BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Advice for a First Timer !
neveragain

puzzled.gif posted on 11-24-2015 at 02:20 PM
Advice for a First Timer !

First of all, I am sure this is an annoying thread and something you get all the time so I appreciate your responses in advance!

Want to have the most up to date answers to some of these questions - if I missed a post that answered these questions recently please direct me there!

I'm looking to drive the peninsula with my girlfriend in late January / early February. We are going to rent a car in Tijuana and return in at SDJ. (Crazy enough, I seem to have found a rental without a one way drop off fee. Seems too good to be true, but had multiple supervisors assure me by phone there was no fee!)

My biggest questions are about safety and itinerary.

1 - Is this a reasonably safe trip for a 30 year old and his girlfriend? We don't speak very much Spanish at all, have no experience in the area and have never been to the region. I've been scouring articles and posts online and gathering as much information as I can. We are doing this on a budget and can't afford multiple extortions or unforeseen mishaps.

2 - Is this really a do-able trip in 8-9 days? We're mostly hoping to soak up some of the breathtaking nature of the peninsula, eat some cheap delicious food, see some whales or other marine wildlife (from a distance is fine), take a day trip to the cave paintings, hit some spots off the beaten path for desolate relaxation/exploration, and maybe find a good swimming hole. The itinerary I have so far is:

Day 1/2 Tijuana>Guerrero Negro with a stop somewhere along the way
Day 3/4 Guerrero Negro/San Ignacio
Day 5/6 Loreto
Day 7 La Paz
Day 8 Cabo

ANY and all thoughts/resources would be wildly appreciated.

:) :)
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 02:35 PM

oh man...this is got bajanomad written all over it!:lol: hang on to your seat!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 03:02 PM

That's going to be a fun trip!:bounce: Take into account, El Niņo might affect Hwy 1, if there are storms taking place during your vacation. Carry a pocket dictionary, keep your valuables out of plain sight in your vehicle when parked, Carry Pesos if possible. Have a great time!

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 03:05 PM

Of course, you will find so many places you can't explore long enough but you will be fine on your limited time schedule. Read our Travel posts and search for past reports. Get a good Travel book/maps! And don't miss Mulege; very affordable and beautiful beaches. Watch out for the expenses in Cabo. Contact me when you get close to Todos Santos. Buen Viaje. Tio
neveragain

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
That's going to be a fun trip!:bounce: Take into account, El Niņo might affect Hwy 1, if there are storms taking place during your vacation. Carry a pocket dictionary, keep your valuables out of plain sight in your vehicle when parked, Carry Pesos if possible. Have a great time!

thanks so much! trying to read up on el nino and just how much rainfall it could bring. do you think there's a reasonable chance that the peninsula could see a week straight of rain at any point? worth considering before i fly out from NYC :)
neveragain

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Of course, you will find so many places you can't explore long enough but you will be fine on your limited time schedule. Read our Travel posts and search for past reports. Get a good Travel book/maps! And don't miss Mulege; very affordable and beautiful beaches. Watch out for the expenses in Cabo. Contact me when you get close to Todos Santos. Buen Viaje. Tio

thanks so much! embarrassed to say i just found the search function, will prove to be very helpful - will contact you for sure!! :D
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 03:45 PM

....I bet you 10 fish taco's you'll find that you're short on time,,constantly having to uproot yourself to keep to that schedule,,,regret some of the looooong sections of drive, and nowhere is the saying more true than Baja....''tight plans make the devil laugh'',,,there's a lot of variables and wildcards in that 1000miles.

I'd look into flying in to Loreto or Cabo and tour the south range., you might actually be able to relax and enjoy yourselves that way ;)

[Edited on 11-24-2015 by micah202]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
oh man...this is got bajanomad written all over it!:lol: hang on to your seat!

Where are the maps and palm trees, along with a selfie or two. ?

Neveragain: Start out as you have planned leaving your itinerary loose. If you find a place you really enjoy, well enjoy it. Remember you can always come back for more another time.

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 03:55 PM

2X for flying into Cabo and just doing Baja Sur. For safety you want to be off the highway and in a hotel or safe camp by sundown.

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
2X for flying into Cabo and just doing Baja Sur. For safety you want to be off the highway and in a hotel or safe camp by sundown.

...I guess it depends on whether they want something of a baja honeymoon.....or to re-enact the Baja1000 :tumble:
neveragain

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  

...I guess it depends on whether they want something of a baja honeymoon.....or to re-enact the Baja1000 :tumble:

I have a strange obsession with marathon road trips - last 10 day car trip we did was NYC > DETROIT > UPPER PENINSULA MICHIGAN > CHICAGO > NYC (2,318 miles!) so I'm not toooo worried about the driving!

I guess at this point the biggest attraction is the scenery of the peninsula itself, sierra san francisco cave paintings and at least a day or two or beachy relaxation. as long as that's do-able in this 8-9 day stretch i'd be OK skipping out on some stops!

thank you and again i'm sorry for the newbie post here -- doing all the research i possibly can!

