BajaNomad

Advice for a First Timer !

neveragain - 11-24-2015 at 02:20 PM

First of all, I am sure this is an annoying thread and something you get all the time so I appreciate your responses in advance!

Want to have the most up to date answers to some of these questions - if I missed a post that answered these questions recently please direct me there!

I'm looking to drive the peninsula with my girlfriend in late January / early February. We are going to rent a car in Tijuana and return in at SDJ. (Crazy enough, I seem to have found a rental without a one way drop off fee. Seems too good to be true, but had multiple supervisors assure me by phone there was no fee!)

My biggest questions are about safety and itinerary.

1 - Is this a reasonably safe trip for a 30 year old and his girlfriend? We don't speak very much Spanish at all, have no experience in the area and have never been to the region. I've been scouring articles and posts online and gathering as much information as I can. We are doing this on a budget and can't afford multiple extortions or unforeseen mishaps.

2 - Is this really a do-able trip in 8-9 days? We're mostly hoping to soak up some of the breathtaking nature of the peninsula, eat some cheap delicious food, see some whales or other marine wildlife (from a distance is fine), take a day trip to the cave paintings, hit some spots off the beaten path for desolate relaxation/exploration, and maybe find a good swimming hole. The itinerary I have so far is:

Day 1/2 Tijuana>Guerrero Negro with a stop somewhere along the way
Day 3/4 Guerrero Negro/San Ignacio
Day 5/6 Loreto
Day 7 La Paz
Day 8 Cabo

ANY and all thoughts/resources would be wildly appreciated.

:) :)

willardguy - 11-24-2015 at 02:35 PM

oh man...this is got bajanomad written all over it!:lol: hang on to your seat!

Ken Cooke - 11-24-2015 at 03:02 PM

That's going to be a fun trip!:bounce: Take into account, El Niņo might affect Hwy 1, if there are storms taking place during your vacation. Carry a pocket dictionary, keep your valuables out of plain sight in your vehicle when parked, Carry Pesos if possible. Have a great time!

tiotomasbcs - 11-24-2015 at 03:05 PM

Of course, you will find so many places you can't explore long enough but you will be fine on your limited time schedule. Read our Travel posts and search for past reports. Get a good Travel book/maps! And don't miss Mulege; very affordable and beautiful beaches. Watch out for the expenses in Cabo. Contact me when you get close to Todos Santos. Buen Viaje. Tio

neveragain - 11-24-2015 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
That's going to be a fun trip!:bounce: Take into account, El Niņo might affect Hwy 1, if there are storms taking place during your vacation. Carry a pocket dictionary, keep your valuables out of plain sight in your vehicle when parked, Carry Pesos if possible. Have a great time!

thanks so much! trying to read up on el nino and just how much rainfall it could bring. do you think there's a reasonable chance that the peninsula could see a week straight of rain at any point? worth considering before i fly out from NYC :)

neveragain - 11-24-2015 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Of course, you will find so many places you can't explore long enough but you will be fine on your limited time schedule. Read our Travel posts and search for past reports. Get a good Travel book/maps! And don't miss Mulege; very affordable and beautiful beaches. Watch out for the expenses in Cabo. Contact me when you get close to Todos Santos. Buen Viaje. Tio

thanks so much! embarrassed to say i just found the search function, will prove to be very helpful - will contact you for sure!! :D

micah202 - 11-24-2015 at 03:45 PM

....I bet you 10 fish taco's you'll find that you're short on time,,constantly having to uproot yourself to keep to that schedule,,,regret some of the looooong sections of drive, and nowhere is the saying more true than Baja....''tight plans make the devil laugh'',,,there's a lot of variables and wildcards in that 1000miles.

I'd look into flying in to Loreto or Cabo and tour the south range., you might actually be able to relax and enjoy yourselves that way ;)

[Edited on 11-24-2015 by micah202]

rts551 - 11-24-2015 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
oh man...this is got bajanomad written all over it!:lol: hang on to your seat!

