha - 11-16-2015 at 09:48 PM

Ain't it amazing, someone posts online of an actual rip-off to let folks know to be on their toes, and the drum-beaters come out to make him into not the victim, but the 'dummy' for allowing himself to actually be taken advantage of.

I've been ripped off at St. Antonio's station at El Rosario; yes, my guard was down, and yes, it was because of dolares vs. pesos....... but IT WAS STILL A RIP-OFF, no matter how you paint it. Wasn't the owner's fault, wasn't my fault either; was a coyote taking advantage of raw meat, period. Hang it out, they'll snatch it. The PERP is the criminal, the COYOTE the opportunist. One-on-one. Once only though; second time, shame on ME.

You can debate until the sun stops shining about the why's people do what they do; but on Sunday they go to their churches and by Monday they're forgiven. Please keep posting the places where this goes down, makes everyone a little more cautious, and wiser.

Tioloco - 11-16-2015 at 09:51 PM

YEP!

Fatboy - 11-17-2015 at 03:14 PM

The only things that upsets me was the OP use of 'turd' to describe the attendant.

Maybe he was trying to get $5.00 off you?

Maybe he was bad at math?

Maybe his mother just died and he was distracted?

Maybe he was a 'TURD' and you should have removed him from this planet?

Maybe...?

I appreciate the warning about the station.... reminds me to pay attention when buying something.

Also reminds me to not be a jerk if something doesn't seem right.

Also reminds me of the guy that pulled in a new F250 power-stroke a few years back at a small store in central Baja and throws a fit in the store because they would not take his $100 bill for two bags of ice.

Oh well

woody with a view - 11-17-2015 at 03:45 PM

at no time did i disrespect him. maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, just MAYBE he was trying to rip me off?

bajabuddha - 11-17-2015 at 03:51 PM

..........sure smelled like one to me.........

Howard - 11-17-2015 at 03:53 PM

Jeez, I think the comparison between the "turd" with the $100 bill is apples and oranges to Woody's story.

Personally I didn't find anything Woody did out of line as either way, an attempted rip off or just not knowing the math, the attendant learned a little for the next time.

Also, I think you went 4 maybe's to far. Woody, as you know, there are a lot of haters in this world and you can't please everybody. I think if somebody on this board found a cure for cancer there would be haters why they didn't find it quicker.

[Edited on 11-18-2015 by Howard]