[Edited on 11-24-2015 by neveragain]
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 04:24 PM

The time of year you are going is almost perfect to see what most people can only dream about, the whale migration to the lagoons. The best time varies by the year but you can almost be 99% assured that by the end of January you will have whales come up to your Panga. (boat) The debate could go on for pages on which location is best, but use the search function to decide for yourself.
Look on this website to learn how to use the "U2U" and shoot me a message and I will reply and try to help your adventure. The number one rule is NEVER drive at night and all else will fall into place.

Have you considered renting a car as planned and flying home from your last destination?

[Edited on 11-24-2015 by Howard]

[Edited on 11-24-2015 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by neveragain  

I have a strange obsession with marathon road trips - last 10 day car trip we did was NYC > DETROIT > UPPER PENINSULA MICHIGAN > CHICAGO > NYC (2,318 miles!) so I'm not toooo worried about the driving!

I guess at this point the biggest attraction is the scenery of the peninsula itself, sierra san francisco cave paintings and at least a day or two or beachy relaxation. as long as that's do-able in this 8-9 day stretch i'd be OK skipping out on some stops!

thank you and again i'm sorry for the newbie post here -- doing all the research i possibly can!

....okayyy,,,havatit....'U2U' me after your trip,,I'll let yer know where to send the fish taco's :spingrin::tumble:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 04:28 PM

[Edited on 11-24-2015 by neveragain]

Baja Highways are not like roads in the USA. Accidents and death due to inattention, driving at night, or driving too fast happen with regularity. Most seasoned baja drivers do not drive at night.
Aldervale
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 04:31 PM
Night Driving

Hi

Do you know why there is advice to not drive at night?

January there are short periods of daylight so this advice applies even more.

After dark, the narrow asphalt roads will require your attention and take longer than you expect.

After dark, the open range cows WILL be sleeping on that warm comfy asphalt over every little hill.

The rock,sand, and dirt roads Will take you to some magical places....while getting you stuck, lost , scared and tired.

The advice to spend more time in a given area is sound.

How about a daylight thru drive to San Ignacio and then slow down for the remainder of your trip ?

By all means...enjoy.

Aldervale
neveragain

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 04:47 PM

....okayyy,,,havatit....'U2U' me after your trip,,I'll let yer know where to send the fish taco's :spingrin::tumble:

well, you've certainly got me thinking twice! I suppose flying into SJD and avoiding the border stuff in TIJ might buy me more time.. what would I be missing in Baja Norte ?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 04:52 PM

well, you've certainly got me thinking twice! I suppose flying into SJD and avoiding the border stuff in TIJ might buy me more time.. what would I be missing in Baja Norte ?

some of the prettiest country. You will miss so much of what Baja really is by flying into a tourist trap.
neveragain

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

some of the prettiest country. You will miss so much of what Baja really is by flying into a tourist trap.

exactly why my first instinct was to drive the whole thing... i wouldn't mind missing relaxation in favor of long day drives and sightseeing...

the last thing on earth we want to do is spend time in a tourist trap
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 05:05 PM

I would do your trip!!! The desert and the rocks around Cativina are very spectacular. Bay of L A is also worth a stop and look. The middle of baja Is a very special place and should be seen.The drive fromTJ to the tip is 20 to 24 hours, how you divide it up is up to you.
Think about spending the first night in Bay of L A, doable from TJ on the first day and about 40 miles each way off the main road but worth the effort. However having said that. Many of us love Baja and spend time there but why would you let strangers plan your trip. You'll be fine and have a drive of a lifetime.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 05:10 PM

Geez. You already said that you love road trips. There is a tendency on this site to scare folks. My wife and I have been traveling from Orange County California to Cabo for years. Never, ever had a bad experience.

Looking at your original itinerary, I'm guessing that you were planning to see the whales at San Ignacio. San Ignacio is a rather short trip from Guerreo Negro. But, under that itinerary, you would be arriving perhaps a little late in the date for the best whale experience.

When we go to see the whales, we go the Laguna Ojo De Liebre near Guerrero Negro.

We stay at a wonderful hotel in San Quintin called Jardines De Baja, and then go to Guerrero Negro. You may wish to contact Nomad Shari, who supervises whale trip there. She is quite knowledgeable and will definitely enhance your experience.

From Guerrero Negro, you can easily make it to the very cool town of Mulege. Or, if you want to stretch the day a bit, you can make it to Loreto.

What I'm saying is that if you just fly to SJD you will be defeating the purpose of your original idea, as well as not being able to stay in some very nice hotels, eat in some very nice restaurants, and meet some wonderful Mexican folks.

We've made the whale trip at Guerero Negro a number of times. We've also done the trip in San Ignacio. Our experience has been the Guerrero Negro is the better choice.

U2U me if you would like some tips on hotels and restaurants.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.