Where are the maps and palm trees, along with a selfie or two. ?

Neveragain: Start out as you have planned leaving your itinerary loose. If you find a place you really enjoy, well enjoy it. Remember you can always come back for more another time.

mojo_norte - 11-24-2015 at 03:55 PM

2X for flying into Cabo and just doing Baja Sur. For safety you want to be off the highway and in a hotel or safe camp by sundown.

micah202 - 11-24-2015 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
2X for flying into Cabo and just doing Baja Sur. For safety you want to be off the highway and in a hotel or safe camp by sundown.

...I guess it depends on whether they want something of a baja honeymoon.....or to re-enact the Baja1000 :tumble:

neveragain - 11-24-2015 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  

...I guess it depends on whether they want something of a baja honeymoon.....or to re-enact the Baja1000 :tumble:

I have a strange obsession with marathon road trips - last 10 day car trip we did was NYC > DETROIT > UPPER PENINSULA MICHIGAN > CHICAGO > NYC (2,318 miles!) so I'm not toooo worried about the driving!

I guess at this point the biggest attraction is the scenery of the peninsula itself, sierra san francisco cave paintings and at least a day or two or beachy relaxation. as long as that's do-able in this 8-9 day stretch i'd be OK skipping out on some stops!

thank you and again i'm sorry for the newbie post here -- doing all the research i possibly can!

[Edited on 11-24-2015 by neveragain]

Howard - 11-24-2015 at 04:24 PM

The time of year you are going is almost perfect to see what most people can only dream about, the whale migration to the lagoons. The best time varies by the year but you can almost be 99% assured that by the end of January you will have whales come up to your Panga. (boat) The debate could go on for pages on which location is best, but use the search function to decide for yourself.
Look on this website to learn how to use the "U2U" and shoot me a message and I will reply and try to help your adventure. The number one rule is NEVER drive at night and all else will fall into place.

Have you considered renting a car as planned and flying home from your last destination?

[Edited on 11-24-2015 by Howard]

[Edited on 11-24-2015 by Howard]

micah202 - 11-24-2015 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by neveragain  

I have a strange obsession with marathon road trips - last 10 day car trip we did was NYC > DETROIT > UPPER PENINSULA MICHIGAN > CHICAGO > NYC (2,318 miles!) so I'm not toooo worried about the driving!

I guess at this point the biggest attraction is the scenery of the peninsula itself, sierra san francisco cave paintings and at least a day or two or beachy relaxation. as long as that's do-able in this 8-9 day stretch i'd be OK skipping out on some stops!

thank you and again i'm sorry for the newbie post here -- doing all the research i possibly can!

....okayyy,,,havatit....'U2U' me after your trip,,I'll let yer know where to send the fish taco's :spingrin::tumble:

rts551 - 11-24-2015 at 04:28 PM

[Edited on 11-24-2015 by neveragain]

Baja Highways are not like roads in the USA. Accidents and death due to inattention, driving at night, or driving too fast happen with regularity. Most seasoned baja drivers do not drive at night.

Night Driving

Aldervale - 11-24-2015 at 04:31 PM

Hi

Do you know why there is advice to not drive at night?

January there are short periods of daylight so this advice applies even more.

After dark, the narrow asphalt roads will require your attention and take longer than you expect.

After dark, the open range cows WILL be sleeping on that warm comfy asphalt over every little hill.

The rock,sand, and dirt roads Will take you to some magical places....while getting you stuck, lost , scared and tired.

The advice to spend more time in a given area is sound.

How about a daylight thru drive to San Ignacio and then slow down for the remainder of your trip ?

By all means...enjoy.

