BajaNomad

There Wasn't Epic Surf in Baja this Weekend, BUT........

Ateo - 11-24-2015 at 06:54 PM

We still had fun. After all, the initial goal was to head down to watch the Baja 1000 and maybe scope out a nearby point break in hopes of finding something rideable.

Mi amigo, Miguel and I bailed SD Wednesday night and stayed at Jardines. The next morning we got stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam in El Rosario while the town people decided to shut down the Transpeninsular Hwy for a celebration. It was cool. We did some shopping while the truck was stuck in traffic at the Left Turn.

We bought vegetables, beer, ice, yogurt, fruit -- it ended up being a good thing - the road closure.

Yater imposter

more to come in a few.........

[Edited on 11-25-2015 by Ateo]

Ateo - 11-24-2015 at 07:01 PM

The road in:

Ateo - 11-24-2015 at 07:02 PM

Ateo - 11-24-2015 at 07:08 PM

Day 2 was a beach day. We body surfed and ate food all day. Talks about happiness.

We were so relaxed that we didn't make it over to the race course to see Honda come thru first.

Ateo - 11-24-2015 at 07:13 PM

With no surf around we decide to bail. Was hoping to see Stuck Sucks, Paul W, but we never connected. I did get some photos of Nomad Tunaeater. I will find them.

Robby Gordon was checkin out of the hotel as we were checking in.

The next day ended in Oceanside........................

elgatoloco - 11-24-2015 at 07:34 PM

There is life without surf?! Who knew? :lol:

Always something to do/see/experience. Good times. :cool:

bajaandy - 11-24-2015 at 07:52 PM

Nice!!! I love that part of Baja! What was the fencing surrounding in that one shot? A well? Great shots of the race as well. Glad you had a good trip. Thanks for the pics!

Ateo - 11-24-2015 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaandy  
Nice!!! I love that part of Baja! What was the fencing surrounding in that one shot? A well? Great shots of the race as well. Glad you had a good trip. Thanks for the pics!

You bring up a good question. That's why I put that in there. Anyone know? Didn't look like a well. Looked like a large PVC pipe with a cut out for a bird to drink out of with some hay.

Any ideas people?

BornFisher - 11-24-2015 at 08:02 PM

Thanks for that report. Looks like you went from poverty digs to Hilton swanky!!! Question-- were you involved in the race? Pit crew or something? Thanks

David K - 11-24-2015 at 08:07 PM

Thanks Jon!

Ateo - 11-24-2015 at 08:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Thanks for that report. Looks like you went from poverty digs to Hilton swanky!!! Question-- were you involved in the race? Pit crew or something? Thanks

Not this time. We have done pits for THR/Precision Concepts/Kawasaki team in the past, but not this race. And yeah, Estero Beach Hotel is very swanky!

Maron - 11-24-2015 at 08:23 PM

Nice photos essay.

TMW - 11-24-2015 at 08:40 PM

Excellent pictures, I saw Tunaeaters 13x in there. Did you forget the surf rods.

Ateo - 11-24-2015 at 09:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Excellent pictures, I saw Tunaeaters 13x in there. Did you forget the surf rods.

This is one of your favorite stretches for fishing if I remember. My rod was in need of some maintenance and I was too lazy to bring it. Big mistake.

winddog - 11-29-2015 at 11:15 AM

Hey nice shot of my truck and camper at Jardines. Thanks. I was headed back to Cardiff after a great trip. No photos just memories.

norte - 11-29-2015 at 11:55 AM

Nice picture of the gravel.

Lee - 11-29-2015 at 01:53 PM

The Great Wallenda said ''The wire is life. Everything else is waiting.''

Surfers make do and wait. I think ''Surfing is life. Everything else is waiting.'' Call me myopic.

StuckSucks - 11-30-2015 at 05:32 PM

REALLY good photos - makes me feel like I was there! Do I see some evidence of mud in a couple photos?

David K - 11-30-2015 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
The Great Wallenda said ''The wire is life. Everything else is waiting.'' ...

Karl Wallenda's nephew Konrad was my employer for a short time. Konrad was in the family business until an accident on the high wire cost him three fingers off his hand. He became a German car mechanic because there was more to life than the wire and you can't fall far from a Mercedes! Uncle Karl died from a fall off the wire a few years after Konrad left.

Chupacabra - 12-1-2015 at 01:50 PM

Awesome pics, thanks!

Lee - 12-1-2015 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
...... He became a German car mechanic because there was more to life than the wire and you can't fall far from a Mercedes! Uncle Karl died from a fall off the wire a few years after Konrad left.

For some, I think it's a calling. Karl felt it, Konrad didn't. Some play it safe, others don't.

Ateo - 12-1-2015 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
REALLY good photos - makes me feel like I was there! Do I see some evidence of mud in a couple photos?

Yeah, we went thru mud......somewhere......don't remember if it was San Q or somewhere on 7 Sisters road. It had rained. There were puddles in that other dry lake north of Chapala in Mex1.

Tomas Tierra - 12-2-2015 at 03:35 PM

I see an island in one of the travel photos..... Cedros?????

Awesome! Thanks for the report!!

TT

Ateo - 12-2-2015 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
I see an island in one of the travel photos..... Cedros?????

Awesome! Thanks for the report!!

TT

Yes. Good eye. One of the Mexican environmentalists that we met out there was from Cedros.

David K - 12-2-2015 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
...... He became a German car mechanic because there was more to life than the wire and you can't fall far from a Mercedes! Uncle Karl died from a fall off the wire a few years after Konrad left.

For some, I think it's a calling. Karl felt it, Konrad didn't. Some play it safe, others don't.

Losing fingers could change how Konrad felt it!