Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Pemex rip-off attempt
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 05:15 PM
Pemex rip-off attempt

Yesterday at the new Pemex just south of Camalu on the east side of the road I pulled in and asked for $40 of Magna. When the pump stopped at 500 pesos I asked the guy how many pesos for a dollar? 15 was the reply. I then told him he should go find a calculator. When he came back he fumbled around with it and them asked me if I had one. I told him 15=1, 150=10, 300=20, 450=30 AND 600=40 all the while tapping on my head. The turd tried to give me 50 pesos as change. I asked him to go inside and tell the young girl to reset the pump and produce my 100 pesos of fuel which he did.

All of this was conducted in Pueblo Spanglish so the turd couldn't wait for me to leave. Fair warning!!!

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 05:27 PM

That sucks! I am sure you surprised him when you called him out on it. Hopefully the remainder of your trip was fun.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 05:30 PM

it was! pollo del mar in the freezer for the holidays!!! halibut from the beach yesterday morning before i left, 20 minutes at SY last night at 8:03pm. all good!

[Edited on 11-15-2015 by woody with a view]

Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 05:33 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. Enjoy your bounty.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 05:38 PM

That sounds tastier than ten turkeys!
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 05:42 PM

Sounds like the turd is the one who asked for fuel in dollars instead of the money of the country, pesos........

I hear the whales song
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 05:45 PM

yeah, i only take out enough pesos for what i think i'll spend. when that runs out i guess i should just be ripped off? kiss my grit!

mikeymarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 06:19 PM

right on Woody !!!!!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 06:52 PM

Newbies to Baja Travel:

If I run out of pesos, and need to use the back up bucks: I have my Staples solar powered calculator in hand (the attendants often have), I see the dollar:peso exchange rate posted (or ask), and I do the math.

I always ask to fill the tank (lleno el tanque por favor).
Then, I see the peso total on the pump, 600 (for example), enter that and divide by the pesos to dollar rate (say it's 15)... US$40.

If it was all nice and smooth...

Give the nice person a dollar or 15 pesos (if he is nice or offers to clean the windshield.)

Remember, you are on a vacation... and spending money is the cost of your fun!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
. I told him 15=1, 150=10, 300=20, 450=30 AND 600=40 all the while tapping on my head. The turd tried to give me 50 pesos as change.

All of this was conducted in Pueblo Spanglish so the turd couldn't wait for me to leave. Fair warning!!!

Tapping your head, blathering in Spanglish,.. You sound like a jerk customer, I am sure the guy was talking about you with his buddies after you left,... Were your ears burning?
Pretty american? Not!

:lol::lol:
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 07:17 PM

So if you were in Arizona and asked for 600 pesos worth of gas , how would that have worked out?
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 09:21 PM

This whole thing makes you look pretty shallow Woody.......next time use pesos, good luck
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 09:52 PM

Woody-
Sounds like there are some real perfect angel nomads here. Anyway, enjoy the fish. Or not. Maybe it was shallow of you to keep the fish you caught. :)
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 10:05 PM

Woody, if you want to be in another county (Mexico, or other) try to be a decent guest and follow the rules (money system and more) of that country.
Like somebody else mentioned try to pay in Pesos, and liters in the US.
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 10:27 PM

WOW now is wrong not to get ripped off? So, we should always pay a bribe? I say good for you Woody.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 06:28 AM

since i ran out of pesos and Mexico accepts dollars as a form of payment why am i in the wrong for spending $40 to get home? as for the guy ripping off customers and then pretending to not get his calculator to work i guess you've all just become accustomed to bending over at the slightest suggestion and have become accepting of being lied to and your money stolen. to each their own. it seems stupid of you, but who am i to judge? my apologies to all of you for making you all look bad because of my gringo mannerisms!:lol:

anyway, my "Pueblo Spanglish" was a poor attempt at humor. actually, my Spanish is pretty damn good.

edit: i suppose i should have tipped the guy afterward for trying to steal from me just like all y'alls would have done?:lol:

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 08:21 AM

Be aware many people who work at pemex don't have basic math skills and can't figure it out even with a calculator so take it slow and be kind while you show the steps to complete the math and be patient.

Definitely a good idea to be really clear about the amount you want to buy and what you will pay at the start so there is no confusion or stress for the staff.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
i suppose i should have tipped the guy afterward for trying to steal from me just like all y'alls would have done?

I don't think anyone expected you to tip.

When I worked in service industry, I could always spot The cheap skate no tipper a mile away. They all have that aura of cheap self-centered jerk :lol:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 09:16 AM

you certainly are entitled to your opinion. just thought some would like to know about a rip-off artist in action.

maybe i should just post up a trip report with pics? nah.....

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 09:16 AM

He was just a concerned Mexican citizen who was giving his Norte American brother a math test Woodie, and you PASSED. Aint life grand. :biggrin::biggrin:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.