Aldervale

neveragain - 11-24-2015 at 04:47 PM

....okayyy,,,havatit....'U2U' me after your trip,,I'll let yer know where to send the fish taco's :spingrin::tumble:

well, you've certainly got me thinking twice! I suppose flying into SJD and avoiding the border stuff in TIJ might buy me more time.. what would I be missing in Baja Norte ?

rts551 - 11-24-2015 at 04:52 PM

well, you've certainly got me thinking twice! I suppose flying into SJD and avoiding the border stuff in TIJ might buy me more time.. what would I be missing in Baja Norte ?

some of the prettiest country. You will miss so much of what Baja really is by flying into a tourist trap.

neveragain - 11-24-2015 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

some of the prettiest country. You will miss so much of what Baja really is by flying into a tourist trap.

exactly why my first instinct was to drive the whole thing... i wouldn't mind missing relaxation in favor of long day drives and sightseeing...

the last thing on earth we want to do is spend time in a tourist trap

MMc - 11-24-2015 at 05:05 PM

I would do your trip!!! The desert and the rocks around Cativina are very spectacular. Bay of L A is also worth a stop and look. The middle of baja Is a very special place and should be seen.The drive fromTJ to the tip is 20 to 24 hours, how you divide it up is up to you.
Think about spending the first night in Bay of L A, doable from TJ on the first day and about 40 miles each way off the main road but worth the effort. However having said that. Many of us love Baja and spend time there but why would you let strangers plan your trip. You'll be fine and have a drive of a lifetime.

Bajahowodd - 11-24-2015 at 05:10 PM

Geez. You already said that you love road trips. There is a tendency on this site to scare folks. My wife and I have been traveling from Orange County California to Cabo for years. Never, ever had a bad experience.

Looking at your original itinerary, I'm guessing that you were planning to see the whales at San Ignacio. San Ignacio is a rather short trip from Guerreo Negro. But, under that itinerary, you would be arriving perhaps a little late in the date for the best whale experience.

When we go to see the whales, we go the Laguna Ojo De Liebre near Guerrero Negro.

We stay at a wonderful hotel in San Quintin called Jardines De Baja, and then go to Guerrero Negro. You may wish to contact Nomad Shari, who supervises whale trip there. She is quite knowledgeable and will definitely enhance your experience.

From Guerrero Negro, you can easily make it to the very cool town of Mulege. Or, if you want to stretch the day a bit, you can make it to Loreto.

What I'm saying is that if you just fly to SJD you will be defeating the purpose of your original idea, as well as not being able to stay in some very nice hotels, eat in some very nice restaurants, and meet some wonderful Mexican folks.

We've made the whale trip at Guerero Negro a number of times. We've also done the trip in San Ignacio. Our experience has been the Guerrero Negro is the better choice.

U2U me if you would like some tips on hotels and restaurants.

MMc - 11-24-2015 at 05:43 PM

Neveragain, check out The u2u in the upper right hand corner. I left some info there.

micah202 - 11-24-2015 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Geez. You already said that you love road trips. There is a tendency on this site to scare folks. My wife and I have been traveling from Orange County California to Cabo for years. Never, ever had a bad experience.

Looking at your original itinerary, I'm guessing that you were planning to see the whales at San Ignacio. San Ignacio is a rather short trip from Guerreo Negro. But, under that itinerary, you would be arriving perhaps a little late in the date for the best whale experience.

When we go to see the whales, we go the Laguna Ojo De Liebre near Guerrero Negro.

We stay at a wonderful hotel in San Quintin called Jardines De Baja, and then go to Guerrero Negro. You may wish to contact Nomad Shari, who supervises whale trip there. She is quite knowledgeable and will definitely enhance your experience.

From Guerrero Negro, you can easily make it to the very cool town of Mulege. Or, if you want to stretch the day a bit, you can make it to Loreto.

What I'm saying is that if you just fly to SJD you will be defeating the purpose of your original idea, as well as not being able to stay in some very nice hotels, eat in some very nice restaurants, and meet some wonderful Mexican folks.

We've made the whale trip at Guerero Negro a number of times. We've also done the trip in San Ignacio. Our experience has been the Guerrero Negro is the better choice.

U2U me if you would like some tips on hotels and restaurants.

....yahhh wellll. I'm an epic longhaul driver,,, but never gone faster than ~2weeks down the peninsula,,,almost always extend my stay. 'Different strokes' and all that. ;)

...definitely drop back and tell us how it went.

....there's a great hotspring campground just south of Ensenada,,,guess yer don't need to know. :)

[Edited on 11-25-2015 by micah202]

cocomo - 11-25-2015 at 08:10 AM

Nutshell advice:
Carry small denominations of pesos in two places, one where you'll be paying for things from, the other in a safe hiding place. Not everyone you buy from will be able to break large bills.

I have only had great experiences in Baja but I've heard some people are opportunists. Don't leave things unattended, in sight, etc.

Never drive at night, the cows and other farm animals pop out from nowhere. The roads aren't up to US standards, and like the other nomads say, require attention. I'm a former sales rep and have covered a lot of land in a lot of countries, try to enjoy this and take your time.

I like my dictionary app on my iPhone, but do brush up on Spanish. It's the WordMagic compact in a little blue app. No matter how bad you think it is the locals will appreciate your effort.

You have to see the whales! I go from San Ignacio but anywhere you go will be magical. If you're near Mulege there are usually whale sharks in Bahia de Conception as well.

Most importantly, whatever happens, maintain a sense of humor!!! Enjoy! You're going to get addicted and have to come back!

wilderone - 11-25-2015 at 09:27 AM

Check your rental car for a jack and good spare tire. 80 km. is 50 mph. Your first day out of TJ will be slow - many small towns and winding mountain sections. Bring pesos.

AKgringo - 11-25-2015 at 11:02 AM

Neveragain, I am with you on the road trip obsession. My best was a round trip from Anchorage AK, to Zihuatanejo via Cabo San Lucas with a ferry to Mazatlan, then back to AK through the interior. (approx 15,000 miles)

I would rather watch the scenery change than spend time in just one place, no matter how nice it is!

From La Paz, I recommend that you take the road through Los Barriles, budget at least a half day to check out the area. You may want to camp, or get a room there as well.

If time permits, drive north to Pescadero and Todos Santos before you have to turn in your rental.

You are going to need another trip!

David K - 11-25-2015 at 11:14 AM

Most of the spectacular Spanish missions (founded between 1697-1797) are along Highway One, and are considered some of the highlights of a Baja trip.

Photos and some data on all 27 of Baja's missions (remember that Baja was the original California, and 18 of these 27 missions are the first California missions) begins here: http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions
The last section of the mission data pages is the location of each on Google Earth with GPS data.

toronja - 11-25-2015 at 11:18 AM

Our first trip down we drove from Oregon to La Paz and back in ~18 days, and didn't do it in a hurry, so your itinerary is certainly do-able. We also did almost no driving at night that first trip. Livestock on the road is a very real risk, as well as getting stuck if you decide to pull off and look for a campsite after dark. That said, we do often drive after dark in Baja now that we've done those stretches more than once, but you miss some beautiful scenery that way.

Don't give up Baja Norte if you're down for a road trip. While it's tempting to fly into Cabo and do less driving, you would miss a ton of stuff that really makes Baja what it is - remote stretches of mind-blowing scenery. Check out Catavina, check out some whales, and definitely pack a fishing rod. You guys are going to have an amazing time, and don't worry about seeing everything in one go - you'll be back!

[Edited on 11-30-2015 by toronja]

victor.vela - 11-5-2016 at 01:54 PM

@neveragain what's the name of the renting company that doesn't charged you to drop the car in Los Cabos.
Thank you beforehand"

Skipjack Joe - 11-5-2016 at 03:14 PM

First of all, I am sure this is an annoying thread and something you get all the time so I appreciate your responses in advance!

Want to have the most up to date answers to some of these questions - if I missed a post that answered these questions recently please direct me there!

I'm looking to drive the peninsula with my girlfriend in late January / early February. We are going to rent a car in Tijuana and return in at SDJ. (Crazy enough, I seem to have found a rental without a one way drop off fee. Seems too good to be true, but had multiple supervisors assure me by phone there was no fee!)

My biggest questions are about safety and itinerary.

1 - Is this a reasonably safe trip for a 30 year old and his girlfriend? We don't speak very much Spanish at all, have no experience in the area and have never been to the region. I've been scouring articles and posts online and gathering as much information as I can. We are doing this on a budget and can't afford multiple extortions or unforeseen mishaps.

2 - Is this really a do-able trip in 8-9 days? We're mostly hoping to soak up some of the breathtaking nature of the peninsula, eat some cheap delicious food, see some whales or other marine wildlife (from a distance is fine), take a day trip to the cave paintings, hit some spots off the beaten path for desolate relaxation/exploration, and maybe find a good swimming hole. The itinerary I have so far is:

Day 1/2 Tijuana>Guerrero Negro with a stop somewhere along the way
Day 3/4 Guerrero Negro/San Ignacio
Day 5/6 Loreto
Day 7 La Paz
Day 8 Cabo

ANY and all thoughts/resources would be wildly appreciated.

:) :)

1) It' safe enough if done wisely.
2) 8-9 day trip can be done when driving in one direction as per your intention.

I would do an overnight stop at Bay of LA on your first night if possible. The large stretch of Baja between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro is arguably the most attractive landscape on the entire peninsula. Don't let it be a blur on the way to some tourist area.

Good luck.

shari - 11-5-2016 at 04:26 PM

Welcome to the sandbox! As everyone has mentioned...just dont drive at night and dont drive fast as you never know what is around every bend...cows, horses, bikes, stalled vehicles, huge pot holes...etc etc...so go slow and enjoy the desert.

Stop in and monkey around with some whales with me at Guerrero Negro as you cruise south!

David K - 11-5-2016 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by victor.vela  
@neveragain what's the name of the renting company that doesn't charged you to drop the car in Los Cabos.
Thank you beforehand"

The thread you are asking the OP in is from 2015, just fyi.

windgrrl - 11-5-2016 at 08:21 PM

With your schedule I'd skip Cabo and La Paz and explore areas between SQ and Loreto. It's my favourite, even though we winter on the East Cape. We flew down for years, but it wasn't until we started driving that we got to experience the beauty of central Baja.

Happy trails,
W

David K - 11-5-2016 at 09:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by windgrrl  
With your schedule I'd skip Cabo and La Paz and explore areas between SQ and Loreto. It's my favourite, even though we winter on the East Cape. We flew down for years, but it wasn't until we started driving that we got to experience the beauty of central Baja.

Happy trails,
W

His trip was around 10 months ago... if he ever went. Sadly, he never followed up with a trip report!

Skipjack Joe - 11-5-2016 at 09:51 PM

Good point, David. I didn't notice the dates.

BajaBlanca - 11-6-2016 at 08:07 AM

I didn't notice the dates either! wonder how the trip went? such a shame that they never did a trip report, which is always fun when written by a first timer.

vandenberg - 11-6-2016 at 08:28 AM

I've known a few folks with lots of travel talk/intentions who never followed through and made them materialize.

Maybe the case here ?

wilderone - 11-6-2016 at 11:37 AM

Your plan is fine. Be sure to check the tires on your rental and be sure there is a jack with a correct size spare tire. You'll be around Guerrero Negro of San Ignacio for the right time to see whales. Be sure to do this. Without knowing your interests, is difficult to provide specific information re: rock hounding, Mission history, pictograph sites, beachcombing, fishing, etc. ?? Try to go to the Saturday night (6:30 pm) pig roast at the La Serinidad hotel in Mulege. A classic Baja outback drive is Loreto to San Javier mission. Yes, it's safe for you. Review topics on this forum for general information. And regarding your car rental company that has no drop-off fee, please let us know if that worked out for you and the name of the company.

Skipjack Joe - 11-6-2016 at 01:20 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

wilderone - 11-6-2016 at 01:49 PM

:) that is funny - I didn't notice the date either.